You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Reymu

Anyone else gonna get Lutjens?

30 comments in this topic

[NG-NL]
Members
6,190 posts
9,843 battles

175,000 coal (suspect partly cause coal is more obtainable during the holiday events). But boy does he look tempting to KMS fans:

-15% secondary reload when hit 100 secondary hits, -7.5MB reload upon 140 MB hits (probably aimed at CRs), and the HP regen granted every time get 3 spotting ribbons.

The -10% plane regen time hardly matters since only GZ is a KMS CV.

Members
90 posts
8,090 battles

No, there is only one talent thats useful for surface ships.

The secondary one is pretty bad and the spotting one cant really make it work

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,605 posts
16,379 battles

Not any time soon. Going to use the event to finish the grind for Thunderer. After that then yeah will get him. 

[O7]
Members
1,031 posts
4,505 battles

Unique commanders with active skills are always worth the price, they give huge advantages in random battles, they are ranked in the following order:

1. Yamamoto   Pretty much the best commander due to second wind. While it is one of the hardest skills to trigger, it is an absolute game changer. You might only get to activate it once or twice a night, it is what turns a normal Kraken game into an epic game. First blood for an extra consumable is just icing on top.
  2. Luigi   Another broken commander with multiple impactful and consistent skills. Confederate is much easier to obtain than Kraken and gives a 15% DPM boost, a simple kill gives a 8% range increase, and 100 hits gives consumable duration. It is not a game changer like Yamamoto, but this commander is useful and provides advantages every game.
  3. Halsey   Straight up 20% boost to DPM with Confederate. Pretty consistent and very impactful. The draw back is that it is its only good skill, as double strikes are simply too rare to be of use.
  4. Gunther   The problem with this commander is that depending on what ship type you play you can only get at most 1 and half active skills. The secondary armament skill is useless because secondaries are useless. Main battery benefits all surface ships but it comes too late for the battleship to be of much use. Heal is only relevant on the destroyers, overall it gives a consistent but mediocre boost, it is simply a nerfed Luigi in comparison.
  5. Philippe   Devastating strikes is a very easy achievement to obtain, but the best part of this skill is that it can trigger very early in the game (and multiple times). Confederates and Krakens in comparison only happen half way or near the end, but a 5% boost from the very early game is pretty good. Extra speed for 2 million potential damage is nice, but again that is a bonus which normally triggers later in the game, and is thus less impactful. 1% fire chance for a cap sounds enticing but is actually a trap. you dont cap in random battles and this skill is a hidden nerf to the commander
  6. Nikolay   Will to victory, sounds good on paper, much less useful in practice. First of all, this skill is only really useful to battleships and large cruisers, but more importantly, while consistent, it is simply lack luster compared to DPM boosts of other commanders. First blood achievement is a nice icing but unlike Yamamoto, there is no cake.
  • Cool 3

[-TKS-]
Members
1,115 posts
8,996 battles

Just spent coal on Georgia so I’ll pass on the captain. Will probably go for either Thunderer, Salem, or Balans next.

[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator
3,023 posts
15,779 battles

Level him up to 19pts and put him on the Odin/Tirp/GK or even the Bis and watch the secondary having fun (Odin coming out soon too)

If you spec the GZ secondary, the captain also work in a funny way too

[RLGN]
Members
14,484 posts
25,685 battles
17 minutes ago, DolphinPrincess said:

Unique commanders with active skills are always worth the price, they give huge advantages in random battles, they are ranked in the following order:

Give me a freaking break, you say that like tossing off a Confederate, or any achievement for that matter, is as easy as throwing candy to kids in a parade.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Members
597 posts
7,397 battles
27 minutes ago, DolphinPrincess said:

1. Yamamoto   Pretty much the best commander due to second wind. While it is one of the hardest skills to trigger, it is an absolute game changer. You might only get to activate it once or twice a night, it is what turns a normal Kraken game into an epic game. First blood for an extra consumable is just icing on top.
  2. Luigi   Another broken commander with multiple impactful and consistent skills. Confederate is much easier to obtain than Kraken and gives a 15% DPM boost, a simple kill gives a 8% range increase, and 100 hits gives consumable duration. It is not a game changer like Yamamoto, but this commander is useful and provides advantages every game.
  3. Halsey   Straight up 20% boost to DPM with Confederate. Pretty consistent and very impactful. The draw back is that it is its only good skill, as double strikes are simply too rare to be of use.
  4. Gunther   The problem with this commander is that depending on what ship type you play you can only get at most 1 and half active skills. The secondary armament skill is useless because secondaries are useless. Main battery benefits all surface ships but it comes too late for the battleship to be of much use. Heal is only relevant on the destroyers, overall it gives a consistent but mediocre boost, it is simply a nerfed Luigi in comparison.
  5. Philippe   Devastating strikes is a very easy achievement to obtain, but the best part of this skill is that it can trigger very early in the game (and multiple times). Confederates and Krakens in comparison only happen half way or near the end, but a 5% boost from the very early game is pretty good. Extra speed for 2 million potential damage is nice, but again that is a bonus which normally triggers later in the game, and is thus less impactful. 1% fire chance for a cap sounds enticing but is actually a trap. you dont cap in random battles and this skill is a hidden nerf to the commander
  6. Nikolay   Will to victory, sounds good on paper, much less useful in practice. First of all, this skill is only really useful to battleships and large cruisers, but more importantly, while consistent, it is simply lack luster compared to DPM boosts of other commanders. First blood achievement is a nice icing but unlike Yamamoto, there is no cake.

Who activates a Kraken once or twice a night? Is that a German special whip the fraulein's bring out at night?

• Funny 1

Members
284 posts
4,672 battles
15 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Give me a freaking break, you say that like tossing off a Confederate, or any achievement for that matter, is as easy as throwing candy to kids in a parade.

Confed is easy though.. 

Members
284 posts
4,672 battles
3 minutes ago, Steeler_Nation_USA said:

Who activates a Kraken once or twice a night? Is that a German special whip the fraulein's bring out at night?

Some boats and nights are easier to get krakens , me and my buddy div up thunderer/bourgorne and usually get one once a night . All depends on the levels of potato.

[KSE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,732 posts
17,603 battles
1 hour ago, Reymu said:

175,000 coal (suspect partly cause coal is more obtainable during the holiday events). But boy does he look tempting to KMS fans:

-15% secondary reload when hit 100 secondary hits, -7.5MB reload upon 140 MB hits (probably aimed at CRs), and the HP regen granted every time get 3 spotting ribbons.

The -10% plane regen time hardly matters since only GZ is a KMS CV.

Eventually, I get everything that is available for Coal and FXP - Lutjens seems like a worthwhile pick - though I will wait for a "Commander Coupon" in the armory.

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts

Yes.... after Smolensk.  Already have Thunderer and Georgia so Lutjens and Kuznetsov next, until the next hotness hits the coal shop.

My grind for Lutjens probably starts Dec 26th.

[RLGN]
Members
14,484 posts
25,685 battles
13 minutes ago, Arlensauce93 said:

Confed is easy though.. 

Except I don’t believe that.

(9,450 Randoms (roughly,) / 39 Confederates = 1 per 243 games. Hardly ‘easy.’)

Members
284 posts
4,672 battles

Everyone's stats are different. Some people earn then often. Others not.

11 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Except I don’t believe that.

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
822 posts
7,323 battles

Short answer: nope.

IMO 175k coal is too much for a commander. I would rather have seen a campaign to earn Lutjens (one for Kuznetsov as well), like we have for Yamaoto and Halsey.

[O7]
Members
1,031 posts
4,505 battles
48 minutes ago, Steeler_Nation_USA said:

I usually end a night with a Kraken, get my daily 10 ESCL is essential as a 50% bonus helps a lot of grinding. If I get a Kraken early in the night and continue playing I will likely get more Krakens as I play

25 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

For me its 180 confeds in 935 games, or about 1 in 5

Its different for everyone, and it depends a lot on the kind of ships you play

[RLGN]
Members
14,484 posts
25,685 battles
1 hour ago, DolphinPrincess said:

I’m not sure I have a type of ship I play.

Which class has which percentage is different in PvP and PvE, but the splits are pretty similar.

As well, for 20k+ games, I have maybe 6-8 ships with over 500 games? And only one (Bogue,) over 1,000.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
typo

[SALVO]
Members
25,088 posts
26,474 battles
2 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I have to agree with you on this, Prophet, though perhaps in a slightly different way.

I don't like these special benefits that require you to reach some rather challenging goal before the benefit triggers.  I'd MUCH rather have enhanced existing skills that function from the very start of the battle.  These high hurdle special benefits seem designed to help unicum players who are a) more likely to reach the triggers and b) likely to reach the triggers early enough in the battle to get some benefit from, well, the special benefit.  What use is a special benefit that you can't reach or can't reach early enough for it to be of any use.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
25,088 posts
26,474 battles
1 hour ago, DolphinPrincess said:

I usually end a night with a Kraken, get my daily 10 ESCL is essential as a 50% bonus helps a lot of grinding. If I get a Kraken early in the night and continue playing I will likely get more Krakens as I play

For me its 180 confeds in 935 games, or about 1 in 5

Which only indicates the inherent unfairness of these sort of special benefits as compared to the enhanced skills.

1 hour ago, Diesel_Thunder said:

Short answer: nope.

IMO 175k coal is too much for a commander. I would rather have seen a campaign to earn Lutjens (one for Kuznetsov as well), like we have for Yamaoto and Halsey.

Agree 10000%, Thunder.  I wonder if the Devs were just lazy and didn't want to bother creating a special campaign for Lutjens.

• Cool 1

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,089 posts
7,978 battles

I‘ll likely get him for my Z-52. The spotting ribbons are fairly easy to get with her, and since my torpedo skills (player wise, not in-game captain wise) are dogpoop, I use my guns a lot which opens up the possibility of getting the reload skill to work as well.

[SIM]
Members
5,101 posts
8,219 battles

No chance, he's simply (in my opinion) too expensive for what he is. Same with Kuznetsov. The only thing getting that kind of Coal out of my supply is a ship.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,266 battles

I'll get him eventually, he'll be great for working on DDs, but the main question for me will be "when" I get him rather than "if". Do I go for him right away, or will I be enticed by a ship, either Thunderer, Yoshino, or some new hawtness that comes out some time in the near future?

[ARGSY]
Members
20,701 posts
14,760 battles
12 hours ago, Crucis said:

I wonder if the Devs were just lazy and didn't want to bother creating a special campaign for Lutjens.

Preoccupied with their million-dollar baby (Puerto Rico).

It's too much coal to spend for me, especially since I don't have the right ships to put him in. He really needs a T-61 or Z-39, a Tirpitz, a Graf Zeppelin, and the up-and-coming Mainz to jump freely between for best effect.

He's an interesting addition to the game, for sure. I'm just not sufficiently invested in my Kriegsmarine fleet that I have a need for him.

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts

I'm planning on it next honestly. I don't care for any of the Coal ships that I don't already have, and nothing on the near-horizon particularly peaks my interest, so I'd rather have the free-extra Commander for my Bismarck and Premium KM BB's.

[EQRN]
Members
2,058 posts
17,899 battles

I definitely want the commander, but it’s really cheesy if WG to not offer any sort of challenge for players to earn him.  I only want the Thunderer which I’ll get on the 26th, after which I might get him once I get 175k again.  Weak sauce, WG.