You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Madwolf05

Italian Cruiser Guides?

27 comments in this topic

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,170 posts
4,063 battles

Just came back!

Having trouble finding a guide to the Italian Cruisers. Can anyone point me in the right direction and give me the captain builds for them?

[-K-]
Members
8,391 posts
14,418 battles
6 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

Just came back!

Having trouble finding a guide to the Italian Cruisers. Can anyone point me in the right direction and give me the captain builds for them?

@Madwolf05, are you starting from low tiers, or are you already up the line somewhat?

Members
2,439 posts
5,397 battles

What ship? I have only played the T8 and T10.

I usually like to follow DDs at beginning of match (a ways back due to CE being poor) and helping the initial DD fights.

German BBs, but mainly Soviet BBs are tough nuts to crack at high tiers (even with 15 203s shooting at them). I like to pick on soft BB targets, French BBs are the best due to their low armor. Followed by U.K. BBs (thunderer and Conqs are damage farmers too)

I run double rudder shift on my T10 with RPF and makes her very nimble to dodge shots and medium to long range.

If you don’t have the special commander you need to get him ASAP, his EL skill helps you out greatly from switching to SAP from AP or vis versa.

rule of thumb: BBs (aim for superstructure) 

All others use SAP unless broadside, then switch to AP.

Members
2,439 posts
5,397 battles
6 minutes ago, moretti6 said:

From -BN- Discord, some of us use this , work better with special commander.

shot-19.11.29_21.28.27-0874.jpg?width=76shot-19.11.29_21.28.45-0147.jpg

I would try double rudder shift and get rid of CE for modular. Use it for capt skills.

Venezia has great handling (almost dd like) and using double rudder shift makes her a very nimble ship.

I would get RPF also. SAP is a DD killer and knowing Where they are makes all the difference

Edited by Legio_X_

[SYN]
Members
15,866 posts
12,803 battles

Skip T1~5, they are utterly trash and not worth playing. Very similar to how RNCL struggles at these tiers.

I've only played up to T5, but I know it gets good at T9 and T10.

Edited by MrDeaf

[--K--]
Members
5,375 posts
17,495 battles

If a line of ships only gets good at the T9 and T10, than that line of ships is garbage...

Change my mind.png 

[DVYJC]
Members
3,211 posts
7,120 battles
36 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

If a line of ships only gets good at the T9 and T10, than that line of ships is garbage...

Change my mind.png 

Agreed, but I honestly think Trento is usable and Zara and Amalfi are situationally good and are fun to play. Exceptionally comfortable gunnery and good maneuverability, and they don't quite seem to get instantly deleted like Genova, Raimondo Montecuccoli and Trento do.

[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,441 posts
9,977 battles
50 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

Change my mind.png 

Really, at 9?  I haven't fought a single Brindisi that ever made me fear her existence, and Flamu's commentary didn't exactly flatter her either.  Venezia is decent, but the rest?  Ehhhhh.... very, very questionable.

[--K--]
Members
5,375 posts
17,495 battles
2 minutes ago, CaliburxZero said:

Really, at 9?  I haven't fought a single Brindisi that ever made me fear her existence, and Flamu's commentary didn't exactly flatter her either.  Venezia is decent, but the rest?  Ehhhhh.... very, very questionable.

I was being generous in my comment. I haven't seen many Italian cruisers in my matches lately and even fewer contribute in any meaningful way to the battle. Most either sit at max range being useless or die from a sudden and violent contact with the enemy, usually in the form of large caliber AP. WG did such a good job off giving the Italian cruiser their own special Niche game play that the ships are next to useless in all but very few situations. The Italian cruisers are like taking a rain coat into the desert during the driest part of the year, yeah if it rains it will be nice to have but it hardly ever rains. Frankly you should have brought an umbrella to at least keep the sun off you. 

[--K--]
[--K--]
2,441 posts
9,977 battles
1 minute ago, RedSeaBear said:

I was being generous in my comment. I haven't seen many Italian cruisers in my matches lately and even fewer contribute in any meaningful way to the battle. Most either sit at max range being useless or die from a sudden and violent contact with the enemy, usually in the form of large caliber AP. WG did such a good job off giving the Italian cruiser their own special Niche game play that the ships are next to useless in all but very few situations. The Italian cruisers are like taking a rain coat into the desert during the driest part of the year, yeah if it rains it will be nice to have but it hardly ever rains. Frankly you should have brought an umbrella to at least keep the sun off you. 

That was my thoughts as well for the line.  A nice buddy of mine bought me a few boxes for the early access portion since I got jipped during my birthday in October, and it gave me Zara which I found to be very, very mediocre.

The only way these ships seem to carry any heavy influence is by making aggressive plays using their smoke being near allied DDs to snipe out their DDs.  I haven't found any other ways to make them have a heavy impact.

Still think they need buffs, but I doubt they'll come.  They're good-looking ships at least, lol...

Its also worth a note that T8+ it feels like to me the ships were balanced around the idea you had the legendary captain.  That alone kind of irks me for future players who missed out on him for the line.

Members
2,439 posts
5,397 battles

Some of you guys need to know how to play them. The longer the game goes the better they get. You have to know what targets to prioritize first.

[CVA16]
Members
5,436 posts
16,488 battles
13 minutes ago, CaliburxZero said:

Its also worth a note that T8+ it feels like to me the ships were balanced around the idea you had the legendary captain.  That alone kind of irks me for future players who missed out on him for the line.

And if you have him, only one ship gets to keep him so most of the line (assuming you keep them) just has standard captains.

[--K--]
[--K--]
2,441 posts
9,977 battles
2 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

And if you have him, only one ship gets to keep him so most of the line (assuming you keep them) just has standard captains.

Yep.  Yet another good point.  I feel like it was a low-key marketing tactic to get people to buy their lootboxes more.  

Dirty, to say the least.

Members
2,439 posts
5,397 battles
17 minutes ago, CaliburxZero said:

Yep.  Yet another good point.  I feel like it was a low-key marketing tactic to get people to buy their lootboxes more.  

Dirty, to say the least.

Got the special capt and didn’t spend 1 cent on boxes.

[CIA]
Beta Testers
33 posts
4,122 battles
3 hours ago, Madwolf05 said:

Just came back!

Flamu does a great job for the tier 8, 9, and 10 on his Youtube channel

[--K--]
[--K--]
2,441 posts
9,977 battles
1 hour ago, Legio_X_ said:

Got the special capt and didn’t spend 1 cent on boxes.

I didn't either.  But I never meant it was targeted at you or I-- Things like that were meant to go after two kinds of people:

1.  People with jobs that have enough hours that dictate they can't play alot but still want to enjoy themselves

2.  People who need it now now now, aka the impulse buyers.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,170 posts
4,063 battles

Is the special captain still available? 

[BOATC]
Members
385 posts
11,789 battles
8 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

Ya, if you drop doubloons on the boxes.

[WOLFG]
Members
9,928 posts
8,984 battles
7 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

You could get him by getting crates, which you got for completing missions in this patch, which is ending.

You have two choices.

Spend a lot of doubloons on crates

Crates will be available for coal in the future.

Beta Testers
816 posts
13,523 battles

I'm on the Brindisi at the moment. Found the line came alive at the Amalfi, T8. Once I got the Amalfi I find they work pretty well if you play fairly aggressively, no need to sit back at range. They don't have that great a range anyway.

Support your DD's as they move up, smacking enemy DD's when they are spotted. Your smoke, while short duration, helps to break contact and reposition. Careful when you fire in smoke as you still have a fairly high detect range when you fire.

Torps are sea mines but do reload fairly fast. Just shoot them where you think the enemy might be, area denial. Careful of team mates as they do have reasonable range if slow.

Beta Testers
2,855 posts
9,043 battles

I've considered making one, but I'm quite busy at the moment. My advice would be to not skip any of the ships until you got the hang of them. They're all very good for their tier and force you to learn the mechanics of the line as you move up. Unlike many other cruiser lines, they improve linearly with marginal increases in armour and guns so there's none that feel weak. One that does feel out of place is the Montecuccolli, since it's a light cruiser in an era where 203mm cruisers exist. Personally I like it, but some don't.

[-TNT-]
Members
417 posts
15,574 battles

Worst grind in game ..... They are not fun to play .. Can't take a hit, no heal ,,, no range. Reload is a joke . They are very painful to play . But the tier 10 is very good so stuck in this painful FN grind thx Wargaming

• Boring 1

[-TNT-]
Members
417 posts
15,574 battles

I earned the paint on the tier 8 ..and i hate this boat so much . I'm planning on Deleting it . Yea says it all . The Torp's are the best thing about the ITL CA's . Tell you get to the tier10