You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Aurora_7

A manageable sized fleet

32 comments in this topic

[AK-49]
[AK-49]
Members
374 posts
7,589 battles

I just sold the 4 Italian ships I had - a tier I destroyer, and IV, V and VI cruisers, all acquired in the Italian campaign missions.

I had no real complaints with them but I find that since I haven't even started much with Russian, English and German cruisers much, my harbor was a bit too crowded.

I know there are those here with literally dozens of ships but I could never see myself rotating around so many while I'm still trying to get the most of my own modest (in comparison) sized fleet). 

Does anyone have a preference for their fleet size or are you more a 'gimmee more ship!' fleet admiral?

Edited by Aurora_7
spelling

[RLGN]
Members
14,523 posts
25,710 battles

I keep anything I don’t get hacked off about, especially if it has sentimental value.

Still have most of my first year ships.

Sold a bunch of early ships from later lines I don’t intend to play again.

Have maybe 200 ships in port?

Part of that was WG gave out a tonne of port slots in events and daily containers about 2 years ago.

Members
3,690 posts
13,281 battles

Ill probably keep it around 100 when I get that many port slots.

Premiums, never delete.

Tier10s I keep for stuff like coal/steel/snowflake/frenchflake events.

I sell all tier 4 and under unless premium, partially cause I dislike those tiers, partially because they are relatively cheap to rebuy if needed. 

Some ships, like Estimated_prophet, I keep for sentimental value.

[SYN]
Members
3,689 posts
22,768 battles

I've got all the tech tree ships except the CV's and a lot of prems. No need to sell any of them as I use the filter options in the carousel and primary ship indicator to manage which ship to play.

• Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,266 battles

File me under the "no such thing as too many ships" crowd. I recently passed the 200 mark and there's still a lot more to get!

Of course one thing that simplifies life for us "collectors" is the primary label. Now all the ships that you're actively working on or play often are up at the front, and the rest of your port queens are filed away ready to be searched for when the time is right, like if your clanmates want to run a Nurnberg division for nostalgia's sake or something.

That said, I've also got more "primary" ships than some people have ships in their entire port, so... Yeah, I have a problem.

Members
1,454 posts
17,282 battles

I like to keep my fleet at around 100 or so. That's big enough to keep some lower tier sentimental ships, have at least a few ships from all the national lines and have all the ship types represented. Hell I even have a few CVs and I stopped playing those after the rework.

It's enough ships of different types and nationalities that I can accomplish any mission that WoWS can come up with but it's still manageable with all upgrades mounted and many 19pt or near 19pt commanders. It often isn't an easy thing to sell off a ship but some are easier than others. I've sold off the Texas like 3 different times as I keep winning her in one way or another.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,188 posts
13,585 battles
1 hour ago, Aurora_7 said:

I just sold the 4 Italian ships I had - a tier I destroyer, and IV, V and VI cruisers, all acquired in the Italian campaign missions.

I had know real complaints with them but I find that since I haven't even started much with Russian, English and German cruisers much, my harbor was a bit too crowded.

I know there are those here with literally dozens of ships but I could never see myself rotating around so many while I'm still trying to get the most of my own modest (in comparison) sized fleet). 

Does anyone have a preference for their fleet size or are you more a 'gimmee more ship!' fleet admiral?

"Know," I don't.

[PVE]
Members
19,888 posts
12,128 battles
1 hour ago, Aurora_7 said:

I had know real complaints with them but I find that since I haven't even started much with Russian, English and German cruisers much, my harbor was a bit too crowded.

Put me in the keep them all slot. I have 278 ships and 31 port slots. I stocked up on port slots when they were 75 dubs each one Christmas.

If you had kept the T5 & T6 for just a few more days, you could have played one co-op battle each to get the 900-ish coal they represent in 8.11's snowflakes.

[POP]
Members
4,481 posts
11,623 battles

I normally keep all of the ships I unlock at t5 and up for various snowflake events, along with a couple t4 and lower ships that I still like playing and all premiums. If I get to the point where I need an open slot, I'll normally sell off the t3 and 4 and then occasionally the t5s that I don't play much any more. Pretty much anything else I keep unless I absolutely need a space and don't want to buy a new slot. Even  year or two ago, I'd be likely to keep a fair number of t4s and some of my more liked t3s, but as I've filled out my fleet with higher tiers and have premiums that can fill the roles of some of the lower tiers for division purposes, almost any tech tree ship t4 and below gets sold once I research the next ship. 

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07

[ALWC]
Members
1,188 posts
14,362 battles

225 and counting. I keep everything t8 and up for the bonuses like steel at Christmas and anniversary gifts. Kept a lot of under t8 that are fun to play and all premiums I get

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,894 posts
21,894 battles

I have 94 in port - all premiums. I have an additional 96 slots and 128 tech  tree ships researched. I have enough to play with my premiums and therefore enough coin to buy back and outfit all my tech tree ships, twice, if I need to.

Still too many ships taking up space....

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,566 battles
2 hours ago, Aurora_7 said:

I have 211 that include all my tier 1 ships, the tier 4 CVs, the entire Italian CL/CA line all the other lines are missing tiers 2, 3 and 4. The rest are tier 2 to 9 premiums. 

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,676 posts
16,442 battles

UCL Institute of Education (IOE) GIF

My preferred fleet size is ALL OF THEM!!!

Hilarious Gif GIF

[CLARE]
Members
572 posts
4 hours ago, throwawayforumalt said:

i want a port slot container option....

It is in Try Your Luck containers.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,847 posts
4 hours ago, Aurora_7 said:

I have over 200 ships now.  I don't see why a "lot" of ships in your port is a problem.  Selling them is always a credit loss if you ever by them back again.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,206 posts
9,535 battles

There are two groups of ships I don't usually keep when I grind to tier 10 tech trees

One is any tiers below 5, and the other Tiers 8 & 9 because none of them are usable in ops and I tend to skip them all using free xp, the only ships I have in those tiers are either premiums or tech tree ships that I grinded through before I built up millions of free xp.

Currently have every tier 10s save for the steel ones.

[ARRSE]
Members
200 posts
1,402 battles

As others have pointed out, with Snowflake events and similar, there is really no reason to get rid of any ship. They all have earning potential.

The only downside - apart from locked up credits and equipment - is that the port view becomes very difficult, even with "compact carousel" and similar views.

Actually, I'm hoping for a mod author to come out with a variation on the port view: one in which you can "hide" unused ships in some kind of "folder", so that your remaining "active" ships can be viewed in larger scale in the carousel.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,816 posts
14,813 battles

These are the ships I never sell:

1) Premiums, however useless.

2) Ships I won as early unlocks.

3) Ships I won in in-game events or on streams.

4) Ships I felt inclined to put a permacamo on.

That was my rule up until the end of this year. Now that we've had a bunch of events with the snowflake mechanic giving coal and event tokens, and are likely to have more, I am resolved never again to sell any T5+ ship.

[TARK]
Members
7,049 posts
2,639 battles

Free2play players need to sell ships they dont play...if only for the silver credit value locked into them.

Plus, it's very difficult to obtain port slots if you are free2play.