Sign in to follow this  
wolfman757

Bit of WWII history

11 comments in this topic

Members
147 posts
732 battles

Di yo know that an HOUR before the attack on Pearl harbor the U.S.S Ward spotted, shelled and sank a Japaneses mini sub as it tried to get inside the sub gates ? For years in the 70's I was taught that Japan fired the first shot, then with the advent of internet and the original history channel I saw it again and again Myth Busters even tried to prove weather or not a destroyer could o tat and said its not probably possible.........well......I have this book my dad left me when he died, called " Destroyers of 60 years" he got it because he was a plank owned on the U.S.S Bainbridge DLGN 25 in 62, in that book it has a picture of the U.S.S.Ward with that sub hauled up out of the water with hole shot through the conning tower. this is a B/W WWII picture,  my dads friend took in while he was stationed with my dad on the U.S.S.Ward December 7th, 1941, it made it into that book and I have PROOF that WE fired the first shot, it was done because they KNEW what was abut to happen because the Japaneses always put the mini subs in an area to assist and observe

And yes I can post a picture to prove it

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,426 posts
19,312 battles

Probably quite common knowledge on this forum. Certainly been discussed many times.

[WPORT]
Members
5,929 posts
10,951 battles

More and more has come to light in the years & decades since the events, as people have had the wherewithal to document the events surrounding December 7th., 1941.

What is common knowledge now, might have been overlooked by others.
Thanks for sharing.

[GWG]
Members
7,041 posts
13,639 battles

That's quite a stretch to say the US fired the first shot of WW2....

Firing a shot..   Hmmmm...   Could that be like launching a torpedo, dropping a bomb, or maybe ....

SENDING A 300+ PLANE ATTACK FORCE INTO ANOTHER COUNTRY'S SOVEREIGN TERRITORY ???

You know, there was a whole chain of events happening across the world leading up to this.  An hour before the attack, the Japanese were beyond the point of stopping themselves.

Those Midget Subs COULD NOT BE RECALLED.  Even if the air attack was cancelled, they were to enter that harbor and attack the US fleet.

THEY were the first shots fired.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
8,395 posts
14,443 battles
44 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

That's quite a stretch to say the US fired the first shot of WW2....

Firing a shot..   Hmmmm...   Could that be like launching a torpedo, dropping a bomb, or maybe ....

SENDING A 300+ PLANE ATTACK FORCE INTO ANOTHER COUNTRY'S SOVEREIGN TERRITORY ???

You know, there was a whole chain of events happening across the world leading up to this.  An hour before the attack, the Japanese were beyond the point of stopping themselves.

Those Midget Subs COULD NOT BE RECALLED.  Even if the air attack was cancelled, they were to enter that harbor and attack the US fleet.

THEY were the first shots fired.

Even worse when the US likely knew the attack was coming.

[GWG]
Members
7,041 posts
13,639 battles
1 minute ago, Ace_04 said:

Even worse when the US likely knew the attack was coming.

During the Cold War, we knew the Soviets were massing for an attack.  We were prepared.

We trained and simulated attack after attack.  There were variations, like domestic uprisings and the soviet seizure of Iceland.

Each item was a sequence of events leading to total global thermonuclear war....  And the likely end of Mankind.

In 1941, tensions were rising between Japan and the US.  There were drills and false alarms.  We were convinced they were attacking in October.  The entire fleet sortied twice.

The Japanese fleet carriers were 'missing' again, so there was a heightened alert.  But how many false alarms do you have to go through before getting a jaded view of the matter?

Yeah, sure..  Someone shot at something they 'thought' was a periscope.  OK..  Thanks.  We'll pass that along for the morning briefing..  Over and out.

[GWG]
Members
7,041 posts
13,639 battles
On 12/7/2019 at 2:39 PM, Klaatu_Nicto said:

Isn't that the Belgrano at the end?

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
831 posts
19,265 battles
14 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

Isn't that the Belgrano at the end?

You are correct. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARA_General_Belgrano#/media/File:USS_Phoenix_(CL-46)_steams_down_the_channel_at_Pearl_Harbor_on_7_December_1941_(NH_50766).jpg

December 7, 1941

image.thumb.png.eee54a2d98f8d813e39882e7ce920530.png

May 2, 1982

image.png.f4cce9a8ef597a5f2a6eeff64ccbd334.png

Edited by Klaatu_Nicto

Members
147 posts
732 battles

Things like Pearl Harbor stay with you forever, its now 2019, almost 2020, and to this day I can light the the brush pile , but I run like hell once I do, like I cant be a fireman either, cooking on the grill is a challenge if I think about the past, in 1981 when the EA6B crashed on eh USS Nimitz , there was a picture taken from an SH3 helo on the port side of the ship of three new sailors in front of the island in Dress Whites, holding their Dixie cups and orders in hand watch an airplane come in for a landing, I was the one n the center, the plane coming in lit my entire world on fire, I watched the man standing next to me burn to death while there was not a damn thing I could do to help him it happened so fast

Sign in to follow this