You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
JEFFREY_LEI

How Come I am Detected in Smoke Although I am Not Detected by Hydro or Radar

15 comments in this topic

Members
337 posts
1,113 battles

Today I was playing my Hipper and I got in a smoke my teammates popped and then I got detected although it doesn’t say that I am detected by Radar or Hydro. What happened?

Edited by JEFFREY_LEI

Members
1,445 posts
7,009 battles

If you were firing, it was probably gun bloom. Not sure what Hipper is exactly, but probably 6-7km...

Edit: Worse than I thought, 8.5km

Matt

Edited by mobryan

[GRAVE]
Members
1,305 posts
19,030 battles
3 minutes ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

Today I was playing my Hipper and I got in a smoke my teammates popped and then I got detected although it doesn’t say that I am detected by Radar or Hydro.

WG pls fix 

when you fire your guns in smoke, you can be spotted through it if another ship is close enough to the smoke when you fire.

1 minute ago, mobryan said:

you were firing, it was probably gun bloom. Not sure what Hipper is exactly, but probably 6-7km...

actually more around mid 8km.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,806 posts
4 minutes ago, mobryan said:

If you were firing, it was probably gun bloom. Not sure what Hipper is exactly, but probably 6-7km...

Matt

This.  Not a bug.

There is also a default detection range in smoke, it's a lot closer but you don't have to be firing your guns and can still be detected.

As an example the new Italian cruisers have smoke but can be detected from the Sun in it anyway.  Their detection range, in smoke, if they fire, is something like 8.3km.

Members
337 posts
1,113 battles
Just now, tfcas119 said:

when you fire your guns in smoke, you can be spotted through it if another ship is close enough to the smoke when you fire.

actually more around mid 8km.

Oh

[PVE]
Members
19,851 posts
12,029 battles
12 minutes ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

Today I was playing my Hipper and I got in a smoke my teammates popped and then I got detected although it doesn’t say that I am detected by Radar or Hydro. What happened?

This is the wiki for all the various ways to be spotted. To compete well in randoms you will want to know the values of the ship you are playing.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detection

[POP]
Members
4,458 posts
11,592 battles
12 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

You can also be body spotted if someone got within 2km or so from your ship.

Hopefully only 2km, unless you run into the special kind of player that thinks TASM1 is a better choice than the concealment and dispersion buffs from CSM1

[INTEL]
Members
3,137 posts
17,171 battles

If you select the ‘H’ key in battle it will tell you what your smoke firing detection range is. 

[SYN]
Members
8,236 posts
13,957 battles

Likely there was a ship within your ship firing bloom. All ships have a different bloom to their detection when firing their guns, even in smoke (obviously the bloom is smaller in smoke). It's good to know these stats cause sitting in smoke while detected is dangerous. 

[LOU1]
Members
4,180 posts
12,207 battles

In-game, you can hold the Ctrl key and hover the cursor over the outline of your ship in the lower left to see the various values for the ship you are playing.

Edited by ExploratorOne

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,364 posts
19,549 battles
2 hours ago, mobryan said:

If you were firing, it was probably gun bloom.

This, fer sure!

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,154 posts
5,184 battles
2 hours ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

You can also be body spotted if someone got within 2km or so from your ship.

Dont forget its up to 3km if you find someone foolish enough to not take Concealment systems in slot 5 (more people than you would expect)