Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Usedcarjock

Flint vs Black

9 comments in this topic

[-TKS-]
Members
1,109 posts
8,968 battles

I’m not a guy who pushes ranked too hard, nor participated in clan battles, so choosing a steel ship is a bit important. Should I choose Black or Flint? I have Fletcher with the perma camo and Atlanta in my port for reference.

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
5,077 posts
8,205 battles

Black is certainly the more interesting of the two. Smoke + Radar, with torpedoes that are painfully slow but very hard to detect. Flint is a lot more straightforward, a smoke camping HE spammer, with the added novelty of being a USN Cruiser with decent torps. Ultimately it comes down to whether you prefer USN DD or USN CL gameplay. When faced with the same choice I picked the Black, and haven’t once regretted it. 

[-TKS-]
Members
1,109 posts
8,968 battles
3 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

Black is certainly the more interesting of the two. Smoke + Radar, with torpedoes that are painfully slow but very hard to detect. Flint is a lot more straightforward, a smoke camping HE spammer, with the added novelty of being a USN Cruiser with decent torps. Ultimately it comes down to whether you prefer USN DD or USN CL gameplay. When faced with the same choice I picked the Black, and haven’t once regretted it. 

The irony is I am more of a battleship player, but I do dabble in both US CL and DD gameplay now and again. Would having Belfast sort of nullify the point of Flint even further?

[SIM]
Members
5,077 posts
8,205 battles
4 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

The irony is I am more of a battleship player, but I do dabble in both US CL and DD gameplay now and again. Would having Belfast sort of nullify the point of Flint even further?

Yeah, unless you love the Belfast’s playstyle and want every variation on its flavor, I’d go for the Black. 

Members
1,438 posts
20,188 battles
17 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

I’m not a guy who pushes ranked too hard, nor participated in clan battles, so choosing a steel ship is a bit important. Should I choose Black or Flint? I have Fletcher with the perma camo and Atlanta in my port for reference.

One thing you will also want to consider is you can use Flint in Narai for farming elite captain exp/leveling captains and farming free exp, especially if you have a reliable group like Hoperations to play with. It is also an excellent cruiser choice for four ship Narai if that is something you want to consider trying.

Black, while more unique has no such benefit. As to Belfast, you can use both for first wins in Narai and for that purpose, you actually want both for earning captain exp and free exp.

[ANK-A]
Members
1,158 posts
10,259 battles

Been thinking of Flint myself for a long time.... finally have enough steel to do it, but all this IFHE talk has me very nervous.  the proposals if implemented will completely gut Atlanta and Flint HE performance.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,719 posts
12,736 battles

Personally, Black is far more versatile. Flint you basically pop smoke and shoot anything that's spotted. Black can smoke shoot, but it's far more fun to poop LOLtorps on wide spreads every minute and see what stumbles into them. Trust me, wide spreads all the time unless you are shooting between islands or you are about to hit them with your sword.

Oh yea, and it has radar. Which can either be game breaking OP or go totally unused. You can say about the smoke and guns too though.

[INTEL]
Members
3,127 posts
17,094 battles

Do you like mid-tier play over high tier?  Flint

Do you prefer DD play over cruiser?  Black

Do you do well in Atlanta?  Flint

Do you do well in Fletcher?  Black

Do you ever play Ops?  Flint.  Very much Flint.

You really can't go wrong with either one.

Sign in to follow this