You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HallaSnackbar

T10 ranked

7 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
546 posts
6,347 battles

Is anyone having much success in T10 ranked with their CV's this season?   I gave it a go last night hoping to get to 10 (started at 14).  The Last season I was able to use my Midway I made to 10 pretty quickly so I felt it was a realistic goal.  In reality not so much.  

I tried my Hak and my Midway.  Now I'm no unicum but I would say I am better than average.   I maintain a 63% winrate in my Saipan which is one of the more difficult CV's to play.  I understand plane management and conservation,  target selection etc.  I am pretty accurate with ordinance drops as well so I don't think it's a skill issue.   I am just looking to see if everyone else is having a similar experience. 

Last night I played I think 8 games.  Started at 14.  It went as follows; 

Win, loss, win, loss, win, loss, loss, win.  Ended up at 13.  

Most games I finished middle of the pack, never was able to save a star.  One loss was a complete blowout with our team only killing 2 enemy ships both of which were my kills and I had 90k damage however I still came in 3rd on xp.  I never saw the opposing CV on top xp either.

The games seem to be going too fast for me to get any real damage done, lowest damage game was about 55k, highest just over 100 with a solo warrior achievement (still not top xp).  The games start off with both sides balled up with aa overlapping so much that a single drop of any Ordinance costs an entire squadron.   The two groups just sit like that until one side starts to crumble at which point it goes down hill really fast.  Basically it's about 5 min of ridiculous stacked aa followed by a 2 min race to get any damage in before everything is dead.  In short neither CV seems to be able to have much effect on the outcome. 

Just wondering if everyone else is having the same experience or if I could be doing something different. 

[RKLES]
Members
10,704 posts
12,355 battles

Everyone is trying to have at least some AA thanks to the presence of CVs in some of the battles. Also the reason my final 3 skill points on my Zao was BFT to allow me to better fight off planes in it. My Yammy has buffed AA, my Salem is of course an AA monster, I am using Gearing which of course carries enough AA to down planes while I smoke up as does my Shimakaze. But you Kléber is not getting much use thanks to how often there are CVs around, and it seems to draw the planes right to it.

Other players seem to be following same ideas I am which is bring the best things youhave to play Ranked with as long as it’s got enough AA to shoot down planes.

[DEV_X]
Supertester
2,204 posts
20,698 battles
1 hour ago, HallaSnackbar said:

Is anyone having much success in T10 ranked with their CV's this season?   I gave it a go last night hoping to get to 10 (started at 14).  The Last season I was able to use my Midway I made to 10 pretty quickly so I felt it was a realistic goal.  In reality not so much.  

I tried my Hak and my Midway.  Now I'm no unicum but I would say I am better than average.   I maintain a 63% winrate in my Saipan which is one of the more difficult CV's to play.  I understand plane management and conservation,  target selection etc.  I am pretty accurate with ordinance drops as well so I don't think it's a skill issue.   I am just looking to see if everyone else is having a similar experience. 

Last night I played I think 8 games.  Started at 14.  It went as follows; 

Win, loss, win, loss, win, loss, loss, win.  Ended up at 13.  

Most games I finished middle of the pack, never was able to save a star.  One loss was a complete blowout with our team only killing 2 enemy ships both of which were my kills and I had 90k damage however I still came in 3rd on xp.  I never saw the opposing CV on top xp either.

The games seem to be going too fast for me to get any real damage done, lowest damage game was about 55k, highest just over 100 with a solo warrior achievement (still not top xp).  The games start off with both sides balled up with aa overlapping so much that a single drop of any Ordinance costs an entire squadron.   The two groups just sit like that until one side starts to crumble at which point it goes down hill really fast.  Basically it's about 5 min of ridiculous stacked aa followed by a 2 min race to get any damage in before everything is dead.  In short neither CV seems to be able to have much effect on the outcome. 

Just wondering if everyone else is having the same experience or if I could be doing something different. 

Honestly, I think it's working as inteded. CVs can be powerhouses but its reliant on your team as well as the enemy team. Just like it's easier to do awesome in a BB when the enemy cruisers park broadside, you're really counting on bad positioning by the enemy to do your best.

With great teams you're going to only add some damage here and there while horrible teams wont let you get much done because they die to fast. Mediocre teams are where it's at for damage numbers. 

The same is true for randoms. The worse the enemy plays the better off you are but that's also true of the friendly team to an extent.

I think that's sort of a reflection of decent balance though. If you were keeping a star everytime it wouldnt be fair if it was easy.

Edited by Skuggsja

[TASH]
Members
5,174 posts
10,941 battles

CVs don't seem to be too good for carrying unless you star save.  Midway is really good at just crapping on BBs and DDs, Hakuryu just screws everything over and Audacious is meh.

If you want my advice, I would play something more specialized for either carrying or star farming.

I've been playing Kleber and Venezia and so far I have over 80% WR cumulative throughout the season.  Venezia is insane for star saving and crossfiring/punishing, while Kleber is just flat out broken even if there's a CV because it just is so hard to kill and it can win a free cap basically due to it being more than 10 knots faster than any other DD.

unknown.png

Edited by ValkyrWarframe

[POP]
Members
546 posts
6,347 battles
1 hour ago, Skuggsja said:

think that's sort of a reflection of decent balance though. If you were keeping a star everytime it wouldnt be fair if it was easy.

I get what you are saying however it seems near impossible to save a star now in a CV.  That is not balance. 

As for all the other replies, thanks.  Still waiting to hear from anyone who has actually played a CV in this season's ranked.

[PQUOD]
Members
3,044 posts
11,657 battles
37 minutes ago, HallaSnackbar said:

As for all the other replies, thanks.  Still waiting to hear from anyone who has actually played a CV in this season's ranked

I played CV some. The only T10 CV I have is the Midway. Actually some of the other posters nailed it. It depends on your team and the enemy team.

I seemed to trend better in it in the mornings. Moved up two stars with solid wins. Not so much at night. Eventually I just turned to my Montana. It seemed the most forgiving. 

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776
  • Cool 1

[DEV_X]
Supertester
2,204 posts
20,698 battles
51 minutes ago, HallaSnackbar said:

I get what you are saying however it seems near impossible to save a star now in a CV.  That is not balance. 

I agree but I dont know how you fix that. Being that the majority of experience is based on damage they'd have to up the CV alpha damage which would throw everything into disarray aside from rewarding other elements more.

I did play two Midway games and I think I got 50k and 80k damage or something. Just not feeling the CV vibe this time. Last time they allowed carriers I played Audacious to Rank 5 but after that it felt worthless.

Edited by Skuggsja
  • Cool 1