Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Let The Wife Buy It!

18 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

3,505
[RKLES]
Members
12,554 posts
14,283 battles

Very nice! I almost got a Solo Warrior in Roon couple days ago, but needed 1 more enemy ship to of been still alive to of gotten it. Think Solo Warrior is one of the most elusive awards to get in the game. :Smile_medal:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,370
[ARGSY]
Members
20,545 posts
14,665 battles
15 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Solo Warrior still occurs if you are the last ship against four but then a ship is sunk with a Flesh Wound.

So it should. There's nothing that specifies if, when or how those four ships have to die - only that their lone opponent be the winner.

In fact, I bet if the minimum four enemy ships all contrived to teamkill each other, it would still work. Of course there is no realistic way to test this, since it relies on four Random Battle players all being (a) on the same team, (b) the last four survivors vs. a lone enemy, (c) willing to throw the match in this fashion and (d) willing to go pink. 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,188
[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
3,668 posts
14,005 battles

:Smile_trollface:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,571
[WOLFG]
Members
29,506 posts
8,660 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

image.png.10177bde25fbe89aefacfaffce0e9f35.png

 

He's lucky.

My wife would have specifically waited until I was playing and not paying attention, and I wouldn't have known until I heard it revving in the driveway.....

Not only that, but the only way I'd get to drive it is if I promised not to mess with her "old lady" seat/steering wheel settings lol.

  • Funny 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,074
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,342 posts
19,528 battles
2 hours ago, Skpstr said:

My wife would have specifically waited until I was playing and not paying attention, and I wouldn't have known until I heard it revving in the driveway.....

My wife had nasty habit of pocketing whatever change was left over whenever I gave her money to get something for me or pay a bill while I was at work. One day we went to dinner and of course I paid and in cash. The waitress brought me my change back and I told my wife …..

"See, you give money to some women and they will actually bring back the change."

To which she replied …...

"Yeah, but she doesn't have to sleep with you."

Ya gotta love 'em, because!

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,571
[WOLFG]
Members
29,506 posts
8,660 battles
40 minutes ago, Umikami said:

My wife had nasty habit of pocketing whatever change was left over whenever I gave her money to get something for me or pay a bill while I was at work. One day we went to dinner and of course I paid and in cash. The waitress brought me my change back and I told my wife …..

"See, you give money to some women and they will actually bring back the change."

To which she replied …...

"Yeah, but she doesn't have to sleep with you."

Ya gotta love 'em, because!

:Smile_teethhappy:

It's very rare I have any actual money. And when I do manage to hang on to some, invariably, no more than a day or two afterwards, we stop for coffee or a small bite to eat, and it's, "oh, do you have any cash on you? I don't really want to use the debit card just for this." 

And like a sucker, I cough up the dough every time.....

It's funny how we put up with behaviour we wouldn't tolerate (for long anyway) from anyone else, and find it endearing to boot lol!

Edited by Skpstr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
662
[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,611 posts
10,459 battles

You get the solo warrior if you win and you were the last ship against 4 or more enemy ships at any point in the game, even if those ships die but not by your ship.  It is one of the harder awards to achieve.  Good job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SYN]
Members
1,249 posts
10,458 battles

@Snargfargle congrats on the solo warrior. My last one I didn't even realize I was up for it until 45 seconds before the end of battle. I was kinda glad I didn't realise it earlier.  Less chance to make a stupid play. 

Edit: my clanmate in a different battle on Discord thought I had flipped. 

Edited by Ensign_Pulver_2016

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,570
[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
20,008 battles
1 hour ago, Umikami said:

My wife had nasty habit of pocketing whatever change was left over whenever I gave her money to get something for me or pay a bill while I was at work. One day we went to dinner and of course I paid and in cash. The waitress brought me my change back and I told my wife …..

"See, you give money to some women and they will actually bring back the change."

To which she replied …...

"Yeah, but she doesn't have to sleep with you."

Ya gotta love 'em, because!

Wow … 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,570
[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
20,008 battles
4 hours ago, Skpstr said:

He's lucky.

My wife would have specifically waited until I was playing and not paying attention, and I wouldn't have known until I heard it revving in the driveway.....

Not only that, but the only way I'd get to drive it is if I promised not to mess with her "old lady" seat/steering wheel settings lol.

As long as she's not driving the red Camaro that screams "Cougar!" :)

1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

:Smile_teethhappy:

It's very rare I have any actual money. And when I do manage to hang on to some, invariably, no more than a day or two afterwards, we stop for coffee or a small bite to eat, and it's, "oh, do you have any cash on you? I don't really want to use the debit card just for this." 

And like a sucker, I cough up the dough every time.....

It's funny how we put up with behaviour we wouldn't tolerate (for long anyway) from anyone else, and find it endearing to boot lol!

Do yourself a favor … cut up the debit cards 

Only use cash or credit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,074
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,342 posts
19,528 battles
3 hours ago, Skpstr said:

It's funny how we put up with behaviour we wouldn't tolerate (for long anyway) from anyone else, and find it endearing to boot lol!

Six inches of skin that rules the world!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,571
[WOLFG]
Members
29,506 posts
8,660 battles
11 hours ago, Commander_367 said:

As long as she's not driving the red Camaro that screams "Cougar!" :)

Lol no worries there. She's only 34, and actually wants a soccer mom truck.

11 hours ago, Commander_367 said:

Do yourself a favor … cut up the debit cards 

Only use cash or credit 

If we gave up the debit cards, then we'd have to use the CC for online purchases. (it's only for emergencies, because we both have past issues with credit we don't want to have again, a mortgage and a car payment is good enough) And then it would end up as a substitute debit card, and not get paid off every month, because cash would also get spent on top of that.

For us, credit is the devil, unless it's a purchase we can't possibly afford by saving, and non-payment carries more dire consequences than collections. (like a house or car)

8 hours ago, Umikami said:

Six inches of skin that rules the world!

And by the time you get old enough that it's less of a factor, you're already well-trained lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,570
[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
20,008 battles
35 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Lol no worries there. She's only 34, and actually wants a soccer mom truck.

If we gave up the debit cards, then we'd have to use the CC for online purchases. (it's only for emergencies, because we both have past issues with credit we don't want to have again, a mortgage and a car payment is good enough) And then it would end up as a substitute debit card, and not get paid off every month, because cash would also get spent on top of that.

For us, credit is the devil, unless it's a purchase we can't possibly afford by saving, and non-payment carries more dire consequences than collections. (like a house or car)

And by the time you get old enough that it's less of a factor, you're already well-trained lol.

This is advice for younger kids and may not be useful to you … 

 

Debit cards are a problem because you have little security, you're paying with your own cash direct from your account and there is no intermediary to cover losses or resolve disputes … 

You may not trust yourself to handle credit cards atm, but it's the easiest way to establish good credit and raise your credit rating - debit cards don't do that

You might try recording all your purchases and budgeting on a spreadsheet - this will help to avoid overspending and surprises at the end of the month 

Your credit rating is important for any business transaction … everything from purchases to loans, even getting/keeping a job or travel

As we move to a cashless society, you may not have an option - I know this sounds crazy :)

 

I know credit is a double edged sword and can create fear, but you want it to work for you and make life easier … it does open doors

Edited by Commander_367

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,571
[WOLFG]
Members
29,506 posts
8,660 battles
1 hour ago, Commander_367 said:

Debit cards are a problem because you have little security, you're paying with your own cash direct from your account and there is no intermediary to cover losses or resolve disputes … 

Our bank (TD) is pretty good. We've never had any issues, but my brother-in-law had had his number pirated, and lost a couple days' worth of daily limit. He was reimbursed within a couple of days.

1 hour ago, Commander_367 said:

You may not trust yourself to handle credit cards atm, but it's the easiest way to establish good credit and raise your credit rating - debit cards don't do that

Credit's good now, and making timely payments on house and car is quite effective in keeping it there.

Debit cards don't help your credit rating, true, but they also have no potential to hurt it either.

1 hour ago, Commander_367 said:

You might try recording all your purchases and budgeting on a spreadsheet - this will help to avoid overspending and surprises at the end of the month 

We do that now. Discipline is really what you need though. Similar priorities help too. My wife wants us to go to Disney. I can go full on bare necessities only, for maximum saving. The wife can't.

I've learned that it's preferable to hear her complain that we don't have any money, to watching her behave like a depressed animal in captivity because she can't spend any lol.

1 hour ago, Commander_367 said:

Your credit rating is important for any business transaction … everything from purchases to loans, even getting/keeping a job or travel

For others maybe, there's only two things that I'll allow us to buy on credit, house and car, and those are my line in the sand. I've told my wife that we'll eat meals at her mother's before we botch either of those payments.

The wife works for the school board, and has enough seniority to avoid any layoffs. I work at a small business, same place for over 20 years. Even if I don't retire from it, with the minimum wage hike, I can replace the lion's share of my income doing....... well, pretty much anything lol.

1 hour ago, Commander_367 said:

As we move to a cashless society, you may not have an option - I know this sounds crazy :)

Not at all. Cash is becoming less and less convenient to use. I remember the first couple times I rented a car back in the day, I left cash deposits. Last time just before I got married, (had no CC at the time) they wouldn't accept it. Luckily, I needed the rental as the result of an accident, my insurance agent was good friends with my boss, and State Farm has just a little bit of pull with rental agencies. They ended up taking my cash.  

1 hour ago, Commander_367 said:

 

I know credit is a double edged sword and can create fear, but you want it to work for you and make life easier … it does open doors

I agree, but unless you develop good habits young enough so that they become automatic, it can sometimes be less stressful to just get to a "decent" credit rating, and avoid using it whenever possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,570
[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
20,008 battles
7 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Our bank (TD) is pretty good. We've never had any issues, but my brother-in-law had had his number pirated, and lost a couple days' worth of daily limit. He was reimbursed within a couple of days.

Credit's good now, and making timely payments on house and car is quite effective in keeping it there.

Debit cards don't help your credit rating, true, but they also have no potential to hurt it either.

We do that now. Discipline is really what you need though. Similar priorities help too. My wife wants us to go to Disney. I can go full on bare necessities only, for maximum saving. The wife can't.

I've learned that it's preferable to hear her complain that we don't have any money, to watching her behave like a depressed animal in captivity because she can't spend any lol.

For others maybe, there's only two things that I'll allow us to buy on credit, house and car, and those are my line in the sand. I've told my wife that we'll eat meals at her mother's before we botch either of those payments.

The wife works for the school board, and has enough seniority to avoid any layoffs. I work at a small business, same place for over 20 years. Even if I don't retire from it, with the minimum wage hike, I can replace the lion's share of my income doing....... well, pretty much anything lol.

Not at all. Cash is becoming less and less convenient to use. I remember the first couple times I rented a car back in the day, I left cash deposits. Last time just before I got married, (had no CC at the time) they wouldn't accept it. Luckily, I needed the rental as the result of an accident, my insurance agent was good friends with my boss, and State Farm has just a little bit of pull with rental agencies. They ended up taking my cash.  

I agree, but unless you develop good habits young enough so that they become automatic, it can sometimes be less stressful to just get to a "decent" credit rating, and avoid using it whenever possible.

I'm not sure you should be telling people all this … but all legitimate responses - you're probably more financially literate than I was coming out of school 

I do think your brother in law was lucky though. I don't know much about Canadian banking laws except that they tend to be more conservative than in the US. I can tell you that the brokerage unit TD Ameritrade will be taken over by Charles Schwab in 2020. 

The part about your wife being a caged animal wanting to go to Disneyland was hilarious - thx for sharing o7

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,571
[WOLFG]
Members
29,506 posts
8,660 battles
9 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

The part about your wife being a caged animal wanting to go to Disneyland was hilarious - thx for sharing o7

 

Lol Disney isn't the reason for the caged animal response, it's because she can't order pizza when she doesn't feel like cooking, or can't go to a craft show. :Smile_teethhappy:

I think she's resigned herself to not going to Disney, (she loves to have big ideas inspired by her work friends, some of whom are actual teachers (they make big bucks up here) with husbands that make the same money or more, and then realise a couple weeks later that they aren't really feasible) but I'm not giving up, I want my daughter to get there.

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,570
[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
20,008 battles
3 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Lol Disney isn't the reason for the caged animal response, it's because she can't order pizza when she doesn't feel like cooking, or can't go to a craft show. :Smile_teethhappy:

I think she's resigned herself to not going to Disney, (she loves to have big ideas inspired by her work friends, some of whom are actual teachers (they make big bucks up here) with husbands that make the same money or more, and then realise a couple weeks later that they aren't really feasible) but I'm not giving up, I want my daughter to get there.

You might want to loosen the leash just a little … before she turns on you :) 

Good Luck o7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×