You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
pham_bender

Karma Change

18 comments in this topic

[P_P]
Members
2 posts
12,323 battles

I find the karma system to be frustrating. Players report you for not following their pings and suggested strategy and for what they consider bad play.

You are limited (to 7 per day I believe) in the number of reports whether positive or negative.

Perhaps only positive reports should be limited to 7. But negative reports should remove 1/2 point of karma from the player being reported and the player reporting. That way there is a cost to reporting. One would have to earn some good karma to get the right to report others. Only the better and more positive players with standing would have the karma to report. Maybe they would do it only when it is a real offense.

I think this is more like real life. There is usually a nominal cost to reporting others offenses.  

Just an idea.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[PSFL]
Members
35 posts
13,774 battles

Karma does not affect the game so don't even worry about it.

Just do your best and have fun!

• Cool 1

[BOTO]
Members
1,311 posts
15,836 battles
17 minutes ago, pham_bender said:

I find the karma system to be frustrating. Players report you for not following their pings and suggested strategy and for what they consider bad play.

You are limited (to 7 per day I believe) in the number of reports whether positive or negative.

Perhaps only positive reports should be limited to 7. But negative reports should remove 1/2 point of karma from the player being reported and the player reporting. That way there is a cost to reporting. One would have to earn some good karma to get the right to report others. Only the better and more positive players with standing would have the karma to report. Maybe they would do it only when it is a real offense.

I think this is more like real life. There is usually a nominal cost to reporting others offenses.  

Just an idea.

At the end of the day karma is irrelevant.  It only matters if you decide it matters.  

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,599 posts
11,914 battles

I love stacking 7 on that salty player.  

[P_P]
Members
2 posts
12,323 battles

Does WOW track the reports? In games, you constantly see players requesting that players be reported. Often it is for being AFK. 

My suggestion might give more weight to these reports. Perhaps it would track toxic players better. I would hope these players would lose their kharma and no longer be able to report others. 

My karma is not that big of an issue to me, just frustrating, especially in ranked.

[KSC]
Supertester
2,263 posts
13,901 battles
23 minutes ago, Nachoo31 said:

I love stacking 7 on that salty player.  

Did you not know that the game only counts the first one from each player in a match.   So doesn't matter if you pile 2-7 on one person, their karma only goes down 1, their chatban only moves up by 1 and back in port they only see they got reported one time.   

Better to save the other 6 for the next 6 salty folks.

Edited by SyndicatedINC
  • Cool 2

[YETI]
[YETI]
Members
544 posts
12,388 battles
1 hour ago, pham_bender said:

Does WOW track the reports? In games, you constantly see players requesting that players be reported. Often it is for being AFK. 

My suggestion might give more weight to these reports. Perhaps it would track toxic players better. I would hope these players would lose their kharma and no longer be able to report others. 

My karma is not that big of an issue to me, just frustrating, especially in ranked.

Stop being frustrated by something that means nothing.  I always get confused when people say report a player for being AFK.  Sometimes things happen or they have a slow computer so I wont blame people for that and also reporting them wont do anything anyway.  There are automatic things to make them pink if they are afk so reporting is a waste of time

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
1,212 posts
16,540 battles

Oh my, look at all these peasants who only have 7 reports per day.

• Funny 1

[WOLFG]
Members
10,033 posts
9,074 battles
Just now, grumpymunky said:

How many is the maximum you can have?

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
1,212 posts
16,540 battles
2 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

How many is the maximum you can have?

image.png.1ef15befbe55cbd18cf44ff52d84e97b.png

• Cool 2

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,599 posts
11,914 battles
On 12/9/2019 at 11:04 AM, grumpymunky said:

I just said 7.. think I have 10.  oh.. 11... lol

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,270 posts
On 12/9/2019 at 11:09 AM, DrHolmes52 said:

Ty.  Have a little forum Karma.

Forum reputation is the only thing I'm interested in because it reflects how people react to what I've thought and written, not how they have perceived me play a video game. 

[PQUOD]
Members
2,386 posts
5,096 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

Forum reputation is the only thing I'm interested in because it reflects how people react to what I've thought and written, not how they have perceived me play a video game. 

Interesting they don't let us take forum rep away but they are cool with it happening in the game and making people miserable.

Whether or not karma is "important" in any shape or form doesn't change that losing it annoys people.

[TWBNS]
Members
264 posts
13,183 battles

I had a game last night in which the enemy was attempting to push up through a cap and I found a spot behind an island with a little cutout that I could shoot through.  I held off the push, killed two ships, got 130k damage, and the rest of the team STILL managed to lose and it cost me three karma points.  I dunno, maybe all three of them were from someone on the enemy team. In another, there was an enemy attempt to push around the left towards my team's cap.  I set up at a headland and spent the game discouraging the lot from coming around.  Same sort of results for me, though.  I am sure that I got dinged in both cases for "camping," which in both cases was exactly the right thing for me to do.  I think that the karma system should be scrapped.  It performs no useful function that I can see other than to allow the guy with the superiority complex that is always in the game to substitute his perhaps inferior tactical judgment for those of another player, and to vent his spleen.  It is also a useful way for jerks to express anger at someone for deleting them or (this is my favorite) "stealing their kill."  The silly karma system puts one's reputation at risk from friends and enemies alike.  It has been my experience in this game that there are always far more people willing to lob criticism than to praise others. 

[TWBNS]
Members
264 posts
13,183 battles
On 12/10/2019 at 1:08 PM, xalmgrey said:

Interesting they don't let us take forum rep away but they are cool with it happening in the game and making people miserable.

Whether or not karma is "important" in any shape or form doesn't change that losing it annoys people.

Excellent observations.