You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CAPTAIN_JACK_HOLDEN

The Puerto Rico Grind: How many boosters are we going to need?

20 comments in this topic

Members
123 posts
5,151 battles

So how many booster are we going to need to complete the Puerto Rico? A total of 12 are available, 3 of which for doubloons (I might buy the first one or two if the price is ascending i.e 1,000 then 7,000 then 16,000 or something like that). My worry is that she will need all 9 boosters that would otherwise be free to complete her on time. My question is could you complete her on time with maybe only 6 or 7 boosters assuming you get them early enough? We might have to wait till the update drop to find out. (or has anyone on the PTE already done the math?)

Let me know what you plan to do.

GOOD LUCK ALL!

Edited by CAPTAIN_JACK_HOLDEN
edit

Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles

I'm sure someone will work out the numbers.  On test it was super easy to finish so no general idea if the speed was possible to see.

They say if you get all the tokens you can finish it without doubloons but who knows.  It will suck if you come up just short but that's probably what WG is counting on to make some money.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,612 posts
14,196 battles

In theory you can get it without spending any doubloons/real money. Now how insane that grind is will not be known until the patch hits.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles

All I know is that I will be gone for nearly a third of the grind, which essentially eliminates me from being able to complete it for free. I'm definitely not going to bridge that gap with real-world cash. This event was intended to prey precisely upon the desperation of people who are going out of town (or, really, doing anything other than play WoWs) during the holidays. I, at least, will not be taken for a ride.  

Edited by Battlecruiser_PrncsRoyal
  • Cool 5
  • Funny 1

[KSC]
Members
657 posts
9,888 battles

The needed amount was actually in the news item WG posted today.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/new-year-2020-event/

"It’s entirely possible to build  X Puerto Rico using only the boosters available for Shipbuilding Tokens. To achieve this, simply complete the event’s Directives, pass through Daily Missions, and don't miss any Daily Shipments to get more Shipbuilding Tokens as soon as possible and activate boosters in the Dockyard."

"The first booster will be activated free of charge. You can activate it immediately after Update 0.8.11 goes live to instantly obtain your first Shipbuilding Points and corresponding rewards.
Eight boosters are available in exchange for Shipbuilding Tokens. Their total cost is 2,400 Shipbuilding Tokens:
The first and second boosters cost 200 Tokens
The third and fourth boosters cost 300 Tokens
The fifth to eighth boosters cost 350 Tokens
Three boosters are available in exchange for doubloons. Their total cost is 24,000 doubloons."

"In total, you can earn as many as 2,665 Shipbuilding Tokens throughout Update 0.8.11. When Update 0.9.1 hits the servers, any Shipbuilding Tokens will be converted to credits at a rate of 1:7,500."

Edited by Ahskance

[GRAVE]
Members
1,293 posts
18,988 battles

Someone on reddit calculated it would take at least 5 non doubloons boosters to complete Puerto Rico free during the patch. However, this seems to be assuming the second you get enough tokens to unlock the booster, you unlock it instantly, which basically means you have to complete the first 5 directives on day one of their release. 

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
20,008 battles
7 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_PrncsRoyal said:

All I know is that I will be gone for nearly a third of the grind, which essentially eliminates me from being able to complete it for free. I'm definitely not going to bridge that gap with real-world cash. This event was intended to prey precisely upon the desperation of people who are going out of town (or, really, doing anything other than play WoWs) during the holidays. I, at least, will not be taken for a ride.  

I wouldn't spend more cash, but I probably will spend a few doubloons to make it go away :)

[-N-]
Beta Testers
152 posts
3,686 battles

well, from what we seen in public test version.

NO ONE will be able to unlock her for free, UNLESS you can finish all THE DIRECTIVES .

Now, you might think these directives are simple ****.

and you are partly right... BUT the last directive requires you to have something like 6 tier 10 ships.(because it is only doable in tier 10 ships only)

• Cool 2

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
5 minutes ago, reza577 said:

well, from what we seen in public test version.

NO ONE will be able to unlock her for free, UNLESS you can finish all THE DIRECTIVES .

Now, you might think these directives are simple ****.

and you are partly right... BUT the last directive requires you to have something like 6 tier 10 ships.(because it is only doable in tier 10 ships only)

And some less common ones, too, as I recall. It's not, like, Montana and Yamato or something.

[PVE]
Members
19,850 posts
12,029 battles
52 minutes ago, CAPTAIN_JACK_HOLDEN said:

So how many booster are we going to need to complete the Puerto Rico? A total of 12 are available, 3 of which for doubloons (I might buy the first one or two if the price is ascending i.e 1,000 then 7,000 then 16,000 or something like that). My worry is that she will need all 9 boosters that would otherwise be free to complete her on time. My question is could you complete her on time with maybe only 6 or 7 boosters assuming you get them early enough? We might have to wait till the update drop to find out. (or has anyone on the PTE already done the math?)

Let me know what you plan to do.

GOOD LUCK ALL!

LOTS. Details to come.

Members
123 posts
5,151 battles
2 hours ago, Battlecruiser_PrncsRoyal said:

And some less common ones, too, as I recall. It's not, like, Montana and Yamato or something.

Well that's pretty crappy, might just have to buy a booster and hope it will be enough. 

[-TXT-]
Members
105 posts
6,082 battles

I do hear that as compensation for the gold boosters, you do get a mega Santa crate, so if you were planing on getting those boxes, you might just grab a booster instead.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,537 posts
16,248 battles
3 hours ago, tfcas119 said:

Someone on reddit calculated it would take at least 5 non doubloons boosters to complete Puerto Rico free during the patch. However, this seems to be assuming the second you get enough tokens to unlock the booster, you unlock it instantly, which basically means you have to complete the first 5 directives on day one of their release. 

Yeah this sounds about right. If you can clear each directive on each start day, then yeah maybe as little as 5. I can almost guarantee that if you can finish each directive on the last day of each directive you will need all of the non dubs boosters. This also assumes that you get all of the log in tokens (75) and most of the daily mission tokens(640). The Directives alone will likely not be enough.

Members
123 posts
5,151 battles
3 minutes ago, paradat said:

Yeah this sounds about right. If you can clear each directive on each start day, then yeah maybe as little as 5. I can almost guarantee that if you can finish each directive on the last day of each directive you will need all of the non dubs boosters. This also assumes that you get all of the log in tokens and most of the daily mission tokens. The Directives alone will likely not be enough.

I forget, can directives be completed in co-op?

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,537 posts
16,248 battles
6 minutes ago, CAPTAIN_JACK_HOLDEN said:

I forget, can directives be completed in co-op?

Hmmm pretty sure they can be. Some would take longer but should be doable.

[HMCS_]
Beta Testers
57 posts
9,147 battles

So I looked into the requirements (51,300,000 pts total) and then started running down how many days required to get it based on boosters. Assuming you get the first two "free" boosters prior to Dec 16th, and only those two it would take 315 days to complete. So not going to happen. I continued my little mathematical journey for "what if you got...." boosters as follows (with the assumption they were activated on the 16th Dec):
3 - 158 days (Requires 700 Tokens Total)
4 - 84 Days (Requires 1000 Tokens Total)
5 - 52 Days (Requires 1350 Tokens Total)
6 - 36 Days (Requires 1700 Tokens Total)
7 - 27 Days (Requires 2050 Tokens Total)
8 - 21 Days (Requires 2400 Tokens Total)

I know that the total will be ticking down as you earn missions and tokens, but I'm not sure if there is actually enough time to complete this without spending doubloons. 

Members
1 post
746 battles

The math checks out. It's basically impossible if you're not obliterating flags. camos, premium time, and winning every single game you play. If you do all of those things, and play for 14 hours a day, every single day, then you might be able to get it done. Well done WG. Guess which game I won't be spending money on over the holidays

[PVE]
Members
19,850 posts
12,029 battles

Official WG grind math. Mine is too conservative and you can take a bit longer per WG.

This was posted by Fem in this thread. https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/206866-psa-a-message-from-sub_octavian-regarding-pr/

If you decide to get Puerto Rico for free, you should follow the following guidelines:
The first directive should be completed before building commences;
Directives 2 – 5 should be completed within 3 days of the directive’s opening;
The sixth directive should be completed within four days of the directive’s opening;
The final directive should be completed at the latest 24 hours before the overall event ends;
You must finish 20 Daily Missions and collect all rewards from Daily Shipments;
And spend your tokens as soon as possible on the next Token Boost.

Complete Dir I before Dec 16th, Dir II before Dec 19th, Dir III before Dec 23rd, Dir IV before Dec 27th, Dir V before Dec 31st, Dir VI before Jan 5th, and Dir VII before Jan 12th.

If you are planning to buy one premium booster:
The first directive should be completed before building commences;
Directives 2 – 4 should be completed within 3 days of the directive’s opening;
Directive 5 should be completed within 6 days of the directive’s opening;
You should finish the first 15 Daily Missions and collect all rewards from Daily Shipments;

Complete Dir I before Dec 16th, Dir II before Dec 19th, Dir III before Dec 23rd, Dir IV before Dec 27th, Dir V before Jan 3rd. You do not have to complete Dir VI-VII.

If you are planning to buy two premium boosters:
The first directive should be completed within 5 days after the directive’s start;
Directives 2 - 3 should be completed within 6 days of finishing the previous one;
The fourth directive should be completed within 12 days of finishing the previous one;
You should finish the first 13 Daily Missions and collect all rewards from Daily Shipments;

Complete Dir I before Dec 16th, Dir II before Dec 22nd, Dir III before Dec 28th, Dir IV before Dec 28th, Dir V before Jan 9th. You do not have to complete Dir VI-VII. NOTE: If you complete Dir I before Dec 16th, Dir II before Dec 19th, Dir III before Dec 23rd, and Dir IV before Dec 27th AND buy the Token boosts immediately, you can skip Dir V. 

If you are planning to buy three premium boosters:
The first directive should be completed within 7 days after the directive’s start;
The second directive should be completed within 7 days of finishing the previous one;
The third directive should be completed within 14 days of finishing the previous one;
You should collect all rewards from Daily Shipments;
You don’t need tokens from Daily Missions at all (but you will grind some anyway just by doing the Missions);

Complete Dir I before Dec 18th, Dir II before Dec 25th, Dir III before Jan 8th. You do not have to complete Dir IV-VII.