You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LeanOdin

When events were good

14 comments in this topic

[ISGC]
Members
7 posts
2,193 battles

Man, remember when christmas events were good? Good as in they were a treat, they were something to tell your friend's about and suggest them to join the game. Good as in the rewards were free and not free*.

Events have taken a turn for the worst, instead of being a special thing that allowed even lower skill players to get some nice freebies for the holidays they devolved into dreadfully lengthy grind for even the most experienced players. Often the grind is so bad/hard that average players (players of average skill or average available time) simply cannot get worthwhile rewards.                                                                                        For WoWS you have the directives and the Puerto Rico as the main talking point. Puerto Rico is borderline impossible to obtain for free to begin with, but to do would require you to basically live on the game for two thirds of the events duration. Even with throwing money at the game its still a lengthy grind. The directives are marginally better but still have ridiculous instances (ones requiring nearly 50k base xp per ship class, which is 20 good games won in the best circumstances and longer if you lose and/or have bad games). [edited] hasnt announced their event yet but going off past events I would guess it will either be the 2 day format or the crafting format. Both of which alot of time, and one of which is very harshly timelocked. Making it borderline impossible to earn half the rewards, let alone more. WoWS Legends is giving away gremyaschy in a two week campaign that isnt even all that hard all things considered. However the rewards are locked behind a paywall, so even if you finish all tasks you have to pay to get rewarded. Is it so much to ask for an event that average players can complete in a fair amount of time for free, instead of this garbage that takes above average players ridiculous amounts of time to complete and then requires you to spend money just to get the good stuff.

• Cool 2

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,521 battles

771 battles you have no clue what your talking about. If this event isn't fun for you then don't bother participating in the best WG has offered so far.

• Confused 2
  • Boring 2

[RLGN]
Members
14,458 posts
25,612 battles
13 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

771 battles you have no clue what your talking about. If this event isn't fun for you then don't bother participating in the best WG has offered so far.

Yeah, I’ll just keep doing what I’m doing.

The weirdo way I choose to organize my games means I’m still trying to tidy up my game totals from the camo flakes, (not get camo flakes, just me being wierd.)

The overlap means I can do both at the same time now, and not have as much leftover after snowflakes is done.

[HINON]
Members
13,391 posts

As a new player a T10 reward ship is not going to be realistic even if these directive requirements were lower. Set your sites for more attainable rewards for now until you've built up like perhaps the free T7 premium and then the mission chain it unlocks for 4 T6 tech tree ships. The other rewards flags and camos will help you build up this next year to get more rewards for future events.

0 posts

30 minutes ago, LeanOdin said:

Man, remember when christmas events were good?

Nope, sorry, I can't, not even when I try very very hard to remember an in game event that wasn't tedious, exhausting and inevitably expensive. What you are seeing now, is nothing new, it has always existed in WOWS. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,624 posts
14,218 battles
31 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

He might be a reroll.

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,521 battles
18 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

He might be a reroll.

So?

22 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

As a new player

All the more reason for not knowing what their talking about and if they are a reroll shame on them for being a jerk for the Christmas/New Years event. 

• Boring 1

[ISGC]
Members
7 posts
2,193 battles
38 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

So?

All the more reason for not knowing what their talking about and if they are a reroll shame on them for being a jerk for the Christmas/New Years event. 

So first off, thanks for following my content just so you can disagree with anything I post. Thats very mature of you.

Secondly the ridiculousness of this event has nothing to do with being a new player, just metrics and facts. The directives are pretty blatantly awful. To name a few; earn 950,000 xp, earn 350,000 free xp in carriers as well as separate ones for french and soviet battleships, cruisers, and destroyers independently.  Receive 4.7 billion potential damage in italian and japanese cruisers,  earn 150,000 base xp, and I can go on. The idea that these tasks are intended to be completed in 4 day intervals (in order to unlock the next directive) is frankly ridiculous, long time player or not.  Im curious as to how this is "the best wg has offered so far" though and how this event is at all friendly to even long time players, so feel free to elaborate on that.

But most off I just want to point out how every convo I see you in, you either miss the point of the original post entirely, or dismiss it and act like a jerk to anyone who has a different opinion to you. Do you really have nothing better to do than sit on a forum and talk trash about people simply trying to start conversations?

• Funny 2

[APES]
Members
1,489 posts
8,671 battles

Each year the events have gotten worse.  They now follow a sunk cost fallacy model where people will invest a ton of time only to come up short.  They are then much more likely to spend money and get the ship.  There is nothing wrong with capitalism, but these are really greasy tactics. 

I don't want to see this game fail, I sincerely think WG would make more money if they revamp the monetization and events.

Edited by 0NutsNBolts0
  • Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,108 posts

WOWS events have always been grindy but the rewards are worth it if you persevere. The ARP Takao grind took up many a long evening but when I finally got it it was my first "high tier" ship and I played the bejesus out of it. It still ranks as my second-most-played ship. The recent Halloween scenario was a bit tedious toward the end but I got a nice tier X permacamo for my Gearing. The "Freedom" event a few months back netted me a tier X permacamo for my Des Moines. Even if you don't get the ship from this event you will likely get dozens of other perks, in signals, modules, XP, doubloons, coal, steel, and premium time. 

Members
3,097 posts
12,268 battles
7 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

WOWS events have always been grindy but the rewards are worth it if you persevere.

Not any more.  Events used to be less grindy and more rewarding.  Lately I don’t even bother participating because it is simply not worth my time.  Not that it bothers me in the least - I still play the way I like playing, it’s just all of the additional rewards I used to get by playing normally are no longer available.  The last rewarding event I remember was when I got Lazo.

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,521 battles
1 hour ago, LeanOdin said:

The directives are pretty blatantly awful. To name a few; earn 950,000 xp, earn 350,000 free xp in carriers as well as separate ones for french and soviet battleships, cruisers, and destroyers independently

They don't all have to be completed just finish a directive and move to the next and the ones not completed will still progress while working on the next one.

1 hour ago, 0NutsNBolts0 said:

They now follow a sunk cost fallacy model where people will invest a ton of time only to come up short. 

Rather cynical with that since even in co op quite a few task can be completed without spending anything.

5 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

I still play the way I like playing, it’s just all of the additional rewards I used to get by playing normally are no longer available.

The rewards for just playing are still there. The 3 daily containers, the 2 3 part daily missions and so on. With some of my ships a good win progresses 6 to 10 different mission requirements. Some of the rewards may not be won for weeks but they will be won eventually. 

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,549 posts
16,299 battles

Just take the PR off the table and enjoy the event. 

Lots of snowflakes for tons of free goodies

Go for the free Gorizia

have fun.

Do not let the PR grind get you down. So let it go or make a plan to kick it's butt.

Make a choice.