Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
desmo_2

graphics settings

19 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,963
[O_O]
Members
6,549 posts
15,551 battles

Now that I have upgraded to a modern PC, I have increased all of my graphics settings to max (still need a monitor...always something).

I watched the graphics settings tutorial video, but it is very dated and the settings options have changed.  A few things I still have questions about:

  • multisample antialiasing?  off - 2x - 4x - 8x?  What does this do?
  • increase GUI contrast?  check box.  currently unchecked, what does it do (besides increase GUI contrast, smarty!)
  • verticle sync and triple buffering - tutorial says they don't affect performance, but what do they do?
  • alternative interface?  off - adaptive - full?  I don't remember what these do exactly, but think one option adds ship and player name above their ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,569
[WOLFG]
Members
29,501 posts
8,653 battles
10 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

 

  • multisample antialiasing?  off - 2x - 4x - 8x?  What does this do?

Smooths out jagged lines. More "x" is better.

10 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:
  • increase GUI contrast?  check box.  currently unchecked, what does it do (besides increase GUI contrast, smarty!)

I don't know if there's any more to it than that.

10 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:
  • verticle sync and triple buffering - tutorial says they don't affect performance, but what do they do?

Dunno about the buffering, but VSync is needed sometimes if your FPS is higher than the refresh rate of your monitor. Try it without, and only use if you get graphics glitches.

10 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:
  • alternative interface?  off - adaptive - full?  I don't remember what these do exactly, but think one option adds ship and player name above their ship.

Full does that. Adaptive only does that for nearby ships. If you want more info on a further ship, just go to binoc view.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,963
[O_O]
Members
6,549 posts
15,551 battles
22 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

@desmo_2

What are the specs on your PC now ?

  • CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (8 core, 16 thread)
  • GPU - AMD Radeon RX 5700 Mech OC
  • MOB - MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
  • RAM - G Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB
  • Adata SU800 SATA SSD 1TB
  • PSU - Corsair RM650 80+ Gold
Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,005
[WORX]
Members
11,090 posts
18,729 battles

Well @desmo_2

According to the web site I compare GPU cards with the benchmark GPU card...

I would only say MAX out your graphics settings... Click on ALL boxes that dont have checks by them... Under One condition,

If you put your graphic setting on max... Since your GPU is superior then the majority of ours,

  • check on your resources
  • Check on your GPU temp...

If with your setup your good and running below %90-%95. Then go ahead, use MAX graphics level..

If your setup is running above %90-%95 of its resources. Then lower it to HIGH... (with a few custom options).

Reason for this is, I've noticed GPU overheating on max level... I just want you to be aware, WOWS does run hot on high... (hopefully not for your gear).

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,963
[O_O]
Members
6,549 posts
15,551 battles
5 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Reason for this is, I've noticed GPU overheating on max level... I just want you to be aware, WOWS does run hot on high... (hopefully not for your gear).

Hopefully cooling won't be an issue.  The unit you used for comparison is the blower unit.  Mine has two external fans for better cooling.  Fingers crossed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
597 posts
7,375 battles

NVDA 1070 GTX/16MB recommends HIGH to VERY HIGH on the various settings not MAX when optimized thru the NVDA app. Not sure why they don't but fwiw. I can't really tell much difference. 

This is on ASUS laptop/Strix. GPU/ CPU usually below 80 maybe that is the reason. 

 

 

Edited by Steeler_Nation_USA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
126
[WOLF8]
Members
541 posts
9,010 battles
1 hour ago, desmo_2 said:
  • CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (8 core, 16 thread)
  • GPU - AMD Radeon RX 5700 Mech OC
  • MOB - MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
  • RAM - G Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB
  • Adata SU800 SATA SSD 1TB
  • PSU - Corsair RM650 80+ Gold

Desmo, I'm actually thinking about getting a system similar to your new one.  Is that from one of the online pre-builder type companies (e.g., Ibuypower, Cyberpower, etc) or somewhere local to you?  Thx...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,011
Members
2,439 posts
5,392 battles

Your GPU should never run close to overheating. 
 

you either have a crappy fan setup or dust buildup on either components or fans. Or your GPU fan is not running correctly.

make sure have you air coming inside the case from the front and exiting out the back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,569
[WOLFG]
Members
29,501 posts
8,653 battles
18 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

Your GPU should never run close to overheating. 
 

you either have a crappy fan setup or dust buildup on either components or fans. Or your GPU fan is not running correctly.

make sure have you air coming inside the case from the front and exiting out the back. 

Also, make sure to check out what temps you should be getting for your specific hardware, and don't generalise based on previous setups.

Ryzen 2700x, for example, will spike from 28° to 60°, and go back and forth in between, just sitting at the desktop.

My RX580 is known as a "hot" card. IIRC, 75-80° is not unusual. (I believe shutoff occurs at 85°)

Or just run it through something like Cinebench. If it doesn't shut off during that, you're good lol.

Edited by Skpstr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
778
[LOU1]
Members
4,179 posts
12,161 battles

Most of the items in that first article post still apply as far as I can tell.  Probably why a new detailed post hasn't been created.

(Long first post explaining each feature, otherwise I would have copied it here.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32,943
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,387 posts
19,259 battles
2 hours ago, desmo_2 said:
  • CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (8 core, 16 thread)
  • GPU - AMD Radeon RX 5700 Mech OC
  • MOB - MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
  • RAM - G Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB
  • Adata SU800 SATA SSD 1TB
  • PSU - Corsair RM650 80+ Gold

That system is overkill for this game. You can easily run everything at max, leave the FPS limit to 75 as is standard, and come nowhere near maxing out your CPU and GPU. So overheating should not be an issue.

Others have answered what things do, as per your OP.

<Edit> To compare, both my CPU (Ryzen7 2700) and my GPU (GTX 1660) are not as beefy as yours, and my system can already run this game at like 150+ FPS at max settings at 1080p. Unless you start removing the 75 FPS limit in the ini files, this game would be a walk in the park for your rig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,705
[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,862 posts
21,756 battles

@desmo_2 I followed this guide for Anti-aliasing. I am amazed at how clean all the lines look in my system. I, too, recently upgraded my system but not to that level. My rig is stuffed nicely into a Steck SFF case and includes:

  • CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
  • RAM: 16GB 3466mhz 
  • MOB: MSI B450I Gaming Plus AC
  • GPU: GTX 1650 Super
  • HDD: Intel 512GB NVMe
  • PSU: Corsair SF450 Platinum
I am getting 70-75 FPS with no issues.
 
One thing I am disappointed with (and you may see this issue) is that I cannot run the 3466mhz RAM profile on my MSI motherboard as it occasionally causes the client to crash. WG said to not overclock the RAM. So I am running the RAM at its native 2133 mhz setting.
 
Good luck with that rig! Very nice setup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,046
[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,069 posts
4,661 battles
4 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

increase GUI contrast?  check box.  currently unchecked, what does it do (besides increase GUI contrast, smarty!)

I think it shows up the UI overlay better against the battle or port.  I like it on, but with high res you might like it off.  Try it.

4 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

alternative interface?  off - adaptive - full?  I don't remember what these do exactly, but think one option adds ship and player name above their ship.

Full.  On toast.  It adds player name and health bar to the ship icon in battle.  I find the health bar very useful for ship health (I don't run sidebars) and it makes a great place to click for priority secondary assignment.  Some people don't like the clutter.  Up to you.  (I'm not sure what Adaptive does.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
196
[WOLF6]
Members
462 posts
3,461 battles
6 hours ago, Skpstr said:

Full does that. Adaptive only does that for nearby ships. If you want more info on a further ship, just go to binoc view.

Pressing 'Alt' will also fill in Adaptive to full for the duration of the key press.  I run Adaptive and press Alt when more info is needed.  It's a declutter option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,569
[WOLFG]
Members
29,501 posts
8,653 battles
19 minutes ago, ZoomieG said:

Pressing 'Alt' will also fill in Adaptive to full for the duration of the key press.  I run Adaptive and press Alt when more info is needed.  It's a declutter option.

Ah ok, I figured that might be the case, but I just do a quick zoom in and out if I need the info.

The fewer keys I have to worry about, the less chance I'll hit the wrong one lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,046
[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,069 posts
4,661 battles
26 minutes ago, ZoomieG said:

Pressing 'Alt' will also fill in Adaptive to full for the duration of the key press.  I run Adaptive and press Alt when more info is needed.  It's a declutter option.

Hmm.  I think I'll try that.  It can get pretty busy if there are ships near your "bote of interest".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,963
[O_O]
Members
6,549 posts
15,551 battles
5 hours ago, Slammer58 said:

Desmo, I'm actually thinking about getting a system similar to your new one.  Is that from one of the online pre-builder type companies (e.g., Ibuypower, Cyberpower, etc) or somewhere local to you?  Thx...

No, I bought the components separately (Newegg.com) and built it myself.  First time.  Pretty easy, actually.  There are some YouTube videos that make it pretty simple (check out Paul's Hardware).

The problem with a lot of the pre-builder companies is they will sell the flash of big processors, graphics cards and flashy cases, then skimp on mother boards, power supplies, and other less shiny aspects to boost profits.  This build isn't high end, but it is all quality stuff.  With Black Friday, I came in at a smidge over $1,000.

4 hours ago, Lert said:

That system is overkill for this game. You can easily run everything at max, leave the FPS limit to 75 as is standard, and come nowhere near maxing out your CPU and GPU. So overheating should not be an issue.

<Edit> To compare, both my CPU (Ryzen7 2700) and my GPU (GTX 1660) are not as beefy as yours, and my system can already run this game at like 150+ FPS at max settings at 1080p. Unless you start removing the 75 FPS limit in the ini files, this game would be a walk in the park for your rig.

WoWS isn't too intensive.  But, I kind of have my eye on some flight sims down the road, so I had to beef up a bit.

Edited by desmo_2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32,943
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,387 posts
19,259 battles
19 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

they will sell the flash of big processors, graphics cards and flashy cases, then skimp on mother boards, power supplies, and other less shiny aspects to boost profits.

That's how it goes. Thing is though, power supply, ram and motherboard are the most important components, the backbone and the things that determine stability. Flashy numbers look nice but a reliable and stable system is nicer.

19 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

This build isn't high end, but it is all quality stuff.

That's pretty high end, though. Not everyone can drop $1000 on a gaming rig. I spent about $700 on mine this year (Ryzen 7 2700, Asus Prime B450 motherboard, GTX 1660, 2x 8 gb Hyper X DDR4 and a 512gb NVME SSD) and that was already probably a bit more than I could afford. Good on going quality stuff. That way you'll enjoy that rig for a long time to come.

Also spent longer than I care to admit on ensuring good airflow on a triple 120mm case fan system. I hope you built your system with cooling in mind and put it in a well ventilated location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×