You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Random Thoughts from Deep R'Lyeh: The Permanent Campaigns. Honorable Service.

14 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
20,818 posts
14,813 battles

HONORABLE SERVICE

This is a series of missions for players with at least one Tier 8 ship, the end prize of which is a Tier 6 premium Japanese destroyer with an 11-point captain. She is a very nice and fun ship to play, and constitutes a very good captain re-trainer if you have not already started up the IJN destroyer line.

The advice given here assumes that the player has at least one Tier 8 ship (to be eligible for the missions in the first place), and calculations on rate of completion are based on the assumption that the player goes to the third daily crate every night (requiring 37,000 ship XP), does not have premium time, and is thus limited to one task at a time because they are running the Yamamoto Isoroku campaign in parallel (guide HERE) or the Halsey campaign (guide HERE).

Running two campaigns together, specifically running the XP or cash tasks of the Yamamoto/Halsey campaign while you work on a mission in this one, is something I strongly advise. It means you are advancing your interests automatically in the Yamamoto campaign while you are working on the far more combat-related tasks in this one. 

If these assumptions do not apply to you, you must scale and recalculate given your own particular intensity of play. Without further ado, let us proceed to discuss…

Mission 1

image.png.8ffef0f5b451f473c60790ab14422eee.png

The key for the newer player here is to pick the task which is easiest to do and do it over and over again. Stars can be earned more than once for the same mission, even though the reward can only be earned once. Simply select it all over again once you are finished. Back in my noobish days I foolishly went for Task Number 1, and this was a horrible mistake. It is far easier to count on breaking main-battery modules on ships of any nationality than it is to count on (a) there being Japanese ships in a given battle in the first place and (b) them being on the same side of the map as you and available to damage. Plus you get three times as many stars for completing the main battery task.

If you have a battleship or carrier, I advise to select Task 3 and keep on selecting it until you have all the stars. If you haven’t done the Yamaomoto campaign yet, plug in either the XP or the cash grinding task from that one and run them in parallel; this one will give you the motivation to keep on fighting and accumulating main battery breakages while the Yamamoto task quietly accumulates its XP or credits.

If you have a fast-firing light cruiser or destroyer, you can select Task 2 instead of Task 3; you have a reasonable chance of completing this on a regular basis.

The final task is just a matter of continuing play until you are done, remembering that it calculates on the basis of credits earned BEFORE service costs are deducted. Then it’s on to...

Mission 2.

image.png.252f722dcb98000151bbdf661b524e26.png

It goes without saying that if your sole Tier 8 ship is NOT a cruiser, you will have a much longer, harder path through this mission. Tasks 3 and 4 might take some time to do, but Task 3 is the more reliable. If you have a cruiser, work on task 3. If you can afford premium time and have three task options, consider tasks 3 and 4 together while you save the third campaign slot for the Yamamoto XP or cash grind.

Getting capture ribbons in a battleship is not impossible in late game; getting three will be difficult. Likewise, coming top-3 in five victorious battles might take you a while unless you’re very good, as you are dependent on your team to not faceplant. In this context, going for the damage task and progressing slowly might be your best way through.

If you are the aggressive sort and your one T8 ship is a destroyer, you might choose to target DD players on the other team, going for the destroyer-kills task. But in that case, you’re just as likely to get the capture/assist ribbons (if not more so).

Carrier players are in a thornier position here, as there is no one task at which they excel. However, their aircraft do have greater freedom of movement across the map, and in this case going for the damage to US ships becomes a more achievable goal.

The final task is no more difficult than those for the Yamamoto campaign. Commander XP earned is always at least equal to ship XP, never less, so one night playing to the third daily container is guaranteed to sort this out. Then you can proceed to…

Mission 3

image.png.8991659464c433f0dea08e3eca64c237.png

My advice here is to go for damaging engine modules, those on destroyers or light cruisers being the easiest to break. If you are running premium time and can take three tasks, you might also decide to take the aircraft-destruction task or – if your ship is an AA monster – prefer the aircraft destruction task to breaking engines. Lather, rinse, repeat. High Caliber in an aircraft carrier is a much bigger “ask” than when these missions first came out, due to the changed nature of carriers and the way they do damage, and prospective CV aces will have to judge for themselves how capable of this task they feel.

If you think you can pull off task 6, free port slots are worth their weight in gold (300 doubloons each at full price).

For the final task, 3000 free experience can be accumulated in one battle if you mount the right flags and camo and have a good result. Then you can proceed on to…

Mission 4

image.png.2fc044437ee8316140920e2d3f279604.png

Because I dragged my feet a lot on this campaign, I didn’t get to this point until I already had my first Tier 8 aircraft carrier. That’s when I noticed Task 4, which can be completed easily in a single random battle. Four repetitions will unlock the final task, whether your CV battles are excellent or wipeouts.

Otherwise I would strongly advise selecting Task 3 and targeting the sterns of destroyers and light cruisers, or Task 2 if you have a battleship or cruiser with strong AA (though this is dependent on there being a CV in the battle and it targeting you).

You will notice that the tasks here are almost laughably easy compared with some of the earlier ones; you are on the home stretch now. For the final task, 30K experience dovetails nicely with the Yamamoto XP tasks, and the two can be worked on together. When you are done, it’s time for…

Mission 5

image.png.8fae6bbddd6c0e2e83a0054bf4d97948.png

If you’ve made it this far, you are on the downhill stretch to the finish. Sure, most of what’s here is for Tier 10 – which if you’re a Tier 8 beginner is a long way and a lot of work off. But Task 2 is easily achievable by gambling some camos and flags, and four lots of this – win or lose – will get you to THE final task…

image.png.f148fc697cfcf10362f4984d3e950057.png

…which could not be any easier.

Mission 5 can be done in the space of FIVE battles, in one night. (If you are a very good player running premium time and have Tier 10 ships, it can POTENTIALLY be done in not more than two - Tasks 2, 5 and 7 in a T10 ship, and then the final battle to finish, but this presupposes being able to get such a result.)

Note that I have given you no overall time-frame for finishing this campaign. This is because it’s based on combat tasks, not on automatic completion by accumulating XP or credits, and war is a fickle beast even in pixel land. I was a struggling beginner when I started this, and even now (with many more ships at my disposal than when I started) I’m not the greatest player on earth. I’ve tried to show you a path through this campaign that even a struggling beginner can hope to negotiate, but there are too many variables – which ships you have, how well you do in them, etc. – for me to offer anything more than a general guide.

The prize is in your reach. You need only strive to take it.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 3

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,299 posts

Honestly, the Honorable Service campaign was not that onerous. It is the Yamamoto and Halsey campaigns where WG completely lost touch with reality. Those are just rinse and repeat on the handful of tasks that don't call for you to break Mt. Everest into pea gravel with a tack hammer during a full moon on a Friday the 13th in a leap year in which all nine planets of the solar system are aligned in the shape of Mt. Rushmore.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,818 posts
14,813 battles
5 minutes ago, Doombeagle said:

It is the Yamamoto and Halsey campaigns where WG completely lost touch with reality. Those are just rinse and repeat

That's also the upside. Play Tier 8+ randoms, set and forget, and both are yours (and Halsey can be done in co-op).

I need to finish up the Yamamoto missions and maybe collate them into one big post eventually.

Members
332 posts
14,118 battles

I've finished all but the Honorable Service Campaign and it has been a slow grind, mainly because I have not been in the mood to play T8+ randoms.  I forget if I'm on Mission 1 or Mission 2 (or further; can't see too well on my computer your Missions in the OP; my eyes mostly...lol), but I do crank out some credit towards a task or 2 on occasions.  Just seems like it has been taking me forever to get to the DD plumb at the end.  And, if another campaign comes out in the near future, this might go back to the sidelines until that one is completed.  I agree though; Halsey and Yamamoto were tough grinds.

[HELLS]
Members
2,704 posts
27,821 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

That's also the upside. Play Tier 8+ randoms, set and forget, and both are yours (and Halsey can be done in co-op).

I need to finish up the Yamamoto missions and maybe collate them into one big post eventually.

I got Halsey in solid co-op, nothing else. Yamamoto is tougher but I will eventually get there. On the last stages...The Shinonome DD campaign was a mixed bag but not all that difficult.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,818 posts
14,813 battles
10 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

The Shinonome DD campaign was a mixed bag but not all that difficult.

To an experienced player, no. To someone who rushed up their historically favourite line and got to T8 as soon as they humanly could? That might be another matter. That's the reason for these guides.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,478 posts
19,378 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

That's also the upside. Play Tier 8+ randoms, set and forget, and both are yours

^

Those are my favorite kinds of missions.

Members
8 posts
2,812 battles

Hello, this is a little off topic, but: I need some help and advice for the tasks and missions in general. If a player completes enough of the small tasks to complete the main mission, and does so, and collects the rewards, can they then come back at a later date to complete those tasks they skipped? I would like to finish these campaigns, and I noticed that there are medal awards for completing the campaign as well as a separate award for completing every task within the campaign. I'm something of a completionist, and I would hate to "finish" a mission the easiest way, and move on to the next with the intention of completing the extra tasks later, only to find out that I cannot go back and do the "extra" tasks. Thanks in advance for your time.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,818 posts
14,813 battles
17 hours ago, stonecoldtrooper said:

If a player completes enough of the small tasks to complete the main mission, and does so, and collects the rewards, can they then come back at a later date to complete those tasks they skipped?

Yes, they can.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,232 posts
4,663 battles

I'm stopped in all four campaigns at the mission that can only be done in Random mode.  No thank you.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,818 posts
14,813 battles
12 hours ago, iDuckman said:

I'm stopped in all four campaigns at the mission that can only be done in Random mode.  No thank you.

Since when were you a PvE-exclusive?

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,232 posts
4,663 battles
6 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Since when were you a PvE-exclusive?

Quite a while now.  Someday I'll play them for the missions, but there are other things to do now.