You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheSteelGeneraI

I tried a Tier 4 game today

76 comments in this topic

Members
40 posts
7,189 battles

Having recently returned after a long hiatus from the game, I was really disappointed at the state of the low tier game.

Not a lot of players at the time I was on (NA server, 1pm EST), after a wait I get a match with 8 ships per side, three of which are CVs.  As a DD all I could do was steam in circles near other ships and press "O".  Some ships had no AA at all.  Once all the non CV ships were dead, the six CVs fought it out.  Things are seriously broken IMHO. 

Why would new players hang around to even see higher tiers?

• Cool 19
  • Boring 2

[WOLF2]
Members
1,636 posts
11,319 battles

Can confirm the MM.   Spent yesterday working up those last few XP in the Hosho to get to the Ryujo (not that I play them often, but it's another T6 bote for a snowflake).

Every match I played had three CVs per side.   Two of them were as described above - three CVs + 5 non-CVs.

At least cut it down to two CVs per side, WG.   Three is over-kill.   One CV per side would be preferable.

• Cool 4

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,299 posts
42 minutes ago, TheSteelGeneraI said:

Having recently returned after a long hiatus from the game, I was really disappointed at the state of the low tier game.

Not a lot of players at the time I was on (NA server, 1pm EST), after a wait I get a match with 8 ships per side, three of which are CVs.  As a DD all I could do was steam in circles near other ships and press "O".  Some ships had no AA at all.  Once all the non CV ships were dead, the six CVs fought it out.  Things are seriously broken IMHO. 

They aren't, that's why the count is so low at those tiers.

[CVA16]
Members
5,446 posts
16,563 battles

Just limit the number of CVs to 1 per side when other ship types are present. No problem clearing the excess in the queue by dumping all the CVs into a single battle with 8+ CVs per side.:Smile_trollface:

Edited by Sabot_100
  • Cool 11
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[WOLF3]
Members
327 posts
9,958 battles

What i do is camp with a cv for aa with whatever I have or charge hard before the cv picks me off.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,695 posts
14,289 battles
42 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Just limit the number of CVs to 1 per side when other ship types are present. No problem clearing the excess in the queue by dumping all the CVs into a single battle with 8+ CVs per side.:Smile_trollface:

How many more queue dumps in tier 4 is acceptable. We are already seeing them with a limit of three. A better solution is to give the tier 3 & 4 enough AA, even though most of these ships never had much, to not be a free kill. I would apply this to any extremely AA limited tier 5 too, cough cough Viribus Unitas.

15 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Or just get a C-hull DFAA Nicholas.

Yeah but that is tier 5 the OP is talking about tier 4. I bring my Texas or October Revolution to troll the tier 4 CV's myself.

@TheSteelGeneraI you will find tier 5 to be much better and the tier 4 CV will struggle against most tier 5's and will flat out get slaughtered against some.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,006 posts
14,540 battles

Best Solution!  REMOVE CVs, a simple and elegant solution!  Stop the madness ...put subs and CVs in their own game mode... its a WIN WG!  ( you will make MORE money from folks like me that just MIGHT buy a premium sub to attack convoys, otherwise forget it.)

• Cool 13
  • Boring 5

[RLGN]
Members
14,523 posts
25,710 battles
11 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Yeah but that is tier 5 the OP is talking about tier 4. I bring my Texas or October Revolution to troll the tier 4 CV's myself.

New York actually seemed to benefit from the CV rework, its close AA is pretty mean.

T4 and down, I’ve always liked Wyoming, though you need to have your WASD on.

A surprise contender against T4 planes is Vampire. And of course Yubari (massed 25mms,) and DFAA, and Katori, (cat fighter.)

Of course Y and K also have AM0, slow botes, but good pewpew.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,242 posts
22,554 battles

WG is grinding up the seed corn: new players in their tier III and IV ships with effectively no AA facing multiple CVs while learning the game and with low skill point captains. 

The solutions are to grind through the horror, quit, or hit the easy button and gorge the queue with more CV's. 

Wargames 1983: "A strange game. The only winning move is not to play". 

Edited by Pugilistic
  • Cool 6
  • Funny 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,651 posts
11,345 battles
1 hour ago, Doombeagle said:

They aren't, that's why the count is so low at those tiers.

Well maybe that’s why so many new player rush up the line ...... Just to get out of those tiers . Maybe that’s the reason so many players are having trouble in tier 8 games .  There  just rushing up the line to get out of low tier games where CV are so prevalent . Then when they get to tier 8 there not really ready . 

• Cool 3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,695 posts
14,289 battles
26 minutes ago, clammboy said:

Well maybe that’s why so many new player rush up the line ...... Just to get out of those tiers . Maybe that’s the reason so many players are having trouble in tier 8 games .  There  just rushing up the line to get out of low tier games where CV are so prevalent . Then when they get to tier 8 there not really ready . 

People rush up the trees because they have the false impression that the top is were the best game play is.

• Cool 2

[GOBI]
Members
1,085 posts
4,464 battles

I think its more a matter of boring ships in the low tiers, to many CVs, and not enough loot. That was my motivation for getting to t5 ASAP.

[CVA16]
Members
5,446 posts
16,563 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

People rush up the trees because they have the false impression that the top is were the best game play is.

There is also the thought that the next ship is better than the one you are driving. Everyone wants the new shiny. No thought to the fact you will be facing even tougher opponents.

• Cool 1

[WOLFD]
Members
3,365 posts
3,902 battles

Well, if anecdotal evidence is all it takes...

Took my Wakatake out last night for a few games, ended up in a game with only 2 DDs per side, but 2 dreaded CVs per side. Oh noes!

I sank one of them while finishing off a wounded BB on the way. Came out with 51k damage. Enemy Phoenix had to hunt me down to finish me off.

Yeah, those T4 CVs are a killer. :cap_old:

Edited by Harathan
  • Cool 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,695 posts
14,289 battles
8 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

There is also the thought that the next ship is better than the one you are driving. Everyone wants the new shiny. No thought to the fact you will be facing even tougher opponents.

The reality is that for all but those that enjoy top tier random play the best play is tier 5 through 7. My tier 8, 9, & 10 ships rarely see random anymore as they are far more enjoyable in co-op.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
2 hours ago, TheSteelGeneraI said:

Nope.

Apparently the Devs are convinced they've done a good job with CVs.  That Tier IV matches need to have the highest number of CVs per team and the most recurrent matches with multiple CVs per team.

Between the blatant Russian favoritism of late, and the cancerous persistence of CVs, this game is by far and away the most broken I've ever seen it.  I earnestly mean that.  Absolutely busted.  It's a joke.

Reinstating my account and reinstalling the game reminds me of reuniting with a bad ex; It didn't take long to be reminded why I decided to break up in the first place.

• Cool 2

[INTEL]
Members
13,283 posts
36,602 battles
43 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The reality is that for all but those that enjoy top tier random play the best play is tier 5 through 7. My tier 8, 9, & 10 ships rarely see random anymore as they are far more enjoyable in co-op.

Lately T9 has been the best tier. Top tier often, and few CVs, and almost always T8 CVs when you see them. T5-8 are flooded with CVs and there are often 2 CV crapfests.

I have stopped playing T8 since there is always Sky Cancer and I get targeted and focused by the Sky Griefer at the end since I rarely die early,  ditto for T6, and at T7 the CV has too much influence on the match and if yours sucks, its a walkover for the reds. Tired of trying to carry CVs...

Those ships are so unfun. Unfortunately the devs are obsessed with them....

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
2,646 posts
4,271 battles

Funny,  we just had the statistics for this and the number of three ((Or six total)) CV games is extremely low.  Either you just had some really bad luck ((Hey,  it happens)) or you did numerous matches until you got into this one and it stuck in your craw.

• Boring 2

[WOLF2]
Members
1,636 posts
11,319 battles
2 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

No problem clearing the excess in the queue by dumping all the CVs into a single battle with 8+ CVs per side.:Smile_trollface:

A billion planes in the sky.  20 minutes of trying to sink other CVs.  That sounds both intriguingly-fun and mind-numbing boring at the same time.   

But I'd give it a try 

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,299 posts
3 minutes ago, Palladia said:

Funny,  we just had the statistics for this and the number of three ((Or six total)) CV games is extremely low.  Either you just had some really bad luck ((Hey,  it happens)) or you did numerous matches until you got into this one and it stuck in your craw.

Which it obviously did. This is the point that spreadsheets and cv fans don't seem to comprehend. More players dislike them than like them, which makes them a bad idea. The guy who has just been rocketed into oblivion does not care that it was supposedly an anomalous incident. All he knows is the experience sucked, and he doesn't care to have it happen again. The only problem is, the only way to keep it from happening again is to go play something else. It's not a problem for that player, but it is becoming one for WG.

• Cool 6
  • Boring 1

[INTEL]
Members
13,283 posts
36,602 battles
9 minutes ago, Palladia said:

No, at T4 it was 15%. Thats one in six. The total of 2 and 3 CV matches at T4 was 60%. It's why I no longer play T4, since I can't take out my favorite ships down there, they have no AA. Thanks, devs!

WG seems determined to remove any fun from the lower tiers. I hope that it reduces new player entry. It's the only way that will ever get changed. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1