You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
reza577

Ranked is a joke for BBs

54 comments in this topic

[-N-]
Beta Testers
152 posts
3,689 battles

I made it to rank 10... but i just cant play it anymore, mainly because i only have t10 BBs (and not kremlin)

Every Game i get yelled at by my team " go in, you are a BB" then the HE spam starts and i die in 30 sec tops.

And if i don't go in, people rage at me for sitting back and being a snipping.

I remember when pushing in as a BB meant you had to dodge torps. or angle the right way so you don't get citideled.(which meant you had to have at least some skill)

Currently there is no way to dodge HE spams, you either hug an island and do nothing.or go in guns blazing and die...

• Cool 7
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 8

[O7]
Members
1,493 posts
10,984 battles

spreadsheet says you are wrong, your opinion is irrelevant.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 5
  • Boring 6

[INTEL]
Members
13,252 posts
36,544 battles
Just now, reza577 said:

I made it to rank 10... but i just cant play it anymore, mainly because i only have t10 BBs (and not kremlin)

Every Game i get yelled at by my team " go in, you are a BB" then the HE spam starts and i die in 30 sec tops.

I remember when pushing in as a BB meant you had to dodge torps. or angle the right way so you don't get citideled.(which meant you had to have at least some skill)

Currently there is no way to dodge HE spams, you either hug an island and do nothing.or go in guns blazing and die...

The two Smolensk per match thing really sucks for BBs. That boat is just a pestilence. I can't imagine what the devs were thinking when they made us eat that. 

• Cool 3
  • Boring 4

[TARK]
Members
6,966 posts
2,623 battles

Shoot HE at Smol?

Also, people dont understand that successful pushes happen AFTER you have established an advantage over the immediate enemy ships with firepower...not before.

If people are demanding you push in the first 5 minutes, ignore them. They are fools.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,115 posts
8,344 battles

Just as a DD shouldn't cap under watch of radar, so too should a BB not push too hard under threat of spam. I'm not saying snipe, but you don't put balls to the wall when the wall is a meat grinder.

First you turn the meat grinder off, then you can do whatever you want with that poor wall.

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[KSC]
Members
658 posts
10,004 battles
2 hours ago, reza577 said:

German and Jap BBs are also armored against HE spam, though all BBs have enough armor to shatter all HE spam from Smolensk.  Superstructure is the only pen-able area.

The best cure for raging chatter is the "Block Messages" option. 

If your strategy is sound, you will climb.  If your strategy is weak, you won't.  Whining teammates don't alter that.

[PIMPS]
Members
1,546 posts

Rank is working as intended. Maybe try another ship type.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[T_O_P]
Members
417 posts
3 hours ago, reza577 said:

...and at that moment the same said teammates turn and run while you are stuck in a battle, can't disengage, cant turn (or you'll get citadeled), except melt and sink because there's 0 support cuz they al ran away. and they they will complain in chat how "this team sucks" etc.

Sounds about right? :Smile_great:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
6,579 posts
22,432 battles
1 hour ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Tell your team to fk off, don't listen to birdbrain players...period.

FTFY

Birdbrained players don't get you killed...only you can get you killed by listening (damn...that makes the birdbrained players statement wrong because you become a birdbrained player when you listen)...

4 hours ago, reza577 said:

So in summary...your title should read, "ranked is a joke for players that become birdbrained players by listening/doing what other birdbrained players tell them to do (ship type irrelevant for this summary)".

Smolensk is only OP against players that do what you described yourself doing...don't do those things...in ranked or any other mode.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WORX]
Members
11,133 posts
18,750 battles

To push or not to push, that is the question...

Well OP... If you dont sink any cruisers because of your cowardly play style then, you will lose.... A lot and often...

In domination matches... You have to push.... That is no negotiation there, you push and sink cruisers.

In regular battles? As a BB, you have one job... ESPECIALLY at high tiers... You have to sink cruisers...

High tiers, it will be evident if you know how to command your ship... When you do not, they will get on your case.... I am notorious in stating what ship class has/is failing as a group, halfway through the match. That includes me as well...

As a BB driver, if by the end of the match you sink some cruisers and still lost.. There is nothing you can do about that.. You did your ships designed role...

That is all you can do really. Just

• Know how to play the maps correctly.
  • Have some map awareness.
  • Know your ships capabilities.
  • Be consistent in the execution.

That is it... Easier said then done... It is what it is...

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Boring 5

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,266 battles

Battleships basically have two roles:

Beat up on smaller ships.
Tank.

If you can do at least one of those two and do it well in a match, then you're pulling your weight even if you die. Unfortunately like with everything else in the game it all boils down to map and ship awareness: Knowing what to shoot, where to be, and when to do what.

[SALVO]
Members
25,074 posts
26,458 battles
21 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

Battleships basically have two roles:

Beat up on smaller ships.
Tank.

If you can do at least one of those two and do it well in a match, then you're pulling your weight even if you die. Unfortunately like with everything else in the game it all boils down to map and ship awareness: Knowing what to shoot, where to be, and when to do what.

I disagree.

BBs are expected to trash cruisers, but they're also expected to take out enemy BBs as well.  This rock-paper-scissors nonsense is pretty silly.  If it was true, you'd be seeing DDs regularly doing 200-300k damage per ranked battle, but we all know that that's not the case.  BBs and some cruisers are going to be the heavy damage dealers.  The role of DDs in Ranked leans more towards spotting, capping, and engaging enemy DDs, with doing damage to larger ships whenever possible without voiding their ability to do the other things.

I never believe that it's the job of a BB to tank damage.  It's their job to do as much damage as possible for as long as possible.  And the latter part of that sentence (i.e. for as long as possible) occurs because the BB player works his BB's armor and uses its Heals and DCP's, and HP to accomplish this.  Being a god damned pin cushion is NOT part of any BB's job description.  But using their defensive and survival capabilities in furtherance of their job of damage and kills production is.   "Tanking damage" has never sunk a single enemy ship.  DOING damage does. 

• Cool 4

Members
843 posts
4,679 battles

According to the stats I've played 42 games. I reached rank 10.

The vast majority of games have been decided by which team gets the most HE smoke spam ships.

If you have two Smolenks and they have zero. You win, barring a miracle.

• Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,266 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I disagree.

BBs are expected to trash cruisers, but they're also expected to take out enemy BBs as well.  This rock-paper-scissors nonsense is pretty silly.  If it was true, you'd be seeing DDs regularly doing 200-300k damage per ranked battle, but we all know that that's not the case.  BBs and some cruisers are going to be the heavy damage dealers.  The role of DDs in Ranked leans more towards spotting, capping, and engaging enemy DDs, with doing damage to larger ships whenever possible without voiding their ability to do the other things.

I never believe that it's the job of a BB to tank damage.  It's their job to do as much damage as possible for as long as possible.  And the latter part of that sentence (i.e. for as long as possible) occurs because the BB player works his BB's armor and uses its Heals and DCP's, and HP to accomplish this.  Being a god damned pin cushion is NOT part of any BB's job description.  But using their defensive and survival capabilities in furtherance of their job of damage and kills production is.   "Tanking damage" has never sunk a single enemy ship.  DOING damage does. 

On the first part, that's a fair point. If you can deal damage to another ship regardless of type and you don't think that the reprisal will get you killed, then go for it. Battleships, destroyers, cruisers, and carriers are all valid targets. Thing is that a lot of battleship players seem to focus on battleship v. battleship combat when the real DPS ships can often be cruisers, and taking them out is generally much easier for a battleship than the other classes. It's the quickest way to whittle the enemy team's guns down. Now should you keep spamming at a fleeing Des Moines if the enemy Montana is showing broadside at close range? Hell no, give Monty a paddlin' when you get the chance. But don't target battleships exclusively.

To the second point, there's a difference between being the tank and simply getting shot at, and what you described is tanking: You take the POTENTIAL damage so that your team doesn't. Will some of that potential damage translate to actual damage? Yes. But if you're tanking correctly then those hits will be in the minority. A recent Ranked match that I had in my Kremlin is a perfect example of this. I would argue that I pulled my weight and did more than my part to get victory, but if you look at my damage done? 80k in a ranked match isn't a lot. Sure I got a couple of citadels, but that's not really game-changing. I must be joking, right? Well the 4 MILLION potential damage that it took to bring me down says otherwise. That's 4 million damage my teammates didn't take, it's several minutes of several ships' attention that I held so that my allies could pick them off. I may not have *directly* killed those ships that died while I was alive and getting the crap pounded out of me, but I gave my team the opening to bring them down. That's not something to dismiss.

• Cool 4

[RKLES]
Members
12,554 posts
14,283 battles
1 hour ago, macktkau2 said:

According to the stats I've played 42 games. I reached rank 10.

The vast majority of games have been decided by which team gets the most HE smoke spam ships.

If you have two Smolenks and they have zero. You win, barring a miracle.

If opposing team gets some good torpedo boat DDs all it takes is 2-3 torpedo hits on full HP Smolensk and down it goes below the waves. Although sometimes even just 1 torpedo hit does the job. And I should know as I have been playing a lot of DD and CA battles this Ranked season. Torpedoes vs a CL does not end well for the CL if it’s hit,  those things may spit HE shells quickly, but man do they lack torpedo protection. (Why do you suppose there are so many Shimakaze DDs running around in Ranked battles lately? They have figured out Smolensk lacks radar and is vulnerable to torpedoes) :cap_haloween:

Members
1,624 posts

The OP is just making the case of 'how in hell  is it possible that my BB can be countered' by inferior ships in ranked. Why are you wasting your time arguing against  such high level philosophical concept? This Forum is increasingly toxic and it's overall a waste of time...Yet highly useful for those who hate competition and like dirty and unfair advocacy...and guess what? WG listen to them...:Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 1
  • Confused 2
  • Boring 2

[NG-NL]
Members
6,187 posts
9,843 battles

IDK, I've had good success with my Conqueror. That super heal makes HE spam very tankable.

Not to mention her HE is pretty good at citting CLs and Smolensk if hit the citadel. Had too many overpens w/ AP, so simply HE the CLs and it works.

Aside from Montana, none of the T10 BBs work out too well against HE spam. That's my experience anyway.

[ANK-A]
Members
1,171 posts
10,310 battles
8 hours ago, Taichunger said:

The two Smolensk per match thing really sucks for BBs. That boat is just a pestilence. I can't imagine what the devs were thinking when they made us eat that. 

I've recently gotten Henri and in the first 5 games I've average significantly more damage in it in both HE and fire than in the many games I have in Smolie. 

Just saying.

BTW - if the armor nerf goes through on Smolie, I suspect I will have to stop using it in CB as it's fragility will become too big of a liability.  It just won't be able to kite well enough anymore.  Sort of ironic that part of Smolie that irritates everybody (Smoke) isn't what they nerf....  no, they nerf it's ability to do open water normal CL stuff.

Edited by YouSatInGum

[INTEL]
Members
13,252 posts
36,544 battles
5 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

I've recently gotten Henri and in the first 5 games I've average significantly more damage in it in both HE and fire than in the many games I have in Smolie. 

Just saying.

The issue isn't how much damage it does. It's that it is zero fun to play in matches against that ship. Henri I have no quarrel with, enjoy matching wits with it...

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
822 posts
7,323 battles
1 hour ago, Reymu said:

IDK, I've had good success with my Conqueror. That super heal makes HE spam very tankable.

Not to mention her HE is pretty good at citting CLs and Smolensk if hit the citadel. Had too many overpens w/ AP, so simply HE the CLs and it works.

Aside from Montana, none of the T10 BBs work out too well against HE spam. That's my experience anyway.

HE is very capable of citadel hits on Smolensk with large shells, good tactic there.

Gotta disagree about Montana though, she burns down from HE spam just like the others. AP spam from Minotaur can be almost as nasty too, just nice that those don't start fires.

Edited by Diesel_Thunder

[DUDS]
Members
101 posts
8,407 battles

Ranked is completely broken, but enough “experts” of the game will support the [edited] explanations that the developers will continue to push this fiasco simply because they are in full money grab mode.  Just look at the high number of complete slaughters that are occurring...notice how many Tier X players just magically forget how to play the game?  It’s a joke, but will WoW fix it?  Not a chance. 

And, Kremlin won’t help you, it burns as well as any BB AND has no spotter planes. 

Edited by Jake_Miller_67
Content
  • Cool 1

[KW]
Banned
623 posts
10 hours ago, reza577 said:

Just play randoms is more challenging and rewarding 

[RMRGD]
Members
455 posts
22,753 battles

BBs dont take caps until much later in the game

Smolensk are a serious problem for BBs.   They HAVE to be focued

Much duca duca in tier 10

[FDK]
Members
1,263 posts
1 hour ago, deresistance said: