You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
WidochMeirker

Ranked Question

21 comments in this topic

Members
185 posts
3,359 battles

I've been playing the recent T10 ranked.  I've been going with my Zao for most of the games and it's been pretty normal. Brainless teams that won't work together, border campers hoping to not lose a star, yolo DDs getting destroyed and general salt by all players.  You know, normal ranked stuff.  However, this season we have the new Smolenks, the completely broken stupid ship that needs to be taken out of the game but never will because WoWs is now well down the road of only wanting money and not caring about gameplay anymore. My question though is this: I have about 40 battles played and I've never been on the same team as a Smolenks and have been up against 3 of them on the opposing team more than once.  Does anyone know what the match maker actually looks for when making teams or is it just fully random?  It's already been established that you can get games with multiple radars on one team and no radars on the other team, but does the game try to match light cruisers and heavy cruisers?

• Cool 1

Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles

It matches ship tiers and types, and then for ranked I believe it puts you in brackets based on rank.

That's it.  Radar, torps, heavy, light...no difference to the MM.

Edited by Old_Baldy_One
  • Cool 1

[DUDS]
Members
101 posts
8,407 battles

It is completely broken, along with Ranked.  You are right with the money grab part.  There are some naive players that will harp on the team play garbage, but look at the slaughters this season where you don’t even see one ship on a side get sunk...really, that many players got to Tier X and have no clue how to play?  Best to walk away from Ranked until there are only the idiot diehards left or WoW wakes up (don’t count on it) and stops the Tier X (and Tier IX) [edited].  

Edited by Jake_Miller_67
content

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,806 posts
2 hours ago, WidochMeirker said:

does the game try to match light cruisers and heavy cruisers?

No.

[LEGIT]
Members
2,343 posts
32,122 battles
2 hours ago, Jake_Miller_67 said:

Best to walk away from Ranked until there are only the idiot diehards left or WoW wakes up (don’t count on it) and stops the Tier X (and Tier IX) [edited].  

I don't think tier really matters.  Same stuff all the time.  And same people ranking out....hm...

[TSG4B]
Members
222 posts
6,098 battles

Playing Ranked is like hitting your head against a brick wall... it feels better when you stop.

No with that said, I'll play a few ranked games later today, just so I can get where I want to be this season... then bruised and bloodied, I'll have the sense (once again) to quit and move onto other things I enjoy quite a bit more.

[ASHIP]
Members
198 posts
11,979 battles
3 hours ago, WidochMeirker said:

I've been playing the recent T10 ranked.  I've been going with my Zao for most of the games and it's been pretty normal. Brainless teams that won't work together, border campers hoping to not lose a star, yolo DDs getting destroyed and general salt by all players.  You know, normal ranked stuff.  However, this season we have the new Smolenks, the completely broken stupid ship that needs to be taken out of the game but never will because WoWs is now well down the road of only wanting money and not caring about gameplay anymore. My question though is this: I have about 40 battles played and I've never been on the same team as a Smolenks and have been up against 3 of them on the opposing team more than once.  Does anyone know what the match maker actually looks for when making teams or is it just fully random?  It's already been established that you can get games with multiple radars on one team and no radars on the other team, but does the game try to match light cruisers and heavy cruisers?

Is not abou the money per se. Ruskies feel diminished and need to come up with their wet dreams of a powerful armada. In reality they werent able to produce 200mm+ KC plates, less the tech bought to italy and germany haha. 

[TNG]
Members
50 posts
23,337 battles

I've had a pretty good experience this ranked season, funny how people always have something to b!4tch and moan about.  MM has gotten better as I've progressed, seems like there are a lot less 30%-40% winrate/low average damage players at the higher ranks.  

[TNG]
Members
50 posts
23,337 battles
Just now, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

The answer to Smolensk is healthy dose of torpedoes. 

Very, very true.... I've been crushing smol's with my Shima.... which is funny as I don't see bb's blind firing smoke often (unicum/super unicum players are the exception).

[NSEW]
Members
1,949 posts
10,984 battles
3 hours ago, Jake_Miller_67 said:

There are some naive players that will harp on the team play garbage, but look at the slaughters this season where you don’t even see one ship on a side get sunk...really, that many players got to Tier X and have no clue how to play?

This happens outside of Ranked as well, sadly.  How many games have we witnessed where a ship is asking in chat to downvote a player due to their tactical game play (a positive one).  Where the one asking for others to submit a negative vote is actually doing worse than the accused.  Battlefield awareness is lacking in Random or in Ranked, full stop.

We can all pretty much agree that this is more apparent now that the "newer" players have reached the coveted tier 10 lines.  Without them having to play through all the pivotal changes WG have made in place prior to them joining the game; ergo, Smoke mechanic changes (players still thinking BB's are still okay to fire from within the smoke bloom), Radar (no explanation needed here), Flooding changes (now it's limited), not to mention the game wide changes inbetween, and more.

[FML]
Members
4,044 posts
15,650 battles
5 hours ago, WidochMeirker said:

You are statistically more likely to see Smolensks on the enemy team because you are taking up a cruiser slot that MM could have dumped a Smolensk into. 

But beyond that, no distinction between radar cruisers, heavy/light cruisers, etc. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,660 posts
14,285 battles

The Smolensk is frustrating to deal with but its WR of 50.76 %  says it is not broken and would need a buff to be over powered.

• Cool 1

[YETI]
[YETI]
Members
544 posts
12,381 battles
4 hours ago, Jake_Miller_67 said:

It is completely broken, along with Ranked.  You are right with the money grab part.  There are some naive players that will harp on the team play garbage, but look at the slaughters this season where you don’t even see one ship on a side get sunk...really, that many players got to Tier X and have no clue how to play?  Best to walk away from Ranked until there are only the idiot diehards left or WoW wakes up (don’t count on it) and stops the Tier X (and Tier IX) [edited].  

How is ranked a money grab? It does not take any money to play it. Also don't talk about there being one sided matches. It will confuse all the people pushing for skilled based randoms who think skill base match making will get rid of one sided battles.

Members
2,127 posts
6,361 battles

Notser has a video about WG readjusting Cruiser armor across the board and Smolensk will have some of is Armor nerfed.

[NFJF]
Members
672 posts
9,987 battles

My feeling is that ranked is meant to suck and feel like work. My understanding is you're supposed to suffer while earning steel so that when you can finally get your Stalingrad, "or in my case, Bourgogne," you'll appreciate and enjoy it more knowing you had to endure a few seasons of hell to get it rather than having a happy experience earning it. 

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,734 battles
5 hours ago, Raven114 said:

Notser has a video about WG readjusting Cruiser armor across the board and Smolensk will have some of is Armor nerfed.

Smol has terrible armor. How exactly would they "nerf" it?

[-N-]
Beta Testers
152 posts
3,689 battles
11 hours ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

It matches ship tiers and types, and then for ranked I believe it puts you in brackets based on rank.

That's it.  Radar, torps, heavy, light...no difference to the MM.

So completely balanced. Thanos will be pleased. 

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,734 battles
31 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

c2ed4822862ce4c957f21a9eafa2f88d7e.jpg

Yea that about sums it up. I just watched Noster's YouTube video about these so-called global changes. Basically it is a buff to BBs and a nerf to everything else.

I guess we are not dying fast enough and WG felt the need to speed it up.

The funniest part is almost every comment on his video was crying about Smol, a ship with an average win rate.  The Gearing and Smol are getting the worst of this.  Two of the most average ships in the game.