Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Splash1701D

Tier VI and up Cruisers

7 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

13
[USCGC]
Members
52 posts
2,067 battles

I'm sure this has been asked many times but I noticed in the Tech Tree, that when you get down to Tier VI Cruisers, they split into 2 choices. Those choices seem to be CL & CA with  a fairly large difference in cost (credits & XP). At this level, is it just a matter of personal preference and game play style? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,017
[WORX]
Members
11,106 posts
18,750 battles

Tier 7 and above cruiser split is divided by

  • Light cruiser
    • Guns less then 155MM
  • Heavy Cruiser
    • Guns MORE then 157MM
    • Slightly better armor

High tier gaming (tiers 8 and above) is an acquired taste.

  • The meta changes,
  • Tactics are significantly different

Its a whole different way of playing the same game... Some like it, I tolerate it, others avoid it like the plague.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,348
[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,234 posts
4,119 battles

Yup, just more options.

Also, only the USN does this right now (RN will soon). Pensacola (often called the Pepsi or Pepsicola due the similarities between the thickness of her armor and a pepsi can) starts the CA line, which IMO is kinda meh until T10, where the Des Moines is amazing. Dallas starts the CL line, which is fun. Dallas is fragile but fun, Helena is epic, Cleveland is solid, Seattle is trash, and Wooster (the correct pronunciation of Worcester) is excellent. Different play styles, depends on your preference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
873
[WOLFC]
Members
1,784 posts
9,786 battles
3 hours ago, Splash1701D said:

I'm sure this has been asked many times but I noticed in the Tech Tree, that when you get down to Tier VI Cruisers, they split into 2 choices. Those choices seem to be CL & CA with  a fairly large difference in cost (credits & XP). At this level, is it just a matter of personal preference and game play style? 

In the American tree (the only cruiser line with such a split ATM), CLs come equipped with fast-firing 152mm guns and best-in-class consumable loadouts: hydro, DFAA, fighter(at tier 5, IIRC)/radar(at tier 8), and repair party (tier 9) in four slots. The CAs come with harder hitting but slower firing 203mm guns, and slightly less useful consumable loadouts: you have to choose between hydro and DFAA in the same slot, but you also have slightly longer range radar starting at tier 8. Of course, then there’s Des Moines (and her sister Salem) at tier X with 9x203mm autoloaders that fire every 5.5 seconds. Both branches (but especially the CLs) are characterized by having shorter range than some other lines and “floaty” shells with high arcs: excellent for firing over islands but can be tricky to land hits on maneuvering targets at max range. In addition, outside of a few premiums, no American cruiser above tier 5 comes equipped with torpedoes. This means you have to pay close attention to your positioning and have good situational awareness, because you lack the burst damage of torpedoes if you are caught unawares at close range.

The choice between the two is largely a matter of personal preference. Both lines are viable, but with the current state of IFHE I feel that the CL line is stronger, at least until you get to the high tiers where the CAs get super heavy AP shells with improved auto-bounce angles. I would suggest you unlock both Dallas and Pensacola (I found Omaha to be a fun ship anyways) and play them both for a bit to decide what style you prefer. However, I feel obliged to mention that Pensacola is a  bit of a polarizing ship, with paper-thin armor and turrets that rotate at a snail’s pace, but TEN 203mm guns at tier 6. You get a better feeling for the American CA flavor at tier 7 with New Orleans.

The other cruiser lines in the game transition from CLs to CAs (203mm+ guns) at various points: Germans at VII Yorck, French at VII Algerie, Japanese at V Furutaka (although VIII Mogami has a 155mm option), Italians at VI Trento, and the Soviets lack a true CA until X Moskva, with her 220mm guns. British heavy cruisers are scheduled to get introduced in 0.9.0 in January, starting a line split at tier 5.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,859
[WOLF3]
Members
27,510 posts
24,067 battles
On 12/8/2019 at 6:36 AM, AJTP89 said:

Yup, just more options.

Also, only the USN does this right now (RN will soon). Pensacola (often called the Pepsi or Pepsicola due the similarities between the thickness of her armor and a pepsi can) starts the CA line, which IMO is kinda meh until T10, where the Des Moines is amazing. Dallas starts the CL line, which is fun. Dallas is fragile but fun, Helena is epic, Cleveland is solid, Seattle is trash, and Wooster (the correct pronunciation of Worcester) is excellent. Different play styles, depends on your preference.

I want to add that Tier X Des Moines also has access to a mission to claim one of the best Legendary Upgrades in the game, greatly changing how she behaves.  Worcester's Legendary is laughable, and that's being kind to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,348
[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,234 posts
4,119 battles
Just now, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I want to add that Tier X Des Moines also has access to a mission to claim one of the best Legendary Upgrades in the game, greatly changing how she behaves.  Worcester's Legendary is laughable, and that's being kind to it.

Yeah the Legendary Upgrade for Des Moines is amazing, accelerates awesome now. The radar decrease can be completely offset by the special upgrade. Wooster feels really sluggish now in comparison. Forget what Wooster's upgrade is, but remember looking at it and thinking, nope. I've been playing the DM a lot lately, something seems to have clicked as I feel very comfortable in her. I liked it before, but now it's moving up to be my favorite ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,859
[WOLF3]
Members
27,510 posts
24,067 battles
8 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

Yeah the Legendary Upgrade for Des Moines is amazing, accelerates awesome now. The radar decrease can be completely offset by the special upgrade. Wooster feels really sluggish now in comparison. Forget what Wooster's upgrade is, but remember looking at it and thinking, nope. I've been playing the DM a lot lately, something seems to have clicked as I feel very comfortable in her. I liked it before, but now it's moving up to be my favorite ship.

Copy & Pasted from the wiki:

Spoiler

+10% to duration of Surveillance Radar (While active, detects all enemy ships within the specified radius, disregarding obstacles such as smoke and terrain.).
+20% to duration of Hydroacoustic Search (While active, detects all enemy ships and torpedoes within the specified radius, without regard of obstacles such as smoke and terrain.).
+20% to duration of Defensive AA Fire 

That sounds pretty mediocre already to me, especially post-Radar range nerf on Worcester where Tier VIII Cleveland has the same range.  Tier X Des Moines and IX Buffalo have 10km Radar and X CL Worcester has 9km Radar like VIII Cleveland.  For me, a player that did a lot of Radar Cruisers, that's bad enough already for the CL but if that wasn't sh*tty enough for Worcester, her Legendary is a Slot 5 upgrade competing with CSM1.  Long ago I completed Worcester's Legendary Upgrade mission but I didn't even bother because I knew I'd waste Doubloons unequipping it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×