JaysUsedBoatParts

I'm scared to make anymore YouTube videos might get frickin fine!?

170 comments in this topic

Banned
715 posts
1,052 battles

I even got new software and everything but my son said the FTC gonna be dropping fines come 1 January!?

Wth!!

Edited by JaysUsedBoatParts
  • Boring 3

[TARK]
Members
6,967 posts
2,626 battles
10 minutes ago, JaysUsedBoatParts said:

I even got new software and everything but my son said the FTC gonna be dropping fines come 1 January!?

Wth!!

Youtube is an awful platform anyway. Use a different platform.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,636 posts
11,298 battles

But.... but... but... it's "for the children".    We should protect their privacy at all costs!

And totally ignore the privacy of the rest of us.   Why stop at kids?   How about for all?

I'm all for free enterprise, and kudos to those that make money goofing around instead of having a job.   But, I should be given the ability to opt-in for any data gathering and marketing.   And no, visiting the website should not be implied as an opt-in.

• Cool 6
  • Boring 3

[WOLF3]
Members
27,556 posts
24,067 battles
6 minutes ago, DiddleDum said:

But.... but... but... it's "for the children".    We should protect their privacy at all costs!

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Funny 1

[WOLFG]
Members
29,661 posts
8,699 battles
11 minutes ago, Hiro804 said:

Looks like it all depends on the target audience.  Videos targeted at children have different requirements about data gathering, etc.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/13/20963459/youtube-google-coppa-ftc-fine-settlement-youtubers-new-rules

It looks like if you don't label your videos as "directed at kids", you're ok.

And since the cut-off age is 13, which also happens to be the lowest age that's supposed to be playing WoWS, no problem, you aren't directing videos at kids anyway.

I think the whole idea of it is that, if your kids are looking for videos, they can watch ones labelled as "for kids", and not have any privacy issues.

If they're under 13 and not watching "for kids" videos, well, any privacy issues are on Mom & Dad.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,636 posts
11,298 battles

Wu Tang....

Is that a new ship Wargaming is rolling out?   For steel, coal, or FXP???  :Smile_child:

Members
161 posts
2,079 battles
11 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

It looks like if you don't label your videos as "directed at kids", you're ok.

And since the cut-off age is 13, which also happens to be the lowest age that's supposed to be playing WoWS, no problem, you aren't directing videos at kids anyway.

I think the whole idea of it is that, if your kids are looking for videos, they can watch ones labelled as "for kids", and not have any privacy issues.

If they're under 13 and not watching "for kids" videos, well, any privacy issues are on Mom & Dad.

My son said that some youtubers were complaining that youtube themselves would go in and label your videos as ok for kids even if you unchecked it.  IDK if this is true and dont care enough to fact check but if it is it changes things.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,813 posts

YouTube plans or at least planned on letting an algorithm go in and identify videos as "for kids" automatically, based on things such as "bright colors" and "simplified images" -- basically a lot of old garbage tropes about what's "for kids" vs "for adults".   The "new" FTC policy is targeted at companies like YouTube, but some of those companies are going to do a "bomb the site from orbit, only way to be safe" approach to what they tag "for kids" and demonetize in order to steer way clear of the new rules. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 1

[KSC]
Members
661 posts
10,004 battles

Google was fined heavily enough that it got real serious about an old law protecting kids from having info harvested about them (context: youtube harvests viewer/demographic info for sales).

There's a new box for "Video's for kiddos" vs "Not for kiddos".  Check as appropriate.

Because "For Kiddos" doesn't get targeted ad revenue bucks, YouTube is concerned folks will make videos for kids, but say they aren't (for sweet sweet ad revenue).

Expect an algorithm that misidentifies videos and causes drama, though actual fines will likely only end up being enforced against actual offenders.  Many folks will likely have de-monetized videos while the code screws things up.

• Cool 1

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,526 battles
53 minutes ago, JaysUsedBoatParts said:

the FTC gonna be dropping fines come 1 January!?

Are your WoWs videos used to sell anything? Are you being paid by WG or receiving anything of value to promote WG products or any other product? If yes then you may have a problem. If no, they are properly classified and nothing more than your braggadocio about your game play there shouldn't be a problem.

• Confused 1

Members
2,236 posts
13,616 battles
1 hour ago, JaysUsedBoatParts said:

Wth!!

It is all so vague and uncontrolled... they won; be able to effectively police it... they allow violence and sex on TV all day without an issue, but put it on you tube and it is bad??

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,806 posts
12 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Are your WoWs videos used to sell anything? Are you being paid by WG or receiving anything of value to promote WG products or any other product? If yes then you may have a problem. If no, they are properly classified and nothing more than your braggadocio about your game play there shouldn't be a problem.

That's not how it works.

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles
34 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

YouTube plans or at least planned on letting an algorithm go in and identify videos as "for kids" automatically, based on things such as "bright colors" and "simplified images" -- basically a lot of old garbage tropes about what's "for kids" vs "for adults".   The "new" FTC policy is targeted at companies like YouTube, but some of those companies are going to do a "bomb the site from orbit, only way to be safe" approach to what they tag "for kids" and demonetize in order to steer way clear of the new rules. 

Thats going to be hard on shows like Happy Tree House Friends

• Confused 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,636 posts
11,298 battles
8 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

That's not how it works.

How is that not how it works?   It's about monetization.  If the OP simply posts videos of his game play, with no adverts or monetization, that's perfectly cool to YT and the FTC.

[FEM]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
2,256 posts
16,390 battles

With any platform, you just need to read and understand the ToS and guidelines of the various laws and legislations related to the platform.

They will have to have proof of a rule being broken for you to get in trouble for anything, so you just need to be informed.

Fem, 

• Confused 1

[PHD]
Members
1,562 posts
6,690 battles

I think Admiral Jingles talked about it some in last week's ,or the week before,  on his Saturday Mingles with Jingles YouTube post. 

[WOLF2]
Members
1,636 posts
11,298 battles
3 minutes ago, Femennenly said:

They will have to have proof of a rule being broken for you to get in trouble for anything, so you just need to be informed.

:cap_cool: Have you seen the news the last six months?    Proof of a rule being broken is long-since past.   It's based on the "feels" now.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1

[A-D-F]
7,806 posts
23 minutes ago, DiddleDum said:

How is that not how it works?   It's about monetization.  If the OP simply posts videos of his game play, with no adverts or monetization, that's perfectly cool to YT and the FTC.

You don't have to be "selling something" or be being paid by WG (or anyone) to post a video, for the rule to apply. 

[GOOF]
Members
699 posts
6,079 battles
1 hour ago, KilljoyCutter said:

This facility had a substantial dollar value.

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,818 posts
11,954 battles
1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Youtube is an awful platform anyway. Use a different platform.

What are the alternatives?

[A-D-F]
7,806 posts
7 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

What are the alternatives?

Twitch is the platform most content creators move to when they are done with youtube.

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
1,901 posts
4,607 battles
32 minutes ago, Femennenly said:

With any platform, you just need to read and understand the ToS and guidelines of the various laws and legislations related to the platform.

Fem, 

He is talking about COPPA feel free to look it up as it will impact the community contributors as well. 

[FEM]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
2,256 posts
16,390 battles
1 minute ago, landedkiller said:

He is talking about COPPA feel free to look it up as it will impact the community contributors as well. 

I'm aware of COPPA, I have my own YT after all ;)

Ultimately however it is up to the creators to learn and abide by the rules on various platforms. 

Fem, 

• Cool 1