Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Aurora_7

Give up nearly all my US CAs

13 comments in this topic

[AK-49]
Members
374 posts
7,469 battles

-except for me New Orleans. That that has sentimental value for me.

But I had gotten the Baltimore and Buffalo and wasn't terribly pleased by them. Good guns but thin in hull protection and I liked having a torp option and the American though process for CAs was mostly no torpedoes.  I need some fish if not just to make a red ship alter her course when trying to engage me.

I primarily use IJN and Kriegsmarine CAs. I originally was going to grind to get an auto-loading Des Moines but I find I've grown accustom to torps as part of my arsenal; 

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,231 posts
4,119 battles

Des Memes doesn't need torps, Autoloading AP makes people change course pretty fast. If you're at Buffalo finish it out, the Des Moines is absolutely worth it.

• Cool 4

[AK-49]
Members
374 posts
7,469 battles
32 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Des Memes doesn't need torps, Autoloading AP makes people change course pretty fast. If you're at Buffalo finish it out, the Des Moines is absolutely worth it.

After being on the receiving end of a  Des Moines fire a few times, I was thinking the same thing. 

Edited by Aurora_7

[CVA16]
Members
5,436 posts
16,488 battles

Lack of torps is historical but the added IRL benefits from their removal are not really reflected in game. The AA is better but other lines WITH torps come close. IRL torps could be a major hazard on deck as you have huge warheads and fuel (especially those oxygen fueled IJN torps) sitting there just waiting for a stray bullet or hot shrapnel to set them off. WG should give US cruisers (or any torp deprived cruisers) a bump in fire protection at least to compensate. In game there is no reason not to want torps. I would sacrifice a pair of 5" turrets for some torps on the US cruisers, but that will never happen.

Overall I never clicked with the Buffalo either. 12 guns should have made it great but not for me. Baltimore was OK and the DM is a definite improvement (it is a tier higher after all).

[AK-49]
Members
374 posts
7,469 battles
3 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Baltimore was OK ...

Had me Baltimore rigged as a AA platform and worked good until we went into the CV dry spell and there was no real planes to shoot at anymore. Ended up getting rid of her to get an Ibuki.

[1984]
Members
4,180 posts
20,264 battles
13 minutes ago, Aurora_7 said:

Had me Baltimore rigged as a AA platform and worked good until we went into the CV dry spell and there was no real planes to shoot at anymore. Ended up getting rid of her to get an Ibuki.

Never sell, that cost you 75 steel (this time around, at anniversary time it cost you a crate or coal). I learnt that lesson the first time i sold my tier 9s.

[CVA16]
Members
5,436 posts
16,488 battles
20 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

Never sell, that cost you 75 steel (this time around, at anniversary time it cost you a crate or coal). I learnt that lesson the first time i sold my tier 9s.

I tend to hang on to MOST of my ships but will occasionally drop one I hated to free up a port slot and move the captain. Having lots of ships (and coop) is great when the snowflake events come around.

37 minutes ago, Aurora_7 said:

Had me Baltimore rigged as a AA platform

Never had a lot of luck with AA specced ships. When I bring one there either are no CVs or they stay far away from me. Only in certain OPs can you dependably wrack up the plane kills.

[AK-49]
Members
374 posts
7,469 battles
14 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Never had a lot of luck with AA specced ships. When I bring one there either are no CVs or they stay far away from me. Only in certain OPs can you dependably wrack up the plane kills.

Yeah, surprisingly (to me) my Prinz Eugen is the champion plane killer of my fleet. 

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,613 posts
14,870 battles
19 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

That means it's working!

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,543 posts
4,653 battles

I like the US cruiser line a lot.  I prefer a gunfight to trying to close and get torpedo hits.  Some of the line has thin armor but you can usually play around that by positioning correctly.  The US 8" guns are absolutely devastating on other cruisers with the possible exception of the German ones at higher tiers.  You get turned even halfway broadside in a cruiser to a Des Moines and you won't do it again.  You'll get citadeled in a second.  Try playing a Zao versus a Des Moines some time. The second that Des Moines gets a piece of you broadside you go from hero to zero in a salvo and your torps are trying to hit someone 12 KM away.  Good luck there.

Everybody complains about US cruiser radar too.  It's the consumable that generates probably the most hate in the game.

Play a carrier and you learn quick to avoid US cruisers--well US ships in general-- as the AA is devastating.

The lack of torpedoes is hardly noticeable once you get used to staying out 10 + KM from targets.  With some foresight and judicious use of hydro you can usually avoid those long range torpedo spreads and still slam down hard on an opponent using guns.

It's not like the US line is super advantaged.  You just have know how to play it and use the strengths while avoiding the weaknesses.

I have lots of fun with my Pensacola in scenario games.  That ship is an absolute beast for gunnery.  Sure the armor is tinfoil, and turret rotation is horrid but if you play it right it takes top slot every other game.  Those 8" guns are just devastating to everything but a well protected battleship.

[CVA16]
Members
5,436 posts
16,488 battles
36 minutes ago, Murotsu said:

I prefer a gunfight to trying to close and get torpedo hits. 

It isn't always TRYING to get close for torpedo hits. Its having them to keep a BB from happily sailing around your waifu island to blap you (he knows it may cost him).  It is tough to stay at range if you are using an island for cover. Other times it is that last great act of defiance where you know you are going to die, but once again, you can make them pay even after you are dead. I have had many cases where I am sailing close range to an enemy in a US cruiser wishing I had torps for that alpha strike. In ships with torps, I may actually survive the encounter 'cuz the BB/CA never got that final salvo off. If nothing else, torps give you the ability to screw up and still inflict a lot of pain on the enemy. For the US line, you have to learn to live without them.

Members
7 posts
3,112 battles

I have to say the grind to the Des Moines is painful, but in the end its a really nice payoff... the Des Moines and Salem ( if you have the coal ) are beasts.

[AK-49]
Members
374 posts
7,469 battles

So I sold my Alsace to get the Buffalo back. I'm deciding to keep keep just my Richelieu for a battleship and everything else is a CA (except also 1 low tier french DD to practice with DDs on).

Admittedly the announcement of a coming 1/350 kit of the Des Moines helped a lot with that decision. I like getting kits of my favorite ships in the game.

Sign in to follow this