Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Black_Sheep9

Refunds for boosters?

41 comments in this topic

[OGRES]
[OGRES]
Beta Testers
681 posts
17,998 battles

So since even the WG employees can not give a answer when asked on stream how much time and or directives you can miss with purchased boosters, can we get our doubloons refunded with a ticket?

• Funny 1

Beta Testers
342 posts
11,701 battles

This is what I want to know, I spent 6,000 doubloons that I've been saving for a year on the first booster. 

Supertester
595 posts
14,878 battles

@Femennenly

This is a great question as MANY players will buy boosters, but will be unaware they still have an enormous grind that most will not complete to get the PR. There is no way for the player to know what will get them the PR in time without really digging into it, which is something the majority of players won't do. 

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Members
13,391 posts

There are a lot of variables for determining if you can complete it with just the first booster. Of course on a stream they cannot give you an exact answer. Thankfully others here on the forums have done a lot of work and could give you an idea based on when when you plan to finish directives and how many daily missions you will do.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,801 posts
Just now, saintsfan1622000 said:

@Femennenly

This is a great question as MANY players will buy boosters, but will be unaware they still have an enormous grind that most will not complete to get the PR. There is no way for the player to know what will get them the PR in time without really digging into it, which is something the majority of players won't do. 

While I agree that the grind is crazy, not "digging into" a purchase before making that purchase, not understanding what they are purchasing with their money, is not WG's fault.

If that were the case, anyone could purchase a premium ship, play it some, then turn around and say "I didn't understand how that premium ship worked, so I want my money back".

• Boring 2

Beta Testers
906 posts
3,533 battles
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

While I agree that the grind is crazy, not "digging into" a purchase before making that purchase, not understanding what they are purchasing with their money, is not WG's fault.

If that were the case, anyone could purchase a premium ship, play it some, then turn around and say "I didn't understand how that premium ship worked, so I want my money back".

Um yes, in this case it is because they are hiding the math.

[A-D-F]
7,801 posts
4 minutes ago, BlackAngelCom said:

They didn't provide the math, they didn't do it for the players.  That is absolutely true and it sure would have been nice if they did, no doubt.

They didn't hide anything though.  The information needed was there, at the time purchase and it didn't change after the purchase was made.

Beta Testers
906 posts
3,533 battles
9 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

They didn't provide the math, they didn't do it for the players.  That is absolutely true and it sure would have been nice if they did, no doubt.

They didn't hide anything though.  The information needed was there, at the time purchase and it didn't change after the purchase was made.

They actually are hiding the completion tracker, though. It's not currently active and there's no in-game hint that buying a booster won't get you out of the most difficult parts of the grind. I'm pretty sharp at this and I calculated initially one booster up front would still leave me having to do Directives 1-5. This is the only way I would consider this as even if I activated enough ships to do Directive 7, Directive 7's timing is impossible. More in-depth analysis today shows that it actually requires Directives 1-6 and completing all of them promptly, within 4 calendar days, no bleed over. There's no hint of that in the client because the PPM completion estimator isn't active until construction starts. Coincidentally...

Everything about this is designed to lure people in and then make bank on sunk cost fallacy, either from buying additional boosters or hitting the complete now button.

[A-D-F]
7,801 posts
11 minutes ago, BlackAngelCom said:

They actually are hiding the completion tracker, though. It's not currently active

The event hasn't begun yet.  The event clock doesn't start running until the 16th, at which point the tracker will activate.  Right now, there is no progress to track.

I do agree that this event needed a lot of digging to make an informed decision and that it is very different than the ones in the past.  That's why I waited before I decided if I was going to spend money, to make sure that I understood what I would be getting in exchange.

If WG does a refund out of good faith, then cool.  It's up to them though and that good faith. 

They can't refund "I didn't understand" as a policy.  That leads to suddenly everyone didn't understand every purchase.

[POOII]
Members
474 posts
2,798 battles

No matter what they do now, people will be mad. Lets say the reduce the grind so more people can get the ship or extend the time, the people that dropped $300 dollars on it will be outraged. 

• Funny 1

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,521 battles
6 minutes ago, BlackAngelCom said:

5 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

They didn't provide the math, they didn't do it for the players.  That is absolutely true and it sure would have been nice if it was.

As Burnsy states they didn't give us a chart with all the various if/then cases filled in, no should they though it would have been nice. They did provide enough details though that several players have worked out the if/then cases and posted them. All that I have seen of them have a common element and that is no purchases is needed unless a player wants instant gratification rather that just playing for the reward. 

Those now regretting spending the doubloons to speed things up have nothing to complain about since they didn't bother to do the if/then cases themselves before pressing the purchase now button.

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,521 battles
2 minutes ago, Slumlord_Dasboot said:

Lets say the reduce the grind so more people can get the ship or extend the time, the people that dropped $300 dollars on it will be outraged. 

and those who didn't get it free because they didn't put in the effort will be outraged also.

[OGRES]
[OGRES]
Beta Testers
681 posts
17,998 battles
8 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

As Burnsy states they didn't give us a chart with all the various if/then cases filled in, no should they though it would have been nice. They did provide enough details though that several players have worked out the if/then cases and posted them. All that I have seen of them have a common element and that is no purchases is needed unless a player wants instant gratification rather that just playing for the reward. 

Those now regretting spending the doubloons to speed things up have nothing to complain about since they didn't bother to do the if/then cases themselves before pressing the purchase now button.

None of that information was available when it went live, matter of fact those who did do the math had to wait for confirmation from WG on the exact numbers to calculate.  Most people that likely purchased the booster immediately did so thinking it would be obtainable with a little extra speed with the booster attached.  I did have some faith in WG of having a reasonable grind. 

Edited by Black_Sheep9
  • Funny 2

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,968 posts
15,023 battles
34 minutes ago, TheOmegaDuck said:

Have a go at it, but I don't think you'll get anywhere. Historically, WG's rarely given refunds of any sort.

well they did with the graf fiasco zeppelin

[A-D-F]
7,801 posts
7 minutes ago, Black_Sheep9 said:

None of that information was available when it went live, matter of fact those who did do the math had to wait for confirmation from WG on the exact numbers to calculate.  Most people that likely purchased the booster immediately did so thinking it would be obtainable with a little extra speed with the booster attached.  I did have some faith in WG of having a reasonable grind. 

I think you might do better asking WG for a refund in good faith (and I hope they do) than attacking from a "you lied" perspective, because I don't think they did.

At any rate, good luck. 

• Cool 1

[HDR]
Beta Testers
315 posts
7,366 battles
19 minutes ago, Slumlord_Dasboot said:

No matter what they do now, people will be mad. Lets say the reduce the grind so more people can get the ship or extend the time, the people that dropped $300 dollars on it will be outraged. 

Your right of course but its crazy that they could cut the grind in half and it would still be the longest grind by a million miles than the Benham was.

Beta Testers
906 posts
3,533 battles
21 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

The event hasn't begun yet.  The event clock doesn't start running until the 16th, at which point the tracker will activate.  Right now, there is no progress to track.

I do agree that this event needed a lot of digging to make an informed decision and that it is very different than the ones in the past.  That's why I waited before I decided if I was going to spend money, to make sure that I understood what I would be getting in exchange.

If WG does a refund out of good faith, then cool.  It's up to them though and that good faith. 

They can't refund "I didn't understand" as a policy.  That leads to suddenly everyone didn't understand every purchase.

They're taking money and advertising they will take money but they are deliberately obscuring the information that 1 or 2 doubloon boosters doesn't spare you from most of the grind. C'mon, why do you think they are doing that? There's nowhere to click to see base rate of completion or what your accumulated points will get you, which is already as opaque as possible.

The way this system works is

-- People buy 1 doubloon booster blind, then realize mid-event this is inadequate and buy another one.

-- People buy *two* doubloon boosters blind, then realize mid-event this is inadequate and buy another one.

-- People buy a booster during the event, realize this is inadequate or have the event end slammed on them and then are propositioned to either buy more or pay to finish the ship

-- People aren't paying attention and don't follow the math as it is going along, then panic and buy something if not the ship.

The entire event is scammy.

Members
78 posts
2,227 battles

I'll probably put in a ticket for a 6k dub refund tonight, too.  I think I'd rather just play with my new Santa crate ships than mess with this thing.  I would be OK with paying the 24k doubloons if I could figure out how many more boosts I would need, and when I would need to use them.

[-SCL-]
[-SCL-]
Members
19 posts
4,128 battles
51 minutes ago, saintsfan1622000 said:

@Femennenly

That's deliberate so people spend the cash even if they have no realistic way to complete.  If WG say otherwise then they are being disingenuous, it has deliberately been made as confusing and opaque as possible.

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this