You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AJTP89

DD AA is Bad They Said...

39 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,237 posts
4,119 battles

IJN DD AA is even worse...

This guy didn't get the memo

shot-19_12.08_15_07.34-0436.thumb.jpg.aca80729c745e797901162b3069debde.jpg

Yup, our Hatsuharu shot down 56 planes. 

Basically one of their CVs decided he was going to die, and spent pretty much all match trying. He did it, but it cost a lot of planes. We were effectively down a DD because he chased him to the map corner, but they were down a CV. 

Also, if there are CVs in the match, you better hope your BBs and CLs are good, because the DDs just can't carry. It ended up our three DDs against their two BBs and an Omaha, as well as both CVs. We got the BBs and the Omaha with the CV's help, but every time we moved the planes were on us, and eventually they got us. CVs are sooooooo much fun to play against...

For record, 6.8 detection with 6.6 torps and a CV in open water is a little difficult. I managed a few torp hits by torping oncoming ships, but it was playing with danger every time. I figure that game is about as hard as it gets at T6, and I'm happy with the way I played. There's just nothing I can do against a CV in a DD, so if it's down to me the win the game, we're going to lose.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 2

[SIMP]
Members
1,538 posts

But, but, but....

CV's are overpowered!

Yeah, they can only attack ONE ship now, and even a DD - not even an American one at that - swats planes like they are flies.

NERF CVs MOAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:fish_palm:

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[WOLF3]
Members
27,512 posts
24,067 battles

Arizona has close to nonexistent AA, even back during the RTS CV days, so today it's even worse.  It consists of a sailor standing on the superstructure with a M1903 Springfield, yet the other team's AZ got the best BaseXP in a 2 CV per team game :Smile_teethhappy:

Kongo with 343 BaseXPs.  Derped early eh?  Put the team at a disadvantage.

[-OG-]
Members
283 posts
7,964 battles

They do... I'm willing to bet that the Hatsuharu was in a group of ships. Probably Texas, New Mexico and the Pensacola were all near the Hatsuharu not to mention that your carrier could've put up fighter cover so most of the damage was probably done by allies and the Hastsuharu just finish them off. Add to this the fact that the enemy carrier placed so low on the team board is a good indication that they flew in a perfectly straight line and took lots of flak damage. Simply put I don't find this that impressive or that it's of particular skill on the Hatsuarhu's end.  It's more a case of in the right place at the right time to get the kill.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,237 posts
4,119 battles
26 minutes ago, Awe5ome said:

They do... I'm willing to bet that the Hatsuharu was in a group of ships. Probably Texas, New Mexico and the Pensacola were all near the Hatsuharu not to mention that your carrier could've put up fighter cover so most of the damage was probably done by allies and the Hastsuharu just finish them off. Add to this the fact that the enemy carrier placed so low on the team board is a good indication that they flew in a perfectly straight line and took lots of flak damage. Simply put I don't find this that impressive or that it's of particular skill on the Hatsuarhu's end.  It's more a case of in the right place at the right time to get the kill.

Hatsu was completely on his on most of the game. CV chased him into a corner right away, and he was stuck there rest of the game, team abandoned that flank early, so he was 20km from the nearest ship. So he did it all himself.

Considering how the CV spent all game on one ship, probably fair to say he was a potato.

[GWG]
Members
7,030 posts
13,620 battles

Fault is on YOUR TEAM.

Your CV op was obviously spotting this guy THE WHOLE GAME, and you guys felt such hate for CVs that you let him die.

HA HA..  Let the DD kill our CV...   Good riddance.

Happens to me a lot.  They let a lone DD get into the backfield and won't help at all. 

I end up using all my time chipping away with rockets with little success instead of strategic spotting on the front lines, thus making a difference in the larger game.

So the enemy CV got their job done, and one lone enemy DD shoots down 50-some planes.  It takes time to do that.

YOU LOSE...   And that is why.

• Confused 1

[KSC]
Members
657 posts
9,948 battles
2 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

Basically one of their CVs decided he was going to die, and spent pretty much all match trying. He did it, but it cost a lot of planes. We were effectively down a DD because he chased him to the map corner, but they were down a CV. 

Also, if there are CVs in the match, you better hope your BBs and CLs are good, because the DDs just can't carry. It ended up our three DDs against their two BBs and an Omaha, as well as both CVs. We got the BBs and the Omaha with the CV's help, but every time we moved the planes were on us, and eventually they got us. CVs are sooooooo much fun to play against...

For record, 6.8 detection with 6.6 torps and a CV in open water is a little difficult. I managed a few torp hits by torping oncoming ships, but it was playing with danger every time. I figure that game is about as hard as it gets at T6, and I'm happy with the way I played. There's just nothing I can do against a CV in a DD, so if it's down to me the win the game, we're going to lose.

Playing a DD in a CV game is a little different.  You need to play 3km or so ahead of your friendly ships.  You can extend further, but you need smoke in case you're caught out with your pants down.  Use it and head back to friendly AA while the cooldown timer cycles.

There are other ways to mitigate damage, but that's a different conversation.

Edited by Ahskance

Members
1,170 posts
11,397 battles

Perhaps the red CV is a potato flying straight into flak?  Any ship can mount the +2 long range flak explosions, and if the CV player sucks enough, yes even the Haru can kill planes.

But only if the CV is a complete flak potato.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
29,575 posts
8,679 battles
5 minutes ago, n00bot said:

Perhaps the red CV is a potato flying straight into flak?  Any ship can mount the +2 long range flak explosions, and if the CV player sucks enough, yes even the Haru can kill planes.

But only if the CV is a complete flak potato.

That's how I had a 20+ game in Akatsuki.

Not that the CV player was a complete potato, he just wasn't looking for me, and just happened to be near his flight path a few times, when he was going after something else

The flak and planes dying was the first thing he saw lol.

The last time, he took it personally, and started going after me specifically. But I still survived the match.

[INTEL]
Members
13,229 posts
36,501 battles
1 hour ago, Doombeagle said:

He shot down 56 planes...and it didn't do him a bit of good. Fun and engaging.

Yup. The ReBork is stupid beyond belief. 56 planes in a Hatsu, CV still kills you.

Three games in a row that's been my experience in Massachusetts. CV focuses me, I shoot down tons of planes, I eat torps again and again and again and again and again. I have stopped playing Mass since I can keep it alive til the end, which just gets me focused by the Griefer bote, ruining what might be a fun game. No point in getting in that ship.

I can't imagine the mind that thinks that is fun gameplay. It's so frustrating to have to eat that trash game after game. What a shame the devs seem bent on ruining WOWs.

Edited by Taichunger

[SYN]
Members
15,866 posts
12,803 battles

something about balancing the ship strength around lowest common denominator.

• Cool 1

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,734 battles
4 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

Love how you cherry-pick a single match and that means the truth is no longer the truth. RNG can smile on someone at any time.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
11,116 posts
18,750 battles

I come to bring some context this post instead of propaganda misinformation.

According to Ship Conrade... Those stats have not yet been updated, so I have to go with what I have...

Getting 50 plane kills in an IJN DD is so rare, its only been done one other time (51 plane kills).

http://shipcomrade.com/leaderboard.asp?PR=na&Name=&A=1&B=5&G=2&S=200&R=110&C=68

Using the bell curve to quantify the result and give it the context it deserves. Getting to 40+ plane kills in a HAT and your in the %5 percentile of the population...

Which entails,  this is as rare as seeing Jingles without his pets.

I am guessing he went full AA spec on the HAT... Brave if you ask me...

The results are extremely rare... But under the right conditions (like the the moons aligning properly with the Earth precisely), it can be replicated.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 2

[SRPH]
Members
92 posts
1,608 battles

I’ve been playing Fubuki and Mutsuki most of the day. Mutsuki managed 20 in one game, and Fubuki got 21 in another. When you’re getting bombed a lot, and jinking all over the place to avoid it, with splashes all around you as you’re maneuvering, it totally looks like an old World War II movie. Other than the trying to sink my ship part it looked pretty cool. 

My personal best, however, is 31. In Duca degli Abruzzi. Another ship not known for AAbility. That too was a wild match. 

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,237 posts
4,119 battles
25 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

Love how you cherry-pick a single match and that means the truth is no longer the truth. RNG can smile on someone at any time.

20 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I come to bring some context this post instead of propaganda misinformation.

According to Ship Conrade... Those stats have not yet been updated, so I have to go with what I have...

Getting 50 plane kills in an IJN DD is so rare, its only been done one other time (51 plane kills).

http://shipcomrade.com/leaderboard.asp?PR=na&Name=&A=1&B=5&G=2&S=200&R=110&C=68

Using the bell curve to quantify the result and give it the context it deserves. Getting to 40+ plane kills in a HAT and your in the %5 percentile of the population...

Which entails,  this is as rare as seeing Jingles without his pets.

I am guessing he went full AA spec on the HAT... Brave if you ask me...

The results are extremely rare... But under the right conditions (like the the moons aligning properly with the Earth precisely), it can be replicated.

Not sure why some of you think I'm saying DDs vs CVs isn't an issue, as @Navalpride33 said this is incredibly rare hence why I made the post. If you read the rest of my post, you'd see that I in fact explained how the CVs shut down all the DDs in the match. And despite shooting down 56 planes, the CV still got him. If that isn't a convincing argument against the respawn mechanic for planes, I don't know what is. That CV deserved to be deplaned, and only the stupid mechanic WG dreamed up allowed him to get the kill.

Also, is this the IJN DD record for plane kills? That's impressive. I don't know if he was full AA spec, I doubt it, didn't seem to be wanting the attention.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
27,512 posts
24,067 battles
36 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

It's about as honest as people proclaiming every Tier IV game or whatever is 6 CVs.

Even funnier when the stats showed the truth that it wasn't so.  Just people exaggerating like they always do around here.

Another big difference is this thread is but 1 post showing an anomaly, while numerous guys were repeatedly lying, exaggerating about the low tier CV situation.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[YETI]
[YETI]
Members
542 posts
12,375 battles

I killed a CV the other day in a DD to win the game. CV isn't an automatic death sentence like some want you to believe.

[CCREW]
Members
54 posts
1,903 battles
44 minutes ago, Admiral_Andy said:

I killed a CV the other day in a DD to win the game. CV isn't an automatic death sentence like some want you to believe.

Neither is cancer, but it still sucks.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
1,900 posts
10,116 battles
23 minutes ago, MajorWang said:

Neither is cancer, but it still sucks.

The % of times I in a DD am killed by a CV in a CV involved game is less then 2%.   Happens to me once every 3 weeks and I play a DD at least 6 times a night.  And, no, the CV doesn't spot/damage me enough for others to finish me off. 

I fear a decent player, no matter what their class of ship but CV's seem to have less decent players in them then other classes.

I know my spotting ranges, look to see where my AA support is, use my mini map to steer away from planes (I sometimes wonder if the basic skill of looking at the mini map while using the WASD keys with the left hand has been lost), don't YOLO and I don't see this  problem of CV's devouring me every night that people keep talking about.

And, I do this in an Asashio or a Benham for much of my DD battles -  the Friesland match maker seem to purposefully get me a non CV

Anyways, admittedly this is YMMV with ships that are premium meme machines - but I just don't find CV's all that dangerous.

Edited by Anonymous50

[WOLFG]
Members
29,575 posts
8,679 battles
12 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

Not sure why some of you think I'm saying DDs vs CVs isn't an issue, as @Navalpride33 said this is incredibly rare hence why I made the post. If you read the rest of my post, you'd see that I in fact explained how the CVs shut down all the DDs in the match. And despite shooting down 56 planes, the CV still got him. If that isn't a convincing argument against the respawn mechanic for planes, I don't know what is. That CV deserved to be deplaned, and only the stupid mechanic WG dreamed up allowed him to get the kill.

Can we see what and whose planes were shot down? That might clarify things a bit.

I mean, for all we know, many of those planes were fighter consumables dropped to keep an eye on him.

Not that it changes the basic premise, (that playing with CVs isn't fun) but it does make a difference as far as that match being a "convincing argument against the respawning of planes". Even which CV makes a difference, because the Ranger has twice as many available planes useful for attacking a DD as the Ryujo.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,237 posts
4,119 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

Can we see what and whose planes were shot down? That might clarify things a bit.

I mean, for all we know, many of those planes were fighter consumables dropped to keep an eye on him.

Not that it changes the basic premise, (that playing with CVs isn't fun) but it does make a difference as far as that match being a "convincing argument against the respawning of planes". Even which CV makes a difference, because the Ranger has twice as many available planes useful for attacking a DD as the Ryujo.

No way to see that AFAIK for other ships.

However, the CV chased him to the map corner and kept trying to kill him. So while he may have dropped some fighters, most of the planes were shot down in self defense because that CV really had it out for him.

Members
3,097 posts
12,268 battles
16 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

However, the CV chased him to the map corner and kept trying to kill him. So while he may have dropped some fighters, most of the planes were shot down in self defense because that CV really had it out for him.

Fighters that consumable drops melt like butter and can add up very quickly if every attacking squadron drops them.  Half of those kills can easily be fighter consumables, self defense has nothing to do with target choice for AA.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,616 posts
14,702 battles
19 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

There's just nothing I can do against a CV in a DD, so if it's down to me the win the game, we're going to lose.

I managed to torpedo one in a TRB Shiratsuyu (no smoke to hide in) a short while back, and then I farmed his planes to death. I went on to win that battle for our team by capping everything, while our last remaining BB tanked the two enemy destroyers for long enough that it was impossible for them to catch me.

[WOLFG]
Members
29,575 posts
8,679 battles
1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

You say "the CV", which one was it? Or did both go after him at some point? This matters because different CVs have different regen times and different wing sizes, all of which figure into the max number of planes available. For example, Ryujo's rocket planes start with 12 on the deck, and have a regen time of 76 seconds. That's another 15 planes. So if the match goes 19+ minutes, and the CV starts losing planes as soon as they take off, (which can't happen) that's 27 rocket planes. If you assume a similar number for DBs, (although in practice, it would be fewer, as they wouldn't begin to regen until after the first squadron was recalled/destroyed) that's 54 planes. If any TBs were sent, they're just aerial targets, and no threat to a DD off in the corner.

Agreed that most of the planes would be strike, but keep in mind that (IIRC) potentially, 18 of those planes could have been fighters, which don't figure into regen at all.

Not trying to argue that CVs are not an issue for DDs, just that regen isn't the culprit