You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

How Good is the Puerto Rico?

24 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,450 posts
19,366 battles

I found her to be capable and comfortable but not exceptional during playtesting. Of course, in the eyes of this forum 'mediocre' is the same thing as 'horrible' and 'not worth it'.

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
Members
12,554 posts
14,283 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

I found her to be capable and comfortable but not exceptional during playtesting. Of course, in the eyes of this forum 'mediocre' is the same thing as 'horrible' and 'not worth it'.

So she likely will not outclass Yoshino then? I have been planning to get Yoshino on the 26th when resources coupon resets, and last thing I would want is Yoshino’s role suddenly taken before I even get her. After seeing the high cost of  Puerto Rico, it suddenly made me a bit nervous.

[DVYJC]
Members
3,277 posts
7,200 battles
14 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

So she likely will not outclass Yoshino then? I have been planning to get Yoshino on the 26th when resources coupon resets, and last thing I would want is Yoshino’s role suddenly taken before I even get her. After seeing the high cost of  Puerto Rico, it suddenly made me a bit nervous.

I think like her guns will need to be really good to make up for the lack of torpedoes. I don't really think Alaska meets that bar to me, even at Tier IX.

[BUOY]
Members
1,071 posts
14,794 battles
8 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

PR and Yoshi take up very different niches, PR will compete more with the Balansgrad in being able to push and do utility things while the Yoshi will remain the King of Kiters with railguns, 20km torps and being the AntiSmolensk when it comes to BB AP.

• Cool 3

[RKLES]
Members
12,554 posts
14,283 battles
5 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I think like her guns will need to be really good to make up for the lack of torpedoes. I don't really think Alaska meets that bar to me, even at Tier IX.

Yeah I barely have even looked at Alaska thanks to my having Missouri which can fill the role, and do the job better than Alaska. Which ironically was exactly what happened in real life where Iowa class was spared and Alaska class was scrapped.

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
840 posts
10,091 battles

Alaska is a good cruiser, enjoy playing her so I will try to get a free PR also and they can probably share a captain. I have seen some vids and PR seems like it is a decent boat, not great but not terrible. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,450 posts
19,366 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

So she likely will not outclass Yoshino then?

Different role / play style. Puerto Rico is to Alaska what Montana is to Iowa. I had more fun playtesting Puerto Rico than Yoshino, but your mileage may vary, depending on what play style you enjoy.

[RKLES]
Members
12,554 posts
14,283 battles
3 minutes ago, Lert said:

Different role / play style. Puerto Rico is to Alaska what Montana is to Iowa. I had more fun playtesting Puerto Rico than Yoshino, but your mileage may vary, depending on what play style you enjoy.

I am wanting long ranged fire starter that I fire a salvo or two and I get fires started and just work across the enemy BB and CA lines until I have a lot of fire damage rolling in. Also having long ranged torpedoes to back up the fires is nice as well. Currently using Zao which is built for longest possible range it can get to accomplish this role for me as needed. But hoping Yoshino can take it’s place so that Zao can mount its Legendary which I have heard is really good, but would shave some kilometers off its current range.

Puerto Rico sounds like yet another ship I can used my 19 point Missouri captain on, so I could use it for the USN Large CA role if I wind up with it. Which likely will be DD hunting, being a floating no fly zone, hunting CAs, anda little harassing of BBs if I have to, but with no torpedoes outright killing of BBs will be more difficult and time consuming in Puerto Rico. But I have Salem and am grinding for Des Moines, so USN X CVs will be well covered.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,450 posts
19,366 battles
6 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I am wanting long ranged fire starter that I fire a salvo or two and I get fires started and just work across the enemy BB and CA lines until I have a lot of fire damage rolling in. Also having long ranged torpedoes to back up the fires is nice as well. Currently using Zao which is built for longest possible range it can get to accomplish this role for me as needed. But hoping Yoshino can take it’s place so that Zao can mount its Legendary which I have heard is really good, but would shave some kilometers off its current range.

Yoshino does that.

Puerto Rico is more of a team player with her consumable set and 12 guns with heavy, slow US AP.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,170 posts
16,262 battles
4 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

With the high cost of the Puerto Rico I am more than a little curious about how strong it will be?

Did a search of the forums and yours was the only thread on the subject  OTH  youtube had a bit more  

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,170 posts
16,262 battles

The building of the  Puerto Rico  looks :etc_swear: interesting as wellgiphy.gif

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
5,446 posts
16,518 battles
5 hours ago, Lert said:

Alaska is more of a team player with her consumable set and 12 guns with heavy, slow US AP.

I assume you meant to say PR, not Alaska

Edited by Sabot_100

[CVA16]
Members
5,446 posts
16,518 battles
8 hours ago, Lert said:

Of course, in the eyes of this forum 'mediocre' is the same thing as 'horrible' and 'not worth it'.

True. But the cost of getting the ship can shift the forum opinion a bit.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,450 posts
19,366 battles
4 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

I assume you meant to say PR, not Alaska

Correct.

[SFBG]
Members
90 posts
16,048 battles

I broke down and picked up the PR. She's got some good guns and can take a hit. But, she can't fight on her own as I've been having to do a lot. There are many who see the PR and razz ya about it and then run away so you have to fight on your own. They will even sit back and watch you taking the hits and fighting too many ships without firing a supportive role. Right now the only thing she's good for is in Co-op and ranked because there will be support for ya in that win. If you break down and pick her up you too will find out the cost that it will cost ya in randoms because you will have to fight on your own even when your in a group. All will leave you to take all the hits. Jealousy is all that is from what I can see. But, i'll not take this ship into Randoms for a while unless in Div with Clan mates.

[R-F]
Members
137 posts
9,196 battles

And WG will keep doing the same types of events in the future thing because people are willing to give over an obscene amount of money for a single ship...

• Cool 1

Members
74 posts
9,299 battles

Got the PR a few days ago - reached stage 6 and then took her for 15k gold - and I must say I don't like how she plays after a dozen games.  Reload is WAYYYY too long at 22s (compared to all other heavy cruisers sitting at 18s), and since you need to be kind of far of any engagements because she isn't nibble, you can't really use those 12 guns with AP to show your presence - and when you do you'll either bounce/ricochet or over-pen and maybe 1 cit if you're lucky.  So you fall back to use HE 95% of the time which doesn't really produce good damage since (BB) dispersion nullifies anything the 12 guns should bring you.  AP rounds are mostly useless unless you're under 15km but then, everyone and their dogs will put you on fire for the rest of the game.   In randoms, she needs a lot of support - just like the Moskva - but when supported she can be a game changer.

I am really wondering why this ship was introduced with those specs.  Besides having a lot of customization to help in specific roles, if your team turns on you and leave you dry (in randoms), you're almost as good as dead.

Members
63 posts
5,403 battles

I had kids over holiday break playing 12 hours a day for two weeks to gain enough boosts to get the PR. Slow turret rotation has you plan ahead your route. The shot dispersion should be altered by WofW (please-please-please) as you waste 60% unless you chance side to side against your opponent. Slow reload is compensated by selective turret fire. Definitely spend Game Coin and Commander Points to upgrade.  I find it's a good killer against all, but if you don't keep track of opponents, you're toast. I'd give this Barge an B+.

[SKI]
Members
248 posts
49,058 battles

Bought it the first day....today I finished the 5th Mission in the 7th Directive, and finally made the Hall of Fame.....

After over 200 battles in it, here's what I think....

ditch the radar, it'll just get you dead trying to get close enough to use it, mount the spotting plane, and Hydro, take BOTH rudder perks, and the Reload in the Modules,

and Concealment in your captains Points...you'll need Main Arms Mod 1 and Preventative Maintenance BOTH, cause the Turret Towers are Thinner than the Alaska's and they get ruined...

I use Halsey on mine to Facilitate the turret turning a bit....that'll give you 14.5 Concealment,.... I run-n-gun it beyond that....you'll absolutely NEED the Dispersion in your modules also....also use AR and SE, High alert, and Superintendent.....don't bother playing it without a Speed flag, heal flag, and Fire flag....

set up this way, it's fast, fun and NASTY....Good Luck

I will also say that I think it's the best cruiser in the game....and I have them all....in 8 games so far today, 5 were wins....

DISCLAIMER :  this is MY OPINION......do what you want, this works for me  YMMV

Edited by GunBoatz

[GOBI]
Members
1,085 posts
4,456 battles

I have only played 13 co op games with PR, but so far am liking it. Above advice is good, as I have yet to use radar. Have not mounted a spotter yet, that's next. Or steering gears... Only using 11 point Captain.

Members
39 posts
11,990 battles

cant really ask for much out of a free (wink wink) t10 cruiser. to be honest the boat plays like a zao. i would just play my zao if i want to play LIKE a zao..lol it wasn't worth the 50k plus or even 20k plus gold. but hey its another t10 right..!