You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CAPTAIN_JACK_HOLDEN

When is ranked 1v1 coming to the live server?

12 comments in this topic

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,626 posts
14,218 battles

I hate ranked but I actually had fun on the PT with that.

[RLGN]
Members
14,460 posts
25,621 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

I hate ranked but I actually had fun on the PT with that.

Had enough of that recently in some late night queue dumps.

Not my idea of fun in the least.

Hard pass.

[PVE]
Members
6,543 posts
22,432 battles

I've only lost 1 match in a 1 vs 1 scenario...my very 1st 1 in a Isokaze vs Isokaze. Have only had 1 other 1 vs 1 match on the main server (which is odd because I usually play during late night hours when population counts are much lower) but have had about 1/2 dozen 1 vs 1 matches on various other PTs but I wasn't able to participate in the PT 1 vs 1 Ranked though.

Sounds like fun though.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,624 posts
14,706 battles

It's very good at sorting out the issue of which ship type is really the strongest. I tried mostly cruisers and destroyers in the PTS version, with the odd battleship thrown in. I finally ranked out (in PTS) with the Hipper. It has enough torpedo alpha to smack any T8 BB, and enough health to survive long enough to fire the torps.

The downside is that RPF is VITAL for knowing where your enemy is, if you are not the stealthiest ship in the battle. Very few of my captains in any of my appropriate ships have that skill. 

[A-I-M]
Members
3,141 posts
13,529 battles
21 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The downside is that RPF is VITAL for knowing where your enemy is, if you are not the stealthiest ship in the battle. Very few of my captains in any of my appropriate ships have that skill. 

Because of this, and other issues that arise with 1v1 matches, a lot of captain builds that are optimal for team play may need a rethinking.

I could see myself ditching IFHE on Akizuki (yes, heresy) for RDF.

One could argue this calls out for a free respec more than clan battles do.

Beyond captain skills, upgrade slot selections may change, as well.

[DVYJC]
Members
3,211 posts
7,120 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

1 hour ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

I could see myself ditching IFHE on Akizuki (yes, heresy) for RDF.

I thought this would be the case and specced some ships on the PTS for 1 v 1 Ranked Sprint this way, but I ended up deciding it was not really worth it on DDs, as you basically know where your opponent will be and can dictate or at least strenuously negotiate the engagement location and distance (from speed/stealth advantage and interpreting the cap point statuses), but is surprisingly helpful on BBs, because in the 1 v 1 situation, you always know how to angle against a destroyer opponent to avoid BVR torpedoes.

In DD v. CV matchups, it was not helpful, as the CV's stealth is bad enough that you only really need to know what quarter of the map the CV is in, which is usually obvious from the incoming aircraft direction.

I did not do a lot of cruisering on the PTS, but could see it going both ways. 

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn

[DBRIS]
Members
639 posts
11,425 battles

I liked 1v1 on PTS. Hipper worked out really well for me. You don't have to worry about anyone else blapping you so anything that can deal major damage quickly and is survivable works. I also tried a couple of DD's, just sit back a spam torpedoes. Not as fun as just brawling though.

I didn't bother with RDF, there are only so many ways to come in to a cap.

Edited by ItsSubmersible

[A-I-M]
Members
3,141 posts
13,529 battles
4 hours ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I thought this would be the case and specced some ships on the PTS for 1 v 1 Ranked Sprint this way, but I ended up deciding it was not really worth it on DDs, as you basically know where your opponent will be...

...but is surprisingly helpful on BBs, because in the 1 v 1 situation, you always know how to angle against a destroyer opponent to avoid BVR torpedoes.

You might basically know where you opponent will be when you’re in a DD, but my limitations tell me I need the help - to know which way around an island the opponent is coming, a shrewd CV player might direct his planes off to another vector, then bring them in, etc.

In your second paragraph, what does the “BVR” mean? Blind....?

[DVYJC]
Members
3,211 posts
7,120 battles
56 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

You might basically know where you opponent will be when you’re in a DD, but my limitations tell me I need the help - to know which way around an island the opponent is coming, a shrewd CV player might direct his planes off to another vector, then bring them in, etc.

In your second paragraph, what does the “BVR” mean? Blind....?

Sorry - beyond visual range.