Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sweetsie

Double secret probation IFHE ships?

84 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

3,594
Members
6,634 posts
20,802 battles

Any ships out there that do really well with IFHE that most wouldn't think to use it? 

@Ducky_shot

My idol and emotional landlord said to use it on the Mahan, and I did... whether or not its a good idea... I still did it. Another just told me to use it on the Yoshino? I know some/many use it on the Henri.

I realize there are many  "standard" ships that use it... just curious if there are other hidden gems that others (me) may not have thought to use it on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,505
[RKLES]
Members
12,554 posts
14,283 battles

Some major secondary gun BBs are said to be fun with IFHE on them, but never wanted to share any of my other secondary build skills to try it myself. First time I have had to break down and actually use IFHE finally was on Jutland thanks to HE shells being nearly impossible to have pen anything otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
623 posts
81 battles
17 minutes ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

Any ships out there that do really well with IFHE that most wouldn't think to use it? 

@Ducky_shot

My idol and emotional landlord said to use it on the Mahan, and I did... whether or not its a good idea... I still did it. Another just told me to use it on the Yoshino? I know some/many use it on the Henri.

I realize there are many  "standard" ships that use it... just curious if there are other hidden gems that others (me) may not have thought to use it on.

 

IFHE Bayard will pen US BB deck armour at 38 mm since it has 1/5 pen rule

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
513
[BOTO]
Members
1,299 posts
15,745 battles
33 minutes ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

Any ships out there that do really well with IFHE that most wouldn't think to use it? 

@Ducky_shot

My idol and emotional landlord said to use it on the Mahan, and I did... whether or not its a good idea... I still did it. Another just told me to use it on the Yoshino? I know some/many use it on the Henri.

I realize there are many  "standard" ships that use it... just curious if there are other hidden gems that others (me) may not have thought to use it on.

 

Hindenburg and Henri IV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,594
Members
6,634 posts
20,802 battles
46 minutes ago, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

Hindenburg .

What makes the Hindy stand out over the other ships with 203's?

I recall a good while ago German ships "not needing" IFHE cause it was "built in" or something like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
64
[-KAK-]
Members
136 posts
6,581 battles
3 minutes ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

What makes the Hindy stand out over the other ships with 203's?

I recall a good while ago German ships "not needing" IFHE cause it was "built in" or something like that. 

Hinden has baked in 1/4 pen, meaning without IFHE you pen 50, with you pen 65. Pretty sure this only allows you to pen soviet deck armor (@60mm)?

Don't have access to the game rn but personally I have my Hinden points allocated elsewhere.

 

I do use it on my HIV for the 50mm pen however

Edited by _Pixi_
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,445 posts
7,009 battles

Some of the British BB's gain HE cit capability against common cruisers, and it's at a relatively low cost to the fire chance, since it's already super high.

 

Matt

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
274
[ALWC]
Members
1,186 posts
14,295 battles
30 minutes ago, mobryan said:

Some of the British BB's gain HE cit capability against common cruisers, and it's at a relatively low cost to the fire chance, since it's already super high.

 

Matt

That's dirty! I like it. Can't wait for the free respec now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,765
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,719 posts
12,724 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

First time I have had to break down and actually use IFHE finally was on Jutland thanks to HE shells being nearly impossible to have pen anything otherwise.

Try the AP. It’s fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
323 posts
2,954 battles

IFHE is fantastic, I've seen some folks try odd builds with great effect. Example, a buddy of mine rolls with it on Des Moines (it functions very similarity to SAP shells at that point.) A lot of the British BBs can run it to effect as well.

Personally, if you are running a gun caliber of 155mm or less, I think it is mandatory (unless you don't want to shoot your guns of course.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,445 posts
7,009 battles
4 minutes ago, wstugamd said:

That's dirty! I like it. Can't wait for the free respec now

It's not a line-wide thing, though. Certain ships gain more from it than others. Someone (maybe LWM???) went through and mathed out which ships do and do not gain from the skill. I know Nelson doesn't gain a whole lot from it against cruisers, IIRC, it's only a few T8 and T9's that it makes a difference. IFHE DOES let Nelson penetrate turret tops on several BB's, though, and that can cause them all sort of grief when they are suddenly down large percentages of their firepower.

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
513
[BOTO]
Members
1,299 posts
15,745 battles
1 hour ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

What makes the Hindy stand out over the other ships with 203's?

I recall a good while ago German ships "not needing" IFHE cause it was "built in" or something like that. 

You pen 66mm with IFHE Hindenburg.......which means you pen the deck of anything you'll face, including the Russian armor barges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,927 posts
7,608 battles
58 minutes ago, Tyberius_D said:

I've seen some folks try odd builds with great effect. Example, a buddy of mine rolls with it on Des Moines (it functions very similarity to SAP shells at that point.)

Wat?  IFHE on a DM is almost completely useless. It only allows you to pen the central deck plating of Montana and Iowa, hardly a useful use of a 4-point skill. It does not cross any other armor threshold, and certainly does not make it function like SAP any any way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
323 posts
2,954 battles
3 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

Wat?  IFHE on a DM is almost completely useless. It only allows you to pen the central deck plating of Montana and Iowa, hardly a useful use of a 4-point skill. It does not cross any other armor threshold, and certainly does not make it function like SAP any any way. 

I'm sorry, I saw the results first hand, it turns superstructures into swiz cheese. I really thought about changing it up myself, but I like my support build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,445 posts
7,009 battles

Any DM firing HE into superstructures will do that.

IFHE DM is a myth that won't die.

 

Do the math yourself.

 

 

Matt

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,927 posts
7,608 battles
7 minutes ago, Tyberius_D said:

I'm sorry, I saw the results first hand, it turns superstructures into swiz cheese. I really thought about changing it up myself, but I like my support build.

High-tier superstructures max out at 19mm. Even DDs can pen that without IFHE. All you're doing with IFHE on a DM is lowering your fire chance.

I don't think you or your friend understand how IFHE works. Flamu has a good video explaining it. Google it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
323 posts
2,954 battles
5 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

High-tier superstructures max out at 19mm. Even DDs can pen that without IFHE. All you're doing with IFHE on a DM is lowering your fire chance.

I don't think you or your friend understand how IFHE works. Flamu has a good video explaining it. Google it. 

My DDs don't pen crap without IFHE, but they sure don't have that problem when they do have it.

Sorry, I have no reason to believe you at all.

Edited by Tyberius_D
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,445 posts
7,009 battles

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

You can, however, drown the sumbitch in it...

 

 

Matt

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
475 posts
5,225 battles

most mid tier (tier 5-7) ships with dd gun calibers (127mm ish) do very well since the armor schemes see you get bb pens at those tiers. 

 

As far as secret ifhe ships, khaba is mine. Other ships are way better at lighting fires these days and fire rng hates me, but bow and stern pens on cruisers are nice to have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,969
[INTEL]
Members
13,209 posts
36,461 battles
4 hours ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

Any ships out there that do really well with IFHE that most wouldn't think to use it? 

@Ducky_shot

My idol and emotional landlord said to use it on the Mahan, and I did... whether or not its a good idea... I still did it. Another just told me to use it on the Yoshino? I know some/many use it on the Henri.

I realize there are many  "standard" ships that use it... just curious if there are other hidden gems that others (me) may not have thought to use it on.

 

I put it on Fletch. Very reliable damage and it eats mogadors....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
513
[BOTO]
Members
1,299 posts
15,745 battles
59 minutes ago, Tyberius_D said:

I'm sorry, I saw the results first hand, it turns superstructures into swiz cheese. I really thought about changing it up myself, but I like my support build.

Superstructures are 19mm, you don't need IFHE to penetrate that if your base penetration already exceeds that threshold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,331 posts
4,615 battles

As mentioned above, Henry IV didn't become the bees knees until IFHE was experimented on it. Yoshino/Azuma is iffy imo but people say good things about them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,898
[SYN]
Members
15,866 posts
12,803 battles
58 minutes ago, Tyberius_D said:

My DDs don't pen crap without IFHE, but they sure don't have that problem when they do have it.

Sorry, I have no reason to believe you at all.

 

1 hour ago, Tyberius_D said:

I'm sorry, I saw the results first hand, it turns superstructures into swiz cheese. I really thought about changing it up myself, but I like my support build.

 

2 hours ago, Tyberius_D said:

IFHE is fantastic, I've seen some folks try odd builds with great effect. Example, a buddy of mine rolls with it on Des Moines (it functions very similarity to SAP shells at that point.) A lot of the British BBs can run it to effect as well.

Personally, if you are running a gun caliber of 155mm or less, I think it is mandatory (unless you don't want to shoot your guns of course.)

Please cease and desist with false information.

Des Moines already surpasses the 19mm armor threshold on BB superstructures. In fact, Des Moines HE already does 33mm of penetration (203mm/6, rounded down).
Having an additional 30% penetration only increases this to 43mm (203mm*1.3/6, rounded down).
The only ships with armor thresholds of more than 33mm, but less than 43mm are Iowa/Montana and their clones.

There are only a handful of matchups, with regards to DD caliber guns, not being able to pass superstructure thresholds.
Daring/Jutland's 113mm gun can only do 18mm.
That's about it, really.

Edited by MrDeaf
  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×