Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
radioactivchpmnk

Georgia Help

12 comments in this topic

Members
9 posts
2,767 battles

I need support here, as I'm burned out and feel like I've wasted coal. 

I got Georgia as my first coal ship, and it was no easy decision. After weeks of online reviews, stream watching, and debating; I settled on Georgia. Something fun, a bit out of my usual BB play style. Figured I'd secondary her and have fun. After all that was the determining factor between JB, Smol, and Thund, as I wanted something new and fun. I've read about it being easy to over extend, I read about the 2x3 guns being a learning curve. I figured 'I got this'. WRONG. Something is fundamentally wacke up and I am more frustrated that I should be. Aiming module in last slot, limited captain points means secondarys are a hit or miss, but that's fine, because that's not where my frustration lies. Its with the guns and their seeming arbitrary rules:

Here's whats going on; I cant seem to get any consistency with them, nor anywhere near the CC/streamers success. I keep getting Pens with 1k damage, broad side targets within 10k range that just, sorta sail away.

Example. Lyon 11km turns hard to get all her guns on me, over rotates. I think 'this is it, you've made mistakes, FIRE!'  shells gonna land just forward midship, on a damn near perfect broad side: 2 over pens, 4 pens, 6k damage. Where my citadel? Where's my damage? Those are super heavy US AP 457mm shells that did minimal damage to a ship that should have just been punished. Lyon fires back and I take 9k damage and I'm bow on, angled a little left, about 5 degrees or less. Alright, RNG frowned on me, lets go again. Even less, 3 over pens, 2 pens, 1500 damage. Lyon fires, 7k. 

At this point I'm kind of just done, because this has been my experience with Georgia. Landing hits on CAs, CLs, and BBs that haven't made the best life choices infront of a Georgia, and I get NOTHING. One game I straight full salvo a Roon at 13 km and bounced my shells. Bounced of what I have no idea, because he wasn't moving, and no angling to me AT ALL. I can only assume the plunging fire, just nicked the side of the hull. The next salvo straddles it, the third does 1000 damage with 1 pen and an over pen. Meanwhile Roon is over there HE nuking me. Roon is in the open, and starts sailing backwards towards me and the point. Couldn't kill it, barely scratched it actually. It took my NC to make the Roon realize they were in a bad spot and book it out. 457s?  Nope, bottom tiered NC? Yes.

And I guess what bothers me, is when I watch people play Georgia, they catch other ships off guard and just slap them. Like you get a citadel, you get damage, you get sunk. I get none of that and I'm usually hitting my targets. I'll get 50 hits, have 40 pens with less than 35k damage. Hell one game I nailed 39 pens, but only  27k worth of damage. I just don't get it! 

I guess I don't understand where the fun is. If I wanted to do only 1500-300 a salvo, I'd just play a cruiser. Then I'd be firing one every 10 seconds or less, with fire chance. BBs are just... not fun to play any more. Its boring and frustrating to position well, to play well an then just get steam rolled by RNG that decides the 457 super heavy shouldn't do anything. Its boring to be on fire ALL THE DAMN TIME (Smolensk can eat [edited]). It's boring to take 4-5k to an HE salvo, then throw out 2k with penetrations. It's boring to watch shells impact right under gun turrets to get nothing for it. Like is this what WoWs has become? Was always this way and I just didn't see it before? I thought it was just HOOD, bad luck, even bad play. I took time to relearn, refocus; make sure it wasn't me that was the weakest link. After all, everyone loves Georgia, they still love the whole BB line. And at this point, I realize I'll never play pro, but I know its not me every time. Something else is off, and I'm starting to think Georgia is just overrated. The meta to heavily favors HE, and fast firing ships. 

I'm desperate to make Gerogia work, because it seems to for everyone else, and I really, really wanna love this ship.

Edited by radioactivchpmnk
  • Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,115 posts
8,346 battles

I'd call Georgia the ultimate co-op BB. Once upon a time, I played 200 co-op matches with mo to finally figure out how to play BBs properly. If you feel you need to get better at Georgia, my suggestion is simple: take her into co-op, where broadsides are plentiful and brawling is a guarantee.

That said, she's a bit of a flanker, truth be told. Fastest BB in the game, bar none. If you need to set up a cross fire, she's basically the very best BB for this. That said, her guns are super accurate, but trolly. Only 6 guns, so you can get some really interesting results with that accuracy at times.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
1,042 posts
18,049 battles

I am only now beginning to get a handle on Georgia myself. Initially I was playing it more like a traditional U.S. BB. That really didn't work very well. I have since changed my tactics a bit and am having much more success. If you are willing to post up a replay here (or email it to: icop.na@gmail.com) I am glad to watch it and offer some thoughts, or to make a video of it that you can watch. I am no expert, but I am doing much better with it than my first few games. If you decide not to share a replay, no worries. Just makes it easier to offer suggestions if I know what you are doing now. 

Here's one I played early today. Liking the ship more and more, honestly.

*Edit to add: Also, what is your current captain build?

Respects,

Am

Edited by Amracil
  • Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,484 posts
25,685 battles
2 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

I'd call Georgia the ultimate co-op BB. Once upon a time, I played 200 co-op matches with mo to finally figure out how to play BBs properly. If you feel you need to get better at Georgia, my suggestion is simple: take her into co-op, where broadsides are plentiful and brawling is a guarantee.

Same.

Haven’t played her anywhere but Co-op.

[POP]
Members
1,124 posts
9,542 battles

I love my Georgia,  I use it to do one of two things.  Either push through a weak cap and flank enemy using your speed to avoid long range incoming fire and catch up to the flank of the enemy team or I use it to piss of the enemy team and use the speed to kite away and wear them down as they chase me into a crossfire. 

Things not do to;

Get into a brawl with more than one ship or with any ship that has shots on your side.

Sit stationary and try to bow tank anything. 

Play her like a really fast heavy cruiser with massive accurate guns.

[TACT]
Members
56 posts
9,675 battles

I just got a Georgia, and I'm not finding the guns that accurate yet. Salvo goes all over the place. Captains skill or module may help with that?

[POP]
Members
1,124 posts
9,542 battles
3 hours ago, blopplop_2019 said:

I just got a Georgia, and I'm not finding the guns that accurate yet. Salvo goes all over the place. Captains skill or module may help with that?

Must run the accuracy mod.

Members
2,430 posts
13,297 battles

Hey

I have to admit that I have not gotten Georgia after playing my wife's Georgia a few times and couldn't get the guns to work either (worse than Germans IMHO), then there is the squishy armor, just get on it's broadside or brawl it and the Georgia melts.  Im still debating on getting it, but hesitant.  Do I really want it?  Or wait for another something coming down the road.  I started with German BB's and like them very well, and they are better with the recent change they got which was much needed.  Georgia?

Pete

[FCIS-]
Members
2 posts
4,736 battles

Thanks for the post. I'm in the same boat of deciding on my first coal ship. In between Georgia and JB for their credit earning potential. Was leaning JB, but this tips the scales a bit more. 

Edited by sn0wglyd3r

Members
2,430 posts
13,297 battles

Hey

I got Georgia yesterday in a Christmas container and I must say that she is a good ship, maybe a little fragile on the side but my first 3 of 4 games were over 100K+ (best was almost 132K in game 2).  The worst was about 48K, due to a lack of spotting and a smoked up Smolensk and a unspotted Shima.  I have mine setup different than my wife's who I first played and was not impressed with.  Overall, I'm happy with it, even though I'm only in for maybe 10 games or so, averaging around 70-80K damage.

Pete

Sign in to follow this