You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
wolfman757

ok so...I bought a Carrier

28 comments in this topic

Members
147 posts
732 battles

And i discovered that I totally suk at (1) torpedoing a enemy ship from the air (2) I'm really great at torpedoing my own team from the air (3) my bombs always miss (4) my attack aircraft are the only ones I'm any good at (5) my fighters suk at defending the carrier when I'm not there

I sold it and bought a cruiser lol

• Funny 2

[WOLFC]
Members
1,809 posts
9,862 battles

Contrary to what many posters on this forum will tell you, carriers are not “easy mode.” They take a lot of practice to use effectively, in no small part because in many ways they require a completely different skill set.

• Cool 15
  • Boring 1

Beta Testers
363 posts
12,391 battles

Welcome to the aerial menace that will end WoWS in a flurry of abandoned accounts - if you believe the worst of the forum posters.

26 minutes ago, wolfman757 said:

And i discovered that I totally suk at (1) torpedoing a enemy ship from the air (2) I'm really great at torpedoing my own team from the air (3) my bombs always miss (4) my attack aircraft are the only ones I'm any good at (5) my fighters suk at defending the carrier when I'm not there

...to be fair, you are VERY new to WoWS, with less than a hundred games in total, and you've only played three games in your Langley.  You do have very impressive statistics, but it's a bit prideful to assume you'll automatically play perfectly the first time you give it a try.

24 minutes ago, wolfman757 said:

...Well, carrier gameplay isn't for everyone.  If you enjoy cruisers more, play cruisers - WoWS is a game, not a job.

• Cool 5

[LOIN]
Supertester
819 posts

I reset my U.S carrier line, and finished recently finished the regrind. I did the rest because I figured since I don't have any destroyer lines done (I can't reset any of those due none of them being started), it would be the shortest to do. Well didn't fully realize how expensive they were, at the time. I start the regrind and I now regret doing that line again. So, I'm now instead going to regrind the British battleship line I love British and U.S battleships and I enjoyed ( exception of the Monarch) the entire British battleship line, so I rested that and I've now began the regrind.

If I did my math right, when I complete the British battleship regrind and one other line I should have enough for Ohio.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,270 posts

Carriers are probably the main reason that I still play WOWS. I was getting bored before the carrier rework and believe that it has injected some much-needed new life into the game. It's going to be interesting in a few months when people will be up in arms about subs and the anti-carrier threads will be all but forgotten. In fact, then there will probably be calls for more carrier drivers to spot the new subs and discussion as to how they might best to accomplish this task. 

• Cool 3
  • Boring 3

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,097 posts
21,007 battles

You didn't buy the right carrier.

At t4 the IJN is king.

Royal Navy is easy mode.

US you really have to work at it.

For premium CV'S the Kaga is noob friendly,  but vs t9 & t10 the planes melt

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,197 posts
4,663 battles
1 hour ago, wolfman757 said:

Welcome, but wrong response.  I totally suck are carriers (though I did manage to land a torp on a slow-[edited]BB the game before last).  But it was kinda fun, and I'll play one again next year.

See, the thing is.  You probably suck that hard at cruisers, too.  You just don't know it yet. 

:Smile_child:

• Funny 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,689 posts
14,288 battles
14 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Carriers are probably the main reason that I still play WOWS. I was getting bored before the carrier rework and believe that it has injected some much-needed new life into the game. It's going to be interesting in a few months when people will be up in arms about subs and the anti-carrier threads will be all but forgotten. In fact, then there will probably be calls for more carrier drivers to spot the new subs and discussion as to how they might best to accomplish this task. 

We are probably farther than a few months from sub arrive do to much more testing being needed and that there will be a sandbox period before they are released in the main game.

2 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

At t4 the IJN is king.

Royal Navy is easy mode.

The Langley got the extra torpedo buff too and the AP bombs are a blessing and a curse.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,141 posts
12,823 battles
1 hour ago, wolfman757 said:

1) Using Airborne Torpedoes is like a cross between using destroyer torpedoes and normal surface gunnery. There's very little RNG, and if you're dropping broadside at point blank range (so that the torps arm right before they hit) you're doing the exact same thing as surface gunnery. lead the target by an amount based on the target speed, drop torps, rinse and repeat. For a given ship speed, it's always the same amount of lead. Longer ranged drops and drops that aren't broadside take a little more thinking and getting into peoples heads like destroyer torpedoes.

2) Just like surface ships firing behind friendlies, you own your torps. Unlike a surface ship, you can go torpedo something else, or pick a better direction that even the dumbest or trollingest friendly can't get themselves hit with your weapons.

3) Bombs are almost exactly like surface gunnery, except there's a "windup" of sorts. Just like point blank range torpedo drops, you lead your target based on target speed, and for a given speed, the amount of lead is always the same. They are vulnerable to RNGsus giving you the middle finger, just like naval gunnery, and you'll get nothing for a perfectly aimed drop.

4)  Rockets are basically identical to bombs, timing is a little different, some of the drop ellipses are sideways, but it's the same mechanics.

5) Autopilot is your friend, just drive in a circle or just follow along behind your own team, moving targets are harder to hit. If it's important, "F" key the flight your controlling, go back to the ship, launch something else and drop another fighter on yourself. Diving into double fighters is a good way to lose a flight of aircraft. A lot of CV players will see you paying attention, and move on to attacking someone else.

23 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Naw, there's always room for more complaining. The remaining DD"s will complain about CV's, subs, that battleships can actually hurt them, radar, hydro, that smoke doesn't actually make them invincible, that they can be made to explode if someone looks at them funny, that their paint can be scratched, and that they can't 1 V/S 12 the whole red team.

Edited by SgtBeltfed

[RLGN]
Members
14,501 posts
25,705 battles
1 hour ago, DeMatt said:

Welcome to the aerial menace that will end WoWS in a flurry of abandoned accounts - if you believe the worst of the forum posters.

...to be fair, you are VERY new to WoWS, with less than a hundred games in total, and you've only played three games in your Langley.  You do have very impressive statistics, but it's a bit prideful to assume you'll automatically play perfectly the first time you give it a try.

...Well, carrier gameplay isn't for everyone.  If you enjoy cruisers more, play cruisers - WoWS is a game, not a job.

1st: lol - As many here know, it’s less I hate carriers, and more I hate the rework itself.

2nd: Well said.

3rd: Very true, and why I’m not a fan of high tiers. Some seem to think of them as some kind of calling/job.

16 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Carriers are probably the main reason that I still play WOWS. I was getting bored before the carrier rework and believe that it has injected some much-needed new life into the game.

It's going to be interesting in a few months when people will be up in arms about subs and the anti-carrier threads will be all but forgotten. In fact, then there will probably be calls for more carrier drivers to spot the new subs and discussion as to how they might best to accomplish this task. 

1st: We’ve had opposite reactions to the rework; I find the new mechanics boring, and the ‘immersive’ parts of it actually irritating in the extreme, on the level of the old citadel hit sound. To me, there’s too much unnecessary noise.

2nd: There’s been a few video’s of CVs, especially RN carriers with their area bombs, just murdering subs. May be partly why there seems to have been a delay in the release.

44 minutes ago, Starfleet1701 said:

I reset my U.S carrier line, and finished recently finished the regrind. I did the rest because I figured since I don't have any destroyer lines done (I can't reset any of those due none of them being started), it would be the shortest to do. Well didn't fully realize how expensive they were, at the time. I start the regrind and I now regret doing that line again. So, I'm now instead going to regrind the British battleship line I love British and U.S battleships and I enjoyed ( exception of the Monarch) the entire British battleship line, so I rested that and I've now began the regrind.

Haven’t touch the RC.

RN battleships have been out how long? Having Warspite and there not being a Prince of Wales actually stopped me at Tier 6. I eventually got QE, but haven’t seen any reason sufficient enough to make me want KGV.

[TARK]
Members
7,024 posts
2,634 battles
17 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Using Airborne Torpedoes is like a cross between using destroyer torpedoes and normal surface gunnery. There's very little RNG...

Just FYI, this is not true if you have not had the sight stabilize before dropping.

I've snap dropped before and had the torpedoes drop almost together and parallel. It was actually annoying because it allowed the DD to easily avoid them.

The point is, the sight widening shows the potential for where the torpedoes will go, it does NOT determine the edges of the ACTUAL spread. Only the fully stabilized sight has no RNG.

[LOIN]
Supertester
819 posts
17 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

1st: lol - As many here know, it’s less I hate carriers, and more I hate the rework itself.

2nd: Well said.

3rd: Very true, and why I’m not a fan of high tiers. Some seem to think of them as some kind of calling/job.

1st: We’ve had opposite reactions to the rework; I find the new mechanics boring, and the ‘immersive’ parts of it actually irritating in the extreme, on the level of the old citadel hit sound. To me, there’s too much unnecessary noise.

2nd: There’s been a few video’s of CVs, especially RN carriers with their area bombs, just murdering subs. May be partly why there seems to have been a delay in the release.

Haven’t touch the RC.

RN battleships have been out how long? Having Warspite and there not being a Prince of Wales actually stopped me at Tier 6. I eventually got QE, but haven’t seen any reason sufficient enough to make me want KGV.

There pretty fun. The KGV is really fun, What I really hated is the Monarch. But the others I really liked 

How  long they've been out? Idk, been out for a long time. I've actually had the Conqueror for a very long time, I just recently decided to reset the line. For the research bureau.

Members
75 posts
8,531 battles
1 hour ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

At t4 the IJN is king.

Royal Navy is easy mode.

A side bar, having 10x 203mm as secondaries on the Kaga was always intriguing trying to enhance it; do not do it btw.  She ain’t the Graf Zeppelin.  Back to point, her torp bombers are very good and she is a pretty good ship to play once you get comfortable with CV play.  I would give it another try.

Members
2,646 posts
4,271 battles

Eh,  three games is a bit too few to really make any educated estimations both on your skills with the ship line and with your enjoyment.  CV's are easily the most complex ship class in WoWs.  Not the most difficult,  mind,  I'd say that goes to DD's or cruisers,  but you've got a lot of moving parts to work with and playing poorly can almost entirely eliminate your agency in a match.  

That being said,  it definitely ain't for everybody.  Keep playing,  you've just started the game really so finding something comfortable to sail is going to be an important part of it.  Just be aware that of all the ship classes,  cruisers are probably punished the most heavily for mistakes.  Have fun!

[-N-]
Beta Testers
152 posts
3,696 battles
3 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

Contrary to what many posters on this forum will tell you, carriers are not “easy mode.” They take a lot of practice to use effectively, in no small part because in many ways they require a completely different skill set.

Not to mention. If you fk up and get all your planes killed you will be like a ship without shells to fire. 

Imagin if you missed half of your shots in a BB, as a punishment,  In the late game you wouldn't be able to fire your guns anymore lol. 

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,141 posts
12,823 battles
2 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Just FYI, this is not true if you have not had the sight stabilize before dropping.

I've snap dropped before and had the torpedoes drop almost together and parallel. It was actually annoying because it allowed the DD to easily avoid them.

The point is, the sight widening shows the potential for where the torpedoes will go, it does NOT determine the edges of the ACTUAL spread. Only the fully stabilized sight has no RNG.

You do have to start your run far enough out for the sights to stabilize so you can eliminate the RNG, but that's something the CV driver controls. Unlike dive bombers and rockets, where RNG can take a run perfectly aimed run, sights as tight as they will go, and every single bomb or rocket landing in the water for zero damage.

The real key is, you practice this so it's basically automatic. Hitting a 30+ knot cruiser, you know your lead, Hitting a 21 knot US Navy BB,  same deal. Forget how far to lead a Langley, perfectly acceptable, I almost never notice them moving anyway.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,197 posts
4,663 battles
21 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

I almost never notice them moving anyway.

They almost don't.  Slowest ship in the game.

[A-D-F]
Members
410 posts
14,913 battles

Carriers are not that difficult to play, it just requires a different skill set and mind set...

You need to predict / anticipate what maneuver the enemy will do in the next 30 sec, to better line up the attack run.
Lining up an attack run, is a bit like trying to hit a French DD that is doing 54 knots with the guns form Helena, or some other cruiser with slow shells like Yorck, at max gun range. Impossible ? No. Difficult? Yes, at least until you get a hang of it.

[TARK]
Members
7,024 posts
2,634 battles
1 hour ago, SgtBeltfed said:

You do have to start your run far enough out for the sights to stabilize so you can eliminate the RNG, but that's something the CV driver controls. Unlike dive bombers and rockets, where RNG can take a run perfectly aimed run, sights as tight as they will go, and every single bomb or rocket landing in the water for zero damage.

The real key is, you practice this so it's basically automatic. Hitting a 30+ knot cruiser, you know your lead, Hitting a 21 knot US Navy BB,  same deal. Forget how far to lead a Langley, perfectly acceptable, I almost never notice them moving anyway.

I find that sometimes the RNG works in your favor...those DD drivers that know the pattern of your drops get really annoyed when I ADD RNG to the drop by maneuvering at the last moment and it catches them out.

:Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[XXX]
Members
586 posts
1,560 battles
11 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I find that sometimes the RNG works in your favor...those DD drivers that know the pattern of your drops get really annoyed when I ADD RNG to the drop by maneuvering at the last moment and it catches them out.

:Smile_trollface:

Always fun.  Ive gotten in the habit of coming at DD with RNs at roughly 20 degrees of the side. It has improved my hit chances quite considerably.

Members
224 posts
6,093 battles

If you have been playing the game with cruisers and BBs then switch to CVs of course its going to be difficult. Its a different game, different tactics.

Edited by GoldDust2015

[WOLF2]
Members
1,636 posts
11,313 battles

I finally ground my T4 Hosho to the T6 Ryugo (only took a year to do it).   A little extra coal as it'll be a snowflake.

That auto-pilot though...    I set it to go left and park on an island.     A few minutes later, my team is chatting on why I'm bum-rushing the reds.     F-key to recall the planes, hard-a-port, and pull a brave Sir Robin!

I limped away from that one, and the team had a good laugh.   Even picked up a karma point for taking "CV Potato of the Day".    The two kills post-goof might have helped... who knows?

[CNO]
Members
5,973 posts
18,156 battles
18 hours ago, wolfman757 said:

my fighters suk at defending the carrier when I'm not there

Auto CV fighters seldom prevent the the first strike.  They are really good at preventing follow-on strikes.

[RKLES]
Members
12,554 posts
14,283 battles
16 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

At t4 the IJN is king.

Royal Navy is easy mode.

5BA9D6C6-93D4-4154-A4E7-2FD9B0E9E8FB.gif.3597f72409f2ff5c721e46a7d1f129ab.gif

Recommending CVs, and the Reworked CVs no less... lol