You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Icthar

Is Alaska pretty much the best available FXP ship?

56 comments in this topic

[IHW]
Members
16 posts
5,553 battles

I'm coming up on 1M FXP, and I'll probably pick one up while it provides me with a snowflake...

Thanks

[WOLFC]
Members
2,912 posts
16,694 battles

Personally, I would get it before Azuma.  Now Friesland is in a different wheel house ... and I'm sure many would claim it is a stronger ship.

A lot depends on your preference ... Cruiser or Destroyer?  edit: disclosure ...  the only one of the 3 I have is Alaska

Edited by DocWalker

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,801 posts

Is like asking if Chevy makes the best cars.  You are going to get bunch of different opinions.

If there was a "best" ship, no-one would bother with any of the others.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,608 posts
11,301 battles
11 minutes ago, Icthar said:

I'm coming up on 1M FXP, and I'll probably pick one up while it provides me with a snowflake...

Thanks

Should have picked up the Alaska Black its great looking then free XP the Friesland . Then you have two snowflakes .

[PVE]
Members
12,083 posts
24,967 battles
10 minutes ago, Icthar said:

Thanks

Hard to say as I have so many Premiums, many that were FXP, that I don't know which ones are actually available now? 

Out of Friesland, Azuma, and Alaska (all 1 Million FXP and available now I believe) "IMO" Alaska is the best. It's fits my playstyle best and the mode I play best (Co-op). Take my opinion FWIW to you...

• I actually don't have Azuma in full disclosure as I purposely passed on it. Could grab it this minute if wanted but I don't. If I end up with it I will get it through a Santa crate. I won't spend real $$$ or valuable FXP on it. Saw enough WIP replays to know it is a weak ship (IMHO). 
  • I have Friesland as someone bought it for me as a gift. I would not have used real $$$ or FXP on it. I only Co-op and a DD without torps there is useless IMO. The AA is fantastic but the rest of the ship is meh to me. Lots of daka sure but just 4 small guns, bad concealment, and just average speed for a DD. In PVP where you have lots of time to build damage via fires it is probably pretty good. But in Co-op it is weak offensively.
  • Alaska on the other hand is a great ship IMO. Darn near a BB. It tanks great and the guns are accurate and hit hard. AA is decent. HE is a little meh fire chance wise but the AP is great. This ship is well worth the 1 Million FXP IMO. YMMV.

Is Nelson still available at 375,000 FXP? That is a decent ship and a lot cheaper than the T9's.

FWIW and hope it helps.:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[T_O_P]
Members
411 posts

I have both, Alaska B and Friesland. I'd say it depends on your playstyle. I haven't figured out the FriesLand yet, or probably because I only have ...6?  points on her captain, to me she doesn't seem as strong a ship, for now, as I thought from watching uTube. it does have a really fast reload time, so you can pew pew pew pew pew pew pew... :Smile_veryhappy: Alaska is pretty good from the start, even without any upgrades.

[T_O_P]
Members
411 posts
7 minutes ago, clammboy said:

Should have picked up the Alaska Black its great looking then free XP the Friesland . Then you have two snowflakes .

exactly what I did.

OP, Friesland is a different type of gameplay. also keep in mind... she isn't as fast as other destroyers, plus no speed boost ...right, and of course no torps, but you knw that.

Members
1,058 posts
7,478 battles

It is definitely strong.  The problem with the Friesland is it is essentially a Tier 7 DD with Tier 10 AA.  It is good *IF* a CV is in the match and *IF* the CV attacks you.  If both conditions are not satisfied, you are a tier 7 DD stuck with Tier 9 MM.

• Confused 3

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,608 posts
11,301 battles
16 minutes ago, RusskiySpy said:

exactly what I did.

OP, Friesland is a different type of gameplay. also keep in mind... she isn't as fast as other destroyers, plus no speed boost ...right, and of course no torps, but you knw that.

I got the Scharnhorst black and the Massachusetts black both of which are drop dead gorgeous . But I didn't have enough money to buy the Alaska black too bummed me out . I do have 2 million FXP but I'm going to wait till next years black Friday event to get the Alaska and use the FXP on something else .

Edited by clammboy

[WOLFC]
Members
502 posts
6,723 battles

I have all 3, and my take would be as follows:

Alaska: Plays like the other ships in the US CA line. Good gunnery, good toolkit, can take a hit but don't think you're a BB. LMW's "Plus sized Baltimore" quip is pretty accurate. I've used it as a good trainer for my US CA captains, and a US BB captain wouldn't be completely out of place in it.

Azuma: Haven't taken this one out often, but always seem to do ok with it. It's similar to Yoshino, without the torps. Good, accurate gunnery, but big.

Friesland: Torpedoless DD, with two fast reloading guns. Basically: Kind of like a higher tier, smaller Atlanta. Make sure you have enough credits on hand to fully outfit it, and remember it's a EU DD, so your captain swap options are limited, and the skillset is different than Blys.

In terms of gunnery, I kinda think of it like this.

Atlanta:

giphy.gif

Friesland:

OrderlyPeacefulFreshwatereel-size_restri

Shell arcs are closer to the US style than others, but you can make other DDs lives difficult when you want to contest a cap. Also a near no fly zone for CVs.

Edit:

Almost forgot about this one, but really shouldn't have.

Nelson: RN BB with decent guns, and bow tanks really, really well. Just don't show your backside.

Edited by Nolo_00
forgot a ship

[RLGN]
Members
14,458 posts
25,612 battles
30 minutes ago, Sic_44 said:

Best FXP ship is the Nelson, let's just get that straight now :Smile_teethhappy:

I sure as hell like Nelson better than Alaska.

Alaska is just another useless port queen to me.

• Boring 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,801 posts
9 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I sure as hell like Nelson better than Alaska.

Alaska is just another useless port queen to me.

AK is a great heavy cruiser.  She punches hard.

Nelson though, I can't count the number it times that I have looked at a mission requirement and Nelson was the answer.

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
838 posts
10,022 battles

Agree it’s up to play style preference, I own and like all 3 but if I had to chose I would take Alaska but it’s close.

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,800 posts
11,921 battles
1 hour ago, DocWalker said:

many would claim it is a stronger ship.

You should read LWM's review on friesland first before making such sweeping claims. 

Personally, i got my 1 and only solo warrior in an Alaska, and against 5 enemy ships including a Midway. I'd say Alaska is the stronger pick. Its a hard world for a dd without torpedoes.

[IHW]
Members
16 posts
5,553 battles

I realize I should have stated in my original post that I already have the Nelson... 

(And it is indeed a good ship)

I was thinking of the expensive FXP ones.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,458 posts
25,612 battles
5 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

AK is a great heavy cruiser.  She punches hard.

That’s just it. I’m not seeing it.

WG blathers on and on about overmatch, and when I do what’s been said I should do, I get things like Georgia AP ricocheting off a Chapayev, or watching Atago AP land across the middle of a broadside Shchors and do nothing meaningful.

If ships that supposedly ‘hit hard’ actually showed tangible results more often, I might be more inclined to believe the hype.

• Cool 4

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,143 posts
16,226 battles
4 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

WG blathers on and on about overmatch, and when I do what’s been said I should do, I get things like Georgia AP ricocheting off a Chapayev, or watching Atago AP land across the middle of a broadside Shchors and do nothing meaningful.

If ships that supposedly ‘hit hard’ actually showed tangible results more often, I might be more inclined to believe the hype.

I agree  and one of the stupidest things I've seen is that various Cruisers and BB's  and even some  DD's  can and do citadel a Minotaur  but all  some of these get off of a Smellensk  are overpens  :Smile_facepalm:  That's just  :etc_swear:    :Smile-angry:

• Funny 1

[UEFN]
Members
1,339 posts
23,251 battles

For me personally, the Friesland is more fun, Alaska more practical.  If you're not fond of playing DD you will died quickly sitting in smoke eating torps all day all night every single day, or get sneaked up by a radar mino or worcester to blow you out of water.

Friesland is another HE spamming cancer, sometimes it's hilarious to fight other cancers with cancer, one of the best AA in-game, german hydro, and gearing smoke, this thing is a blast to play.

Alaska is reliable and overall just a solid ship, troll armor and one of the best battle cruiser gun IMO, she is a much better than the complete trash Azuma and temperamental Krons. 

[SSBN]
Members
165 posts
6,353 battles
12 minutes ago, Icthar said:

I realize I should have stated in my original post that I already have the Nelson... 

(And it is indeed a good ship)

I was thinking of the expensive FXP ones.

In that case, can vouch that Alaska is a fun ship and a good one in the right situations. She's a bit weird to play when playing her as an American cruiser but I've had good luck in her for the most part playing like a somewhat squishy BB. I don't think there's really any wrong answer when it comes to the high tier fxp ships.

[T_O_P]
Members
411 posts
18 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I'm seeing a lot of non-pens with Friesland (but I only have like 6 pts on my captain. My 1st 4-point skill that I will take will be IFHE (despite whatever changes are coming to it) so that it can hit a little harder..

Edited by RusskiySpy
spelling

[RLGN]
Members
14,458 posts
25,612 battles
5 minutes ago, Sic_44 said:

In that case, can vouch that Alaska is a fun ship and a good one in the right situations. She's a bit weird to play when playing her as an American cruiser but I've had good luck in her for the most part playing like a somewhat squishy BB. I don't think there's really any wrong answer when it comes to the high tier fxp ships.

I did better in my initial five Randoms in Buffalo (80% wr,) than I did in Alaska (20% wr,) it should be pretty obvious which was the more fun experience.