Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
PyRo_MaNiaC

Tier 9 Game play - Help Needed

4 comments in this topic

Members
120 posts
2,499 battles

All,

I need some guidance from the community before I go insane.

I'm having major issues in Tier 9 game play. I've been a pretty good player up until this point, but I am not adjusting at all for Tier 9. I didn't have any issues in Tier 8 with the Benson, but my Fletcher play is abysmal and I am not contributing to my team (the Fletcher is the better ship too!). I just returned from a year and a half hiatus, so I am not caught up on everything, but this is part of the reason I lost interest in the game and left the last time. I have no desire at this point to continue to Tier 10 because I cannot do well (even average) in Tier 9.

• I attempt to capture a point at the beginning of the game, get radar'd and die (or lose almost all health if I don't die). Then I decide I am not going to do that anymore and the enemy team has a free capture point to take, takes it, and then somehow I still get radar'd and die. 
  • Attempt to screen for my team, get radar'd and die

Things I think I'm doing wrong:

• Lack of map awareness as battle progresses (if I am even alive that long)
  • Relying on smoke to conceal me
  • Not memorizing which ships have radar
  • Not fully grasping the slower game play at this level, it's much slower and deadly

Questions for you:

• What is my role playing the Fletcher in a Tier 10 game?
  • What is each ship class role? Battleship, Cruiser, Destroy, Carrier. (I think I know, but sometimes question in this tier)
  • Are there any helpful videos or guides you've used? I watch many games on YouTube, but clearly it isn't helping me...

Any help is appreciated, thanks for letting me rant.

Statistics below:

image.thumb.png.b26bb45b392a2928364747b349c86d3f.png

• Cool 2

[-K-]
Members
8,395 posts
14,443 battles

@PyRo_MaNiaC, I highly recommend chatting with and checking out some of @Destroyer_KuroshioKai's guide on YouTube for high tier DD play.  He's one of the best in the business in the, um, business of destroyers.  It's a good starting point, at least.

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,430 posts
13,508 battles
5 hours ago, PyRo_MaNiaC said:

All,

I need some guidance from the community before I go insane.

I'm having major issues in Tier 9 game play. I've been a pretty good player up until this point, but I am not adjusting at all for Tier 9. I didn't have any issues in Tier 8 with the Benson, but my Fletcher play is abysmal and I am not contributing to my team (the Fletcher is the better ship too!). I just returned from a year and a half hiatus, so I am not caught up on everything, but this is part of the reason I lost interest in the game and left the last time. I have no desire at this point to continue to Tier 10 because I cannot do well (even average) in Tier 9.

• I attempt to capture a point at the beginning of the game, get radar'd and die (or lose almost all health if I don't die). Then I decide I am not going to do that anymore and the enemy team has a free capture point to take, takes it, and then somehow I still get radar'd and die. 

• Not fully grasping the slower game play at this level, it's much slower and deadly

Questions for you:

• What is my role playing the Fletcher in a Tier 10 game?
  • What is each ship class role? Battleship, Cruiser, Destroy, Carrier. (I think I know, but sometimes question in this tier)
  • Are there any helpful videos or guides you've used? I watch many games on YouTube, but clearly it isn't helping me...

Any help is appreciated, thanks for letting me rant.

Statistics below:

image.thumb.png.b26bb45b392a2928364747b349c86d3f.png

If you would like I can do a private replay analysis for you.  Send me a replay from a current game in a PM and I will make a commentary for the replay going over the stuff going good, the bad, and what could be better.  Once done I will upload it privately to YouTube and send you a link.

Thank you for the ping @Ace_04

[FML]
Members
4,045 posts
15,650 battles
On 12/13/2019 at 12:58 AM, PyRo_MaNiaC said:

So you should definitely take @Destroyer_Kuroshiokai’s offer to help with you specifically. If he says anything to contradict the below, believe him not me. 

As a general principle, your role is to spot the enemy team, contest and capture control points, destroy enemy DDs and fling torps at enemy capital ships of opportunity. 

As a T9, though, you will almost always be facing radar ships, enemy DDs that are either stealthier, faster or better armed than you, and much more experienced players. 

Some immediate suggestions: 

1) Don’t camp in a cap. Instead, approach the edge of a cap to start the cap point process, but expect to get radared so  get ready to boost away immediately - think of it as a tripwire. After 30 seconds or so, circle back and try to cap it again when their radars are on cooldown.

2) Don’t smoke up on a cap if you can avoid it - if you sit in your smoke, you can’t spot the enemy ships moving towards that side of the map, and more importantly the ships coming right at you. The Fletcher is fairly stealthy, and will outspot Z-52, French DDs, Russian DDs and a few others. But you have to learn the strengths of those ships in order to defeat them - smoking up against a German DD is going to get you killed, because they can hydro you through your smoke and see you, but you can’t see them or their team shooting at you. French DDs have extreme speed and very high burst gun damage - smoking up might keep you alive long enough for his burst damage to go down, but if he is unspotted your team won’t be able to kill him for you - ideally you want to start running from him early, to keep him passively spotted for your team to shoot as long as possible. But IJN DDs will see you first, so you’ll have to charge them (and dodge all their torps) and try to gun them - or run fast early to break contact if the enemy team has too much support nearby; don’t just sit there. 

3) Smoke is a torpedo magnet - sitting broadside in smoke particularly in reverse or at low speed will just get you killed. Turn stern in if you can, so you can make a quick getaway. 

4) DDs get way more powerful as the maps develop. Stay alive until the halfway point, keep an eye out for lonely ships (particularly those advancing towards you) and fling torps at them. 

5) Look for opportunities to spot for your team - be out ahead of your team’s ships, moving in the direction that they are moving, but not too far or too fast. You will run into enemy DDs that are trying to line up torp attacks, you’ll spot enemy torpedos with way more warning for your teams capital ships to dodge, frustrating enemy DDs, and if you do get spotted then potentially some of your team can help you. 

6) You have great smoke - mid battle, tell a friendly battleship under heavy HE spam with nowhere to hide that you will smoke him if he stops firing, and you might just keep him alive until the end of the battle. 

7) When in smoke, turn your AA on - your AA is surprisingly good at decent range, and will contribute to knocking out an extra plane or three from every strike, degrading enemy carriers. Just remember to turn it off again when you leave smoke so you don’t get awkwardly spotted. 

8) Use smoke to save yourself from being dropped on by carriers - it’s usually worth it, given Fletcher has low HP. 

Destroyers are the ultimate team ship - you need good strategic awareness of where your team is going, where the enemy team is going and moving yourself between the two. You need to make snap judgements about risk and reward from engaging - but usually early in a match staying alive is vastly more important than taking a cap. Preserving HP whilst still being useful for your team (eg spotting) is generally strong DD play. 

I hope some of that helps. 

Sign in to follow this