Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mothermoy

thunderer or Salem

5 comments in this topic

[SHAFT]
Members
800 posts
17,353 battles

Seems you haven't started the USN CA grind as yet. If that's the line you plan on doing in the near future the Salem.

If you plan on doing the UK BB line then get the Thunderer.

As you already own premiums in both USN and UK, if it was me I would hold off and try to get a premium from another nation.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,619 posts
14,702 battles

The question for me, if I did not already have Salem, would be which one to get first. 

Basically - do you want a Des Moines-class cruiser (with certain specific differences, of which you should be aware) or do you want a premium version of the 18 inch gunned Conqueror, with slick rudder shift but poorer heal?

How does it fit into the rest of your fleet? What captain(s) would you put in her? 

What is your current experience at Tier 10, either IN T10 ships or fighting against them?

Do you need to spend a coupon before Christmas, or are you waiting for the Christmas coupon to arrive? If you are waiting for it to arrive, then you have time. In that situation, I would suggest waiting until the next Public Test cycle and using the Public Test Server to play the Des Moines. In that way you can get a rough idea of what the Salem is like, at least in terms of ship handling and gunnery. 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
131 posts
9,763 battles

I have both. They are good ships but I’d go with the Thunderer if you like BBs. The 18 inch guns are LOL accurate, it’s the only BB that I’ve ever had 3 dev strikes in a single game. You play it a bit like a super cruiser as the armour is weak and the heal isn’t as good as the Conqueror. I’ve stopped playing the Conqueror since getting Thunderer.

I like the Salem as well, but it’s really a damage over time type game. The heal is better than they the DM and that gives you better staying power. As far as T10 cruisers go, I like the Henri better and don’t really play the Salem that much.

Banned
259 posts
4,775 battles

Ask yourself what you want to do with it, and take a hard look at your playing skills.

Thunderer is great if your positioning and angling is good, and most of all your aim needs to be really really really good. Then it is very rewarding.

If your aim is average or not so good, then Thunderer's high main gun accuracy will be detrimental because the dispersion is less shotgunny. There are fewer of those sketchy outlier shells that save a poorly aimed volley.

Meanwhile, Salem is a DM which is better against cruisers and BBs and more comfortable to play because of the monster heal, even though it has no legendary module, while threatening DDs slightly less. Which is especially great, for example, in clan battles. Even in the current meta.

Edited by FixCVs
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this