You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Aephx

Casual players at T8+

78 comments in this topic

[D-PN]
Members
80 posts
3,593 battles

So, I am not a very competitive player. I just play the game for enjoyment. But I have been playing long enough now that even on a casual level, I have a few ships at Tier VIII and above. Though I tend to continue to play at around Tiers VI and VII mostly, sometimes I do enjoy my 'bigger' ships. However, I have had a few rude players comment about how I'm not good enough to be playing at tier 8, or that I don't know how to play at such a tier. (Personally, I found it very rude and pretty ballsy to message someone just to call them crap because they didn't play at a competitive level, especially when there are competitive ways to play, but I suppose that's just how it is these days).
I try to read up on how to play, skill builds and tactics and everything. I've only ever been Pink less then half a dozen times, and maybe only 2 of them I felt I was completely at fault, back when I first started learning to play. I feel like I usually play quite well. I get good scores, cap points, help defend points, I even still help guard CVs from time to time. Sure I have bad rounds like anyone else, I get caught in a bad spot or make a wrong turn somewhere, etc etc, but I've never felt like I was a bad player, and besides the two or three random jerks who feel the need to call me out, no one ever seems to complain about my play. (I have had a few nice people message me asking if I wanted some tips or suggestions, to which I accept and take in!)

My question I am asking is, do I need to be more competitive when playing higher tiers (in randoms)? If I only play casually, should I just avoid Tier VIII and above? I've been assuming that any random battle is more casual, since there are ranked and competitive modes for that kinda stuff.
I enjoy playing, but I don't want to be pissing people off. And I guess I let the last a**hat who sent a message kinda get to me. I really want to get some Tier Xs in my collection, but I don't want to keep playing if people are just going to be so critical and criticize everything I do, especially if I have a bad round. It really takes away the enjoyment of the game when people do that.
I should also add that I have been finding myself putting more attention to my skills in game as I get higher in the tiers.

So, avoid T8+? Or am I doing fine and just need to ignore the jerks in-game?

Thank you for your responses!

Edited by Aephx
  • Cool 8
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 1

[_RNG_]
Members
787 posts
8,536 battles

Short answer: F##k all those people. This is a game. Play it and enjoy it and screw any elitists who somehow think they have the right to boss other people around. It's a video game for crying out loud.

5 hours ago, Aephx said:

very rude and pretty ballsy egotistical/pathetic/counterproductive/shameful to message someone just to call them crap

Fixed it for you (at least in my opinion) -- there's nothing courageous about being a jerk to newer players.

Edited by Jester_of_War
  • Cool 15
  • Confused 1

[TARK]
Members
7,047 posts
2,639 battles

Looks like jerks are running Matchmaker Monitor...your over all stats look awful, but you have good recent stats in battleships...

So you are probably now getting good enough to be average...but these guys see all your past poor play in those 'red' numbers and think you are the problem.

IMO, ignore all the jerks. If people want to help you out...listen. Like me, you still have much to learn.

But a lot of people take the game WAY too seriously. You dont need to bow to their immature whims.

• Cool 2

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,847 posts

Play whatever tier you want.  Don't pay attention to other players telling you what you can and can't do.  They don't get to decide what you do with your time.

• Cool 2

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,968 posts
15,037 battles

You need be more competitive to play high tiers? No.

BUT, if you are really bad people going be mad "why you get to high tiers and still not learn the basic mechanics?"

• Cool 2

[BNKR]
Members
1,635 posts
2,622 battles

If those guys want competitive play, they can use ranked and clan battles and KOTS and whatever other modes there are that specifically cater to competitive play. Ignore them and do your thing. Play whatever tier and ship you like, and anyone who has an issue with it can pound sand. This is a video game; it's the least important thing any of us will do in a day. If people are sending you abusive messages in port, you can screenshot and send it to Wargaming via customer support ticket. They do take action. I reported a particularly troubling chat and the guy came here later to complain about his chat ban. 

I play casually too, and probably stink up the place half the time. But I'll be damned if some neckbeard in his mom's basement is going to dictate how I enjoy the game.

• Cool 1

Members
156 posts
2,940 battles

Ultimately, you do you, but my recommendation is to improve on your skills before going into T8+ for several reasons.

1. Skill. T8 matchmaking is where there is a notable jump in skill floor. Ships are deadlier, but they also get better consumables, concealment modules, and players generally have pretty well-built captains. If you can't perform well at lower tiers, it will be a struggle to adapt to radar, the island hugging, bow tanking etc that goes on more often at higher tiers.

2. Economic reasons. Higher tiers simply cost more, so if you're having more bad games than not, then you'll be paying a sizable fee each time you go back to port.

3. Courtesy. If you're getting a lot of complaints from teammates about your performance, they're probably right. Not meaning to stat shame or anything, but if you're enjoyment comes at the cost of others, I'd reconsider your choices. With so many people in T8+ that don't really know how to play (you WR, Dmg, etc. tell me you struggle to do well overall, again not to be mean but to point out an observation), it realky makes my day to have just a couple reliable teammates.

4. Personal enjoyment. I'm sure you had one of those really good games every now and then. Now imagine doing that more often than not. In general, being more skilled is simply more fun. Look at CC content, ask around the forms. WoWs is a game, but it's also a learning experience.

Again, not badmouthing you, but the truth is your performamce is pretty subpar. It'll benefit both you and your teammates to go back to lower tiers to take the time to learn more on how to get better. I say to do this at low tiers because it's more forgiving. Again, ultimately you can only decide for yourself.

• Cool 6
  • Boring 3

[H_]
Members
748 posts
11,827 battles

My thoughts, play where you want.  It's a game, if you want to play T8 and above feel free.   My brother got called a "[edited]" in a game the other day, and honestly neither he nor i actually understood what he was doing that warranted that comment.  I've been called names, told to Un-install etc. etc.. 

You will never please everyone who plays this game -  and you will run into players that "think" they are god's gift to WOW's..  Try your best, do what you can to improve your play, as long as it's what YOU want to do and go forth and have fun. And try not to let those kind of players get to you.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,816 posts
14,813 battles
17 minutes ago, Aephx said:

You'll never get better at T8+ if you don't play it. The jerks can go stick a burning Izumo sideways where the sun don't shine. They were newbies to high tier too, once, and some of them need to be reminded of that.

I'm pretty sure some of them only want "good" players in the game so that they themselves can be carried to a win.

• Cool 4

[WOLF2]
Members
1,636 posts
11,319 battles

It's a game.   Not a job, not a career, not a financial decision, and certainly not any action that would impact your life or the lives around you.

It's for your enjoyment.    Outside of yourself, and a few other players that would chat to you, the stats mean nothing.    If you use them to measure yourself and your game play, that's perfectly fine.   But they mean nothing outside of the game (and for the most part, inside of the game).

So, since this isn't an ePeen measuring event, but rather a game, you should play it in a manner that means something to you.   If you like fun, play it for fun.  If you like casual, play it casual.  If it's deadly serious, then play it that way.   Each and every way is valid.... and moot...

There will ALWAYS be players that have better stats.   And there will ALWAYS be players that have worse stats.    We all fit somewhere in the middle.   Enjoy your game, and don't worry about what others think about the stats.

Edited by DiddleDum
  • Cool 3

Members
357 posts

Tell them they can take their mods and attitude, turn them parallel to the horizion outside their moms basement window, then shove it up their rear until it hits their tongue.

Personally I'll take casuals over "competitive" aka try-hard players anyday.

"Competitive" players are the type who only know one way to play no matter the situation and spend 3/4 the match cowering behind islands or at the back of the map, all the while yelling at everyone else to move up - no doubt wanting the "scrubs" to be bait & meatshields to coax the other side into shooting without exposing themselves to danger. Yet if the match is lost they blame everyone else while on wins they act as if they did all the work instead of sitting back padding their damage/ xp.

"Casuals" might make more mistakes, but they also are more inclined to actual cooperation and sharing risks instead of worrying solely about their ego.

Edited by DemonicTreerat
  • Cool 2

[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,464 posts
10,012 battles

As with any video game, there will be plenty who do play at the "endgame" and expect a certain degree of competence.

I'm sorry to say, but one of the people OP mentioned I am one of those people to a degree.  Actually-- I'm not sorry and if i'm a jerk for it, so be it.  Ultimately, when someone plays at what is considered "the end" to progression, you expect someone to have basics down to at the very least, not have a *negative* impact to those around you.  

But i'm already hearing it now:  The angry clicking of keyboards of "you elitst prick" being thrown my way, and really?  I don't care.  When someone says "playing just for fun" sure, that doesn't mean you're some tryhard competitive player and I don't expect you to carry the day by any means.  HOWEVER... Playing "just for fun" doesn't give you a pass to literally just suck to high heaven either.  Casual play =/= Bad play.  Casual just means you don't take it very seriously.  There are plenty of players out there that aren't mega competitive but I still play with, because they at least try and do fine.

In the end, if "casual" to you as a player means you don't have to try, then I won't see eye to eye with you.  If you play for fun, wouldn't you want to at least be okay at something you do for leisure?  

High tier carries the idea as it being towards the end of game progression that you have your ABCs down.  Do you think I expect players at Tier 4 for example to suddenly understand how to make plays around crossfires or flanking?  Nope.  That's because its early in the game, therefore you'll still be learning.  Like any game, even semi-motivated players who have made it to the end expect things.  Any game's community does to a degree, and if you're still trying to figure out what AP and HE is good for for example... that's like stepping into culinary school and asking what a fork and knife are for on the table.

It is what it is.  And at T10 where mistakes quickly landslide into huge advantages one way or the other fast, its no wonder why people get mad.  Casual, Semi-serious, Very Serious at any game or thing you do... I'll ask as something in general:  Do you think it isn't at least *slightly* annoying or frustrating your success can be heavily hampered just because someone next to you refuses to learn?

World of warships isn't an easy game, and i'm not the best player and do not fall into the "Very serious" category.  But I at least would like the idea that the team I'm placed on is competent enough to be a danger to the enemy, not to themselves.

• Cool 5
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 4

[WOLFG]
Members
29,743 posts
8,770 battles

Just ignore them.

But, even though you're a casual player, you do need to realise that high tier matches play out differently than mid tier, and play accordingly.

The basic difference as far as casual play is, mistakes get punished more often and more severely in high tiers. So maybe until you get used to it, let other ships take the lead, and back them up.

Note that doesn't really apply if your T8 is top tier. You should have no issues playing as you regularly would in that case.

[WOLFG]
Members
126 posts
18,905 battles
8 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The jerks can go stick a burning Izumo sideways where the sun don't shine. 

Wow. That’s a visual. At least it isn’t a Yamato...that’d be over the top.

To the OP: IMHO just brush it off and keep trying. Half the fun in this game for me is finding ships that you eventually click with and then riding those to help with the wins. Do your best, enjoy the journey and forget the haters.

Good Luck.

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
2,222 posts
6,295 battles
27 minutes ago, Aephx said:

This game is played by many people with many different attitudes.  One of those attitudes is that everyone should try to play to the best of their abilities and  to know the basics of play.  The other is to just have fun and play however you like.     These two attitudes are in constant conflict and both exist on a curve. What I mean with that is yes some people will be jerks about you not doing well enough. Others will be jerks about being able to play however they feel like it and yell at everyone and the world.  

In the end there simply are jerks and you should ignore them and play how you want. However poor perfomance does exist and some people will be upset by that.  Its your call how you want to proceed.  As  far as your stats go your best tier is tier 6.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,816 posts
14,813 battles
1 minute ago, xyt272 said:

Wow. That’s a visual.

I deliberately chose it for the combination of its size, its ugliness, and the disdain in which it is held by veterans of the game.

The IRL Yamato and Musashi had honourable careers, and their crews fought courageous final battles; they don't deserve to be shoved up the rear ends of worthless trolls, but the Izumo is a fiction and warrants no such regard.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

[DVYJC]
Members
3,289 posts
7,211 battles

Honestly, the only way to learn to play PvP at Tier VIII+ is to do it. It's different from any other game mode or PvP at Tier VII and below. Even learning Ranked at Tier VIII+ is different from Random Tier VIII+ PvP. So don't sweat it. But play a while at Tier VII so you can start experiencing radar. That makes a big difference.

[BUOY]
Members
1,073 posts
14,794 battles

I'd suggest making your stats private so the stat shamers (who will pop up at any tier, but are more prevalent at T8+) can only guess at your stats rather than saying 'Oh, your PR on this rating site is red!'

And even though you're a casual player, you should try and reflect after bad matches as to why it went bad, did you charge in and die early? Maybe try and hang back for the next couple matches and so on. Relatively simple changes to gameplay can make a big difference and give you more good games where you'll feel you 'did your part' or even carried... and that's  a good feeling.

Edited by lloyd1701

[WOLFC]
Members
2,921 posts
16,794 battles

Buy a Smolensk, go mine salt and have fun.  :Smile_teethhappy:  But do keep trying to improve your skills, it will make the game more enjoyable ... for YOU.

[PHD]
Members
1,564 posts
6,721 battles

Another contribution to anger may be partly because of WG's event grind. To get your missions done you may have to play longer than is good for you, or your gameplay, have to get wins, and/or certain ribbons, like a capture. 

This can get frustrating. 

And if some criticize, consider the source. If the criticism is constructive, maybe think about it. But if (an example from my co-op play) they or blaming you for not stopping two BB's from attacking them and you are in a DD with it's torps on cooldown and poor guns, well they might not be as good as they think they are. 

[DNTZ]
Members
419 posts
21,380 battles
10 minutes ago, lloyd1701 said:

I'd suggest making your stats private so the stat shamers (who will pop up at any tier, but are more prevalent at T8+) can only guess at your stats rather than saying 'Oh, your PR on this rating site is red!'

And even though you're a casual player, you should try and reflect after bad matches as to why it went bad, did you charge in and die early? Maybe try and hang back for the next couple matches and so on. 

You do realize that 99% of the people who hide their stats are terrible players, so those running the tools and paying attention to other player's stats are just gonna assume the player sucks.  There is the odd case where a unicum may hide their stats, so they don't get focused down...but more often than not the terrible players are hiding their stats.

I don't run the tools or look at what others do and am far from great (my stats say I am an average player), but I am just offering an opinion why hiding stats isn't necessarily gonna save someone from being called out.

• Boring 3

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,206 posts
11,489 battles
52 minutes ago, Aephx said:

Hard to learn how to succeed in T8+ by avoiding it. Ignore these players and avoid adding to their salt.

try not to close the chat window because it removes you from the opportunity to gain timely information, and will only make your play worse. Look for players that offer constructive feedback. 

Some sprinkle of salt makes things tasty, but some players poor it on. I have noted that some of the saltier players are the ones at the bottom of the team in the post summary reports. so, there is a bit of ego compensation.... so ignore them when the salt is heavy.   

Also, if it gets supper offensive, take screen shots and submit a ticket. this works. 

[CNO]
Members
5,979 posts
18,166 battles

I looked at your stats, and I think it's an experience thing.  You are a very good mid tier player, in several ships.  So you're doing something right.  Not too good at T8+..but again...that's an experience thing.  

Should you play T8+....ABSOLUTELY!  How else are you going to LEARN.  That said, even in casual play, always ask yourself....what did you do wrong...what did you do right.  What could you have done better.  Rinse and repeat, and before long, you'll be playing T8+ like the mid tiers.

At only about 1300 random games, you're still on the learning climb from a tier standpoint.  The fact you do well mid tier suggests you'll eventually do well T8+.

As for the haters.  If they just yell and scream....mute them.  If they request a particular in-game action or say something about your play....add that to your list of things to evaluate post game.  If they had a good recommendation....learn from it.  If they didn't know what they were talking about (many comments, even from good players, don't always come from a position of tactical understanding), ignore it.

Most of all...HAVE FUN.  As long as learning is part of that fun, you'll be fine.  

• Cool 2

[EQRN]
Members
2,064 posts
17,948 battles

First off, yes my poop stinks.  That being said, when you see something that is objectively stupid and that person says “I’m just having fun”, there’s going to be salt.  Because when your idea of fun is ruining 11 other people’s fun that’s not cool, especially when it includes running to the forums looking for sympathy.  Not saying that’s the OP’s case, just saying we’ve all run into those players, let’s not pretend every one of them is deserving of pity.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Members
566 posts
255 battles

nah everyone is terrible in randoms, you'll fit right in. i don't mind casual players in high tier randoms cause i yolo and die and get out of there in 5 minutes and don't have to watch the crap show

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1