Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Thunder_Feet

Gorizia as a co-op bote

28 comments in this topic

[WOOK1]
Members
427 posts
14,557 battles

BLUF:  This ship is worth having in your Italian Cruiser line, unless you're already into the high tiers and have your captains fully trained.  This evaluation is for the co-op main, and doesn't directly reflect on how well it does in Random or Operations, but I think it might do well in ops and will give it a try.

THUNDERFOOT's Crawfish Rating:  13/20.

---------------------------------

Yesterday I bought Gorizia, and did so for two reasons:  Primarily, I am grinding my Sansonetti skipper up to 19 points, and the more trainers for that, the better.  Secondarily, Gorizia is a huge boost towards the Puerto Rico build.  Now, I am not posting this to open a discussion on the PR build, there are plenty of those out there already, and I'd ask that commenters not thread steal this into a discussion of that aspect of this ship and its role in "get-'r-done" for the shipbuilding.

The ship plays well in co-op and was an easy ship to settle into - for me, anyway.  For starters, it is a gunboat, no torps, and quite frankly, my other Italian mid-tier cruisers I find the slowpedoes to be of very little use anyway.  The lack of those simply means you can focus on what this ship can do.

The rate of fire isn't fast, but not deal-breaker slow, either.  I don't find myself chafing for reloads that often, usually only having to wait 3 or for seconds after selecting and aiming anyway.  The turrets also are a bit slow, but again, not super bad.  Usually I found them to be on target by the time I had guns loaded anyway.  I'm beginning to like SAP a lot, and the Italian AP is pretty decent... suggest that Expert Loader is a good skill.  So for gun-related features, I give this ship 3 out of five rating points, which I've just decided to call in my evaluations crawfish.  So the ship so far gets 3/5 crawfish.

I didn't find problems with rudder damage or engines out.  Each may have happened maybe once, but nothing stands out in my memory.  The boat maneuvers well, has decent speed, so again, it's not write home to mama good, but not bad either.  The hit point pool is also pretty average for tier and type, nothing outstanding or awful there... but here's the first "better than most" I experienced:  If you keep Gorizia angled, it seems to take a hit pretty well.  Of course, it can be overmatched and take serious damage esp. from a heavy cruiser or BB, but it is a long way from a paper-hull ship.  So for maneuver I'm awarding 3 of 5 and for survivability 4 of 5, for a running total so far of 10/15 crawfish.

Another aspect I'm going to put in this review is economics.  The boat makes money even when you have a "meh" battle.  Nothing can fix being sunk fresh out of spawn, of course, but if damage dealt is at all significant, it makes enough money to put on one premium consumable (damage control party) and not be in red ink.  I wouldn't put it among my "credit grind" ships, but it's not half bad. 3 of 5 crawfish, so I'm going to end my observations by giving the Gorizia an overall rating of 13/20 crawfish.

So, in about 24 hours, I played the ship in co-op 11 times and got my first directive in it done.  Here's the screenshot of my results:

1017408123_WorldofWarships12_12_20199_35_34AM.thumb.png.52cece8eca2d7cdde77a1307cce8d459.png

The bottom line:  This ship is my favorite of the 4 Italian cruisers in my port, edging out Trento.  Much of an improvement over Montecuccoli and Genova, at least for me.  As always, YMMV.

• Cool 2

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,613 posts
14,962 battles

I don't think it's a good coop boat. You really want something with more dpm (and torp dpm) for coop or the rest of the humans on your team are just sweeping up all the XP.

• Cool 2

[WOOK1]
Members
427 posts
14,557 battles
2 minutes ago, pikohan said:

I don't think it's a good coop boat. You really want something with more dpm (and torp dpm) for coop or the rest of the humans on your team are just sweeping up all the XP.

I don't think an average Base XP per game over 11 games of 521 is half bad.  Different strokes for different folks.  You may be a much better player than me and have higher requirements, perhaps?

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,663 posts
35,337 battles

Gorizia good? Nah

It is a Myoko that can't start fires.

[WOOK1]
Members
427 posts
14,557 battles
9 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Gorizia good? Nah

It is a Myoko that can't start fires.

I don't think I classified it as "good", and actually, 13/20 is just a little higher than "middling".  But I sure do have a lot of other ships that are worse, including the other Italian cruisers I have - maybe Trento comes close but it didn't "click" with me like Gorizia.  I think it's worth having, and would give up quite a few others before this, if push came to shove.

Something I forgot to put in the post is ballistics and dispersion... I didn't see a whole lot of "flyers" in the shells I sent downrange, and the shell arc is flat, which I appreciate.  DPM is great as long as it gets delivered.

SAP doesn't start fires, but it does a lot of damage if you hit the right spots.  Trade-off.  There's not a lot of time in a co-op for fires to burn, so maybe SAP is actually a bit better for that mode? 

[WOLF9]
Members
4,528 posts

TBH, the issue isn't Gorizia.   Aside from maybe needing a small reload buff to give it a lil something to replace the absent torpedoes and make it stand out from Zara  (a consumable of limited usefulness in Co-op doesn't qualify a a lil somethin' imo), the ship is pretty decent as is.

Remember, the US cruisers get a nice buff to their gun handling and AP pen, as a result of having no torps.

The REAL problem, though, is the current crop of players!   And the event that's encouraging them.    Co-op has been an absolutely miserable experience since the update went live.   Games are over super fast, as players attempt to farm X as furiously and quickly as possible.   This leads not only to a poor quality game experience;  extreme frustration; and  low damage/XP/Credit matches- but also it also results in the missions taking even longer to do!    Some are well nigh impossible- like the DD fire damage mission.   You light a fire- the bot extinguishes it immediately, rinse repeat.  Or some dink hole murders it.   After playing DD's for hours yesterday, I have barely 15k fire damage.  And credit or base XP?  Fuggedaboutit!

It's like the beaches of Iwo Jima all up in there...  You can almost walk across the shell and torp spam.

I ended up switching to the dreaded Randoms.   Another annoying playstyle, but it pays better.   Maybe my suckage at pvp-ing will make things as irritating for them as their invasion of pve for EZ kills makes it for us...  And it's 65 freaking kills, so it won't be ending any time soon...   

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
20,790 posts
14,794 battles
11 minutes ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

The REAL problem, though, is the current crop of players!   And the event that's encouraging them.    Co-op has been an absolutely miserable experience since the update went live.

I don't think you can let the current, very abnormal meta be an indication of the ship in general.

The one good thing about the current situation is that the fast games are making it easy to blow off snowflakes. Bizarrely, I'm having better luck keeping fires lit in my BB's and cruisers.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,528 posts

I don't think you can let the current, very abnormal meta be an indication of the ship in general.

The one good thing about the current situation is that the fast games are making it easy to blow off snowflakes. Bizarrely, I'm having better luck keeping fires lit in my BB's and cruisers.

And that's the really irritating part:   The fire DAMAGE mission is for DD's and CV's only.    Cruisers and BB's have a # of fires mission.

I'd say "abnormal" is debatable.   It's the same meta- just to a more extreme degree.    But I just pointed that out to show that playing Gorizia right now likely won't give you the best measure of the ship.   The current Co-op is heavily skewed against ship like this.  (if you don't have god-like dpm, with rapid firing guns, or fast, hard hitting torpedoes,  you're left competing for scraps.)

I plan on trying it out in Randoms later,  just to see how it does.  (Trento and Zara did decently well, considering the teams I had)   Just find yourself a BB or CA cut off from the herd, and that main battery hit mission can be accelerated, lol.

• Cool 1

[P-V-E]
Members
1,508 posts

my opinion is, Zara is much more effective in almost every area, longer gun range when upgraded, faster gun reload, better AA and torpedoes too.

Gorizia is just a nerfed Zara when it comes to coop, it may have some use in PvP, but there are arguably better ships at tier VII like Zara :Smile_facepalm:

[WOOK1]
Members
427 posts
14,557 battles
5 hours ago, b101uk said:

my opinion is, Zara is much more effective in almost every area, longer gun range when upgraded, faster gun reload, better AA and torpedoes too.

Gorizia is just a nerfed Zara when it comes to coop, it may have some use in PvP, but there are arguably better ships at tier VII like Zara :Smile_facepalm:

You may well be right, and I'm not far from Zara, probably about the last week of December.

[SRPH]
Members
92 posts
1,608 battles
17 hours ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

TBH, the issue isn't Gorizia.   Aside from maybe needing a small reload buff to give it a lil something to replace the absent torpedoes and make it stand out from Zara  (a consumable of limited usefulness in Co-op doesn't qualify a a lil somethin' imo), the ship is pretty decent as is.

Remember, the US cruisers get a nice buff to their gun handling and AP pen, as a result of having no torps.

The REAL problem, though, is the current crop of players!   And the event that's encouraging them.    Co-op has been an absolutely miserable experience since the update went live.   Games are over super fast, as players attempt to farm X as furiously and quickly as possible.   This leads not only to a poor quality game experience;  extreme frustration; and  low damage/XP/Credit matches- but also it also results in the missions taking even longer to do!    Some are well nigh impossible- like the DD fire damage mission.   You light a fire- the bot extinguishes it immediately, rinse repeat.  Or some dink hole murders it.   After playing DD's for hours yesterday, I have barely 15k fire damage.  And credit or base XP?  Fuggedaboutit!

It's like the beaches of Iwo Jima all up in there...  You can almost walk across the shell and torp spam.

I ended up switching to the dreaded Randoms.   Another annoying playstyle, but it pays better.   Maybe my suckage at pvp-ing will make things as irritating for them as their invasion of pve for EZ kills makes it for us...  And it's 65 freaking kills, so it won't be ending any time soon...   

OMG this. It’s all ram, ram, ram, ram. Spawn in with five BBs, they yolo in and go out one by one ramming into enemy ships. Or spawn in with five DDs and walk on the torpedoes. I’m in an Abruzzi and barely have time to get set and start shooting! Those ships are paper thin, yoloing in is instant death so you’ve got to get set and kite. None of that in the current ram fest! 

• Cool 1

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
564 posts
5,265 battles

I got the Gorizia early to help grind to the Gorizia. I was going to buy some dubs anyway, so why not. I am having a great time with it in Coop. I won't post stats, I ain't that good but spreadsheet says I am improving. :) It is fun to drive and that is what matters to me. Don't have Zara but I should have no trouble getting Trento via the CM's so that will ease the grind there.

[CO-OP]
Members
1,602 posts
25,232 battles

Not enjoying her at all, she's slow, hardly what I would call agile, turrets can't keep up with a turn, AP is not good, SAP is well SAP. Slowly getting to grips with her but it's a bit like pulling teeth sans anaesthesia right now.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,528 posts
1 hour ago, SkullCowboy_60 said:

I got the Gorizia early to help grind to the Gorizia. I was going to buy some dubs anyway, so why not. I am having a great time with it in Coop. I won't post stats, I ain't that good but spreadsheet says I am improving. :) It is fun to drive and that is what matters to me. Don't have Zara but I should have no trouble getting Trento via the CM's so that will ease the grind there.

I buckled down, and ground HARD to get the 400 main battery hits mission done today.    It's the only one of the free ship missions that requires Gorizia- the rest can be done in any ship.

Ended up taking it to Randoms, because the Co-op games were over so freaking fast, I was lucky to get 10-12 hits!    Anyhow,  it worked pretty well!   I actually like it, now!   Got er done fairly quickly- nearly making enough XP along the way to finish it, if it were a tech tree ship, lol.    The hang back a bit, and focus fire meta lends itself to ships like this.   Games last long enough to accumulate hits and damage, and not having torps isn't that big a deal. (you play mostly out of torp range anyway)    Learning to drive Zara was a piece of cake, after that.

Now I can work on the rest by default, as I burn off snowflakes, grind grinders, and play favorites.     I also got all but three of the directive 1 missions done:   Glorizia damage;  DD fire damage. (not in THIS meta...); and CV credits.   Ironically, the ones I thought would be the hardest were the first completed, lol.

All I need is FOUR freaking caps; assists; defenses to get my first free tier6.  

Weird- everyone dislikes Gorizia, I like it.   I also like the tier 5 premium quite a bit.   (having 4 torp launchers instead of 2 imporves my hit rate a lot.)

Gorizia isn't my choice for a big damage, massive game ship- but it is effective, and it gets the job done.

• Cool 3

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
271 posts
7,298 battles
14 hours ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

All I need is FOUR freaking caps; assists; defenses to get my first free tier6.

Cap defenses are ridiculously easy to get in co-op as long as you get a Domination match. Grab a gunboat DD, zoom up to the nearest cap but DON'T go inside it, then blast away at anything that enters, smoking up as needed.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,528 posts
6 hours ago, Haifischkoeder said:

Cap defenses are ridiculously easy to get in co-op as long as you get a Domination match. Grab a gunboat DD, zoom up to the nearest cap but DON'T go inside it, then blast away at anything that enters, smoking up as needed.

That's true- in normal co-op matches.   These aren't normal- they're 3 minute torp n slugfests that don't last long enough for any capping to get done...    It's the old NO CAP KILL ALL!!! taken to it's grossest extreme, lol.

I did manage to get them all later on- I got lucky, and ended up in a match with an actual Co-op team, lol.   People were capping!  and defending those caps!    And the bots were capping, too- instead of yolo charging to their deaths.   Which meant the match actually lasted long enough to play!!

Of course, I also took my Mass into a pve game- waited for someone to try and steal a cap from us,  then pushed up and let my secondaries reset it again and again.

(DD players HATE that!)

Yeah, the dispersion is fiendishly bad on that ship- but it's so fun when you can USE those secondaries!

I have to say,  a fully upgraded tier 6 CV was worth a BIG chunk of credits, lol.    I'm now ahead of where I was before the new ship spree kicked off.   (Ok, FINE- all those earn a gazillion credits missions in the directive MAY have had something to do with it, if you want to get technical...)   The next step will earn me another KA-CHING!!, and one of the tier 8 perma-camos.

[PVE]
Members
12,172 posts
25,028 battles

Not a big fan of it to be honest. It's a worse Zara and Zara sucks IMO. For Co-op the long reload and no torps is a huge issue. I got it for 2 reasons only...

1. to help ease the PR grind to a point I can pay my way out of the whole mess at a lower cost. I foolishly did all 3 doubloon boosters for PR (got 25K dubs with a -30% coupon for just $70) BEFORE checking the asinine requirements so unfortunately I have to finish it or lose all that $$$ invested. 
  2. if I finish stage 3 I get the ship for free and the compensation is like 8500 doubloons which will go towards the buy out for PR. I can use some of the dubs I got from Santa crates to make up the rest.

The only good about Gorizia is it will help me finish off PR.

GKJY0z6.jpg

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,206 posts
9,533 battles

Without torps, I wouldn't be able to sneak torp the bots at 2.5km away without being spotted at all, Gorizia would have to solely rely on RNG to have all the broadside shells land in the right places to delete the bots within 3km.

[WOOK1]
Members
427 posts
14,557 battles
On 12/14/2019 at 4:53 PM, Vader_Sama said:

Without torps, I wouldn't be able to sneak torp the bots at 2.5km away without being spotted at all, Gorizia would have to solely rely on RNG to have all the broadside shells land in the right places to delete the bots within 3km.

Well, maybe it's RNG being good to me, but I continue to have some pretty good battles in Gorizia - as good as Trento.  I think I've managed to sink maybe 2 ships with Trento's torpedoes... soooo slowwww.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,606 posts
24,078 battles

Gorizia's use is in PVP with Division play.  You push up aggressively, pop the long duration smoke and use the long range hydro to spot things for your division buddies to kill.  That ability has zero value in PVE, especially since you have to hold your gunfire or be spotted.

Gorizia is worse than Zara for PVE.

A major, major flaw with the new ITA Cruisers is the lack of Hydro, which would be useful for them even in PVE, especially in Operations.  I've commented elsewhere how the lack of Hydro on Zara is a problem in Narai and I still stand by that.  But I would not do the Gorizia route where you get slower firing guns AND lose torpedoes for getting Hydro.

WG has really been screwing Italian ships in this game.  The problematic Roma.  The problematic Italian Cruiser Line.  The track record isn't good.  The only reason the Italians have relevance in this game is for one OP ship, Caesar, and she's not available by normal means anymore.

Members
7 posts
3,112 battles

I don't know if it's me... I'm used to the higher arcs of British and US  guns... I can't get the Gorizia to work for me... It's been a dumpster fire... Maybe I just need more practice on it...oh well..:cap_fainting:

[WOLF3]
Members
27,606 posts
24,078 battles
31 minutes ago, USSMckee_AS41 said:

I don't know if it's me... I'm used to the higher arcs of British and US  guns... I can't get the Gorizia to work for me... It's been a dumpster fire... Maybe I just need more practice on it...oh well..:cap_fainting:

Cut the lead of your aiming.  Starting Tier VII ITA CA shells are quick. There, ITA CA shells have high velocity and low shell arcs.  Tier VIII Amalfi has the peak performance of ITA Cruiser shells.  They fly quicker than even Zara / Gorizia's shells.  Brindisi and Venezia have the same shells as VIII Amalfi, just more guns and slower reload.

The change in shell flight behavior is like going from something like IJN BBs, Iowa / Montana, to the very floaty shells of Tier VIII USN BBs that require a lot more lead.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Members
7 posts
3,112 battles
17 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Cut the lead of your aiming.  Starting Tier VII ITA CA shells are quick. There, ITA CA shells have high velocity and low shell arcs.  Tier VIII Amalfi has the peak performance of ITA Cruiser shells.  They fly quicker than even Zara / Gorizia's shells.  Brindisi and Venezia have the same shells as VIII Amalfi, just more guns and slower reload.

The change in shell flight behavior is like going from something like IJN BBs, Iowa / Montana, to the very floaty shells of Tier VIII USN BBs that require a lot more lead.

Thank you sir... I'll try that today in my daily grind.

[USCC]
Members
3,024 posts
13,776 battles
On 12/12/2019 at 11:38 AM, pikohan said:

^^^ struth..
I have it, played it a few times, I feel stronger and safer in my DD's than this thing, it's slooooooowwwwww turret rotation, the one trick pony SAP,  no alpha strike  capability for such a fragile boat, it's just to weak.
And before people start posting great games shots, yes, anyone can have a great game or two in ANY ship,  this one just feels lacking in everything.

[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,116 posts
15,447 battles

My issue with her is that I'll happily citadel things until pointblank, then it's overpen planet.  All in all, she's meh.  She'll have some use in Narai with the smoke, since with that you can rush the transports without worry from MO deleting you from across the map, unless you are too close to the Nic.  But by that point you shouldn't have to worry about MO.

In the hands of an average player, she's the Emerald of T7.  Won't accomplish much, get's deleted easily.

Sign in to follow this