You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Do you like the Henri IV?

13 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,077 posts

I just unlocked and purchased the Henri IV. While I do like it better than the Saint Louis, I really don't like it nearly as much as the Des Moines. Sure, it fires a bit farther but also much more slowly. It's got torps but they are only of moderate range and few in number and I've yet to make any real use of them. It's fast but since it's not fast-firing and has no radar its use as a DD hunter is limited. Its shells are hard-hitting but it does less damage in a given amount of time than the Des Moines. The way I've set it up it's a bit tankier than the Des Moines, I'll give it that. I took the faster reload over the range mod. Would the range mod be better? I'm only doing moderate damage with it and just breaking even with eco flags so far. Any hints?

[WOLF3]
Members
27,507 posts
24,067 battles

I never felt too comfortable in super-bad concealment Cruisers.  I've had some good games in Moskva, Henri IV, but I never felt comfortable in them like I did with say, Zao.   Some DD could be creeping around and keeping you spotted when you desperately need to disengage.  Hard to do that when you got BB concealment in a Cruiser.  Hard to maneuver and save the ship if you're permaspotted like a BB and the red team is waiting for you to try to do a 180.

Then again, my best performing, most tested Tier X Cruiser is Des Moines, but it's a stressful experience because I play her in support of caps :Smile_Default:  You f--k up, you're done.  Cap Support with a Radar Cruiser is a dangerous job, and you mess up, you're conveniently the closest, squishiest thing to half the red team.

Personal feelings aside, that doesn't mean I don't respect Henri's ability to deal damage.  She'll HE Pen most everybody, even the 50mm deck armor ships, and if she can't HE Pen you, she'll torch you.  Her AP will even Overmatch RN CLs.  And if her player is smart, she's at range with Engine Boost going, making her annoying to hit.  And when your DCP is on cooldown, here comes the MBRB HE Barrage.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[PIMPS]
Members
1,529 posts

Henry is a flanker that's where she shines the range mod helps in that role.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,624 posts
14,196 battles

She is a beast and you will love her when you run down a red DD.

• Cool 1

Members
1,724 posts
11,336 battles

You use your speed to dodge shells/flank/reposition, you use Ap on anything showing you side including BBs at long range, and you use your HE to burn things down.(IFHE for the pen on BB decks)  You pop your MBRB to set fires on someone who just put them out, you use it on someone showing you side so you can farm them for cits/lots of alpha damage, and you pop it to smash DDs you are running down.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,457 posts
25,582 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

She’s a Tier ten. Tier ten is a chore, not fun...

...but I suppose that’s just me.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,266 battles
2 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Indeed. Henri is a ship that demands you wait for and exploit openings with patience, but boy howdy is she equipped to exploit those openings!  Take the range mod and speed boost mod, then set up to play evasively. Live in the back line and on the edge, harassing enemies with those massive HE bombs she can drop and burst-firing with your MBRB. And when you see a broadside cruiser (or even battleship honestly) you load AP and wait for the perfect moment to reach out and BLEP them into oblivion.

She may have that iconic 3x3 AB-Y layout, but this is honestly not a ship to compare to Des Moines. Henri plays more like Ibuki: Staying at arms-length and bombarding the enemy from afar. That is of course until you see someone who's isolated, THEN you run them down and murder them with EXTREME PREJUDICE for their error.

2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Personal feelings aside, that doesn't mean I don't respect Henri's ability to deal damage.  She'll HE Pen most everybody, even the 50mm deck armor ships, and if she can't HE Pen you, she'll torch you.  Her AP will even Overmatch RN CLs.  And if her player is smart, she's at range with Engine Boost going, making her annoying to hit.  And when your DCP is on cooldown, here comes the MBRB HE Barrage.

Her speed is her biggest advantage and basically makes her the Georgia of cruisers. As a clanmate of mine says:

Roses are red,
House walls are plaster;
Destroyers are fast,
But Georgia is faster.

A player in an Henri can pick their fights and disengage at will, then when you think they're off bothering someone else *BAM!* back in black with that MBRB pelting you from some angle you didn't expect. If you've got teammates that can hold like a Kremlin, Grosser Kurfurst, or Yamato she's a great hunter-killer and flanking ship for Ranked too. Mine was my go-to for the lower levels until I just decided to hit the easy button and bow-tank the crap out of everything with Kremlin.

[UNC]
Members
769 posts
5,887 battles

I do not like Henri.  Or to be more accurate, Henri does not like me.  However I am quite sure it is me and not the ship; everyone says Henri is a beast, but I simply cannot make it work for me.  At all.  Been a port queen virtually since I got her.  Small sample size, but I struggle to do damage in Henri and just eat huge damage if a BB even looks my way.  So yeah... my relationship with Henri is not an amicable one.

[SPTR]
Members
27,158 posts
16,615 battles

She's one of my fav t10 ships, I never like the dm for her static playstyle and her sluggishness for a cruiser but hey different players like different ships and thus have different playstyles with them.

[INTEL]
Members
3,118 posts
17,094 battles

I think it's my highest damage ship.  It requires you use some different tactics than most other cruisers.

[FORM]
Members
173 posts
1,392 battles
7 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I just unlocked and purchased the Henri IV. While I do like it better than the Saint Louis, I really don't like it nearly as much as the Des Moines.

They're two entirely different ships with very different roles. In PvP, the DM is an island hugger with radar who can punish ships with its great AP pen angles and rate of fire. The Henri is a very fast range fighter who lends support from range. The torps on it are great in an emergency when you can't keep range, but they're definitely not something to rely on. 

[OO7]
Members
560 posts
6,974 battles

If you are comparing HIV to DM, you are playing HIV wrong.  HIV is a pure anti bb cruiser.  Aside from Krem and Repub, you can pretty much single handily 1v1 any bb in the game at range.  HIV was really great at the 8.0 meta where there were plenty of bb, and you can solo a flank against 2-3 bb.  Now due to the smol, there are less bb in game and HIV's impact is a lot lower.