You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
henrychenhenry

PSA: The only thing you need to know about the Puerto Rico grind: How long do I have to grind each directive?

70 comments in this topic

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts

For those that criticize my post, I did NOT get into whether the grind is feasible or not because that's more subjective than objective. I only cover the number of hours you have to grind each directive. These numbers are objective, and 100% correct.

Most math in this long post. But, I'd rather things be simple. So here are the simple results of the math:

I will not buy ANY doubloon boosters. I want to grind Puerto Rico 100% free.

I will grind most (almost all) of the first 10 days of daily missions: You have 90 hours to grind every single directive from the time they are released.

I will miss out on 3 days of the first 13 days of daily missions: You have 80 hours to grind each directive.

I will buy the first doubloon booster.

I will grind most (almost all) of the first 10 days of daily missions: You will only need to grind Directives 1-5. Grind each Directive within 24 hours of release.

I will buy the first two doubloon boosters.

I will grind most (almost all) of the first 10 days of daily missions: You will need to grind (at a minimum) Directives 1-3 within 60 hours.

I will miss out on 2 days of the first 12 days of daily missions: You have 40 hours to grind Directive 1-3.

I will buy the first three doubloon boosters.

Unfortunately, you will still need to grind the first 3 Directives. (Assuming you can finish directives instantly, you will be short by 1,240 points if you grind just Directives 1 and 2.)

However, you will have 16 days to grind each of the first 3 Directives.

Edited by henrychenhenry
  • Cool 13

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,552 posts
16,311 battles

So take a breath.

Calm GIF

Make a plan and get on it.

LeVar Burton GIF

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SOUTH]
Members
3 posts
7,089 battles

we are actually getting clowned

remember when wargaming said you can''t buy tier 10's

Edited by Jimmy_Russel
  • Cool 4

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,266 battles

Honestly I think the main problem with this event so far is that people have had to spend more time on doing the math for what they need to grind than actually grinding up until now, all because WG was so scarce with the details. It's both sad and hilarious at the same time. I just paid up front for two boosters (tier 10 premium for tier 8 price sounds okay to me), started blowing off snowflakes, and hope for the best.

• Cool 5

[-N-]
Beta Testers
152 posts
3,686 battles

ya, i think i'm gonna buy 2 boosts with doubloons as well.

Directive 5 is INSANE...

• Earn 350k XP on aircraft carrier...
  • Cause 4.5 mill dmg to ships....

All that in 4 days lol

• Confused 1

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts
9 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

Honestly I think the main problem with this event so far is that people have had to spend more time on doing the math for what they need to grind than actually grinding up until now, all because WG was so scarce with the details. It's both sad and hilarious at the same time. I just paid up front for two boosters (tier 10 premium for tier 8 price sounds okay to me), started blowing off snowflakes, and hope for the best.

The sad thing is, the math here will reach maybe 1% of the playerbase? 0.1%?

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
538 posts
2,806 battles
14 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

Even if you start doing it day0, it's physically impossible to get 950k FXP on 5 days. Even at your best match you get what, 15k?  assuming 3 matches per hour, you need 21 hours just to complete 3 missions
and you still need to get 2 more lol

• Cool 1

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts
14 minutes ago, Apokita said:

Even if you start doing it day0, it's physically impossible to get 950k FXP on 5 days. Even at your best match you get what, 15k?  assuming 3 matches per hour, you need 21 hours just to complete 3 missions
and you still need to get 2 more lol

Yeah, the directives aren't easy.

Beta Testers
906 posts
3,533 battles
2 hours ago, henrychenhenry said:

Most math in this long post. But, I'd rather things be simple. So here are the simple results of the math:

I will not buy ANY doubloon boosters. I want to grind Puerto Rico 100% free.

I will grind most (almost all) of the first 10 days of daily missions: You have 90 hours to grind every single directive from the time they are released.

I will miss out on 3 days of the first 13 days of daily missions: You have 80 hours to grind each directive.

I will buy the first doubloon booster.

I will grind most (almost all) of the first 10 days of daily missions: You will only need to grind Directives 1-5. Grind each Directive within 24 hours of release.

I will buy the first two doubloon boosters.

I will grind most (almost all) of the first 10 days of daily missions: You will need to grind (at a minimum) Directives 1-3 within 60 hours.

I will miss out on 2 days of the first 12 days of daily missions: You have 40 hours to grind Directive 1-3.

I will buy the first three doubloon boosters.

Unfortunately, you will still need to grind the first 3 Directives. (Assuming you can finish directives instantly, you will be short by 1,240 points if you grind just Directives 1 and 2.)

However, you will have 16 days to grind each of the first 3 Directives.

How nice that one can spend money for one doubloon booster and be stuck with a physically impossible task. Even with unrealistic assumtions and REALLY unhealthy behavior Directive 4 and 5 cannot be completed in 24 calendar hours. 

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,521 battles
2 hours ago, reza577 said:

ya, i think i'm gonna buy 2 boosts with doubloons as well.

Directive 5 is INSANE...

• Earn 350k XP on aircraft carrier...
  • Cause 4.5 mill dmg to ships....

All that in 4 days lol

In 4 days NO! You have until the next update to finish every mission. You do not have to complete every directive mission to unlock the next directive and once that next directive starts the unfinished missions from the previous directive will still progress. 350k XP and 4.5 million damage is not that hard to get in a month of play. To do that for each ship type though would be to much. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,025 posts
22,723 battles

I think iChase has done a good job explaining the Directives and what is required. Here is a link: 

• Cool 7

[ANKER]
Members
288 posts
5,534 battles
4 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

I think iChase has done a good job explaining the Directives and what is required. Here is a link: 

Yes he did...

But still i'm just a casual player who have a Family and a Job so.......i just gonna wait till they put puerto rico to the premium shop..

I don't have time to grind and i don't feel like stressing myself.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,025 posts
22,723 battles
5 minutes ago, 9TenSix2Eight said:

Yes he did...

But still i'm just a casual player who have a Family and a Job so.......i just gonna wait till they put puerto rico to the premium shop..

I don't have time to grind and i don't feel like stressing myself.

It is a brutal grind, one of the worst put into the game regardless of what SubOctavian has said. I can not say I blame you one bit for waiting. 

[ARGSY]
Members
20,624 posts
14,706 battles
32 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

I think iChase has done a good job explaining the Directives and what is required.

I think the thumbnail on that YouTube vid says all that needs to be said.

I told my wife I wasn't touching this with a barge pole, and she was very blunt: "Leave this one to the permavirgins." Perhaps a bit harsh, but the wives, girlfriends, and in some cases husbands and boyfriends of anyone who grinds this out for free are going to be gaming widows and widowers right to the middle of January.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Funny 4

Members
2,439 posts
5,397 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I told my wife I wasn't touching this with a barge pole, and she was very blunt: "Leave this one to the permavirgins." Perhaps a bit harsh, but the wives, girlfriends, and in some cases husbands and boyfriends of anyone who grinds this out for free are going to be gaming widows and widowers right to the middle of January.

You left out fathers and mothers.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,786 posts
3 hours ago, henrychenhenry said:

The sad thing is, the math here will reach maybe 1% of the playerbase? 0.1%?

And because the subreddit is run by people who are eager to call any criticism of Wargaming "trolling", good luck getting it out to that audience.

22 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

It is a brutal grind, one of the worst put into the game regardless of what SubOctavian has said. I can not say I blame you one bit for waiting. 

Sub is a total mouthpiece, nothing more.  Count on him for nothing but the company talking points, and expect him to get huffy and offended when called out on how ridiculous those talking points are.

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,624 posts
14,706 battles
Just now, Legio_X_ said:

You left out fathers and mothers.

The fathers and mothers will be glad their sons and daughters are blowing the hell out of pixel ships rather than doing unsafe things that could get them killed.

Members
2,439 posts
5,397 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The fathers and mothers will be glad their sons and daughters are blowing the hell out of pixel ships rather than doing unsafe things that could get them killed.

I’m taking about fathers or mothers who grind this crap and become a dead beat parent in the process.

like how you were saying girlfriends, boyfriends etc gonna be widows.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,624 posts
14,706 battles
2 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

I’m taking about fathers or mothers who grind this crap and become a dead beat parent in the process.

like how you were saying girlfriends, boyfriends etc gonna be widows.

Oh, them. Yeah, well, being a father and a husband (and having a full time job) is the reason I'm not even trying for this. Otherwise a lot of coffee and snacks would be consumed over the next 30 days, and not much sleep would be had.

I hope sanity prevails, and the only people who give completing everything a shot are the ones who have no vulnerable dependents.

Members
864 posts
6 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

Dead on the money I'd say . Not gonna bother with this crap . I'll play same as always and stick to my original goals .

• Cool 1

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,865 posts
21,799 battles

Sure am glad I don't give a crap about Puerto Rico. I shall keep both my sanity and my marriage...

• Cool 4

Beta Testers
906 posts
3,533 battles
32 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The permavirgins will fail anyway is the thing. Committing to this stupidity doesn't make it doable in the time required. 

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
690 posts
25,828 battles
12 minutes ago, Khafni said:

Sure am glad I don't give a crap about Puerto Rico. I shall keep both my sanity and my marriage...

I am totally on board with this sentiment.

• Cool 1

[KREW]
Members
590 posts
13,599 battles

well folks,

I have plopped down the 6,000 doubloons for stage one, but I think I'm gonna just call it a lesson learned and not get the other two boosts. If I have to pay $96 dollars and then still grind out 3 long and difficult directives, I just don't think I have the time and energy to do it. I'll just do my snowflakes and whatever I can get incidentally from the directives at this point. I wish I had waited now, but I guess I'll know better next time.