Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hulks

stray torp brings ban?

28 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

65
[ROCT]
Members
34 posts

So I shoot off some fish and a teammate sails into it at 10km, clearly saw it coming but I get banned to co op, how is this fair?

 

I hate team killers too but I am not guilty. this is a blunt instrument (auto ban)

 

WoW you are not making friends here.

  • Boring 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32,961
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,402 posts
19,283 battles
6 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

It's not stray torps; when you fire them you own them.

This.

There's already more than enough to worry about with just the red team trying to kill you without having to worry about 'friendly' torps from people like OP from behind.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,554
[KSE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,732 posts
17,566 battles

Your team mate shouldn't have to avoid BOTH your torps and the enemies - it's often difficult enough to maneuver defensively to avoid enemy fire.  A key use of torps by good players is to force the enemy to turn broadside to a team mate to evade his torps.  The broadside showed allows a quick devstrike or heavy damage to be given to a ship EVEN if he evades the torps.  Perhaps the player intentionally took the torps because either  he had enough health or realized that the game was already won or lost and it wouldn't matter if he died.  I see no problem either way, you are responsible for what your torps hit, not him.

No one gets banned to co-op for turning pink, that's the users choice to play off the penalty there.  If you turned orange from repeated team damage and actually were forced to go to co-op, I hope it's for 20 games or more.  

Turning this back onto WG shows a lack of responsibility on your part, own your mistakes, the rules are the rules and clearly stated - perfect or not.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
65
[ROCT]
Members
34 posts

Sure but in good faith I fired at the enemy and hit the enemy but a couple kept going, 12km range so then I see a team mate at around 10km mark stop and then he gets hit. This is an accident plain and simple. My point is you are banning me for someone else's lack of awareness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
360
[WOLF4]
[WOLF4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
839 posts
12,834 battles

If you actually turned orange and got banned to co-op then the real problem is looking at you in the mirror and not the person that "hit" your torps.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
237
[55UP]
Members
406 posts
2,972 battles
4 minutes ago, Hulks said:

Sure but in good faith I fired at the enemy and hit the enemy but a couple kept going, 12km range so then I see a team mate at around 10km mark stop and then he gets hit. This is an accident plain and simple. My point is you are banning me for someone else's lack of awareness.

No, that’s for your lack of awareness. I was once dumped from a game because I accidentally sank two of my teammates with a single spread of torps. Now I’m better about checking my firing lines. Experience is an excellent teacher; learn from it. 

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
65
[ROCT]
Members
34 posts

You guys are speculating, I play DD tier x all the time and do not ordinarily sink my team mates, in fact I warn and communicate my intentions. Nevertheless sometimes some poor sod is so focused on his target that he ignores this. When I launched my torps this players was not on the scene. By the time the torps were long gone, he runs out into the open and stops, sees the torps and then goes but its too late.

 

Again WG is penalizing players for team kill but it wasn't careless nor intentional. I realise some hate DDs, we can kill you very effectively but we are part of the game and when I play other ships I watch out for torps. It's part of situational awareness.

  • Boring 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
65
[ROCT]
Members
34 posts
3 minutes ago, _GreyBeard_ said:

If you actually turned orange and got banned to co-op then the real problem is looking at you in the mirror and not the person that "hit" your torps.

No because it someone sails into you, then you are also tagged as attacking the enemy - blunt instrument.

There are plenty of careless and team killer players, I am not one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32,961
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,402 posts
19,283 battles

We're not making any assumptions. You've made it absolutely clear in your OP that you do not believe you should be held accountable for what your torps hit.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
379
[BUOY]
Members
1,052 posts
14,732 battles

OP, you only turn orange for multiple infractions in quick succession. Work the penalty off and remember to look at your minimap and don't fire torps from the second line no matter how juicy you think that spread is going to be / how bad you think your teammate would have to be to catch those torps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
73
[F4E]
Members
290 posts
7,445 battles

There are circumstances where the launching player was not necessarily negligent, but in the vast majority of “friendly fire” cases that isn’t true.

The current rule is simplistic and somewhat arbitrary, but it is probably the only approach that is workable.  Just play off the two-match pink status and move on...

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32,961
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,402 posts
19,283 battles
3 minutes ago, lloyd1701 said:

how bad you think your teammate would have to be to catch those torps.

... Because they will inevitably prove you right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
290
[SACH]
[SACH]
Members
1,001 posts

Remember kids!!!! Once the torps leave the tubes, they are no longer your friends.not yours or anyone's infact.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,894
[USCC2]
Members
6,095 posts

OP, your torps are your responsibility, you won't get another viewpoint here - as the statement is true.

Now, can you make a mistake? Of course, unfortunately blue on blue sometimes occurs. I'll even give you the benefit that the scenario is one where a player realizes he's done nothing but fire from the back and in a bid to get something from the game goes rushing into the killzone.

But in the end, even if an idiot decides to enter a killzone and expects everyone else to hold their fire because Captain Numpty has decided to walk onto an active firing range - then you hold your fire or take the punishment. :Smile_honoring:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
483
[MEIST]
Members
1,505 posts
5,746 battles
1 hour ago, Hulks said:

No because it someone sails into you, then you are also tagged as attacking the enemy - blunt instrument.

There are plenty of careless and team killer players, I am not one.

You are one. 100% your fault!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,311
[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,521 battles
1 hour ago, Hulks said:

Again WG is penalizing players for team kill but it wasn't careless nor intentional. I realise some hate DDs, we can kill you very effectively but we are part of the game and when I play other ships I watch out for torps. It's part of situational awareness.

You are not being penalized. You are first given an unsporting conduct warning, turned pink for a few battles in hopes you will correct your errors. Your ship suffers no reduction in combat effectiveness. 

While working off the pink warning battles you persist in your errant behavior the warning battles required to lose the pink increases and damage to allies will begin to be reflected to your ship and you will eventually be turned orange and restricted to co op for even more battles. 

While orange damage done to allies will be reflected to your ship, the battles required to return to normal status increases until you mend your errant ways or your account is suspended or deleted. Also if your account is just suspended you will still have to work off the orange status to pink and then to normal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
414
[POP]
Members
1,294 posts
10,144 battles

Sorry mate, but as a fellow TX destroyer specialist, if you fire torps any time that a team mate could even potentially be in the line of fire... it's on you. POTENTIALLY. Not positively. 

Yesterday, my team lost a game because I couldn't fire torps. One of my team mates (BB) charged three enemy BBs. I could have likely suck 1-2 and seriously damaged all 3. But I couldn't shoot because my teammate was too close. I was spotted a minute alter and sunk. 

When you shoot, you have to make sure that no one could even get close. Warnings don't work in randoms. Maybe in clan battles you could do it. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,592
[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,078 posts
20,952 battles
2 hours ago, Hulks said:

Sure but in good faith I fired at the enemy and hit the enemy but a couple kept going, 12km range so then I see a team mate at around 10km mark stop and then he gets hit. This is an accident plain and simple. My point is you are banning me for someone else's lack of awareness.

If you are banned to coop only. Then you did this more than 5 times.

So not an isolated incident....

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
237
[55UP]
Members
406 posts
2,972 battles

Then there’s the one time in 1943 when USS William D. Porter almost torpedoed the USS Iowa while the president was onboard. 
 

 

Edited by FineousFingers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47
[-RTS-]
Beta Testers
226 posts
8,486 battles
3 hours ago, Hulks said:

You guys are speculating, I play DD tier x all the time and do not ordinarily sink my team mates, in fact I warn and communicate my intentions. Nevertheless sometimes some poor sod is so focused on his target that he ignores this. When I launched my torps this players was not on the scene. By the time the torps were long gone, he runs out into the open and stops, sees the torps and then goes but its too late.

 

Again WG is penalizing players for team kill but it wasn't careless nor intentional. I realise some hate DDs, we can kill you very effectively but we are part of the game and when I play other ships I watch out for torps. It's part of situational awareness.

situation awareness is used against enemy, not friendly.

Let me explain this mathematically. If the battle protocol is " You should watch friendly fire and avoid them", then every one need to additionally watch every friendly player for gun fire, torp, and perhaps ramming. As we have no idea when our friendly player would fire the guns or send the torp, you need to watch EVERY FRIENDLY, AT ALL TIME. This is very significant burden considering you are in a battle situation.

If the battle protocol is "You should consider your friendly's move and avoid hurting them", then you only need to watch a subset of your friendly that is in your gun/torp direction, plus you control your own shooting so you only need to watch them when you are about to fire. As the result, you need to watch SOME FRIENDLY, AT SOME TIME.

Comparing the two we can see the second one is far superior in terms of battle efficiency. That's why it was decided that way in real life.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
65
[ROCT]
Members
34 posts

Thanks for all your replies.

10 hours ago, lloyd1701 said:

OP, you only turn orange for multiple infractions in quick succession. Work the penalty off and remember to look at your minimap and don't fire torps from the second line no matter how juicy you think that spread is going to be / how bad you think your teammate would have to be to catch those torps.

You see I only torped one player once. The other infractions were for me playing a BB and having other ships run into me. This often happens at teh start when other BBs esp start firing long range and don't watch where they are going. For example, the other day, a guy broadsided me into an island, I couldn't avoid either him nor the island, he wedged me in! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
65
[ROCT]
Members
34 posts
8 hours ago, OgreMkV said:

Sorry mate, but as a fellow TX destroyer specialist, if you fire torps any time that a team mate could even potentially be in the line of fire... it's on you. POTENTIALLY. Not positively. 

Yesterday, my team lost a game because I couldn't fire torps. One of my team mates (BB) charged three enemy BBs. I could have likely suck 1-2 and seriously damaged all 3. But I couldn't shoot because my teammate was too close. I was spotted a minute alter and sunk. 

When you shoot, you have to make sure that no one could even get close. Warnings don't work in randoms. Maybe in clan battles you could do it. 

I have been in this situation many times, it is so frustrating and I too hold fire. Esp bad in the situation you just described.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×