You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
sidewinder00

Some thoughts on all the new and upcoming Cold War ships

13 comments in this topic

[SRMC]
Beta Testers
3 posts
7,624 battles

Having so many of the new ships added or coming to the game be 1950s designs (Colbert, Halland-class, Ostergotland, Friesland, ect.) got me thinking about  what happened to a certain other  "WW2" online game that went down the road of adding overpowered modern vehicles and increasing the maximum tier not too long ago. What happened there, and what I really don't want to see here, is the introduction of totally new weapons systems and tiers. I know Wargaming has already said they wont be adding missiles or anything like that, but Wargaming says a lot of things.

Just to be clear, i have no problem with getting new fun and interesting ships. As long as they're balanced to fit in with the rest of the tier 9s/10s, then there's no issue. I've just got this uncomfortable nagging feeling of deja vu that eventually we'll start to see tier 11 and 12 ships from the 1970s with new gadgets and performance that totally outclasses everything else.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
8,391 posts
14,418 battles
3 minutes ago, sidewinder00 said:

I know Wargaming has already said they wont be adding missiles or anything like that, but Wargaming says a lot of things.

They also said there would never be submarines or sellable Premium Ships above T8, so anything is possible.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
3,148 posts
26,150 battles
16 minutes ago, sidewinder00 said:

Having so many of the new ships added or coming to the game be 1950s designs (Colbert, Halland-class, Ostergotland, Friesland, ect.) got me thinking about  what happened to a certain other  "WW2" online game that went down the road of adding overpowered modern vehicles and increasing the maximum tier not too long ago. What happened there, and what I really don't want to see here, is the introduction of totally new weapons systems and tiers. I know Wargaming has already said they wont be adding missiles or anything like that, but Wargaming says a lot of things.

Just to be clear, i have no problem with getting new fun and interesting ships. As long as they're balanced to fit in with the rest of the tier 9s/10s, then there's no issue. I've just got this uncomfortable nagging feeling of deja vu that eventually we'll start to see tier 11 and 12 ships from the 1970s with new gadgets and performance that totally outclasses everything else.

They have to stay in business so you answered your own question . 

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,521 battles
21 minutes ago, sidewinder00 said:

As long as they're balanced to fit in with the rest of the tier 9s/10s, then there's no issue.

Balance is in the hands of the players. If more modern ships are introduced then one can simply obtain them and then refrain from using 1944 models if they might see 1960s+ models. I see no need for WG to make the WW2 and early post WW2 ships compatible with ships 10+ years newer.  

[SACH]
[SACH]
Members
1,001 posts
59 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

They also said there would never be submarines or sellable Premium Ships above T8, so anything is possible.

This is true ....they had mentioned it a long time ago ....never Premium ships above certain teir . And this was a ships game and had no room for subs.

WarGaming you so silly!!!!!

:Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Versili

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,264 posts
12,810 battles

There are already missiles in the game. 

They are called the planes. 

• Cool 2

[-K-]
Members
8,391 posts
14,418 battles
5 minutes ago, chewonit said:

There are already missiles in the game. 

They are called the planes. 

Don't forget, Hood also has rockets.

Members
197 posts
1,338 battles
1 hour ago, sidewinder00 said:

What happened there, and what I really don't want to see here, is the introduction of totally new weapons systems and tiers. I know Wargaming has already said they wont be adding missiles or anything like that, but Wargaming says a lot of things.

Let's hope they don't get completely up-to-date or else every game will involve staring at a seemingly empty Ocean map for 19 minutes followed by a sudden flurry of mushroom clouds and an end screen.

[RKLES]
Members
12,554 posts
14,283 battles
1 hour ago, sidewinder00 said:

Missiles would be too complicated as you would then get into the realm of a lot of things that would end up too complex and game breaking. Some Tanks and Warships that are from the 1950s are in WG games because they can fit them in as the technology is still similar enough to late WWII technology. And have to say with tanks give me a good solid WWII tank instead of the post WWII tanks that have been added to WOTB, give you a hint armor and some times gun caliber were lessened considerably on some tanks. Although some vehicles such as the T95 TD are really nice heavily armored, large guns, but of course very slow since I believe the idea was to help with defensive lines against Communist countries, but the T95 TDS were considered impractical even for that sort of thing. And in WG games T95 while strong often gets swarmed by faster tanks including heavy tanks lol. Or let’s take a look at some of the “medium tanks” that are Cold War era and some of which are out armored by WWII light tanks, lol you can imagine how those fare in urban brawls... Yeah I’ll take my Tiger and Maus tanks against those lol.

So the point I am making is that post WWII vehicles while newer, are not always better in WG games. Strip away the ability to have missiles and look at how some of the most modern ships in the world today would be like in the game with their reduced gun armaments and armor. Imagine only having 1 or 2 single barreled main guns that a good HE hit could knock out or destroy.

[RKLES]
Members
12,554 posts
14,283 battles
31 minutes ago, Versili said:

This is true ....they had mentioned it a long time ago ....never Premium ships above certain teir . And this was a ships game and had no room for subs.

WarGaming you so silly!!!!!

:Smile_teethhappy:

Lol well they tested the waters by adding premium X tanks to WOT and WOT Blitz which did well so then their eyes turned to WOWs... And honestly it’s been alright with ships like Salem and Somers as neither are OP or able to be obtained without having some experience in playing the game. Same goes for Stalingrad which is not that much different from Moskava really. Yoshino has some strengths, a lot of weaknesses, and I think it may not be as strong as Zao to be honest.

Or to use another example the upcoming premium IJN DD Hayate, it’s current stats according to the Wiki closely resembles Gearing with a few slight differences between them such as Gearing able to have 10.5, 16km, or 13km torpedoes depending on what you mount and how you do the captain skills. Hayate will only get 12km torpedoes, but can mount TRB like Kagero, Harekaze, and Hagumo in exchange for giving up smoke. There are a few more things that are give and take between them, but still rather similar even in terms of AA guns, HP, mobility, and even Concealment. So Hayate while useful and welcome to those of us that use IJN torpedo boat DDs, it will not be OP either.

So despite WG adding in X premiums they seem to be well thought out and balanced as to not upset the balance of things with the tech tree lines. Smolensk might be the exception, but there are other threads already hotly debating about that particular ship lol.

• Cool 1

[TARK]
Members
6,910 posts
2,612 battles

I'd much prefer we expanded the tiers below 4 with the pre-WW1 era than try to expand into the cold war era.

At least the combat meta from that time matches what WG and the playerbase thinks is a good meta.

[PVE]
Members
6,534 posts
22,432 battles
1 hour ago, Versili said:

And this was a ships game and had no room for subs.

WG never actually said subs weren't being introduced specifically because this was only "a ships game"...the only official WG comment came from Chieftain's video saying they looked & they don't work w/the meta.

But w/just a slight(ly significant) loss of the player base the CV rework handled that issue by removing multiple squadrons in the air at 1 time/CV & reduced the CVs to only 1 squadron at a time making subs feasible.

WG's contention w/subs was never that they were too OP against ships (that was wholly & totally the player base in the forums/Reddit/etc)...WG's contention was that in the RTS CV meta subs were too UP...& as they have always actually wanted subs in the game (so much so that they designed & tested...aka "they looked"...a sub to try & make the ARP collaboration subs work before that collaboration ended)...they just stayed closed mouth about replying so as not to have to hear all the anti sub ranting that they are receiving today from way back then.

BTW...somebody just recently posted a thread (w/a link to an official WG article) saying all the APR ships will have a doubloon value of 4500 doubloons which indicates to me (clarifyer...this is my assumption based on the article & not an official WG statement) that the ARP collaboration was just put on hold until subs could become feasible & more than likely will be returning w/the introduction of the ARP subs...not sure if the 4500 doubloon value will be the same for the subs or if the subs camo will get any bonuses because as I said before it is just my assumption that the ARP subs are coming.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[ARCO]
Members
846 posts
1,306 battles

Actually thegamethatshouldnotbementioned has arrived to estate of the art helicópteros and very modern and capable planes such as the F4Phamtom.

If WG gets into this way we will see Aegis frigates with long range antiship missiles in not a long time.

Destructor-USS-Arleigh-Burke-lanzando-mi