You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Tank_Ace

HE SHELL questions.

7 comments in this topic

Members
53 posts
1,355 battles

When shooting BB with he shell with my dd and even small cal CA, I am having trouble pening.  As a result not damages to the BB.  I know with HE even with no pen I can damage a mod but....

questions

1.  If there are not pen from the HE shell do I still have a chance to set the ship on fire?  Or no pen not chance of fire?

2.  If there is not pen (or penning very little)  with HE shell am I better just shooting AP. 

thanks

[O7]
Members
1,031 posts
4,505 battles

1) HE shells will have the same chance to light a fire pen or no pen

2) That is way too broad of a question because your AP performance depends on a lot more factors such as angle, penetration, and range

You can watch the video here, explains a lot of the basics

• Cool 1

[-KIA-]
Members
5,188 posts
13,235 battles

HE shells can still set fires if they do not penetrate.  It is also better to shoot HE if you know you're gonna bounce (even battleships should be doing this if they cannot overmatch some ships).

[LOU1]
Members
4,180 posts
12,207 battles

The main uses of HE are to start fires on ships and to reliably damage DDs without overpenning.  I do not fire HE with the intention to pen a ship, unless it is a DD.  Depending on the ship you are using, HE is a reliable way to take out a BB or other large ship you could otherwise not damage through the use of fire.  Angling can defeat AP frequently, especially if you have low caliber guns.

Edited by ExploratorOne

Members
156 posts
2,940 battles

Ooh, I can specifically address DD caliber:

For DD guns, you cannot cross the 25mm armor theshold without IFHE, which means most of a cruiser or battleship are off limits for raw damage. This is especially true in higher tiers. The main place you can reliably pennetrate on virtually any ship is the superstructure. Shoot HE at it until a fire starts. Then you can either continue to shoot it for more raw damage or shoot another part of the ship for a chance at another fire. If you aren't getting any damage hitting the superstructure, it means it's already saturated and won't take any HE damage anymore.

Don't forget about AP. You'll shoot HE 99% of the time but AP is good against close-range (<6-7km) and broadside cruisers. You should look up belt values, but generally even the floaty USN 127mm shells can pen the hull/deck of a broadside CA. If not, bow, aft, and superstructure are fair game. You can also shoot AP at battleship superstructures if they are broadside. This will yield a higher dpm than shooting HE at the cost of not shooting fires.