You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
mcgibe

The ridiculous nature of the Christmas directives exposed using MATH!!!

30 comments in this topic

[KENT]
Members
258 posts
5,364 battles

So people have probably already heard of the ridiculous requirements of these christmas directives for Puerto Rico. I wanted to just do this quick little calculation on how much time you will need to spend to complete arguably the easiest mission in the directives (which is not saying much). The mission where you have to kill ships.

For this calculation, I'm going to be using stats from wows stats and numbers .com. the average length of a game is going to be 15 minutes just for the sake of the calculation.

Doing this gives us a simple formula of:

Total time average = (15 minutes X ship kills required)/ average kills per game

(This may not be right but its 1am here and my brain hurts so point out if I messed up in the comments)

Now we can plug any numbers into this formula here so let's start with mine since I'm a narcissist. My average kills per game, according to wows stats, is 1.03 kills per game. Kinda bad, but don't judge.

Plugging this into our formula give us:

(60 x 15)/ 1.03 = 874 minutes or 14.56 hours! For this one directive! 

This is obviously pretty bad, so let's check a favourite community contributor of mine, ichase, stats. He has a much better 1.4 kills per game.

Plugging this into the formula:

(15 x 60)/ 1.4 = 642 minutes or 10.7 hours! That's still an insane amount of time!

The biggest thing that irks me about this, is this is just one of the directives, and one of the easier ones at that! You can test this out with your own stats, but the result is still going to be ridiculous no matter who you are (keep in mind that this is an average. The actual amount of time needed may be lower or higher than this, but probably not far off.)

So there you have it. This ridiculous grind shown in full using math. I'm going to go to sleep now and process the absurdity of this grind. Have fun!

• Cool 4

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,552 posts
16,311 battles

You do not need to do the Kill task to complete the Directive. 

It took me 4 hours to finish Directive 1

[KENT]
Members
258 posts
5,364 battles
Just now, paradat said:

You do not need to do the Kill task to complete the Directive. 

It took me 4 hours to finish Directive 1

I'm sorry. How. 

[SQUAD]
Members
9,159 posts
11,191 battles

I played 6 hours today, 4 in co-op, I'm almost done with the ship kill mission, and I was actually just there to knock off snowflakes, I wasn't actually, you know, trying. So, yeah. I can easily knock off 4-5 ships a match in co-op, at 5 matches per hour. That's, lets go with the low side, 20 ships an hour, that's under 4 hours to knock out that mission. I really have no idea where you're getting your math from.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,552 posts
16,311 battles
13 minutes ago, mcgibe said:

I'm sorry. How. 

You only need to complete 6 out of 13 tasks to finish the Directive. Pick the 6 least painful based on your fleet and go for it.

The fastest way in my opinion is buy Gorizia (32 bucks, just the ship avoid the bundles)and use her to help you blast thru the first 3 directives. When you finish directive 3 (you earn the ship) you will basically get your money back in dubs.

My recommendation for most active players for this event is buy Gorizia and buy the 6k dubs booster. You should only need to complete Directives 1 thru 5 to finish the Puerto Rico before the time runs out. If you fall just short and your heart is set on the PR you can pay to finish.

You can also just do your best for free go as far as you can then at the end pay to finish.

If you do not have a lot of time but you say have good weekend sessions then buy the Gorizia and two boosts

If you have little time and get to play now and then buy 3 boosts and grind just a little to finish.

If you are a must have it now kind of guy you can buy 3 boosts 24k dubs and then pay to finish now 35k dubs. Boom you have it now.

If you have a ton of time and want it for free. You can do it but it is a serious grind. Like the most grindy thing WG has ever done.

If you are a free to play player and do not have a lot of time. Just go for completing the first 3 directives and earn the Gorizia and call it good.

So whatever works for you do it. The key is to get started now regardless of what plan you use.

• Cool 3

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,025 posts
22,721 battles
12 minutes ago, paradat said:

You only need to complete 6 out of 13 tasks to finish the Directive. Pick the 6 least painful based on your fleet and go for it.

The fastest way in my opinion is buy Gorizia (32 bucks, just the ship avoid the bundles)and use her to help you blast thru the first 3 directives. When you finish directive 3 (you earn the ship) you will basically get your money back in dubs.

My recommendation for most active players for this event is buy Gorizia and buy the 6k dubs booster. You should only need to complete Directives 1 thru 5 to finish the Puerto Rico before the time runs out. If you fall just short and your heart is set on the PR you can pay to finish.

You can also just do your best for free go as far as you can then at the end pay to finish.

If you do not have a lot of time but you say have good weekend sessions then buy the Gorizia and two boosts

If you have little time and get to play now and then buy 3 boosts and grind just a little to finish.

If you are a must have it now kind of guy you can buy 3 boosts 24k dubs and then pay to finish now 35k dubs. Boom you have it now.

If you have a ton of time and want it for free. You can do it but it is a serious grind. Like the most grindy thing WG has ever done.

If you are a free to play player and do not have a lot of time. Just go for completing the first 3 directives and earn the Gorizia and call it good.

So whatever works for you do it. The key is to get started now regardless of what plan you use.

Para are you sure on your calculations? Seems way too easy and if it is correct, you essentially only need the Gordzilla (whatever it is called) to get it done. Since you get doubloon compensation for that ship, it works out to be essentially free. This seems way too easy for me to get my brain around. Given the other rewards you get along the way, this may be the best $35 you can spend on the game. 

Edited by Taylor3006

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,552 posts
16,311 battles
4 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Para are you sure on your calculations? Seems way too easy and if it is correct, you essentially only need the Gordzilla (whatever it is called) to get it done. Since you get doubloon compensation for that ship, it works out to be essentially free. This seems way too easy for me to get my brain around. 

LOL yeah don't get too comfortable directives 4 and 5 are still no joke, Gorizia not going to help on those. Still a grind but not nearly as insane as trying to do directive 7.

Also don't forget I am recommending also buying the first dubs boost (6k). That has a big impact since you get the jump early and it runs the entire event.

These directives are tough but they are also very flexible. Complete 6 out of 13 is pretty nice.

• Cool 3

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,025 posts
22,721 battles
1 minute ago, paradat said:

LOL yeah don't get too comfortable directives 4 and 5 are still no joke, Gorizia not going to help on those. Still a grind but not nearly as insane as trying to do directive 7.

Also don't forget I am recommending also buying the first dubs boost (6k). That has a big impact since you get the jump early and it runs the entire event.

These directives are tough but they are also very flexible. Complete 6 out of 13 is pretty nice.

Seriously, thanks Para. You have made it super easy for me to understand what is going on and I truly appreciate it. Going to have to owe you a upvote, been a busy day. 

Not a big fan of the PR but the stuff you get along the way seems almost too good to pass up. 

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,552 posts
16,311 battles
Just now, Taylor3006 said:

Seriously, thanks Para. You have made it super easy for me to understand what is going on and I truly appreciate it. Going to have to owe you a upvote, been a busy day. 

Not a big fan of the PR but the stuff you get along the way seems almost too good to pass up. 

Yeah the perma camo and 2000 Steel are very nice. 

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,552 posts
16,311 battles

Remember when the 750k Free xp Missouri grind seemed impossible to some people? Took me just under a couple of months back then lol.

Now look at Directive 7. 

criss angel dreadlocks GIF

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,025 posts
22,721 battles
10 minutes ago, paradat said:

Remember when the 750k Free xp Missouri grind seemed impossible to some people? Took me just under a couple of months back then lol.

Now look at Directive 7. 

LOL I was still pretty new at the time and freaked out about the MO. I just had to have it (freaking noob) so was playing like crazy... I got to within 125k free xp and beat up, worn out, and lazy, spent some doubloons and converted that last bit... The good thing is it taught me a valuable lesson but at the time, was in a panic and bailed off into my bank account. The worst thing about that experience is I still had plenty of time left to grind it out... God I was so green. 

BTW one reason I had to have the ship, is during Desert Storm, my ship (USNS Mercy) was sailing along with the MO and the NJ. In Bahrain or Dubai (I forget) all three of the ships were in port. I was drinking with some MO sailors and they brought me aboard it for a great tour. Seeing it as a living, breathing ship at war was just the best experience of my time in the Navy. Good times, good people, great ship. 

When the shooting started, our ship went off on its own per the Geneva Conventions and they went off to do battle. One day while laying on the Steel Beach sunning ourselves (It was a slow war for a hospital ship), we saw cruise missiles flying overhead towards the bad guys. We found out later that they were from the battleships and it made me proud to know I bought beer for some of those sailors. 

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Cool 4

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts
15 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Para are you sure on your calculations? Seems way too easy and if it is correct, you essentially only need the Gordzilla (whatever it is called) to get it done. Since you get doubloon compensation for that ship, it works out to be essentially free. This seems way too easy for me to get my brain around. Given the other rewards you get along the way, this may be the best $35 you can spend on the game. 

Which parts are you unsure about?

If you get 1 Doubloon booster, you need to grind Directives 1-5 within slightly under 24 hrs of directive release.

If you get 2 Doubloon boosters, you need to grind Directives 1-3 within 60 hrs of directive release.

If you get 3 Doubloon boosters, you unfortunately still need to grind Directives 1-3 (assuming no time to finish directives, you will be short by just 1,240 points!). However, you will have a gigantic cushion of 16 days to grind each directive.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,025 posts
22,721 battles
2 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

Which parts are you unsure about?

If you get 1 Doubloon booster, you need to grind Directives 1-5 within slightly under 24 hrs of directive release.

If you get 2 Doubloon boosters, you need to grind Directives 1-3 within 60 hrs of directive release.

If you get 3 Doubloon boosters, you unfortunately still need to grind Directives 1-3 (assuming no time to finish directives, you will be short by just 1,240 points!). However, you will have a gigantic cushion of 16 days to grind each directive.

I think I got it now Henry, thanks. Just searching for the Directive requirements now but the forum is a mess with posts. Para just did what others have been unable to do, put it in terms that even a stupid shellback can understand. I do appreciate your information too, it is most reassuring. 

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts
8 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

I think I got it now Henry, thanks. Just searching for the Directive requirements now but the forum is a mess with posts. Para just did what others have been unable to do, put it in terms that even a stupid shellback can understand. I do appreciate your information too, it is most reassuring. 

The thing is, there is a post called "Free Puerto Rico is mathematically impossible?" that has 4,000 views, and 100+ replies while a free Puerto Rico is mathematically possible (not easy though). This creates a misconception. Look at how many posts that say Puerto Rico is mathematically impossible. (Again possible does NOT equal probable.)

I created a post that shows ALL of the math, when you need to finish directives and daily missions, the day, how many points you have after every day, etc. that has 1,000 views and 40+ replies. Maybe I am responsible for 10 of the 40? I try to not excessively post in threads I create. People are not looking at the real, clear math.

And then there are the other posts (<10) with spreadsheets showing the math. Some are right, others are wrong, but the thing is: Spreadsheets are NOT easy to understand for the average player. If I look at a random spreadsheet, I can't easily find your mistakes. How do I know what your assumptions are? How many days do I have to finish each directive? What if I spend some doubloons? I want useful info, not just info.

I am extremely frustrated with creating my PR math post. I don't need to type it to understand it, yet I spent an hour typing it, several more editing and checking it, and then some more time correcting incorrect info/adding info elsewhere in the forums.

Edited by henrychenhenry
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,025 posts
22,721 battles
55 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

*Snipped only for brevity*

I have said "nearly impossible" for the PR, especially for co-op players like myself. The issue with this event if just how convoluted the building process is and then you toss on to that, the Directive requirements and people are going to be disheartened/angry. I am trying to recall a subject that has generated so much discussion and the only things that come to mind are AlabamaGate and the carrier rework. I am sure there are others but those I can remember quite vividly.  Things on Reddit are worse. I think that one of the WeeGees is getting downvoted into a lower layer of Reddit hell...  

The feeling seems to be that it is practically impossible for the "normal" player and this has been asserted by that same WeeGee. The event requires tons of information to understand and that is IMHO, poor design. This is a game, it shouldn't require pages of math or spreadsheets for the average player to understand what is going on. 

Even with your explanation and Para's, I think I am going to ignore this event. The whole experience hasn't been any fun and I see little point in rewarding Wargaming for coming up with this mess. For me, it is all about the snowflakes and crates. Will stick with what I can get for free and just pretend that next year will be better. 

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
9,928 posts
8,984 battles
5 hours ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

I played 6 hours today, 4 in co-op, I'm almost done with the ship kill mission, and I was actually just there to knock off snowflakes, I wasn't actually, you know, trying. So, yeah. I can easily knock off 4-5 ships a match in co-op, at 5 matches per hour. That's, lets go with the low side, 20 ships an hour, that's under 4 hours to knock out that mission. I really have no idea where you're getting your math from.

If you're killing that many, there aren't enough left for the other 8 players :Smile_hiding:

[PVE]
Members
19,850 posts
12,029 battles

3 day per Directive calculation

Ok, this is calculated with you getting ALL the Daily Chains, Daily Shipments and grinding the Directives in 3 days each. For ease of math, all boosts are bought at 5am. You MUST start getting Daily Chains TODAY, Thu Dec 12th!

Grind Dir I before Monday and have the 1st Token boost already purchased before 5am EST, Mon Dec 16th.

12/16-12/19 you have 235 CP/min & 1.25M Instant CP for 2.2M CP. You finish Dir II & buy 2nd Token boost at 5am Dec 19th.

12/19-12/23 you have 339 CP/min & 1.2M Instant CP for 5.4M CP total. You finish Dir III and buy the 3rd & 4th Token boosts at 5am Dec 23rd.

12/23-12/27 you have 685 CP/min & 3.2M Instant CP for 12.5M CP total. You finish Dir IV and buy the 5th Token boost at 5am Dec 27th.

12/27-12/31 you have 893 CP/min & 2.5M Instant CP for 20.2M CP total. You finish Dir V and buy the 6th Token boost at 5am Dec 31st.

12/31-1/4 you have 1,101 CP/min & 2.5M Instant CP for 29M CP total. You finish Dir VI and buy the 7th Token boost at 5am Jan 4th.

1/4-1/9 you have 1,309 CP/min & 2.5M Instant CP for 40.9M CP total. You finish Dir VII and buy the 8th Token bosst at 5am Jan 9th.

1/9-1/13 you have 1,517 CP/min & 2.5M Instant CP for 52.2M CP total. You finish Puerto Rico 2pm-ish Sun, Jan 12th, so there is a tiny bit of slack.

More to come

Edit: Dir VI is 3 days too.

Edited by Kizarvexis

[KENT]
Members
258 posts
5,364 battles
Just now, Kizarvexis said:

3 day per Directive calculation

Ok, this is calculated with you getting ALL the Daily Chains, Daily Shipments and grinding the Directives in 3 days each, except Dir VI is 5 days. For ease of math, all boosts are bought at 5am. You MUST start getting Daily Chains TODAY, Thu Dec 12th!

Grind Dir I before Monday and have the 1st Token boost already purchased before 5am EST, Mon Dec 16th.

12/16-12/19 you have 235 CP/min & 1.25M Instant CP for 2.2M CP. You finish Dir II & buy 2nd Token boost at 5am Dec 19th.

12/19-12/23 you have 339 CP/min & 1.2M Instant CP for 5.4M CP total. You finish Dir III and buy the 3rd & 4th Token boosts at 5am Dec 23rd.

12/23-12/27 you have 685 CP/min & 3.2M Instant CP for 12.5M CP total. You finish Dir IV and buy the 5th Token boost at 5am Dec 27th.

12/27-12/31 you have 893 CP/min & 2.5M Instant CP for 20.2M CP total. You finish Dir V and buy the 6th Token boost at 5am Dec 31st.

12/31-1/4 you have 1,101 CP/min & 2.5M Instant CP for 29M CP total. You finish Dir VI and buy the 7th Token boost at 5am Jan 4th.

1/4-1/9 you have 1,309 CP/min & 2.5M Instant CP for 40.9M CP total. You finish Dir VII and buy the 8th Token bosst at 5am Jan 9th.

1/9-1/13 you have 1,517 CP/min & 2.5M Instant CP for 52.2M CP total. You finish Puerto Rico 2pm-ish Sun, Jan 12th, so there is a tiny bit of slack.

Thanks for the calculations. You did a much better job than I did making this post at 1 in the morning

• Cool 1

[KENT]
Members
258 posts
5,364 battles
6 hours ago, paradat said:

Now look at Directive 7. 

This was the point I was trying to get at in my original post. I probably should have chosen one of the later missions in the directive, but it was 1am and I wanted to hammer off my frustration in a logical way

The whole grind is completely off the charts. I wasn't expecting this to be a free tier 10 cruiser for everyone and I was expecting some sort of grind. But the amount of time you will need to spend grinding this is going to be unbearable. I would rather spend time on more important things, such as my family, than grind a bunch of new pixels for 100+ hours.

And one more thing to mention. Gorizia only affects the first 3 directives. From directive 4 onward, you're on your own against one that was like a 1,100,000 experience grind for just one objective.

[CSWLN]
[CSWLN]
Members
21 posts
11,575 battles

Hum $240 for a free T10 ship. Yup that makes sense.  I'll just drop a $100 on Big Santa Crates and pick up 2-5 premium ships and be happy I don't have to live on WG for the next month and fall way short of the PR. That PR must be really special and better than the RU bias ships. 

• Cool 2

[WOLFG]
Members
897 posts
8 hours ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

So while you are knocking off 4-5 ships in CoOP, everybody else is getting zero to one.  That makes it actually longer for everybody else.  That is assuming I believe your 4-5 ship kills.  

Edited by Captain_Rawhide

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,552 posts
16,311 battles
1 hour ago, mcgibe said:

This was the point I was trying to get at in my original post. I probably should have chosen one of the later missions in the directive, but it was 1am and I wanted to hammer off my frustration in a logical way

The whole grind is completely off the charts. I wasn't expecting this to be a free tier 10 cruiser for everyone and I was expecting some sort of grind. But the amount of time you will need to spend grinding this is going to be unbearable. I would rather spend time on more important things, such as my family, than grind a bunch of new pixels for 100+ hours.

And one more thing to mention. Gorizia only affects the first 3 directives. From directive 4 onward, you're on your own against one that was like a 1,100,000 experience grind for just one objective.

Yes doing the grind for free is a crazy hard challenge totally agree.

So yeah do not look at PR as a free tier 10 look at it as a cheap tier 10. Pay a little early and it is much more doable. 

Gorizia does only effect the first 3 directives true, but those effects a cumulative. Because you can get the boost from the directives so early they stack up. 

Also something to add the goodies along the way are very good. You do not have to finish this for it to be worth it to start.

[1984]
Members
4,186 posts
20,302 battles
1 hour ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

So while you are knocking off 4-5 ships in CoOP, everybody else is getting zero to one.  That makes it actually longer for everybody else.  That is assuming I believe your 4-5 ship kills.  

This is the essence of coop. The kill stealing is real, get on there with a team of good players and you wave to work for one kill.

as for pr its very lame they’ve chosen to make it this unattainable.

Edited by monpetitloup

[SQUAD]
Members
9,159 posts
11,191 battles
4 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

If you're killing that many, there aren't enough left for the other 8 players :Smile_hiding:

Aim better, shoot faster, and bring the right ship for the job, that's all I can say.

[SQUAD]
Members
9,159 posts
11,191 battles
1 hour ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

Please show me, if you'd be so kind, where it says that I'm supposed to hold myself back from my goals, to help you attain yours at the expense of both you and I?

To get PR as cheaply as possible means going all out. Clearly, I'm willing and able to do it. I'm not whining about how unfair the process is, either, I'm just getting the job done. Complaining, as WG has shown, isn't going to make things any easier for us all of a sudden. So, I spend my time doing what I have to. If, for some reason, this hurts your feelings, there's nothing I can do about that.