Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
yacskn

Client Size Discrepancy

7 comments in this topic

Members
768 posts
18,340 battles

Does anyone have a clue why while the NA client sits at around 50gb, the EU client is at 76gb?

I mean, what even is there to make this game that large?

I literally ran out of space on my HDD and can't even update the damn thing.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,266 battles

This probably has to do with the way that, generally speaking, Wargaming games tend to do updates. In my experience they don't bother getting rid of anything from the previous versions when something is replaced and instead just download a whole new file while leaving the old one. So the longer you have the client installed the bigger it gets.

At least that's the impression I get from the fact that World of Tanks was 13 GB to redownload but 50+ GB when I deleted it two years ago.

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts
55 minutes ago, yacskn said:

Does anyone have a clue why while the NA client sits at around 50gb, the EU client is at 76gb?

I mean, what even is there to make this game that large?

I literally ran out of space on my HDD and can't even update the damn thing.

Replays? Screenshots? Mods? Honestly, I don't think those things can add up to 26 GB.

I once created a ticket to CS about client size discrepancies. In the end, it got nowhere and I think they're pretty mad at me about that ticket.

[P-V-E]
Members
1,508 posts

my NA client is 51.1GB

my EU client is 49.8GB

my EU client has only been installed for ~6months.

my NA client was just over 75GB, but it has been installed since 2015, and with all the updates there were lots of files that were no longer used and have never been deleted via the update process, so what I did was manually delete loads of files after comparing them to the newer EU folder content, in essence there were loads of files from 2015, 2016 and 2017 that are not used, though the easer route, would be to just uninstall the NA client, then delete the install folder it was in, then redownload it again with a fresh install. 

Edited by b101uk
  • Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,266 battles
22 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

This probably has to do with the way that, generally speaking, Wargaming games tend to do updates. In my experience they don't bother getting rid of anything from the previous versions when something is replaced and instead just download a whole new file while leaving the old one. So the longer you have the client installed the bigger it gets.

At least that's the impression I get from the fact that World of Tanks was 13 GB to redownload but 50+ GB when I deleted it two years ago.

4 minutes ago, b101uk said:

my NA client was just over 75GB, but it has been installed since 2015, and with all the updates there were lots of files that were no longer used and have never been deleted via the update process, so what I did was manually delete loads of files after comparing them to the newer EU folder content, in essence there were loads of files from 2015, 2016 and 2017 that are not used, though the easer route, would be to just uninstall the NA client, then delete the install folder it was in, then redownload it again with a fresh install. 

Your Honor, I rest my case. Thanks for the confirmation.

Members
4,221 posts
3,238 battles
24 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

i noticed that too, they don't always cleanup the downloads after applying maintenance

Sign in to follow this