Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Countershot

Enough doubloons for one ship

18 comments in this topic

[ARB]
Members
12 posts
9,609 battles

Ok, I know this is a loaded question. 

Which of the tier 8 ships is the best bang for the doubloons......i have enough now for one of them. any suggestions would be great. Thank you

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,234 posts
4,119 battles
1 minute ago, Countershot said:

hmmm the kidd is the on e i dont have in that list.....lol

Sounds like you have a collection already:Smile_teethhappy:

Alabama is solid, but if you have a Mass, you're not getting anything much different.

Kidd is unique, up to you whether you want it. How much do you hate CVs?

Forget if Loyang is available right now, but it's a solid ship. Asashio is...interesting. Also Nelski (Lenin). 

Just some ideas.

• Cool 1

[-OG-]
Members
283 posts
7,953 battles

I know not everyone will agree but my personal favourite T8 ship is the Vanguard, accurate guns with AP penetration angles similar to the Des Moines and unlike the rest of the British battleships Vanguard gets regular Armour Piercing rounds. And while she does have a very vulnerable citadel and only 32mm of armour everywhere else she also gets a 7.2s rudder shift time. I have cheesed the crap out of Yamato's hoping to score an easy kill on the Vanguard. She also gets the fastest(?) reloading 15" guns in the game with only 25s and that can be boosted by the Adrenaline rush perk. It's not uncommon to have a 22-20s reload time on the Vanguard along with amazing concealment, decent HE rounds and an improved heal that restores more damage than ships of other nations. Her AA is decent, nothing spectacular but she does have the ability to stand up to aviation and dodge their attacks. So yeah in my humble opinion I think that the Vanguard is the best bang for the buck.

[NG-NL]
Members
6,178 posts
9,835 battles
30 minutes ago, Countershot said:

Which of the tier 8 ships is the best bang for the doubloons......i have enough now for one of them. any suggestions would be great. Thank you

Choosing one for fun? Future captain trainer? Any class preferences?

Tirpitz/Kidd/Atago/Massa are pretty much the top choices from in-game. Lo Yang has become rarer. Alabama is rare too since aside from stronger TDS, it's a NC clone.

I'd watch gameplay vids of the premium ships to help you decide. Tirpitz is my first T8 premium, works well if like secondary-spec BB for brawls.

It's a pity you cannot trade doubloons for coal--Armory has some great Coal ships.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,864 posts
21,784 battles

Asashio drives and plays alot like a Kamikaze R to me. She handles herself well even with the radar meta.

Atago is a solid, all around ship. Fun to drive.

Those two are my favorites with Tirpitz, Prinz Eugen, Kidd, Cossack, and Gascogne also in port.

[ARB]
Members
12 posts
9,609 battles
22 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Choosing one for fun? Future captain trainer? Any class preferences?

Future captain trainer but mainly fun. No class preference. But like to play DD and CA....but enjoy a good brawl on BB.  CV cancer

I have a good fair collection of ships. The kidd, prince I don't have

Edited by Countershot

[-N-]
Beta Testers
152 posts
3,686 battles
6 minutes ago, Countershot said:

Future captain trainer but mainly fun. No class preference. But like to play DD and CA....but enjoy a good brawl on BB.  CV cancer

I have a good fair collection of ships. The kidd, prince I don't have

i say wait for oden

its a tirpitz/bismarck/scharnhorst all in 1

[NG-NL]
Members
6,178 posts
9,835 battles

Tirp/Massa if like to brawl.

Prince Eugen is pretty good if play CA in support role. Own her, she's a good German CA captain trainer.

No opinion to offer on DDs since don't have premium ones.

Atago's a solid IJN BB/CA trainer. If get used to the stealth part, she's reasonably fun--just doesn't uptier too well with that limited MB range.

There aren't any T8 CVs you can buy aside from Graf Zeppelin, and she takes some effort to use well.

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,644 posts

Mass, Tirp or 'Bama.

If youre getting a T8 prem, and not mentioning classes or similar, youre probably after a credit earner, and survivability = credits. hence my selection of pure BBs.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,025 posts
22,709 battles
1 hour ago, Countershot said:

We are so close to Christmas that it is probably better if you hold off spending your doubloons. You may need them for the Puerto Rico build or there COULD be a sale on doubloon ships in Armory this time around. The last several years during the holidays, Wargaming gave big discounts on tech tree premium ships (30-50% off) when purchased with doubloons. Honestly wait and see what happens, you can always buy a full priced one later one if nothing goes on sale that tickles your fancy. 

• Cool 1

[EQRN]
Members
2,052 posts
17,819 battles

In the past xmas's, they have had doubloon ship discounts.  I'd wait.  Doubloon ships also don't come with port slots, so hopefully you have one to spare, or tack on 300 more doubloons to the cost (port slots should also go on sale later).

Sign in to follow this