You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Landing_Skipper

New Rule for Ranked

38 comments in this topic

[-GPS-]
Members
2,899 posts
35,594 battles

I think that you should automatically save your star if TK'd by a teammate.  It's hardly fair if you don't get a chance to contribute to victory due to a teammate's bad judgement.

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,117 posts
8,347 battles

As rare as it happens and as severely as repeated TKing is punished, I feel that it's a not a bad idea. Only problem I see is alt accounts TKing themselves, and even then you'd lose more in general.

[WOLFG]
Members
10,033 posts
9,074 battles
6 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

I think that you should automatically save your star if TK'd by a teammate.  It's hardly fair if you don't get a chance to contribute to victory due to a teammate's bad judgement.

Sounds good in theory, but there would be people that would take advantage of what they saw as a hopeless situation and look to get out without a loss of a star.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,899 posts
35,594 battles
Just now, DrHolmes52 said:

Sounds good in theory, but there would be people that would take advantage of what they saw as a hopeless situation and look to get out without a loss of a star.

I thought about the possibility of abuse, but how often to you get a chance to get yourself TK'd?  Honest question because I did consider it.  Can you TK a teammate and get TK'd in exchange by ramming?  I don't think so but am not sure.

[WOLFG]
Members
10,033 posts
9,074 battles
Just now, Landing_Skipper said:

I thought about the possibility of abuse, but how often to you get a chance to get yourself TK'd?  Honest question because I did consider it.  Can you TK a teammate and get TK'd in exchange by ramming?  I don't think so but am not sure.

You just sail in front of your teammates torps.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,899 posts
35,594 battles
Just now, DrHolmes52 said:

You just sail in front of your teammates torps.

Your teammate should never launch torps if it's possible for you to "sail in front of them."

[WOLFG]
Members
10,033 posts
9,074 battles
Just now, Landing_Skipper said:

Your teammate should never launch torps if it's possible for you to "sail in front of them."

True, but how often does it happen?  Not to mention a couple of people synch dropping and one decides to do the other a favor.  

Wouldn't be often, but it could be abused.

Enough to make it worse than losing a start due to a teammate killing you?

Thinking about it, I'd say give your idea a try.

Members
566 posts
255 battles
3 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

you'd be surprised how often you have to choose between eating red torps, white torps, or yammy shells crossways under rank 10

• Funny 1

[A-I-M]
Members
3,184 posts
13,581 battles
48 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

No.

A TK should not automatically result in a star being lost by another player, who would have otherwise kept it, but for your proposed rule.

If I was a pernicious CV player, I imagine once I see my team’s battle is lost, I could bomb and torp myself into a saved star fairly reliably.

Or, does that not count as a TK?

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea

[-GPS-]
Members
2,899 posts
35,594 battles
1 minute ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

No.

A TK should not automatically result in a star being lost by another player, who would have otherwise kept it, but for your proposed rule.

If I was a pernicious CV player, I imagine once I see my team’s battle is lost, I could bomb and torp myself into a saved star fairly reliably.

1) never suggest that another player lose his star, only that if victim of TK you shouldn't lose star if on losing team (in addition to top XP)

2) clearly killing yourself shouldn't be included

[SALVO]
Members
25,110 posts
26,519 battles
1 hour ago, Landing_Skipper said:

On the flip side, maybe if a player TKs a team mate (in Ranked), that player should automatically lose a star, win or lose, and even if he's top loser.

Edited by Crucis
  • Cool 2

[-GPS-]
Members
2,899 posts
35,594 battles
19 minutes ago, Crucis said:

On the flip side, maybe if a player TKs a team mate (in Ranked), that player should automatically lose a star, win or lose, and even if he's top loser.

If on winning team, no star.  If on losing team, lose star no matter what. How about that?

Crazy thing is I've been TK'd twice now tonight.  First time I was playing DD and a cretin DD teammate launched torps at me then complained that I "drove into them".  I was under fire from a Grozovoi and a Wooster at the time, in addition to trying my best to dodge the "friendly" torps.  That DD lived a long time but did nothing for the team.  Miserable loss.  Second time I was in Smolensk and got torped by another Smol.  We were both fighting a hyper aggressive Kremlin who had a cruiser and a DD helping him.  That TK I can accept, especially since the guy continued to play really well and we won.

Edited by Landing_Skipper

[CYNIC]
Members
2,638 posts
6,362 battles

I say scrap the win XP bonus and give the top 50% of players from the entire match the star.  

[-GPS-]
Members
2,899 posts
35,594 battles
40 minutes ago, NoSoMo said:

I say scrap the win XP bonus and give the top 50% of players from the entire match the star.  

I've advocated for variations along those lines for a long time.

[SALVO]
Members
25,110 posts
26,519 battles
1 hour ago, NoSoMo said:

No, then there's no point in trying to win.  The built in bonus to base XP for winning absolutely needs to be a part of the mix, because playing to win should ALWAYS matter.  It just shouldn't be the only thing that matters.

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,294 posts
3 hours ago, Landing_Skipper said:

Are we playing the same game?

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,734 battles
5 hours ago, Landing_Skipper said:

Saving a star should be done away with completely too many sit in back and farm damage not even trying to win.

Perhaps the worst thing ever implemented in ranked was the save a star idea.

Edited by Vaffu

Members
1,368 posts
1,286 battles
3 hours ago, Vaffu said:

Saving a star should be done away with completely too many sit in back and farm damage not even trying to win.

Perhaps the worst thing ever implemented in ranked was the save a star idea.

I said it before: the people who complain about save-a-star are the ones who aren't good enough to make first place.

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,734 battles
2 hours ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

I said it before: the people who complain about save-a-star are the ones who aren't good enough to make first place.

I said it before anyone who hides their stats can make claims as to anything.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[INTEL]
Members
3,153 posts
17,206 battles
12 hours ago, Landing_Skipper said:

It's hardly fair if the only reason you received a star is because of someone else's action.  Saving a star is currently reserved for the player that contributed the most.  You could contribute zero, get TK'd at the end of the battle and save your star.  How is that fair?

What might be more fair is to immediately remove a star from the player that did the TK.  They lose another star if the team loses.

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,712 posts
4,169 battles
12 hours ago, Landing_Skipper said:

What'd you say or do?

[HINON]
Members
13,431 posts
8 hours ago, Crucis said:

No, then there's no point in trying to win.  The built in bonus to base XP for winning absolutely needs to be a part of the mix, because playing to win should ALWAYS matter.  It just shouldn't be the only thing that matters.

If you use base xp, then winning is factored in.