You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
JEFFREY_LEI

Is the Puerto Rico worth getting?

53 comments in this topic

Members
337 posts
1,113 battles

Should I spend $100 (on doubloons) to get the Puerto Rico? Currently my highest tier ship is Hipper and I think it is great. I also love my Mahan.

Edit: Also tell me if the ship is good or not

Edited by JEFFREY_LEI

[O_O]
Members
6,556 posts
15,559 battles

I don't think any digital ship is worth anywhere close to $100...but your opinion may vary.

• Cool 6

Members
337 posts
1,113 battles
1 minute ago, desmo_2 said:

I don't think any digital ship is worth anywhere close to $100...but your opinion may vary.

There’s other rewards while the ship builds too.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,634 posts
11,296 battles

To each his own.   While I'd love to have the ship, and will grind my potato butt off to get it, $100 is a bit steep for a ship.  However, for many, $100 isn't steep.   It depends on whether that's a reasonable amount for you.

Actually, the more I think about all the hours I'm going to put into grinding, my time in-game will be well over $100 worth.    So, the $100 for a guaranteed ship (and easy paced grind) might be more affordable (and less taxing)

Good luck either way you go!

Members
623 posts
90 battles

No I dont think it's worth it. From a performance perspective, I fought a PR in my Alaska. I don't know whether the player didnt know how to use the ship or not but given he was a super unicum I assume he did. 

But I owned him in my Alaska, getting citadels on him when he would bow tank me and pens when broadside. It just didnt feel threatening at all. I think he tried to kite me since he I was taking off so much of his hp.

I am happy with my Alaska. You would think a 12 gun super alaska would be more devastating but for me every encounter was meh.

Bad ship I say, get the Alaska instead it's a much better ship and you save your sanity with not having to do a stupid grind.

Edited by ___V_E_N_O_M___

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,544 posts
16,276 battles
11 minutes ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

Should I spend $100 (on doubloons) to get the Puerto Rico? Currently my highest tier ship is Hipper and I think it is great. I also love my Mahan.

Yes she is worth getting no do not spend $100.00

Do as much of the event as you can. When we are near the end check the finish now price and then decide if you want to pay for what is left.

• Cool 2

[AWOW]
Members
6 posts
4,098 battles

Question:  I'm traveling from Dec 26th thru Jan 5th, am I out of luck in building this ship in time or will the next couple weeks be enough time to complete this ship building?

[WOLFC]
Members
2,912 posts
16,686 battles
7 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

I don't think any digital ship is worth anywhere close to $100... ...

My threshold for ship worth is even less than that ... regardless, only you, OP, can determine what it's worth to you in money vs time.  From everything I've seen, you don't have to spend money to get the ship;  as with most events, it just makes it faster.  Good luck!

I'll just play my regular game and use the free boost and those for ship tokens and see how far it gets me. Tier for Tier I've heard Alaska is a better ship, so I'm not overly concerned about getting PR.

[WOLFG]
Members
9,923 posts
8,984 battles
2 minutes ago, Shyber1969 said:

Question:  I'm traveling from Dec 26th thru Jan 5th, am I out of luck in building this ship in time or will the next couple weeks be enough time to complete this ship building?

These things are usually grind heavy, but if you were to get enough of the boosts early enough, it might be possible.

We won't have all the information till the patch updates tomorrow.

• Cool 1

[T_O_P]
Members
411 posts
44 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Honestly, I agree 100% here. IMO their real price is UP TO $40.

EDIT: Supply and demand of course, but as some others have stated, the supply is unlimited (because pixels), and after initial development the cost is free. It's just a matter of demand. if people keep buying at such prices, the prices will stay high and may even go up. basically it is on individual player's perspective: are they willing to part with x amount of money to get what they are offered?

Edited by RusskiySpy

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts
18 minutes ago, Arlensauce93 said:

Grind it for free  maybe get 1 booster to help ease the grind.

This is my plan.

The only possible wrench in the plan is DB cost of the first booster.  Saw 4K in the WG announcement. 

Hope that is correct.

[RLGN]
Members
14,458 posts
25,590 battles
20 minutes ago, Arlensauce93 said:

13 minutes ago, paradat said:

Yes she is worth getting no do not spend $100.00

Do as much of the event as you can. When we are near the end check the finish now price and then decide if you want to pay for what is left.

Like these players and others said; grind to the best of your ability, then decide near the end if you’re close enough that spending real money is worth it.

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
1,086 posts
3,987 battles
18 minutes ago, Shyber1969 said:

If you're untimely on finishing directives and not logging in to get the daily shipment tokens and earn the daily mission tokens, then I don't think you'd be able to finish it on time for free, as you would need to apply 2,400 of the 2,665 tokens available to convert into boosters.  640 of the tokens comes from Daily Missions, which adds up to 20 per day, so missing half of those will mean you won't have enough tokens for all the boosters to finish the ship, and the timing of those boosters does matter.  We're still waiting to see how the doubloon boosters will help, and how much they will each cost.

Edited by Bonfor
  • Cool 1

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,996 posts
14,459 battles
32 minutes ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

Edit: Also tell me if the ship is good or not

I think it behooves you to work your way up to a real tier 10... I would hate to see you in a T10 battle with this ship right off.   BUT I think from what I hear, that earning the PR will not be super difficult, just takes time, and as others have stated you can speed it up with smaller purchases.

Members
935 posts
4,079 battles

I really wouldn't recommend spending 100 dollars for a ship in a digital game. It's quite a steep price for a virtual item, even with the other rewards included. You could buy one of the boosters to boost your overall progress to make it easier but IMO, there are better things to spend 100 dollars on

Members
102 posts

Probably would've done better ramping up the price of boosters and making the first one cheap. At 1K I think a lot of people would have just grabbed the first right out the door -- I probably would have, and I'm not especially interested in the PR, but the "boost early for maximum effect" draw makes it worth that much. Instead I expect a lot of people will wait until the end and only get a booster if they have to. Personally, I'll see how onerous the last couple sets of objectives are and will either plan to grind them or just shrug and not bother getting the PR.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,544 posts
16,276 battles
24 minutes ago, Shyber1969 said:

Hmmm probably not for free. If you do what you can before your trip you will definitely bring the price way down.

[TBW]
Members
10,362 posts
17,639 battles
30 minutes ago, Shyber1969 said:

Question:  I'm traveling from Dec 26th thru Jan 5th, am I out of luck in building this ship in time

Find a Proxy player.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,779 posts

If you can manage to get the PR, it's worth it.

1)  It's a tier X ship with permacamo.

2) It will be a tier X every time WG does an event that gives you something just for having or playing one battle in a tier X, such as the flakes-for-crates coming up tomorrow, or the anniversary containers. 

3) The process of building the PR also gives away a metric shipton of crates, signals, camos, coal, steel, etc.

4) The directives involved in grinding the shipbuilding tokens also have a metric shipton of payout in various forms. 

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,608 posts
11,301 battles
44 minutes ago, Arlensauce93 said:

I thought they said you can’t grind it for free you won’t make it 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,779 posts
Just now, clammboy said:

I thought they said you can’t grind it for free you won’t make it 

They said, at least, that you CAN get it for free if you grind through the Directives. 

Looking at the math in PTS and what we know of the live final version, it won't be a leisurely grind, because every minute counts, you have to get X boosters by Y date in order to accumulate enough points. 

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,608 posts
11,301 battles
Just now, KilljoyCutter said:

They said, at least, that you CAN get it for free if you grind through the Directives. 

Looking at the math in PTS and what we know of the live final version, it won't be a leisurely grind, because every minute counts, you have to get X boosters by Y date in order to accumulate enough points. 

Ok I thought I saw were your going to have to buy a few boosters to make it . That’s still better than paying 100 . 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,779 posts
3 minutes ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

I want to know if it is a good ship.

I don't think it will be bad.  Alaska is a competent ship, and this is a tier up and with 3 more guns in the main battery.

Won't really be able to give a detailed opinion until when/if I get it.