Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
contag10n

JB or Thunderer?

18 comments in this topic

[RBMK2]
[RBMK2]
Members
558 posts
11,704 battles

Have the coal to get one, but keep changing my mind.

At T8 for French BBs and T6 for the Brits on the tech tree.

Like the Dunq, dislike Vanguard.

Hate playing against Conqueror almost as much as a CV, but not sure that is relevant.

Since I can't make up my mind figured I would come to the voice of reason that is WoWs forums.

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,533 posts
6,704 battles

Well Thunderer is T10 so you never get uptiered...However IMO JB is competitive at 10 and will see 7?   I don't have but clearly its a very good ship.     I've barely scratched the paint on mine,  but Thunderer is a crazy good ship...   Unique playing style for a BB.  Very much a sniper...but can dish it out with the 457s close if you can keep it alive.       I recommend it for sure..    Sounds like as a trainer the JB might be more useful.          

[RSWF]
Members
98 posts
6,785 battles

JB is my favorite boat.  Flexible, fun, not complicated.

Don't have the Thunderer yet.  Looks like a med-range HE fire starter with a super heal.

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,157 posts
5,192 battles

Depends in what you are after. Thunderer is a very powerful tier 10 BB with it's great 457s, but Jean has so many unique features to bring to the table it's a hard pick. 

Personally I would be in favor of Jean. The main battery reload consumable makes her and Bourgogne worth the price tag alone. You also can strap an engine boost mod on her for 4.5 minutes of flying around the battlefield. 

I would equate Jean is a crossbreed of Bourgogne speed and consumables with Richlieu hull. She is pretty fragile for her tier but has a lot of tools. I dont HE spam in my thunderer, so she is only loosely related to conq, plus she has no superheal. Her HE is good, but 450mm accurate AP is more my fancy. 

Edited by _BBaby

[ARGSY]
Members
20,816 posts
14,813 battles
3 minutes ago, contag10n said:

the voice of reason that is WoWs forums.

:Smile_teethhappy: :Smile_trollface::Smile_teethhappy: :Smile_trollface::Smile_teethhappy: :Smile_trollface::Smile_teethhappy: :Smile_trollface::Smile_teethhappy: :Smile_trollface::Smile_teethhappy: :Smile_trollface::Smile_teethhappy: :Smile_trollface::Smile_teethhappy: :Smile_trollface::Smile_teethhappy: :Smile_trollface::Smile_teethhappy: :Smile_trollface::Smile_teethhappy: :Smile_trollface::Smile_teethhappy: :Smile_trollface::Smile_teethhappy: :Smile_trollface::Smile_teethhappy: :Smile_trollface::Smile_teethhappy: :Smile_trollface::Smile_teethhappy: :Smile_trollface::Smile_teethhappy: :Smile_trollface::Smile_teethhappy: :Smile_trollface::Smile_teethhappy: :Smile_trollface::Smile_teethhappy: :Smile_trollface::Smile_teethhappy: :Smile_trollface:

You're at T8 in the French line? Then you have the Richelieu. Add a touch of speed, trim four seconds off the reload (even BEFORE you use the reload booster), and you have Jean Bart. She's the Richelieu uptiered to T9, but since T8 spent so long facing Tier 10 anyway that shouldn't be an issue. The real letdown is not being able to beat up on T6 in her.

You know roughly what the JB is going to be like. You've been driving her twin sister. But JB, being a T9 premium, brings home a lot more bank. And I THINK the secondaries might be better, if that sort of thing floats your boat.

Do you have to make up your mind before the next coupon drops, or are you making your call independent of that and have the time to do some thinking?

Thunderer would probably make a very good UK captain trainer, because you've got a lot of captain shifts to go before you hit T10, but Nelson can also do that... for 375,000 FXP.

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,533 posts
6,704 battles
16 minutes ago, Hali_greg said:

JB is my favorite boat.  Flexible, fun, not complicated.

Don't have the Thunderer yet.  Looks like a med-range HE fire starter with a super heal.

Thunderer doesn't get the super heal.    It is a long range sniper...  It doesn't even know the meaning of dispersion. The accuracy is that good.  Fire chances with HE are insane?   61% I believe?      If you play it at medium ranges or less its lighter armor becomes very suspect.    Its a very very good glass cannon BB.   

Members
660 posts
72 battles
34 minutes ago, contag10n said:

Have the coal to get one, but keep changing my mind.

At T8 for French BBs and T6 for the Brits on the tech tree.

Like the Dunq, dislike Vanguard.

Hate playing against Conqueror almost as much as a CV, but not sure that is relevant.

Since I can't make up my mind figured I would come to the voice of reason that is WoWs forums.

JB is one of my absolute favourite ships. You never have a bad or boring game in her.

That said, Thunderer is next on my list, grinding the coal, and will buy it at christmas with the new coupon. T seems to be a monster for an above average to skilled player. Cruiser dispertion with guns that almost match Yamato. Crazy 61-63 % firechans on its HE, saw someone had a game with 370 K damage in her. Think the skill roof is a bit higher in T and JB is much more forgiving.

So its more up to you skill level and what you like. JB is fun and good but T is a potential monster.

Beta Testers
128 posts
11,462 battles

Honestly.... both?  :) They're both great boats, good captain trainers (perks on tech tree BBs will translate well to the premium ships), and both are a lot of fun to play. 

As stated, Thunderer is a glass cannon sniper and both its HE and AP are devastating. JB really outperforms a lot of T9 bbs and some T10s as well, and is a good bow-tank boat and what Rich should've been. I don't see either going away any time soon, but JB has definitely been around longer, so if you have any fears of it disappearing, then JB. But honestly you can't go wrong with either. 

[RLGN]
Members
14,523 posts
25,710 battles

Never played Warspite?

Personally love Vanguard.

It’s like Wargranny bought a Shelby Corbra and got a NiOx injector.

Only have DQ and Gascogne. (Like DQ, first MN 19 pointer on it, but not really a fan of G’s turret layout.)

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[90THB]
Members
180 posts
6,150 battles

Jean Bart is one of the most fun BBs in the game, hands down.  It's ridiculous what you can do with that reload booster, and I've found her to be more accurate the Richie.  Cruiser thinks they're safe since you just fired and turns broadside. You hit the booster and fire less than 10 seconds later and blap!  DD is spotted, you unload your AP, hit the booster while switching to HE and get 2 salvoes off before the DD can go dark and usually, blap!You also have among the best AA on any ship.  My motto when driving the JB goes something like,  "In Main Battery Reload Booster we trust."

[RBMK2]
[RBMK2]
Members
558 posts
11,704 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Do you have to make up your mind before the next coupon drops, or are you making your call independent of that and have the time to do some thinking?

Thunderer would probably make a very good UK captain trainer, because you've got a lot of captain shifts to go before you hit T10, but Nelson can also do that... for 375,000 FXP.

I already have the Nelson, maybe my 2nd favorite boat, right behind the Georgia.

So see my dilemma, I like bowtanking (a stretch for Nelson, but you know what I mean) and I like big gun range ships.

Also the Mass is my most played boat.

Coal ship will be w/o coupon as I save those for Steel ships most of the time.

Beta Testers
238 posts
5,925 battles

Thunderer if you know how to lead targets properly, the gunz on that thing are unforgiving and you have both awesome HE and AP shells so you cant go wrong.

JB fast firing rate and the reload consumable is extremely powerful but the ship is fragile and due to its set up its easy to go bow on and regret it after wards.

For first pick i would go Thunderer and once you mastered its sniping capabilities you will be able to score massive hits with the JB and make good use of the reload consumable

Members
2,439 posts
5,404 battles

Never liked the JB. Just a fast boat with crap dispersion coated in 32mm armor.

whenever I play in a cruiser that’s a good fire starter and IFHe equipped i laugh at all JBs who want to pick a fight 

[AK]
Members
298 posts
11,019 battles

If you're very active in Clan battles it never hurts to have another T10 Battleship. Otherwise get the JB. Fun boat and good credit maker.

[MNR]
[MNR]
Members
71 posts
3,895 battles

I got Thunderer and her guns are really unforgiving,  I pity the bots and players on the receiving end of it.

Sign in to follow this