You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Battlecruiser_Repulse

About the Santa crates...

57 comments in this topic

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles

This is sort of a PSA... I guess... though I'm not fond of that terminology. 

Simply put, given that one overt mechanic of the Santa crates has changed this year (no doubloons once you cap out on boats), I would seriously recommend that people wait a day or two to buy crates just to make sure that OTHER, hidden mechanics haven't been altered as well. I'm not by any means saying "don't buy crates" - I am certainly going to be picking up a healthy (unhealthy?) number myself. But it strikes me that if one ingredient in the porridge has been changed, there was nothing to stop them from meddling with the others. And... as such... it would likely be wise to fence sit on some results (especially from people who have done this year-to-year) to make sure that the drop rates of ships haven't significantly changed (or that one "level" of crates doesn't feel off compared to the others).

We always get a flood of threads on day one (re: tomorrow) griping that big changes have been made, but, up until this year, I've never personally seen any cause for alarm. But this go around it's likely going to be smart to pay attention in those first 48 hours just to be sure. No sense dropping a hundy (or more) on the medium crates if they're no longer bringing home the bacon.

how-to-make-your-own-bacon-4146515-17-5b

Most of the streamers always buy big packages and then open them in videos - that's what I'm defaulting to. Chances are, this is just stupid, unnecessary caution on my part - it would be incredibly dumb for WG to defeather this golden goose. On the other hand, who knows why they do anything?

Edited by Battlecruiser_PrncsRoyal
  • Cool 1

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
3 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_PrncsRoyal said:

Most of the streamers always buy big packages and then open them in videos

Actually the typically get them for free; some follow the disclosure rules, some do not.

I actually suspect these crates will sell worse this year primarily due to many longer players already having maxed out that list, and more importantly, the Banned premiums. Nikolai's are almost common for players with more than 3 years with the game.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
2 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Actually the typically get them for free; some follow the disclosure rules, some do not.

I actually suspect these crates will sell worse this year primarily due to many longer players already having maxed out that list, and more importantly, the Banned premiums. Nikolai's are almost common for players with more than 3 years with the game.

I can only speak to my own goal, but I'd like to get the Azuma and thereby husband my free XP for whatever next shiny object is dangled in front of us. I know that the community regards her kind of poorly, but the numbers don't seem to bear that out...

[BUOY]
Members
1,052 posts
14,725 battles
2 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

TBF where last Xmas was the season of the 'Cash Grab!,' with Steel Monsters / Steel Prinz / 200 steel premiums, this year's season seems to be the season of 'See Government! We're Not RNGouging!' what with pushing steel flakes from T9-10 to T8-9 and making them a flat 75 regardless and such.

Of course the problem is as people are arguing, before Santa Boxes allowed the whales to roll the dice for a good dubs deal while now they are not interesting at all if you have all the ships.

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
14 minutes ago, lloyd1701 said:

TBF where last Xmas was the season of the 'Cash Grab!,' with Steel Monsters / Steel Prinz / 200 steel premiums, this year's season seems to be the season of 'See Government! We're Not RNGouging!' what with pushing steel flakes from T9-10 to T8-9 and making them a flat 75 regardless and such.

Of course the problem is as people are arguing, before Santa Boxes allowed the whales to roll the dice for a good dubs deal while now they are not interesting at all if you have all the ships.

Well the see the doubloons thing actually speaks to what I am saying, that many players have either maxed, or nearly maxed, out that list. Remember, the compensations only factor in if you have EVERY possible ship on that list, otherwise a ship roll just goes to another ship. So in the last few years, I think there were few that were, walking INTO the season, already having all or nearly all ships, and thus could reap big rewards from Doubloon drops. I do not believe that is true anymore, and the potential volume of players who either have or can rapidly max out their ships from the crates and pile on the doubloons is MUCH higher. Plus, it appears they are giving away FAR more santa crates for free this year, small ones, but still that can further push the number of 'completionists' (hell they are adding a TRACKING feature for just that purpose) and thus having potential large scale free doubloon earnings.

So with that in mind, it makes sense that this years sales will be lower, and they know it, as they changed the rules to compensate for the number of players already with a near to full list.

• Cool 1

[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,437 posts
9,965 battles
41 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_PrncsRoyal said:

I can only speak to my own goal, but I'd like to get the Azuma and thereby husband my free XP for whatever next shiny object is dangled in front of us. I know that the community regards her kind of poorly, but the numbers don't seem to bear that out...

Lol.  You don't want Azuma.  I own Yoshino, and while she can be okay in a few situations her size and fragility severely limits her ability to pull off a Carry.  I really do need to revisit Yoshino but it still holds to this day the *only* ship I have ever touched that suffered a 11 loss streak (no less the first 11 games) before I could win once.

Azuma is not only weaker, but even more fragile.  It can be a decent threat in the right hands but its not "good" either.  

If anything, get Yoshino eventually.  At least her 30mm plating means she can shrug off some hits.

[PIZZA]
-Members-
1,180 posts
26,271 battles

I am one of those 3 year folks that have almost every premium.   Azuma, Yoshino, Lenin and Freisland are what I need along with several of the steel ships which wont be in the crates..   I wont be spending much.....part of the fun with santa crates was getting the doubs for ships I already had, so if we wont be seeing many doubs, there really is no point in buying crates,.....i'll just work on the free ones and hope at least one of the ships I need is in them.  If not no big deal.

I will take a wait and see attitude on what people are saying about the crates.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,801 posts
51 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_PrncsRoyal said:

I have both the Azuma and Yoshino.  From a collectors stand point, I would of course get them both.  From a game play stand point, the Yoshino is a MUCH better ship.

I don't see myself taking the Azuma into a match unless there is a mission that specifically requires it.  Other than that, it's in my port so I can say I have it.  That's about it.

[-K-]
Members
8,389 posts
14,406 battles
7 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

I don't see myself taking the Azuma into a match unless there is a mission that specifically requires it.  Other than that, it's in my port so I can say I have it.  That's about it.

I find this to be the case with most of the "rare" ships in my port.  It's great to know I have them, but most of them rarely see the light of day.

[WOLF6]
Members
171 posts
7,774 battles

I saved around $500 just for this event and now I don't think I'm going to spend anything. They really arent even trying to hide that it's a cash grab anymore. At least previous years, you could fool yourself into believing it was something awesome, but this year, I can't even do that to myself.

• Cool 1

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
16 minutes ago, Ghawain said:

I saved around $500 just for this event and now I don't think I'm going to spend anything. They really arent even trying to hide that it's a cash grab anymore. At least previous years, you could fool yourself into believing it was something awesome, but this year, I can't even do that to myself.

Steam will probably throw on a sale again in a week or so - they typically do one for Thanksgiving and another for Christmas. I cannot recommend some older titles like:

The Long Dark

Napoleon: Total War

Far Cry 4

Frostpunk

Sins of a Solar Empire

... and a few others, highly enough. 

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
10,358 posts
17,632 battles

Yeah that change just lost them my business this Santa season. I was looking forward to replenishing my Doubloon and premium time supply, while getting the 1 ship on the list that I don't have. With that change and the fact that they think 5 really stupid camos, are actually worth something to me in a crate. I can't understand why WG puts so much value on these camos. It would depress to get those crates so I will just forgo the disappointment and and not buy any this year. It's getting easier and easier to not spend money on this game.

• Cool 1

Members
597 posts
7,385 battles
22 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Yeah that change just lost them my business this Santa season. I was looking forward to replenishing my Doubloon and premium time supply, while getting the 1 ship on the list that I don't have. With that change and the fact that they think 5 really stupid camos, are actually worth something to me in a crate. I can't understand why WG puts so much value on these camos. It would depress to get those crates so I will just forgo the disappointment and and not buy any this year. It's getting easier and easier to not spend money on this game.

Hey, they went up from 4 CAMO's in last months crappy crates. Baby Russian steps. Much Vodka to drink in BellaRuskies comrade. :cap_happy:

Edited by Steeler_Nation_USA

[IRNBN]
Members
3,475 posts
10,344 battles
2 hours ago, Battlecruiser_PrncsRoyal said:

This is sort of a PSA... I guess... though I'm not fond of that terminology. 

Simply put, given that one overt mechanic of the Santa crates has changed this year (no doubloons once you cap out on boats), I would seriously recommend that people wait a day or two to buy crates just to make sure that OTHER, hidden mechanics haven't been altered as well. I'm not by any means saying "don't buy crates" - I am certainly going to be picking up a healthy (unhealthy?) number myself. But it strikes me that if one ingredient in the porridge has been changed, there was nothing to stop them from meddling with the others. And... as such... it would likely be wise to fence sit on some results (especially from people who have done this year-to-year) to make sure that the drop rates of ships haven't significantly changed (or that one "level" of crates doesn't feel off compared to the others).

We always get a flood of threads on day one (re: tomorrow) griping that big changes have been made, but, up until this year, I've never personally seen any cause for alarm. But this go around it's likely going to be smart to pay attention in those first 48 hours just to be sure. No sense dropping a hundy (or more) on the medium crates if they're no longer bringing home the bacon.

how-to-make-your-own-bacon-4146515-17-5b

Most of the streamers always buy big packages and then open them in videos - that's what I'm defaulting to. Chances are, this is just stupid, unnecessary caution on my part - it would be incredibly dumb for WG to defeather this golden goose. On the other hand, who knows why they do anything?

Nice bacon! :cap_like:

[TBW]
Members
10,358 posts
17,632 battles
28 minutes ago, Steeler_Nation_USA said:

Hey, they went up from 4 CAMO's in last months crappy crates. Baby Russian steps. Much Vodka to drink in BellaRuskies comrade. 

I am talking about the Santa Mega crates, the small ones still only give 4 camos, worth nothing to me.  Can you imagine opening 10 Mega Santa crates and getting 7 of them that only hold,

5x Mosaic camouflages or

5x Asian Lantern camouflages or

5x Spring Sky camouflages.

Then the other 3 give you,

20x New Year Streamer camouflages or

20x Frosty Fir Tree camouflages.

That would probably ruin the day, so I won't even try.

They don't have the prices up yet, that I have seen, I will bet that the Mega boxes are $5-$10 each or more though. Please Santa, just put some coal in my stocking, that is hung by the chimney with care, instead.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[BB35]
Members
105 posts
19,582 battles

This is a real bummer of a change.  This is WG's best chance to get money out of me each year, I'm only missing 13 ships from the list and if the drop rate is decent I'll get crates to get those.  But they've killed any chance of me doing more than that unlike last year. 

[BB35]
Members
105 posts
19,582 battles
2 minutes ago, column5 said:

I feel worst for the poor kids who get a ship drop but then its Marblehead Lima.

Never, ever, ever sell off [edited] low tier Premiums that have dropped from crates.  I've kind of lost sympathy for people who complain about getting their 5th Krispy Kreme because they keep selling it off. 

Edited by cheapinkc

[NFFS]
Members
197 posts
7,039 battles
5 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

They don't have the prices up yet, that I have seen, I will bet that the Mega boxes are $10 each or more though. Please Santa, just put some coal in my stocking, that is hung by the chimney with care instead

Usually they run $1, $3, and $5.  I would wager against your $10. 

I found it interesting that Coal does not double between the Big and Mega boxes.  My <poor> math shows that coal stays proportionally the same between the two.  So if you got all coal in the Big boxes you would get the same amount in the Mega boxes.

Wait and see.

• Cool 1

[IRNBN]
Members
3,475 posts
10,344 battles
3 minutes ago, column5 said:

I feel worst for the poor kids who get a ship drop but then its Marblehead Lima.

1 minute ago, cheapinkc said:

Never, ever, ever sell off [edited] low tier Premiums that have dropped from crates.  I've kind of lost sympathy for people who complain about getting their 5th Krispy Kreme because they keep selling it off. 

Yep yup.

I've got a couple dozen slots just oozing with Krispy Kreme-, Roma-, Marblehead-, Aigle-style slimy goodness.

[FEM]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
2,256 posts
16,326 battles

One thing to consider, while yes, we are not offering doubloons for duplicates, we are also preventing the option of getting duplicates in majority of cases.

Say from the 86 premiums available, I have 76 of these, if I pull a ship container, I will receive one of the 10 ships I do not have, instead of doubloons for a duplicate.

The mechanics of these containers clearly indicate this. 

Naturally, we encourage you to spend sensibly when picking up your holiday containers.

Fem, 

• Cool 4
  • Confused 1

[H_]
Members
748 posts
11,818 battles

I usually buy them for the other guys in my Clan as presents.. probably will again this year.. Or i might go with Premium time, depending on how much it is.  I have quite a few of the ships that can drop. There are a few i'd like but it's a crap shoot what you will get.  i'm sure i'll end up buying some no matter what, yeah i know glutton for punishment.  :Smile_coin:

[TBW]
Members
10,358 posts
17,632 battles
19 minutes ago, Femennenly said:

Say from the 86 premiums available, I have 76 of these, if I pull a ship container, I will receive one of the 10 ships I do not have, instead of doubloons for a duplicate.

No duplicates, and last year was the same, but you got the value of the ship in doubloons, that you gambled for and won, now you get a fixed rate, that has a better chance of being less than the value of the ship you just won. It just seems like the value of the Santa boxes has declined. If I spent real cash on a mega gift crate and got 5 Mosaic camos it would really depress or anger me, for being such a fool in the first place.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 3