You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RagingxMarmoset

Will I regret it if I don't get Smolensk?

36 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
1,628 posts
2,590 battles

I have enough coal for either Smolensk or Thunderer, and I'm at an impasse. Thunderer fits my atrocious play style better, but I feel like if I don't get Smolensk, she will be pulled and will turn into the Belfast of 2019. Thunderer seems pretty balanced and I think she will be around for a long time. What's your take?

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
5,055 posts
8,197 battles

If you’re concerned about ship scarcity then you should definitely grab Smolensk first. Thunderer has a much better chance of being available late into 2020.

• Cool 1

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,782 posts
11,917 battles
2 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

If you’re concerned about ship scarcity then you should definitely grab Smolensk first. Thunderer has a much better chance of being available late into 2020.

Not to mention much more recent than Smolensk.

[-K-]
Members
8,388 posts
14,391 battles
2 minutes ago, MackDye said:

Only if you actually want it. Believe it or not some people don't care about smolensk.

I've played mine only a handful of times.  I don't enjoy the type of gameplay it tends to ellicit, and frankly, I feel pretty dirty playing it in the first place. 

Definitely prefer ships that require more skill than just holding the left mouse button.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,440 posts
25,565 battles
5 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I probably ought to just pick up Smolensk while the getting it good.

If nothing else, to use for MB hit tasks in PvE.

[USCC]
Members
3,010 posts
13,776 battles
25 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Definitely prefer ships that require more skill than just holding the left mouse button.

My Atlanta if frowning now :Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLFC]
Members
6 posts
12,447 battles
48 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I have enough coal for either Smolensk or Thunderer, and I'm at an impasse. Thunderer fits my atrocious play style better, but I feel like if I don't get Smolensk, she will be pulled and will turn into the Belfast of 2019. Thunderer seems pretty balanced and I think she will be around for a long time. What's your take?

I've been pondering this exact question myself and still haven't decided.  Smolensk seems so dirty...… yet I might want it......

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
5,436 posts
16,488 battles
Just now, Heddonist said:

I've been pondering this exact question myself and still haven't decided.  Smolensk seems so dirty...… yet I might want it......

Me too. I did decide to wait until the ship-with-resources coupon renews later this month. Hopefully they don't pull the ship before that.

[WOLF9]
Members
354 posts

I didn’t get the Missouri, Belfast or Kuznetsov and swore I would never let that happen again. So I got the Musashi, Kronstadt and Smolensk just to be sure. ( not that the last 3 are going to be in the same class)

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
4,025 posts
15,640 battles
1 hour ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Get it before she goes. 

If you want to feel less dirty playing her, then play her more like a UK CL - smoke up near caps to support your DDs, instead of just farming battleships with fires for large damage numbers...

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,734 battles
1 hour ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I do not think they intend on pulling Smol. There are talks of armor nerfs which I find ridiculous as it is already one of the most fragile ships in the game.

Why would they bother nerfing it if they intended on removing it?

• Boring 1

[KOHAI]
Members
84 posts
3,185 battles

Smolensk is arguably bad for the game and OP as of now. If you don't mind the play style and taking advantage of the situation, go for it. I did and like playing CVs, I don't feel bad. I readily admit CVs and Smolensk are not fair, but all is fair in love and war. In all likelihood Thunderer is going nowhere soon, so I'd wait on it

[RLGN]
Members
857 posts
6,721 battles

If never being able to get a ship you wouldn't play anyway would bother you then yes, grab Smol, because he's not gonna stick around.  You can probably take your time with Thunderer because she's probably not going anywhere.

[CYNIC]
Members
2,638 posts
6,305 battles
3 hours ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Considering the HE changes in the work, combined with the armor reduction that smolensk will take even though it's an already soft ship, I'd avoid it.  When it's spotted it gets slapped around hard.  A DM can cit it kiting away for at least 16k from ~13km.  You might find it annoying at times but it has to be one of the softest T10s out there. 

Edited by NoSoMo

[S-N-D]
Banned
3,327 posts
7,738 battles

The ship is and always will be mega OP. It's an Atlanta/DD that can start fires at 19km with good firing arcs.

The patch changes to come mean nothing as Smolensk doesn't require IFHE and the armor changes aren't going to do jack either because you don't tank with a Smolensk you avoid shells at 19km by moving or smoking up. 

Get the Smolensk or live to regret it. In this grind for Puerto Rico there is a fire starting directive, I put 12 up in one match with Smolensk.

Edited by _Caliph_

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
1,226 posts
4,464 battles

If you like holding the left mouse button down then get Smolboi...

I'd skip on the Thunderer and save the coal for something else. I wasn't very impressed by it at all...

Members
224 posts
6,093 battles
4 hours ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Is Smolensk suppose to get an armor nurf when armor is dictated by gun size? That was on one of the videos from the CCs.

[187]
[187]
Members
192 posts
20,460 battles

The Smolensk is a niche ship that can get old pretty quick. It is also facing a possible double nerf when they change IFHE and normalize cruiser armor. The already squishy Smolensk will become even squishier with 16mm plating throughout. If the new IFHE reduces fire chance by 50% watch out ... I routinely average 100 HP dmg per shell, with IFHE. Those 130mm guns do more damage with fire. You said the Thunderer is a better fit for your style so I say get it.

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,734 battles
6 hours ago, Aetius05 said:

Smolensk is arguably bad for the game and OP as of now. If you don't mind the play style and taking advantage of the situation, go for it. I did and like playing CVs, I don't feel bad. I readily admit CVs and Smolensk are not fair, but all is fair in love and war. In all likelihood Thunderer is going nowhere soon, so I'd wait on it

Smolensk is just at about a 50 percent win rate hardly even close to OP.

Members
566 posts
255 battles

wait now, people, this is a complex question. firstly they are tier 10 ships so you wouldn't use either unless you play tier 10, as in ranked. you will probably have more fun in thunderer, and regret not getting smol until jan 13 when it gets nerfed and can't do what it does. or clan battles, which may or may not be tier 10 and may or may not restrict bb's to 1 per team. and that's an inviolable restriction, unlike cv's... then you need smol. you will regret getting smol after jan 13 when it gets nerfed and you're using hindy in clan battles. whichever you get you will be stuck with for a year or two until you farm enough coal for the other, assuming that wg doesn't add a better coal tier 10 ship in the meantime, and wg may nerf coal accumulation cause free stuff = less spending. not like anyone wants to support a game they liked. i personally get credits containers because free account, they give coal half the time anyway. i only play battleships so i won't get smol ever. thunderer is not on my wish list though.  that's all you. these are all paper ships anyway.