Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Capt_Ahab1776

Smolensk

11 comments in this topic

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,639 posts
12,791 battles

What are some good tips for the Smolensk as far as play. I finally got it and has been kind of meh performance. I know it can really sing when in the right hands. 

Thanks in advance

[90TH]
Members
1,107 posts
10,013 battles

I’m no unicum but some basic points:

I have a special captain just for Smolensk, because the captain skills make a huge difference: Range mod + AFT puts you at a distance where smoke is a nice-to-have more than a necessity, and SI gives you a third smoke.  I also run concealment but some do not, and IFHE. You need a high point captain to do all that but AFT+IFHE+ range mod is the spine of Smolensk OP-ness, letting you keep the game balanced out to 19km.

You depend on teammates for spotting and tanking so don’t venture from the pack.  Your job is to add DPM to whatever your teammates engage.  You’re also great at stopping a Kleber push...

Then what’s so hard? Laser arcs hit anything within your range... just remember you have DD guns, so aim for superstructure.  3-5k volleys every few seconds is terrifying to any ship. Make sure you wiggle in the smoke; you’re not invulnerable.  When smoke’s out either kite at max range or use an island. Your shallow arcs are not ideal for island humping but it’s doable with correct positioning.

If you’re having trouble with survival, stay further away, stay with teammates, in smoke stay moving, reverse, turn.  Anticipate torps but you should usually have teammates between you and the enemy to spot them.

If you’re surviving but not damaging much, then it’s positioning to have targets... less island humping more range. Stay with teammates who will spot/engage targets.

Edited by n00bot
  • Cool 4

[5D]
Members
895 posts
11,514 battles

See comrade smolensk is not op at all it doesn't make average player unicum ....

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
9,291 posts
16,150 battles

More of the population is learning to defend against it in randoms, but the bots in Co op haven't learned yet.

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,639 posts
12,791 battles
9 hours ago, n00bot said:

I’m no unicum but some basic points:

I have a special captain just for Smolensk, because the captain skills make a huge difference: Range mod + AFT puts you at a distance where smoke is a nice-to-have more than a necessity, and SI gives you a third smoke.  I also run concealment but some do not, and IFHE. You need a high point captain to do all that but AFT+IFHE+ range mod is the spine of Smolensk OP-ness, letting you keep the game balanced out to 19km.

You depend on teammates for spotting and tanking so don’t venture from the pack.  Your job is to add DPM to whatever your teammates engage.  You’re also great at stopping a Kleber push...

Then what’s so hard? Laser arcs hit anything within your range... just remember you have DD guns, so aim for superstructure.  3-5k volleys every few seconds is terrifying to any ship. Make sure you wiggle in the smoke; you’re not invulnerable.  When smoke’s out either kite at max range or use an island. Your shallow arcs are not ideal for island humping but it’s doable with correct positioning.

If you’re having trouble with survival, stay further away, stay with teammates, in smoke stay moving, reverse, turn.  Anticipate torps but you should usually have teammates between you and the enemy to spot them.

If you’re surviving but not damaging much, then it’s positioning to have targets... less island humping more range. Stay with teammates who will spot/engage targets.

Thank you

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,639 posts
12,791 battles
8 hours ago, dad003 said:

See comrade smolensk is not op at all it doesn't make average player unicum ....

Your correct about that. I have played against them, they fold if caught out in the open. I have a clan mate that gets stupid stronk numbers everytime he takes it out. I'm not a good cruiser Captain, actually a poor one. Just I'm a coal miner when it comes to the containers. Figured I'd see what all the fuss was about. I do know it can get ridiculous damage in the right hands. So, I do take responsibility for having poor performance in it.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,639 posts
12,791 battles
4 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

More of the population is learning to defend against it in randoms, but the bots in Co op haven't learned yet.

As poor of a cruiser Captain I am, the Salem is a blast in Co-op lol

[RKLES]
Members
11,295 posts
12,715 battles
3 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

As poor of a cruiser Captain I am, the Salem is a blast in Co-op lol

Yeah Salem has nice armor for a Cruiser, good guns, great AA, more compactly sized than some X CAs, and it gets very nice super heals.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1
  • Cool 1

[VW]
Members
357 posts
On 12/9/2019 at 2:51 AM, dad003 said:

Yes, the ship, in terms of potential damage it can inflict, make it an OP ship.  BUT, it replies heavily on team play, which is garbage in the game.  This makes the ship average at best.  One of the worst high tier win rate ships I have, and one of the best damage farmer non-BB.

[CVA16]
Members
4,445 posts
13,794 battles
On 12/9/2019 at 11:17 AM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah Salem has nice armor for a Cruiser, good guns, great AA, more compactly sized than some X CAs, and it gets very nice super heals.

YRMV, But for the average player, Salem sits firmly at the bottom of the T10 cruiser rankings. A full 10% lower WR and 70% of the avg damage of the OP Stalingrad. Of course WG did just buff the radar slightly so it may be a bigger help to its team now, so maybe it will climb up to Des Moines levels of success. :Smile_trollface:

Sign in to follow this