You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BanCVComplainers

Alsace has the best secondaries in the game IMO

16 comments in this topic

[NH]
Members
1,785 posts

I used nothing but HE shells. Note the DD in the screenshot bumping me at the end. He had 16HP and was trying to give me an disciplinary penalty from rubbing him.

image.thumb.png.83773151272bf381987a262c15db8219.png

image.thumb.png.274da43b8d2350271eaaa6e794074605.png

Edited by Dr_Citadel
  • Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,806 posts

She sure has a lot of them.  I like to play her too. They are rather drunk though and tend to miss a LOT.  I had screen shot with some crazy number secondary hits in my Mass :Smile_trollface:.

I did a game reinstall a long while ago though and didn't know it would trash my screen shot folder :Smile_sceptic:

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,090 posts
20,963 battles

Republique is the one I prefer. 

Mass, Georgia and germans also have very good secondaries. 

Alsace was such a good breast before nerf.

• Cool 3

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,203 posts
9,526 battles

The secondaries on the Alsace is just too fragile to be of reliable use every game. Often times I find one broadside being wiped clean of secondaries because the 100mm mounts can't withstand the HE spams

[POP]
Members
1,573 posts
22,764 battles
8 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

The secondaries on the Alsace is just too fragile to be of reliable use every game. Often times I find one broadside being wiped clean of secondaries because the 100mm mounts can't withstand the HE spams

I have noticed this too, French secondaries at high tiers are pretty fragile for the most part.

[NFJF]
Members
672 posts
9,987 battles

This probably goes without saying, but at least IMO the secondary's on the Bourgogne "and repub" are noticeably better.  The Repub and Bourgogne get the 127mm guns, which load a little slower, but do more damage and also have a better fire chance. The 152mm guns on the Alsace also reload about 4 second slower, and she only gets 100mm guns vs 127mm.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,556 posts
24,067 battles
16 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Alsace was such a good breast before nerf.

We like those too!

I wouldn't say Alsace has the best Secondaries in the game but she competes with the best.  You still got GK and Republique at Tier X.  Massachusetts & Georgia also.

The main failing of Alsace's secondaries is a high reliance on very low pen 100mm guns.  Without IFHE, they can't even Pen Battleship superstructure.  But the ROF is super fast and Alsace carries lots of guns.  I know there's 2 trains of thought with her Secondaries.

1.  IFHE for the Secondaries, but it's very costly.  Possibly supplement with DE also (DE replacing BFT), but either way, it's very expensive on a build.

2.  Just rely on DE and pray for fires, not use the 4pts for IFHE and use the points elsewhere.

But the sheer amount of Secondary guns and the ROF they have makes Alsace pretty daunting with them.

Republique has 127mm guns, so she has decent, built in HE Pen.  She also has very good fire chances on her secondaries.

GK has tons of guns with very high HE Pen capability.  A few go nuts and do IFHE GK Secondaries.

The Massachusetts / Georgia style of secondaries are very accurate, and if you got Manual Secondaries, even nastier.

• Confused 1

[NH]
Members
1,785 posts
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

We like those too!

I wouldn't say Alsace has the best Secondaries in the game but she competes with the best.  You still got GK and Republique at Tier X.  Massachusetts & Georgia also.

The main failing of Alsace's secondaries is a high reliance on very low pen 100mm guns.  Without IFHE, they can't even Pen Battleship superstructure.  But the ROF is super fast and Alsace carries lots of guns.  I know there's 2 trains of thought with her Secondaries.

1.  IFHE for the Secondaries, but it's very costly.  Possibly supplement with DE also (DE replacing BFT), but either way, it's very expensive on a build.

2.  Just rely on DE and pray for fires, not use the 4pts for IFHE and use the points elsewhere.

But the sheer amount of Secondary guns and the ROF they have makes Alsace pretty daunting with them.

Republique has 127mm guns, so she has decent, built in HE Pen.  She also has very good fire chances on her secondaries.

GK has tons of guns with very high HE Pen capability.  A few go nuts and do IFHE GK Secondaries.

The Massachusetts / Georgia style of secondaries are very accurate, and if you got Manual Secondaries, even nastier.

Since the secondary guns of I believe all ships aim for the mid section then you have to know the most you will get is 2 fires unless you get extremely lucky. If somebody is running fire prevention then you can only count on getting 1. This is why I prefer to run IFHE. Most people dont know that if they are running fire prevention when the first fire is set to the mid section that it looks like 2 are burning. 

[WORX]
Members
11,137 posts
18,750 battles

Right now, IMO, The Massachusetts secondaries are the top dog in the game right now... 

All other ships secondaries, take their place behind it.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,556 posts
24,067 battles
6 hours ago, Dr_Citadel said:

Since the secondary guns of I believe all ships aim for the mid section then you have to know the most you will get is 2 fires unless you get extremely lucky. If somebody is running fire prevention then you can only count on getting 1. This is why I prefer to run IFHE. Most people dont know that if they are running fire prevention when the first fire is set to the mid section that it looks like 2 are burning. 

Here's a trick I learned with Secondaries.

Don't get too close to the target.  Let the natural dispersion, arcing shells hit more of the ship.  If you get too close to another ship of Cruiser or larger size, your secondaries will only hit the Armor Belt and non-pen.  If you got a long range Mega Secondaries BB, avoid the close range, 6km or less fight if you want the Secondaries to do more work.  Shells will hit the deck, hull sides, some will scatter to the bow, superstructure, depending on the angles.

As for IFHE, I chose IFHE + DE + AFT + Manual Secondaries for my finalized Secondaries Build for Alsace.  I used to have BFT, but I swapped it out for DE.  I made that switch because when the FR BB Line released and I got Alsace, I had a significant thing happen in a Random game.  I was brawling with a Missouri player and my Secondaries results were this:

cPwEmxf.jpg

275 Secondary Battery hits on Missouri for 726 HE shell damage.  The Fires were a bigger threat than the direct shell damage.

I will admit, I did not know how HE Penetration worked at the time.  I did not know that 100mm HE can't even Penetrate the 19mm Superstructure of High Tier BBs.  I only found out how this worked after that even against Missouri.  I had to find out why, despite having BFT, AFT, Manual Secondaries, SBM upgrade, I did 726 damage with 275 Secondary hits.

That's when I altered my build.  But to do so, I had to give up CE, which is a must for me even in my BBs.  Fire damage is nice if you can get it, but it's unreliable.  Even with a "Fire Breather" ship like Conqueror, I have had games where I only got 1-2 fires despite lots of hits.  Direct shell damage helps.  You're less dependent on RNG bailing you out.