You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ComputerWhiz

What's the most powerful type of ship?

51 comments in this topic

[F-N-S]
Members
125 posts
3,421 battles

I'm curious to see how people would rank the different types of ships from most powerful to least powerful.

In my opinion, the destroyers are the most powerful ship in the game, to the point that they are almost too powerful. They have great concealment, torpedoes that can often be stealth fired and fantastic manoeuvrability. And there are quite a few that have very powerful shells.

Next, I'd say that the cruisers are the second most powerful. They are very versatile ships. Most are very good at dealing a high DPM with HE spam behind cover, thanks to a decently quick fire rate. They are still very manoeuvrable, their guns can be quite good and the armour on some nations is very strong. Then there are the ships like the Smolensk that have armour that's way too thin. That sounds like a disadvantage, but in reality it makes you virtually immune from penetration damage from battleships.

Finally, I'm not sure about whether aircraft carriers are more powerful than battleships. I'd say at the lower tiers battleships are certainly more powerful. They have huge guns and amazing armour. But in the higher tiers, I think they are the weakest type of ship. When it get to tier 10 you lose the armour advantage you have in the lower tiers. Angling doesn't work as well because many ships can deal a huge amount of damage to the super structure. There are cruisers that can easily chunk out 10k of damage per salvo. Then, 9-10 salvos later, you're dead. They also aren't very quick or manoeuvrable, which makes it easier for torpedoes to hit you and you also become a target for HE spam. You also lose the range advantage at the higher tiers, since a lot of cruisers can fire from a far range too.

As for aircraft carriers, there are a lot of people who think that they are overpowered, but I'd disagree. Maybe at lower tiers because the other ships lack decent AA suites, but at the higher tiers they aren't that bad. Their biggest talent is spotting. That's not to say that they can't deal good damage at times. As long as you stay together, you can usually pool enough AA fire power to protect yourself against them. At times you still can't stop an aircraft attack, but I think that's fine. If any other type of ship fires a salvo at you, there's not much you can do to stop it either.

• Boring 4

[O7]
Members
1,493 posts
10,966 battles

cv have complete domination over every other ship in the game regardless of skill levels from cv player and the victim so its easy to see why cv are the most powerful.

Edited by ITZ_ACE_BABY
  • Cool 7
  • Funny 3
  • Confused 3
  • Boring 6

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,624 posts
14,218 battles

If you are talking about the real world the two most powerful ships are the CV and the BB with the CV being more powerful because all fleet carriers are as fast if not faster than any BB allowing them to chose the range of engagement. If you are talking about the game that is situational, a DD less than 10 km from a BB with their torpedoes reloading is definitely the less powerful but a BB under fire from a smaller ship that the BB cannot target, smoke or behind an island is at their mercy until they can disengage which can take some time, try being a BB trying to get away from an Harugumo spamming fire at you.

25 minutes ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

cv have complete domination over every other ship in the game regardless of skill levels from cv player and the victim so its easy to see why cv are the most powerful.

26 minutes ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

You are correct for someone of your skill level but you should know better than to apply that to every CV player. I doubt you would say that about the players of any other class so show some class.

• Boring 1

[O7]
Members
1,493 posts
10,966 battles
6 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

You are correct for someone of your skill level but you should know better than to apply that to every CV player. I doubt you would say that about the players of any other class so show some class.

even the worst cv player has complete domination over a super unicum. other classes can be outplayed because they have counter play. 

i eagerly await the pro-cv players telling me to just hug other ships and ball together to avoid 1 class of ship how many other classes of ship require you to extreme measures in order for a small resemblance of counterplay?

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 4

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,624 posts
14,218 battles
2 minutes ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

even the worst cv player has complete domination over a super unicum. other classes can be outplayed because they have counter play. 

i eagerly await the pro-cv players telling me to just hug other ships and ball together to avoid 1 class of ship how many other classes of ship require you to extreme measures in order for a small resemblance of counterplay?

What reality are you from, unless I am in a ship that has minimal to no AA which is tier 3 - 5 since I rarely play DD's I am able to laugh at potato CV players and I am not anywhere near your skill level. With your stats you should be able to dust off potato CV planes with ease, quit lying.

[O7]
Members
1,493 posts
10,966 battles
10 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

What reality are you from, unless I am in a ship that has minimal to no AA which is tier 3 - 5 since I rarely play DD's I am able to laugh at potato CV players and I am not anywhere near your skill level. With your stats you should be able to dust off potato CV planes with ease, quit lying.

i come to the forums to mingle with the games finest and lie about awful game mechanics :)

if you could teach me how to be a master at cv counterplay i would love a tutorial video because all the unicums that havent left the game yet could really use the missing bit of information we dont have, with all our experience and deep wells of natural talent we have not figured out how to effectively counterplay cv.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,624 posts
14,218 battles
1 minute ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

i come to the forums to mingle with the games finest and lie about awful game mechanics :)

if you could teach me how to be a master at cv counterplay i would love a tutorial video because all the unicums that havent left the game yet could really use the missing bit of information we dont have, with all our experience and deep wells of natural talent we have not figured out how to effectively counterplay cv.

You are acting as if you are not shooting down planes, you don't counter the CV you counter the planes. Yes there are some ships that have poor AA but most of those are in tier 3 - 5 with some exceptions and most of those poor AA ships are extremely maneuverable once again with exceptions allowing you to lessen or even make the attacking planes miss.

• Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
19,850 posts
12,029 battles
1 hour ago, ComputerWhiz said:

I'm curious to see how people would rank the different types of ships from most powerful to least powerful.

In my opinion, the destroyers are the most powerful ship in the game, to the point that they are almost too powerful. They have great concealment, torpedoes that can often be stealth fired and fantastic manoeuvrability. And there are quite a few that have very powerful shells.

Next, I'd say that the cruisers are the second most powerful. They are very versatile ships. Most are very good at dealing a high DPM with HE spam behind cover, thanks to a decently quick fire rate. They are still very manoeuvrable, their guns can be quite good and the armour on some nations is very strong. Then there are the ships like the Smolensk that have armour that's way too thin. That sounds like a disadvantage, but in reality it makes you virtually immune from penetration damage from battleships.

Finally, I'm not sure about whether aircraft carriers are more powerful than battleships. I'd say at the lower tiers battleships are certainly more powerful. They have huge guns and amazing armour. But in the higher tiers, I think they are the weakest type of ship. When it get to tier 10 you lose the armour advantage you have in the lower tiers. Angling doesn't work as well because many ships can deal a huge amount of damage to the super structure. There are cruisers that can easily chunk out 10k of damage per salvo. Then, 9-10 salvos later, you're dead. They also aren't very quick or manoeuvrable, which makes it easier for torpedoes to hit you and you also become a target for HE spam. You also lose the range advantage at the higher tiers, since a lot of cruisers can fire from a far range too.

As for aircraft carriers, there are a lot of people who think that they are overpowered, but I'd disagree. Maybe at lower tiers because the other ships lack decent AA suites, but at the higher tiers they aren't that bad. Their biggest talent is spotting. That's not to say that they can't deal good damage at times. As long as you stay together, you can usually pool enough AA fire power to protect yourself against them. At times you still can't stop an aircraft attack, but I think that's fine. If any other type of ship fires a salvo at you, there's not much you can do to stop it either.

The one that the better player is driving.

• Cool 3

[SIM]
Members
5,077 posts
8,206 battles

The most influential ship type in the game is the type best able to control vision and attack from safety. A good DD trumps everything short of a CV, and a good CV trumps a DD.

[USCC2]
Members
6,094 posts

It depends what you are playing and when in game you are.

You seem to be talking power - as you state, DDs are powerful - the less opposition they have the better their chances. However, years of results on all 3 servers show DDs do the least damage on average and survive the least. This is because they start off facing many opponents at start game.

Some have stated that DDs (ship type) are OP, yet if you check the stats of those stating this, you will see their own stats show no such thing.

CVs are a little different in that their play is quick strike and far reaching, probably the fact that their HP doesn't suffer when they make mistakes, is where most have an issue(?)

But a ship type that is the strongest in a normal game, able to wipe opposing teams off the map. for me, none really! :Smile_honoring:

(Some single ships are very strong.) 

Edited by _WaveRider_

[RKLES]
Members
12,554 posts
14,283 battles
50 minutes ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

I am telling you as a former CV player and as an Anti Reworked CV player that if you take a ship with good AA that has been greatly enhanced with modules, Captain skills, and AA signal flags CV planes will either be constantly shot down, or they will lose a squadron quickly and decide to stay a very respectful distance away from your ship. And you can get relatively good AA starting at tier 5 and up on many ships. A small number of tier 4 ships I have found can be turned into AA ships either through AA guns or with catapult fighters that can be enhanced with Captain skills and using the premium cat fighter Consumables to make CVs nervous around your ship. But if your wanting actual good AA you need tiers 5-10. I should also point out you will need to be able to maneuver your warships in good evasion to either avoid the air drops, or avoid most of a given air drop. Combine the digging with the AA and it can really make a CV think twice about attacking your ship.

Most CVs seem more interested in a “Free Lunch”, so if you are proving rather costly for them, often a CV will give up on your ship. And if they do remain solely focused on your ship and you keep them tied up most of the battle that has only cost the enemy CV time and potential profits that they could have made attacking less difficult targets.

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,734 battles
2 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I am telling you as a former CV player and as an Anti Reworked CV player that if you take a ship with good AA that has been greatly enhanced with modules, Captain skills, and AA signal flags CV planes will either be constantly shot down, or they will lose a squadron quickly and decide to stay a very respectful distance away from your ship. And you can get relatively good AA starting at tier 5 and up on many ships. A small number of tier 4 ships I have found can be turned into AA ships either through AA guns or with catapult fighters that can be enhanced with Captain skills and using the premium cat fighter Consumables to make CVs nervous around your ship. But if your wanting actual good AA you need tiers 5-10. I should also point out you will need to be able to maneuver your warships in good evasion to either avoid the air drops, or avoid most of a given air drop. Combine the digging with the AA and it can really make a CV think twice about attacking your ship.

Most CVs seem more interested in a “Free Lunch”, so if you are proving rather costly for them, often a CV will give up on your ship. And if they do remain solely focused on your ship and you keep them tied up most of the battle that has only cost the enemy CV time and potential profits that they could have made attacking less difficult targets.

The problem is you should not have to spec out for a single type of ship to have a very small measure of "counterplay" if you can call it that.

Even a full AA build DM has crap for AA now compared to pre rebork and DM is touted right in its description on the tech tree as having powerful AA. Some ships need no speccing for AA at all to be effective, Wooster, Minotaur, and Smolensk come to mind.

By speccing for AA you cripple your ship in other areas and make yourself less effective and you may or may not even see a CV in your match.

[WORX]
Members
11,116 posts
18,750 battles

Overall or tier based power ???

Overall the must OP/over capable ships in the game are the BBs.

From there I would argue for gun DDs And cruisers and tied for 2nd place.

CVs are last but not because of what they lack in power... Its more, the power of the CV is disproportionate... Which make the class rather ackward... 

Lastly, Torp DDs.

• Torp DDs have the least capable play style in the game compare to the other ship classes.

This is what 0.8 patch series have created... I lot of areas of unbalanced ships... I dont see any remedy to fixing the

• AP spam
  • Fire Spam
  • Plane span

Anything soon...

[KWF]
Members
4,519 posts
6,405 battles

DDs may be pretty strong, but their high skill floor doesn't allow them to assert dominance. 

More often than not you will see them dying in the first five minutes of the game.

[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,441 posts
9,977 battles

Its CV, and its not even close.  That's the only right answer, this isn't even up for debate.  

If we're talking ships that don't break all the rules that make up this game, It would probably be a top-tier Destroyer.

• Funny 1

Members
328 posts
20 battles

Well it depends on how you quantify "most powerful".

I consider the most powerful class to be the one that is most capable of influencing a win for their team.  In which case we can simply check the stats and work it out from there.

DD's are the most powerful by a good margin - the win rates of the best players are noticeably better than those of any other class.  If you are a good player and you want to win as many battles as possible, you sail a DD.  It's that simple.

Next up are cruisers and CV's, pretty much tied.

Last are BB's - the best BB players are not as good at winning the game for their team as the best players of other classes.

Once again, this is not me making up my opinion on the subject - these are just the stats for battle influence on the win of each class.

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,263 posts
5,871 battles
2 hours ago, ComputerWhiz said:

It depends on the range, so map size, islands have a strong impact.

Let's imagine an Ocean map, large enough so ships are beyond visual range, CV will be the most powerful ship, squadrons will be sent to detect the red ships, once located planes will deal with the target... But as soon as surface ships can locate the CV, the CV is dead. So within visual range, BB, CA and DD will be always more powerful than CV.

That's why DDs often are or on top or bottom of the list... Managed to get close to a large unit, gunned, torped, killed a couple of times, DD is on top. Failed means died very early.

At very close range, secondary (and AA) guns matter.

There is then no "more powerful ship" in the game.

I recently played a ranked where maps are smaller, I spotted the red Midway not moving, told the BBs I would fly close to it so they could long range gun it... It took some time to the Midway player to react, probably busy with his planes, then F, start moving the giant, too late. Worked fine. I learned from others who sunk my CV that way... Since, first thing in ranked, hide the CV asap!

Reality was not exactly like that.

Up to the Great War, small torpedo boats would try to get close to capital ships and launch their torps, that's why "destroyers" were designed for... The French named those destroyers "contre torpilleur", literally, "against torpedo-boats". In the game, torpedo boats and destroyers are mixed, would be interesting to have distinct lines at least for some nations as IJN has.

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,263 posts
5,871 battles
3 hours ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

At close range any DD kills a CV... At long range any CV kills a DD! And CVs are often chased by couple of DDs, DD and CA partnering or even attacked by BB and CV together, planes spotting and BB gunning... If CVs were that immune they would never be sunk and that powerful, they would always be on top of the list.

Their power is their fighter consumables, a CV has 9 of them lasting 1 minute each. This means that dropped at the right moment and the right place, one team has an "awareness" advantage during 9 minutes, that's a lot... And still CV can fly around instead of attacking to spot.

Counter spotting is not easy, either CV team mate uses his own consumable to intercept red CV fighters but takes time... AA can, means an AA cruiser has to sail towards the fighters... Smoke? That's why they are overpowered, a CV can influence a battle just spotting, even without launching a single rocket, torp or bomb.

Nerfing CV planes damage and HP lead CV players to play much better spotting and even have more influence!

Members
566 posts
255 battles

i see some erroneous conclusions here. if one supposes that spotting is the strongest mechanic in the game, which is arguable, then the advantage goes to dd's with cv second. cv can spot more, but some ships have absurdly low plane detection range and they get to see the planes and actively avoid them. but dd's are better because they can also 1 shot dev strike delete what they spot, with torps, without ever being seen if they do it right. however dd's aren't quite the most powerful ship type, even though they can see other ships while staying out of detection range themselves and spam walls o' skill. 

i can say with authority that battleships, in this game are not the most powerful ship type. not in a 1v1 situation which is their best chance. now, if a team of bb's, dd's, cruisers and a cv play together against a similar team, then battleships can shine. to do well against other ship types they need spotting, and support. otherwise they can only ever shoot other battleships that are revealed by gun bloom. without spotting, a battleship can't fire a shot.

so cruisers are unequivocally the most powerful ship type. they are like dd's with stealth, torps, and bigger highly accurate rapid fire guns. some have radar to defeat dd's. they can easily burn down battleships while dodging income shells. they dictate the range. they can 

i'm too sleepy to think

Members
1,225 posts
5,930 battles

DDs by far, they are also the hardest for potatos to do well in though. There is a reason the team that loses it's DDs first tends to lose the game. A lot of people might say CVs but CVs have next to no alpha, poor spotting ability, and little ability to actually change the tide of a match.

Edited by Tekina_