Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Panzer1113

Santa containers new rule

60 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

395
[RCNW3]
Members
1,928 posts
19,405 battles

Interesting that this year new rule that if you have all the ships on the list and you drop a ship, you will get another type of reward.  In the past, you would get a duplicate ship and the compensation in doubloons.  Have to say it was a great reward in the past.

Also will be interesting to see how the “alternate ship” from the list drops.  Last year was by tier, so if you got a duplicate, would go to the “normal” list and drop you a non-duplicate at the lowest tier (starting at tier 5 then moving up).  So if you have a lot of ships, take a look at the tier 5s on the normal side for what you might get first.  I could expect the Hill, VU, Yahagi or Marblehead Lima, yuk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,072 posts

Yeah, I only had 5 ships left to get last year. 17 this time.  

Thankfully, I have all the 'not available' ships already, except Fujin, but I have Kami already, so no big deal.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,594
Members
6,634 posts
20,802 battles
13 minutes ago, Panzer1113 said:

Interesting that this year new rule that if you have all the ships on the list and you drop a ship, you will get another type of reward.  In the past, you would get a duplicate ship and the compensation in doubloons.  Have to say it was a great reward in the past.

Also will be interesting to see how the “alternate ship” from the list drops.  Last year was by tier, so if you got a duplicate, would go to the “normal” list and drop you a non-duplicate at the lowest tier (starting at tier 5 then moving up).  So if you have a lot of ships, take a look at the tier 5s on the normal side for what you might get first.  I could expect the Hill, VU, Yahagi or Marblehead Lima, yuk.

Ya, last year was a beast for me. Got the Prinz to drop again as well as a bunch of dubs, the Texas in a SC and also got some dubs from that Irian loot crate gamble, and on top of that tier 9 ranked was going on and got several tier 9 perm camo's at 50%. Roon, Seattle, Donskoi, Buffalo, also got the Fletcher and one or two more perma camos.

s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,750
[SQUAD]
Members
9,159 posts
11,191 battles

The point is to try and force players to buy doubloons, rather than have them stock up on them at a heavy discount once a year. I'm not happy they've changed things, either, I mean, it benefited players quite heavily, but I understand why they did it.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,594
Members
6,634 posts
20,802 battles
12 minutes ago, agm114r said:

Yeah, I only had 5 ships left to get last year. 17 this time.  

Thankfully, I have all the 'not available' ships already, except Fujin, but I have Kami already, so no big deal.  

 

gonna be bummed if that drops for me, having the kami and kami r. rarely play that tier anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,041
[EQRN]
Members
2,053 posts
17,829 battles

Not getting doubloons went away last year (at least).  Basically, you win a ship, and if you already have it, it “re-rolls” until a ship you don’t have is found.  (It would be nice to see what’s happening in the background and how many “re-rolls” happen.

What I don’t like is - you buy a Santa Crate and if you get a ship, and it is a ship you have - it doesn’t re-roll on the Christmas list, it returns a Super Container which then rolls on a non-Christmas list.  

What does that mean?  Let’s say you have the Scharnhorst and the Santa crate rolls the Scharnhorst.  Instead of re-rolling on the Xmas list which includes the “rares”, a SC is substituted which does not include the “rares”.  This is bait and switch.  

I could be wrong, but the language is clear if a Santa crate gives you a ship you have, a ship SC is substituted. If the SC has the same ship list, then everything is rosy - but I thought they operated on a different list (why specify the Xmas ship list as unique?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,594
Members
6,634 posts
20,802 battles
3 minutes ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

The point is to try and force players to buy doubloons, rather than have them stock up on them at a heavy discount once a year. I'm not happy they've changed things, either, I mean, it benefited players quite heavily, but I understand why they did it.

Its an odd deal though. I drop $20's like hotcakes trying to glean the system for ship drops... in the end I spend hundreds over the course of the 3-4 week offering. (especially when the scotch is flowing) Even though I think I have it figured out... they still get me good every xmas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,594
Members
6,634 posts
20,802 battles
3 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

Not getting doubloons went away last year (at least).  Basically, you win a ship, and if you already have it, it “re-rolls” until a ship you don’t have is found.  (It would be nice to see what’s happening in the background and how many “re-rolls” happen.

What I don’t like is - you buy a Santa Crate and if you get a ship, and it is a ship you have - it doesn’t re-roll on the Christmas list, it returns a Super Container which then rolls on a non-Christmas list.  

What does that mean?  Let’s say you have the Scharnhorst and the Santa crate rolls the Scharnhorst.  Instead of re-rolling on the Xmas list which includes the “rares”, a SC is substituted which does not include the “rares”.  This is bait and switch.  

I could be wrong, but the language is clear if a Santa crate gives you a ship you have, a ship SC is substituted. If the SC has the same ship list, then everything is rosy - but I thought they operated on a different list (why specify the Xmas ship l

That didn't happen to me last year (as I recall) The last ship on the list was the kami and one more ship dropped and I got Doubloons the Prinz. like 8000+. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,520
[PVE]
Members
12,089 posts
24,972 battles
5 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

Not getting doubloons went away last year (at least).  Basically, you win a ship, and if you already have it, it “re-rolls” until a ship you don’t have is found.  (It would be nice to see what’s happening in the background and how many “re-rolls” happen.

What I don’t like is - you buy a Santa Crate and if you get a ship, and it is a ship you have - it doesn’t re-roll on the Christmas list, it returns a Super Container which then rolls on a non-Christmas list.  

What does that mean?  Let’s say you have the Scharnhorst and the Santa crate rolls the Scharnhorst.  Instead of re-rolling on the Xmas list which includes the “rares”, a SC is substituted which does not include the “rares”.  This is bait and switch.  

I could be wrong, but the language is clear if a Santa crate gives you a ship you have, a ship SC is substituted. If the SC has the same ship list, then everything is rosy - but I thought they operated on a different list (why specify the Xmas ship list as unique?)

You got doubloons for duplicates last year. I had all the ships possible and got doubloons for the duplicates I got.

I don't like the change they have done this year. I have all but 2 ships from the list and once/if I get those I won't buy as many crates for other stuff as I used to knowing I won't get ship drops that give doubloons. 

By trying to save money (ie; not give out doubloons for duplicates) all WG does is cost themselves sales of stuff and thus loses a lot more than they save.. 

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
889
[USCC]
Members
3,010 posts
13,776 battles
2 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

You got doubloons for duplicates last year. I had all the ships possible and got doubloons for the duplicates I got.

I don't like the change they have done this year. I have all but 2 ships from the list and once/if I get those I won't buy as many crates for other stuff as I used to knowing I won't get ship drops that give doubloons. 

By trying to save money (ie; not give out doubloons for duplicates) all WG does is cost themselves sales of stuff and thus loses a lot more than they save.. 

I'm only missing 4 from the list, I don't imagine I'll be buying this time round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,520
[PVE]
Members
12,089 posts
24,972 battles
1 minute ago, SpudZero said:

I'm only missing 4 from the list, I don't imagine I'll be buying this time round.

I have all but 2 (Fujin and Azuma). No incentive now at all to buy crates once/if those drop for me. Santa crates were the ONE crate I would buy looking for the big RNG drop (ie; ships) as it was a great way to get ships and doubloons for duplicates. With that removed I will buy WAY less of them.

So in an effort to cheap out (this is like how they give credits for duplicates on some premiums) all they have done is lost a lot of money from me alone.THey can do what they want; it's their business/game. But these cheap out moves hurt them big time. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,452
[ARGSY]
Members
20,624 posts
14,706 battles

I can sympathise with WG's reluctance to keep the crates acting as a constant doubloon farm. 

Because I don't believe in paying money for ephemeral content such as flags, I'm not a buyer of these crates anyway (except as gifts for others). So that may be colouring my attitude.

I will be content with whatever the 0.8.11 event gives out for free. If I drop a ship or two, all the better.

At least now you can't keep on getting the same terrible ship over and over. There is that much to be said.

What we have here is the natural consequence of an absolute lockout on duplicate ships.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
897 posts
3,947 battles

I'm missing 28, which sounds like good odds.  But of those 28 most are already available for purchase in the premium shop, or for doubloons in the armory, and I've already passed on them.  I think WG gets a little lazy on some of their premiums, and they turn out to be poorly executed. 

So excluding the five CV's (which I don't want to play, and nobody else wants me to play), there are only two - the Musashi and Kronshtadt - that I'd be interested in acquiring.  With those odds and the fact that I won't get doubloons for any existing duplicates I can't see myself buying any Santa Crates, except as gifts for my friends who...um...  Oh yeah, they don't play anymore...so...sorry WG.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,072 posts
35 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

What I don’t like is - you buy a Santa Crate and if you get a ship, and it is a ship you have - it doesn’t re-roll on the Christmas list, it returns a Super Container which then rolls on a non-Christmas list.  

Yes, it does.  If you have a ship it rolled, it rolls again for another ship on that list.  You will only get 'other' if you have everything on the list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,520
[PVE]
Members
12,089 posts
24,972 battles
21 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I can sympathise with WG's reluctance to keep the crates acting as a constant doubloon farm. 

Because I don't believe in paying money for ephemeral content such as flags, I'm not a buyer of these crates anyway (except as gifts for others). So that may be colouring my attitude.

I will be content with whatever the 0.8.11 event gives out for free. If I drop a ship or two, all the better.

At least now you can't keep on getting the same terrible ship over and over. There is that much to be said.

What we have here is the natural consequence of an absolute lockout on duplicate ships.

But the issue is, and it is the same issue I have when they give credits for duplicates, these policies of theirs screw over those who have already spent on the game and been loyal good customers. The new player or those who don't spend much get the good prizes while the whales like me get a reroll for lesser value. It is not right. It treats one segment of the players better than the other. 

If WG is willing to give you prize X in a Santa crate if you don't have it already then they should be willing to give equal compensation (doubloons is the only real equal compensation for a premium ship other than another premium ship) to a player who already does have prize X if they have it drop. It is NOT right to have different levels of prizes based on what you already have. 

Let me also add, this does not save them money from lost doubloon sales either. All it is going to do is cost them a butt load of Santa crate sales because they have taken away the biggest incentive they offer. Hey look WG, you saved yourself 10,000 doubloons but you lost 100,000 Santa crates sales (just example not actual numbers obviously). 

It just is not right and there is no justification for this. It will cost them big in crate sales. IF you take me alone this will cost them at least $500. I spent BIG on Santa crates but will not do so now. The Santa crates were the ONE crate where you bought them for more than just the guaranteed content. IT is not worth doing that now.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
768
[WOLF9]
Members
4,520 posts
11 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

You got doubloons for duplicates last year. I had all the ships possible and got doubloons for the duplicates I got.

I don't like the change they have done this year. I have all but 2 ships from the list and once/if I get those I won't buy as many crates for other stuff as I used to knowing I won't get ship drops that give doubloons. 

By trying to save money (ie; not give out doubloons for duplicates) all WG does is cost themselves sales of stuff and thus loses a lot more than they save.. 

  Nah- I'd just use the money to buy doubloons to use for ship boosts.   To make damn sure I get my Puerto Rico.   (declining quality of play has seriously cut into my play time over the past months, thus I want all the boosts I can get.   Also, this update looks like a real whopper, and my data doesn't reset till the 19th.   It'll take several days to install at the "snails pace" they cut me back to when I use up my high speed gigs...)

 Aw who'm I kidding, lol.   I use crates to stock up on camos, coal, premium time; and signals.   Always have.  Ships are just the occasional "Jackpot!!!"

I DO, however, get a kick out of all the " YOU SUCK, WG!!!!"   "I GOT RIPPED!!!!"  and "NOT ANOTHER DIME!!!"  posts that flood the boards every year from people who think randomized crate rewards means they'll get exactly what they want from the first couple they buy.   And I'm sitting on half a year of premium, and mountains of camos and useful signals that came out of those same crates.  (why do I use premium camos and flags in all my Co-op games?  Because I HAVE bargeloads of them sitting in inventory.  And, thus, I'm never short of silver or FXP)

As I've said year after year:  the key to being satisfied with your results lies in managing your expectations.   Expecting the Grand Prize, and the Grand Prize only is not only unrealistic, but self defeating.

The only problem is that this year, we've had a constant stream of various crates we could buy for months now.  That'll likely cut fairly deep into the amount of $$ players have to spend on these ones.

 

  So far as I can tell, "the list"  doesn't have too many ships I don't have or want.   I don't recall them releasing too many that were cash or dubs only (that I didn't buy),  and I've managed to earn enough coal to get all the ships there I really wanted.  Those I didn't, no biggie.   That just leaves Bourgogne, and the tier 10 Frenchie CL- and I doubt they'll be giving us a quick shortcut to THOSE, lol.    I would be overjoyed, but I imagine the boards would go ballistic...

  Anything is better than getting 14 Emdens; etc.  because it kept popping up "ship" and you already had all of them.  I STILL have extra 10 point captains in reserves from those years, lol.

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
395
[RCNW3]
Members
1,928 posts
19,405 battles

For me, the doubloons for a duplicate was incentive to keep spending, especially if you were getting close to having them all.  This year, since that is not in play, I guarantee I will not spend as much.  As a matter of fact, it is a huge disincentive as you get closer to having all the ships (especially if the remaining ships do not have a lot of appeal for you).  If ships/doubloon compensation is taken out of the equation, not sure I value the remaining possible awards to equal the cash outlay.

Edited by Panzer1113
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,520
[PVE]
Members
12,089 posts
24,972 battles
3 minutes ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

  Nah- I'd just use the money to buy doubloons to use for ship boosts.   To make damn sure I get my Puerto Rico.   (declining quality of play has seriously cut into my play time over the past months, thus I want all the boosts I can get.   Also, this update looks like a real whopper, and my data doesn't reset till the 19th.   It'll take several days to install at the "snails pace" they cut me back to when I use up my high speed gigs...)

 Aw who'm I kidding, lol.   I use crates to stock up on camos, coal, premium time; and signals.   Always have.  Ships are just the occasional "Jackpot!!!"

I DO, however, get a kick out of all the " YOU SUCK, WG!!!!"   "I GOT RIPPED!!!!"  and "NOT ANOTHER DIME!!!"  posts that flood the boards every year from people who think randomized crate rewards means they'll get exactly what they want from the first couple they buy.   And I'm sitting on half a year of premium, and mountains of camos and useful signals that came out of those same crates.  (why do I use premium camos and flags in all my Co-op games?  Because I HAVE bargeloads of them sitting in inventory.  And, thus, I'm never short of silver or FXP)

As I've said year after year:  the key to being satisfied with your results lies in managing your expectations.   Expecting the Grand Prize, and the Grand Prize only is not only unrealistic, but self defeating.

The only problem is that this year, we've had a constant stream of various crates we could buy for months now.  That'll likely cut fairly deep into the amount of $$ players have to spend on these ones.

 

  So far as I can tell, "the list"  doesn't have too many ships I don't have or want.   I don't recall them releasing too many that were cash or dubs only (that I didn't buy),  and I've managed to earn enough coal to get all the ships there I really wanted.  Those I didn't, no biggie.   That just leaves Bourgogne, and the tier 10 Frenchie CL- and I doubt they'll be giving us a quick shortcut to THOSE, lol.    I would be overjoyed, but I imagine the boards would go ballistic...

  Anything is better than getting 14 Emdens; etc.  because it kept popping up "ship" and you already had all of them.  I STILL have extra 10 point captains in reserves from those years, lol.

I am the biggest proponent there is of buying for the guaranteed content and not the big prize. BUT these Santa crates are the exception to that rule because of the frequency of premium ship drops and the doubloon compensation for duplicates. They took that away now so there is no longer any incentive to keep buying the crates after you have all the ships.

They will cost themselves way more from lost sales of Santa crates then they will save in doubloons not being given for duplicate ships IMO. I need 2 ships to fill out the list this year. If I get them in 1 $3 X20 pack that is all WG gets out of me. In the past if that happened I would have still bought hundreds of dollars more of the crates for the regular content but also for those duplicate doubloons. So with me saving themselves $50 worth of doubloons will cost them $500 in crate sales. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,012
[DVYJC]
Members
3,211 posts
7,120 battles
11 minutes ago, Panzer1113 said:

For me, the doubloons for a duplicate was incentive to keep spending, especially if you were getting close to having them all.  This year, since that is not in play, I guarantee I will not spend as much.  As a matter of fact, it is a huge disincentive as you get closer to having all the ships (especially if the remaining ships do not have a lot of appeal for you).  If ships/doubloon compensation is taken out of the equation, not sure I value the remaining possible awards to equal the cash outlay.

I think the crates seem to be the best value to two kinds of players: players who have less than a year or so in the game and/or have few premium ships, and those players who already have most of the premium ships and are trying to get the discontinued ones they can't ordinarily get. The former because most of the ship drops will have at least some value, if for no other reason than diversifying their ports by ship type and national line (which makes most of the game event grinds easier), and the latter because any ship drop from the crates will have a higher chance of being one of the few discontinued ships they don't own and couldn't buy otherwise.

The people who get the least value will probably be those in the middle, who have some premiums that they really like, but don't have all of the worse ships and/or lower-tier ships cluttering up the drop list. They'll have less odds of getting the rare ships they want and higher odds of getting ones they didn't want enough to buy in the first place.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,011
[INTEL]
Members
3,128 posts
17,110 battles
48 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I can sympathise with WG's reluctance to keep the crates acting as a constant doubloon farm. 

Because I don't believe in paying money for ephemeral content such as flags, I'm not a buyer of these crates anyway (except as gifts for others). So that may be colouring my attitude.

I will be content with whatever the 0.8.11 event gives out for free. If I drop a ship or two, all the better.

At least now you can't keep on getting the same terrible ship over and over. There is that much to be said.

What we have here is the natural consequence of an absolute lockout on duplicate ships.

I can see it and understand it intellectually.  I guess I've not internalized the idea of WG deincentivizing me to buy gift boxes.  I'll be OK with it before long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
157
[ANKER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
574 posts
12,890 battles

If they are not compensating people who already have the ships then shouldn't the prices of the santa boxes be lower for them? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,991
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,801 posts
1 minute ago, Condor_Legion said:

If they are not compensating people who already have the ships then shouldn't the prices of the santa boxes be lower for them? 

No, the value of the crate is in the crate, one way or the other.  No-one is guaranteed a ship drop.

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,189
[A-D-F]
Members
2,094 posts
7,603 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Because I don't believe in paying money for ephemeral content such as flags, I'm not a buyer of these crates anyway (except as gifts for others). So that may be colouring my attitude.

Have I mentioned how very handsome and smart you are looking lately there and that you're my bestest buddy in the whole world?  :Smile_trollface:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×