You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Fricken Start Already!

14 comments in this topic

[PT]
Members
825 posts
2,846 battles

Trying to have a random game this evening, tier 10, 4+m wait, gave up, tier 8, 3m wait, gave up, tried tier 5, same story. Lots of boats in the waiting area, more than enough to start a game but nothing happens. My tier 5 game took 3 minutes to start after having 40++ people in a similar tier to me. Don't get much time these days to play this game but seem to spend too much time trying to find a game (which ended up been a 1 sided annihilation..)

v.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
25,033 posts
26,378 battles
2 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

Trying to have a random game this evening, tier 10, 4+m wait, gave up, tier 8, 3m wait, gave up, tried tier 5, same story. Lots of boats in the waiting area, more than enough to start a game but nothing happens. My tier 5 game took 3 minutes to start after having 40++ people in a similar tier to me. Don't get much time these days to play this game but seem to spend too much time trying to find a game (which ended up been a 1 sided annihilation..)

v.jpg

More than likely, what happened is that while the numbers of ships looked good, the numbers of the right tiers of ships didn't match up to produce 2 teams with the right numbers of ships in the top, bottom, and middle tiers.  In which case, MM is stuck waiting for the queue to provide the right numbers of ships at the right tiers.

[HINON]
Members
13,377 posts

Just because ships are in your tier spread, doesn't mean they are in the same tier spread as one another. Also with the new MM changes, some ships may not be able to be in an uptiered match etc. 

Edited by RipNuN2

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,712 posts
4,169 battles

Oh, but people would be willing to wait extra time to get perfect matchmaking... xD

• Cool 1

Members
485 posts
15,274 battles
4 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

v.jpg

The problem is a lack of fourth CV so MM can create a 2 CV per side game.  That way you can have a great game experience.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[INTEL]
Members
3,122 posts
17,094 battles
1 hour ago, Gasboy said:

Oh, but people would be willing to wait extra time to get perfect matchmaking... xD

Some are, some aren't

Then there are some that insist on MM changes and insist on no increase in wait time.

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,712 posts
4,169 battles
1 minute ago, ClassicLib said:

Some are, some aren't

Then there are some that insist on MM changes and insist on no increase in wait time.

Yeah, but I would bet that there would be pandemonium if the OP's experience was everyone's experience, every day no matter the time of day. :P

[INTEL]
Members
3,122 posts
17,094 battles
Just now, Gasboy said:

Yeah, but I would bet that there would be pandemonium if the OP's experience was everyone's experience, every day no matter the time of day. :P

I've experienced additional wait times most days I've played in the last two weeks.  Some times of the day are worse, like during the morning.  Most people play after work and the server population is highest then.  The delays are less during that time.

FWIW, I'm good with some additional delay and I've noticed the changes in MM as a result.  I'm just not sure the gameplay has improved much as a result.  My experience is that it's the player, and not the tier ship that they are in has more influence on the quality and enjoyment of the battle.

[TRSF]
Members
2,215 posts
13,577 battles
6 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

4+m wait, gave up,

What was the server population at this point in time? ... without that info... well.. your complaint lacks data. If there were 13k online.. ok.. if there were 4.5k.. not so much..

[WOLFG]
Members
29,533 posts
8,665 battles
5 hours ago, Crucis said:

More than likely, what happened is that while the numbers of ships looked good, the numbers of the right tiers of ships didn't match up to produce 2 teams with the right numbers of ships in the top, bottom, and middle tiers.  In which case, MM is stuck waiting for the queue to provide the right numbers of ships at the right tiers.

Yup, enough people said that they would wait longer for better matches, so here we are..... (my usual wait time is between 1-2 min, but I find the better matchups worth it)

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
3 hours ago, ClassicLib said:

Some are, some aren't

And accusing any MM improvements of "increasing wait time" is silly when we get random increases in wait time with no changes at all.

Time spent waiting in queue is more a sign of bad population, not bad MM rules.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
25,033 posts
26,378 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

Yup, enough people said that they would wait longer for better matches, so here we are..... (my usual wait time is between 1-2 min, but I find the better matchups worth it)

Well, there's that too.  But in the OP's situation, just because the raw numbers might look like there's enough ships to build teams, it's not necessarily so.  There might be odd numbers of certain type/tier of ship so that the extra ship can't be matched up with anyone else.  For example, look at the image in the initial post.  25 BBs in queue.  What if this player was in a tier 5 BB, but all 24 other BBs were tier 6's and 7's?  What will the MM queue do with the single tier 5 BB?  It'll probably leave it in the queue until another tier 5 BB enters the queue.  But how long will that take?  And that's why you can get long wait times when it looks like there's plenty of ships to form teams.

[WOLFG]
Members
29,533 posts
8,665 battles
55 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Well, there's that too.  But in the OP's situation, just because the raw numbers might look like there's enough ships to build teams, it's not necessarily so.  There might be odd numbers of certain type/tier of ship so that the extra ship can't be matched up with anyone else.  For example, look at the image in the initial post.  25 BBs in queue.  What if this player was in a tier 5 BB, but all 24 other BBs were tier 6's and 7's?  What will the MM queue do with the single tier 5 BB?  It'll probably leave it in the queue until another tier 5 BB enters the queue.  But how long will that take?  And that's why you can get long wait times when it looks like there's plenty of ships to form teams.

I think that's part of the wondering.

Previously, that was still the case, but there would be fewer ships in the queue.

If I didn't know about the MM tweaks, I'd also wonder what was going on, when I was used to getting faster matches with fewer ships queued up.