You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
mr_angry_eyes

Excessive grinds are bad for Morale even if most don't benefit from the rewards.

11 comments in this topic

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
196 posts
6,119 battles

I fail to understand how the increase in grind and predatory monetization will attract more players in an aging game.

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,521 battles

A so called grind is what one makes of it. Since Beta testing I have just been playing regularly and enjoying what is given for completing tasks just for playing. My morale has been fine from the start. 

Monetization here is hardly predatory. Everyone here is supposed to be a responsible, reasonable adult with enough on the ball to not be preyed upon. If one is spending too much on shiny pixel object in a game that's their fault not the person offering the shiny pixel objects. 

Sure the PR build and the directives that go along with it are rather daunting but they should be since lack of challenges would make the game dull in short order.

• Boring 2

[TBW]
Members
10,363 posts
17,639 battles

I have been grinding something or other since the first day I played. I missed the Kamikaze R by that much.

The grind is starting to get old though. Over 50 battles yesterday for snowflakes and still 150 to go. I have the time to grind the PR, but too much game, kind of makes me bored of the game.

[CNO]
Members
5,958 posts
18,107 battles
5 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

A so called grind is what one makes of it. Since Beta testing I have just been playing regularly and enjoying what is given for completing tasks just for playing. My morale has been fine from the start. 

Yes.  I enjoy the game.  Play every night.  Just a few here...and a few there.  More on weekends.  The slooooow grind over many years yields a very big fleet.  In fact, I can't keep up.  That's fine....'cause that means I've got years of content yet to discover.  

A grind for the PR is just that...a grind.  Some players enjoy grinds.  Enjoy the hunt.  For those...go for it....enjoy it.  But if you don't enjoy grinds.  Don't sweat it.  Enjoy everything else this fine game has to offer.

I'm technically inclined.  But I get enough of that at work.  Sometimes, I like simple.  Just figuring out how PR works is a pain (to me).  I'm sure the actual grind would be much worse.  So I'm not sweating it.  I'm playing what I play, buying a few santa crates, and having fun.

• Cool 3

Members
39 posts
1,793 battles

I'm beginning to wonder if these are bad times for this game that they need to make a quick cash grab for the WG ship to stay afloat and will navigate with their moral compass to get uninformed players to dump loads of doubloons for a little less grinding on a pixel bote. 

[WOLF1]
Members
2,878 posts
2 minutes ago, Red_Wedding_Planner said:

I'm beginning to wonder if these are bad times for this game that they need to make a quick cash grab for the WG ship to stay afloat and will navigate with their moral compass to get uninformed players to dump loads of doubloons for a little less grinding on a pixel bote. 

year end is bonus time

i agree forcing us to grind is no good for anyone, WG won't get more money making us grind

my guess is PR is not really intended for free, but if WG sells it for $200 people will freak out, so they developed this elaborate scheme so essentially doing the same thing, but players fall for it~

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
196 posts
6,119 battles

I am convinced that as the player base dwindles those who live the sunk cost fallacy will be increasingly targeted.

Members
39 posts
1,793 battles
1 minute ago, Happy668 said:

year end is bonus time

i agree forcing us to grind is no good for anyone, WG won't get more money making us grind

my guess is PR is not really intended for free, but if WG sells it for $200 people will freak out, so they developed this elaborate scheme so essentially doing the same thing, but players fall for it~

That's the problem. False ad, bait and switch, lying, trickery, etc. You name it.

[MINVY]
[MINVY]
Members
749 posts
6,757 battles

Anyone know if that last 35k buy it now option is prorated by your progress? If you get 90% there and wont have it in time, would the cost be less?

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
1 hour ago, mr_angry_eyes said:

I fail to understand how the increase in grind and predatory monetization will attract more players in an aging game.

While I am definitely *not* into what Wargaming has done, and frankly, their overall attitude towards grind, it has more to do with execution than concept. 'Excessive' grinds can not only be fine, but actually attractive, for example games like the Persona's, or many MMO's (WoW, SWToR, ect), or most fighting games like Street Fighter, have LOOOONG grinds to unlock all content/achievements, but a key aspect is that 1) they are either CoOp or Single Player focused, making pace-control *much* more on the player, thus making them feel in control, and thus making it feel better, and 2) when they *are* PvP focused, matches and balance are designed to give rewards based on performance, not end state, which again shifts control to the individual and their own pacing as opposed to be overly dependent on the team